Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Rangefinder Forum > The Business Of Photography

The Business Of Photography This is the place to ask questions about the business of being a photographer -- including but not limited to business set up, marketing, copyright, and the ever popular how much to charge.

Rights to photographs for estate agents (UK)
Old 03-15-2012   #1
agour

Rights to photographs for estate agents (UK)

Hey,

Just wondered if there are any legal boffins out there who know about the rights relating to taking real-estate photographs in the UK.

Im looking to start doing 360 VR tours for estate agents and similar. As a start up, I only have photographs taken from my friends houses etc (to put on my website as a portfolio).

I was going to offer a local estate agent one or 2 houses for free, on the premise that I can use said photos on my website. Obviously if they like the work, they can then pay me to do additional houses for them.

Now, how would the rights to these photos work? Obviously I took the photos, but however they are taken in someones private home. I wouldnt want to go through the hassle of getting them to sign a contact over a free job that was designed to benefit both parties.

So really, would it be OK for me to publish the photos with the verbal permission of the estate agent, or is there a load more legal loopholes I would need to jump through?

Thanks for any help,
agour

Old 03-15-2012   #2
jesse1dog
Gone Digital

On the basis that I don't know what I am talking about - my wife says that this is the case most of the time - I would hazard a guess that interior photos are taken with the express and only purpose of marketing the property. That I suspect would be the tacit agreement that the potential seller would give the agent. Outside photos taken whilst standing within the potential sellers boundaries would come in the same category. No difficulites (?) with photos taken from public spaces. This has always been my understanding when selling properties, so this is a lay persons perspective.

jesse

'A photograph shows a slice of life that is already history; just a piece of a jig-saw that you will never see completed!'

Lumix FZ5/38 - Lumix LX3/7 - Lumix GF1 and some others not in use!.

My Gallery