Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Clubs, Critique, RFF Projects, Salon > RFF Photo Projects > RFF Imagery Promo

RFF Imagery Promo This forum is to discuss ideas on how to better promote Photographic Imagery at RFF.

Recently completed project
Old 03-24-2012   #1
Lauffray
Invisible Cities

Recently completed project

Hello everyone

Here's a small documentary(ish) project I completed not too long ago and I'd like some feedback about it. I haven't done that much project work before, I consider myself a beginner in that regard so I'd appreciate any critique I can get.

I don't like to have to link elsewhere, but I only got the people's permission to post on my own website, so please check it here: http://bit.ly/GHBb5h

Here's a preview though

thanks

Website - Flickr

Old 03-24-2012   #2
mdarnton

It's a small thing, but I notice on your Flickr page that you call it an essay on violin making. It's really about violin repair and restoration--I don't see a bit of making in the photos. Either side might take it as a discredit for it to be called violin making, since that's quite a different thing--like visiting a car repair shop and calling it automotive manufacture. The guys wearing the suits and ties at the front of the shop will say it doesn't matter, but the people at the bench know that it does to them. Not because one is better, but because they are proud of what they do.

Old 03-24-2012   #3
kevin_v

These are very nice. There's really a feeling of presence. I especially like 14. (Also a beginner – haven't quite found a project myself, though)
Computer Scientist, Camera Doodler

Old 03-24-2012   #4
delubo_hu

very nice photos

Old 03-24-2012   #5
Lauffray
Invisible Cities

mdarnton: you are correct, it is mostly about repair and restoration, although they told me that they do occasionally make them from scratch too, though rarely

Website - Flickr

Old 03-25-2012   #6
Teuthida
-

Good work. Some free advice: ignore other people's advice.

Old 03-25-2012   #7
zauhar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuthida View Post
Good work. Some free advice: ignore other people's advice.
I think your work looks great! I didn't look at your flickr page yet, but you have posted some examples already that I remember.

Teuthida gives some good advice - I don't know about you, but I kick myself over a large percentage of my photos. I usually know what I've f-cked up.

That said, there are a number of fine folks on RFF (Lynnb, JohnCarter and Paulfish are just three who come to mind) who are willing to give technical advice, for which I am grateful.

You need hear advice like "try a tighter crop", not potentially derogatory remarks about the artistic value of your efforts. Unfortunately you open yourself up to the latter when you ask "What do you think of this?" in a public forum.

Randy
Canon 7/50mm f1.4
Leica IIIf/Summitar/Collapsible Summicron
Yashica Electro 35

Old 03-25-2012   #8
Lauffray
Invisible Cities

teuthida, zauhar: thanks for the feedback, this is exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for. I don't typically do much documentary work, so like you said, I can tell when I've messed up, but this is new territory to me

Website - Flickr

Old 03-26-2012   #9
shadowfox
Personal Photography

A cohesive set of good B&W.
Nice work.

Old 03-27-2012   #10
nighstar
eternal beginner

i don't have any really meaningful feedback to give, but i really enjoyed looking through your photos. they made me miss playing the violin.

Old 07-20-2012   #11
stratcat

Very nice documentary sets! I liked the 'Spanish Christmas' very much (as well as the violin repair). Congratulations!

Old 06-06-2014   #12
daves

It would be much better to follow an instrument being made than this. These are competent enough images but they look like they were done in an afternoon. Your travel pictures, on the other hand, tell much better stories. Get closer - both physically and emotionally, spend more time on stories, create narratives and choose images that say or mean something to you. That won't always translate to other viewers, but often it will