Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Digital Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M"

Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M" Discussions about the Leica M8 /M 8.2 / M9 / M9-P/ M-E / M Monochrom / M10 aka "M": Leica digital M mount rangefinder cameras. Naming the new digital M the "Leica M" is VERY unfortunate as it will only confuse newbies with other Leica M cameras of the the past. Happily there is room for confusion with only the past 59 years of Leica M production ... since Leica introduced the Leica M system in 1953. All Hail for the Leica Marketing Department learning Leica M history!

Old 03-20-2012   #51
lagrassa

[quote=Beemermark;1836581]... If a M8 cost $4750 new, then used in exc+++ condition it is going to sell for ~ $2200 (even if never actually used).....

quote]

I bought my exc +++ M8 more than a year ago for $2200 and it still seems to be worth about the same. I have no desire or need to have the latest and greatest, and am willing to be "one-step behind" and take advantage of the new model introduction to move up one step. So, if the M10 is real, I just might be looking to sell my M8 (hopefully for about what I paid for it) and get an M9. I wouldn't and didn't want to pay the price for a new M9 (or a new M8 for that matter) when they were introudced, and would certainly not for the M10, which will command an even higher price. I have not had any problems whatsover with my M8 and have been very happy with it, despite all the negative problem reports that abound, and that mine (thankfully) doesn't exhibit. The main reason I would move up to the M9 is for the full-frame, and secondly for the higher resolution. All my Leica glass of course is still there and perfectly usable, and I could even sell all my UV/IR-cut filters to boot!
Leica IIIc
Leica D-Lux 6
Mamiya 645AFD
Nikon F w/ FTn Photomic finder
Nikon D300

the lowest I've seen so far...
Old 03-22-2012   #52
kkibrisli

the lowest I've seen so far...

Cosmetic condition plays an important role but still
this at $4300 is the lowest I've seen so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
Its no secret many internet pundits are predicting the M10 will be introduced by, or even before Photokina 2012 (Sept).

In other words, there will be a lot of used M9 and M9P's up for sale as their owners move on to the M10.

I can't help but wonder how low used M9 / M9P prices will go later this year.

Time will tell.

Stephen

Old 03-22-2012   #53
micromontenegro

Any foreseeable improvement over the M9 would be relatively small, so I can't see the M9 prices going that downhill. It will not be like FF against crop factor.

Unless the M10 is a FF, M mount digital Barnack. Then I'll eat my words.

Old 03-22-2012   #54
sojournerphoto

If the M10 is the mythical 40Mp, high iso champion with in body IS, liveview and hybrid finder accepting M mount lenses with rf and electroinc focus confirmation and a silent shutter and it costs £2k then M9 prices could fall to les than £2k.

Old 03-22-2012   #55
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

If the M10 arrives with a different sensor that gives it usable ISO of 6400, like many of the current digitals, the M9 could be old hat in a lot of people's minds IMO.

It's the only real quantum leap that I can envisage.

flickr

Old 03-23-2012   #56
Turtle

I personally hope they ditch the base loading mechanism and design a new body. It is time.

I think if the high ISO performance is dramatically better it will significantly affect M9 prices, but who knows what to expect?

Old 03-23-2012   #57
thegman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
If the M10 arrives with a different sensor that gives it usable ISO of 6400, like many of the current digitals, the M9 could be old hat in a lot of people's minds IMO.

It's the only real quantum leap that I can envisage.
Unless they go down the route of the M9 Titan style of frame lines, that's an interesting change.

High ISO is cool and everything, but personally I'm happy with 400/800 ISO on film, and see no reason to change on digital. I don't own an M9, but the relatively low performance on high ISO would be a non-issue for me. Hell, I liked my Sigma DP-1, which 400 ISO really is your limit, and ideally, ISO 100.

Old 03-23-2012   #58
Sparrow
Stewart McBride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
I personally hope they ditch the base loading mechanism and design a new body. It is time.

I think if the high ISO performance is dramatically better it will significantly affect M9 prices, but who knows what to expect?
... they may base the new body on the M5 ... that would help the used price of the M9

Stewart McBride

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 03-23-2012   #59
mfunnell
Shaken, so blurred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
... they may base the new body on the M5 ... that would help the used price of the M9
And even lead to a digital CL

...Mike

My RFF top 10(12). My flickr photostream has day-to-day stuff, while dA has some of my better shots.

Old 03-23-2012   #60
Sparrow
Stewart McBride

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfunnell View Post
And even lead to a digital CL

...Mike
... just a re-badged x-pro?

Stewart McBride

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 03-23-2012   #61
mrrobleyleica

It's all a great way of getting us excited, they launched the M9 on 9.9.2009 didn't they? When there are plenty still waiting for their M9s, with large deposits made, how do they deal with that?
If they have a B&W version why would they call it an M10? So, perhaps a B&W M10 on the 10th and a 36MP HD video M11 on the 11th!

Old 03-23-2012   #62
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post

If they redesign the M and f-it up, there is a chance that the M9 becomes more desirable.

Old 03-23-2012   #63
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrobleyleica View Post
When there are plenty still waiting for their M9s, with large deposits made, how do they deal with that?
Who is still waiting? If they are, they better ditch the ****ty store they have their order with because they are readily available.

Old 03-23-2012   #64
250swb
-

How low prices can go I suppose depends on how attractive the M10 is.

If it was a mile away from the 'simple camera' that many Leica photographers want you may get a few extra M9's on the market, but the price may go up, not down. Simplicity in Leica's has a price premium, look at the M7 and MP dichotomy. The M7 is a more capable camera than the MP, but people wet themselves when they see the more expensive MP. I would predict that if Leica don't carry on producing the M9 alongside an M10 model anyway (as the 'simple' camera) , then secondhand prices will reflect the 'I don't want any of that M10 nonsense' and remain bouyant.

Steve

Old 03-24-2012   #65
noimmunity
registered niche user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
If they redesign the M and f-it up, there is a chance that the M9 becomes more desirable.
There is also a chance that if they move to a CMOS sensor (as they have said), both the M8 and the M9 will be prized for unique imaging characteristics of the CCD sensor at lower ISO levels.

Fuji XP1 8/14/23/35/55-200 (x1.5)
Sigma DP Merrill 19/30/50 (x1.5)
ZI, R4A 24/50/90 + 21/35/85 and a 40.

搬到畫國後免疫系統變得超強,所過的生活宅到不行!

The old adage says: Seeing is believing. To me, that doesn't mean that the world seen is the truth, it means rather that seeing is a field in which the purity of heart is expressed--or not, depending upon whatever happens to cloud that purity at any given moment.

flickr
Flickr

Old 03-24-2012   #66
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

It doesn't matter to me at all. I bet it won't really matter to most Leicaphiles for a while too.
The only way the M10 or whatever it will be called, will affect me is my selling price of my M9 in case I have to sell it to feed myself. Unfortunately and imminent possibility.

They're gonna have to find some new names soon. We're already into Beretta M9 territory. More than a few people have thought that when I'm out with my M9 it meant I was carrying a Beretta 9mm 92FS. Soon we'll get into carbine nomenclature!

"I don't need no teenage queen. I just want my M14!"

Conjecture is fun.

Phil Forrest

Old 03-24-2012   #67
ChrisLivsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrobleyleica View Post
When there are plenty still waiting for their M9s, with large deposits made, how do they deal with that?
Not in the UK, M9 in stock M9P in stock at all the dealers you can check on line. While there has not been a flood of used cameras the flow is steady but they are not being snapped up anything like as quickly and prices are easing down but not plummeting.
The "as new" returns which pop up which offer savings over new new "new" are sticking.
I read this that buyers at the top end are waiting for the news and the more price sensitive are slowly drawing the prices into affordability.
From the new releases of the big SLRs the M9 has started to look left behind in the ISO race, it was never challenging and the pixel count is also looking so-so. The very affordable Nikon D7000 with 18MP and not bad at all higher speeds is due for replacement
The M8 quickly found a level after the M9 arrived and that has pretty much held with a recent decline as the M9 has eased down. I expect a similar pattern if the M10 is a replacement, if it is B+W (and the premium that would involve because of the lower expected sales would reduce the chip bulk buy discount, but bulk in Leica terms ) then M9 will continue a slow decline as I suspect the rumours of a M11 (in November !!!) will be rife.

www.flickr.com/groups/td-201/

Photographer not a job description - a diagnosis.

Old 03-24-2012   #68
Richard G

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojournerphoto View Post
If the M10 is the mythical 40Mp, high iso champion with in body IS, liveview and hybrid finder accepting M mount lenses with rf and electroinc focus confirmation and a silent shutter and it costs £2k then M9 prices could fall to les than £2k.
My spy tells me Leica aren't interested in going that high with 135 format Megapixels - ceiling is about 24 from his discussions with them in Solms.

Old 03-24-2012   #69
Ron (Netherlands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLivsey View Post
Not in the UK, M9 in stock M9P in stock at all the dealers you can check on line. While there has not been a flood of used cameras the flow is steady but they are not being snapped up anything like as quickly and prices are easing down but not plummeting.
The "as new" returns which pop up which offer savings over new new "new" are sticking.
I read this that buyers at the top end are waiting for the news and the more price sensitive are slowly drawing the prices into affordability.
From the new releases of the big SLRs the M9 has started to look left behind in the ISO race, it was never challenging and the pixel count is also looking so-so. The very affordable Nikon D7000 with 18MP and not bad at all higher speeds is due for replacement
The M8 quickly found a level after the M9 arrived and that has pretty much held with a recent decline as the M9 has eased down. I expect a similar pattern if the M10 is a replacement, if it is B+W (and the premium that would involve because of the lower expected sales would reduce the chip bulk buy discount, but bulk in Leica terms ) then M9 will continue a slow decline as I suspect the rumours of a M11 (in November !!!) will be rife.
I guess that now you could say there is a flow of second hand M9´s, look only at the LUF site, almost 1/3 of the offered camera´s are M9's, People seem especially ´dumping´ the first - grey - one, I guess since they want a better looking chromium or black one, a M9P or are waiting for the M10 coming later this year.

btw guess the price of the M10 will be about Euro 7000 + since Leica did their biggest investment until now in a new sensor. Problem for us as users is that it is likely that the first M10's will have a lot of child deseases since Leica had to develope the new sensor from scratch, they couldn't use Kodaks expertise from the current sensors.

Leica: Urleica, IIa synch conversion, M2, M6 TTL Millenium

My Flickr

Old 03-25-2012   #70
rrdaz30

Quote:
Originally Posted by noimmunity View Post
There is also a chance that if they move to a CMOS sensor (as they have said), both the M8 and the M9 will be prized for unique imaging characteristics of the CCD sensor at lower ISO levels.
Great comment! I was thinking the same thing.

Rick