Leica M9/M9-P
Old 02-28-2012   #1
eric23

Leica M9/M9-P

Good Day All,

I am thinking about getting a Leica M9 or M9-P?

I sold all my Nikon stuff last year when I done being a Pro.I now want to get one nice camera and a lens to take photos with.

I am not sure if I should pay the extra 1K to get the M9-P or not and what would be the best lens to start with? I was thinking of just getting the a 50mm F2.5 for now and saving up for a better one next year.

I use to have a M6 a lond time ago and wish I would have kept the glass.

Thanks,

Eric

Old 02-28-2012   #2
Jobin

If I had the option I definitely would. I'd go for the m9 and save the extra money for some sweet glass.

Old 02-28-2012   #3
Mike Ip
Vagabond Light Collector

In my opinion the M9-p isn't worth the extra money. If you want the M9 and logo cover, used some gaffers tape. Get a giottos cover for the LCD and that's much less than $1000 - albeit not as nice looking.

50 2.5 is certainly a nice start. I prefer to go a little wider. I'd suggest a Zeiss 35 f/2 or a maybe a Leica 35 2.5

Old 02-28-2012   #4
eric23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ip View Post
In my opinion the M9-p isn't worth the extra money. If you want the M9 and logo cover, used some gaffers tape. Get a giottos cover for the LCD and that's much less than $1000 - albeit not as nice looking.

50 2.5 is certainly a nice start. I prefer to go a little wider. I'd suggest a Zeiss 35 f/2 or a maybe a Leica 35 2.5
Hi Mike,

Thanks for all the info.

Does the Zeiss lens work with the M 8/9?

Are you talking about this one??

https://www.thecamerastore.com/produ...-t-35mm-f20-zm

Thanks,

Eric

Old 02-28-2012   #5
250swb
-

The Zeiss isn't as compact as a 35mm Summicron, but the price alone has to make up for that.

There is no difference between the M9 and M9-P other than cosmetic and a posh glass LCD screen. Protect the M9 screen with a Giottos or iPhone screen protector and you are good to go for less money, the price of another CV lens or similar.

Steve

Old 02-29-2012   #6
jsrockit

I can confirm that the M9 and a 50mm Summarit 2.5 is a great combo.

Old 02-29-2012   #7
SDK
Exposing since 1969.

I’ve been using a Zeiss 35mm/2.8 C Biogon on my M9P and it’s a fantastic lens. I manually set the lens selection to 35mm/2 11310/11311. It’s slightly better than the Leica 35mm/2.5 Summarit (very slightly) but less convenient without the 6 bit code on the mount.

Old 02-29-2012   #8
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Iíve been using a Zeiss 35mm/2.8 C Biogon on my M9P and itís a fantastic lens. I manually set the lens selection to 35mm/2 11310/11311. Itís slightly better than the Leica 35mm/2.5 Summarit (very slightly) but less convenient without the 6 bit code on the mount.
or the focusing tab... (but I love the c-biogon too).

Old 02-29-2012   #9
eric23

I am thking of getting a Leica Summarit 50mm F2.5 to start off with. Should I do that or spend the extra cash and get the F2.0 or F1.4?

Old 02-29-2012   #10
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Depends what you want. Certainly the Summilux 50 asph is one of the best, maybe the best- lenses ever built, but if you will not use its potential it is money wasted. The Elmarit and Summicron are both amazing lenses in their own right with each a different concept. First decide what you need/want in a lens, then compare the prices with your financial reality and then decide.

jaapvphotography

Old 02-29-2012   #11
kbg32
neo-romanticist

The M9 and the M9P are the same camera except for the LCD and the M9P having traditional logos. Put the extra cash towards a good lens. Zeiss lenses are great! Can't go wrong with the ZM 35/2 Biogon.

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keithís Gallery

Old 02-29-2012   #13
SDK
Exposing since 1969.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric23 View Post
I am thking of getting a Leica Summarit 50mm F2.5 to start off with. Should I do that or spend the extra cash and get the F2.0 or F1.4?
That depends on how much low light shooting you want to do. If you plan to do a lot, you should consider a faster lens because the high ISO (>800 ISO) performance of the M9 gets rather noisy, and a faster lens will allow you to more easily handhold shots indoors at night, or under artificial light.

I havenít used the 50mm/2.5 Summarit, but itís a newer and better design than the 50mm/2 Summicron. The 50mm/1.4 Summilux ASPH is supposed to be fantastic, but itís quite expensive. The older 50mm Summiluxes are an antique design which will give softer results wide open. This appeals to a lot of people but not me, and used 50mm Summiluxes are not cheap either.

Here is my experience with some 50mm RF lenses in a nutshell: Iíve been using an old Canon screw mount 50mm/1.8 in my M9P; the lens is quite nice, not too soft, though it wonít focus as close as modern M-mount 50mm lenses. I have also used the Zeiss 50mm/2 Planar ZM on film and thatís a fantastic lens. Also good is the 50mm/1.5 Sonnar ZM, which has a lot of character at wider apertures with a sharp central image, but does suffer from focus shift at some apertures that make it slower to use and require you to learn your lens and take the shift into account. For a while I had a Konica KM 50mm/2 Hexanon, but was not really impressed with it wide open, it showed some smearing of detail across the whole frame that I found unacceptable, but maybe that was just my sample of it. Overall the Planar 50mm was the best of the lot, and I might get another one some day as I regret selling it.

Old 02-29-2012   #14
eric23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
That depends on how much low light shooting you want to do. If you plan to do a lot, you should consider a faster lens because the high ISO (>800 ISO) performance of the M9 gets rather noisy, and a faster lens will allow you to more easily handhold shots indoors at night, or under artificial light.

I havenít used the 50mm/2.5 Summarit, but itís a newer and better design than the 50mm/2 Summicron. The 50mm/1.4 Summilux ASPH is supposed to be fantastic, but itís quite expensive. The older 50mm Summiluxes are an antique design which will give softer results wide open. This appeals to a lot of people but not me, and used 50mm Summiluxes are not cheap either.

Here is my experience with some 50mm RF lenses in a nutshell: Iíve been using an old Canon screw mount 50mm/1.8 in my M9P; the lens is quite nice, not too soft, though it wonít focus as close as modern M-mount 50mm lenses. I have also used the Zeiss 50mm/2 Planar ZM on film and thatís a fantastic lens. Also good is the 50mm/1.5 Sonnar ZM, which has a lot of character at wider apertures with a sharp central image, but does suffer from focus shift at some apertures that make it slower to use and require you to learn your lens and take the shift into account. For a while I had a Konica KM 50mm/2 Hexanon, but was not really impressed with it wide open, it showed some smearing of detail across the whole frame that I found unacceptable, but maybe that was just my sample of it. Overall the Planar 50mm was the best of the lot, and I might get another one some day as I regret selling it.

Thanks for the info, I did not know about the ISO not working the best on 800.

I might look at the 50mm F2 or 35mm F2 to start then.

Old 02-29-2012   #15
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

The M9 is fine up to 1600 and even 2000 is quite acceptable, 2500 usable - if you expose correctly and use the latest version of LR or Photoshop. Many tests put it on par or just below the 5D2.
It is just a matter of technique to get excellent results.
Last night, ISO 1600 handheld. (=ISO 2000 on Canon) Summilux 50 asph.
The M9 may show a slight noise structure, but the Canon will lose detail and shift color in shots like this.

jaapvphotography

Old 02-29-2012   #16
Andrea Taurisano
il cimento

Quote:
Good Day All,

I am thinking about getting a Leica M9 or M9-P?

I am not sure if I should pay the extra 1K to get the M9-P or not and what would be the best lens to start with? I was thinking of just getting the a 50mm F2.5 for now and saving up for a better one next year.

Eric
Whether you should pay the extra 1K for a M9-P depends on how good care you'll take of your camera while carrying it, transporting it, storing it. Or alternatively on how well you can live with a scratched LCD.

Rembembering how irritating I found it to use the scratched LCD of my earlier M8, I didn't think twice before I chose a M9-P instead of a M9 when I upgraded last year. I couldn't care less of whether it has a red dot or not, but that scratchproof LCD made all the difference for me (and after almost one year of not too careful use, it's still just like new).

ilcimento.com

"If I knew how to take a good picture, I'd do it all the time", Robert Doisneau

Old 02-29-2012   #17
Andrea Taurisano
il cimento

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
The M9 is fine up to 1600 and even 2000 is quite acceptable, 2500 usable - if you expose correctly and use the latest version of LR or Photoshop.

Totally agree. But as you say it's pretty decisive to get the exposure right to not end up too grainy. But definitely usable at high ISO. Nice night shot BTW.

ilcimento.com

Old 02-29-2012   #18
eric23

Quote:
The M9 is fine up to 1600 and even 2000 is quite acceptable, 2500 usable - if you expose correctly and use the latest version of LR or Photoshop. Many tests put it on par or just below the 5D2.
It is just a matter of technique to get excellent results.
Last night, ISO 1600 handheld. (=ISO 2000 on Canon) Summilux 50 asph.
The M9 may show a slight noise structure, but the Canon will lose detail and shift color in shots like this.

Great photo, thanks for sharing.

Old 02-29-2012   #19
eric23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Taurisano View Post
Whether you should pay the extra 1K for a M9-P depends on how good care you'll take of your camera while carrying it, transporting it, storing it. Or alternatively on how well you can live with a scratched LCD.

Rembembering how irritating I found it to use the scratched LCD of my earlier M8, I didn't think twice before I chose a M9-P instead of a M9 when I upgraded last year. I couldn't care less of whether it has a red dot or not, but that scratchproof LCD made all the difference for me (and after almost one year of not too careful use, it's still just like new).
I just feel that this is my one ant only nice camera I am going to buy any day soon, so I don't mind spending the extra 1K to get the best one.

Old 02-29-2012   #20
jsrockit

Quote:
I just feel that this is my one ant only nice camera I am going to buy any day soon, so I don't mind spending the extra 1K to get the best one.
In that case, buy what you really want so you don't have to think about what could have been.

Old 03-01-2012   #22
ChrisLivsey

Quote:
Problem with digital, and you know that from Nikon, that "the best one" is only best for a few years, 3/5, then "the best one" is another dollop of cash. Having said that if you don't get the M9P version you will regret it

Fishing for shadows in a pool.
Louis Macneice

Old 03-01-2012   #23
250swb
-

Quote:
Yes but it is only a cosmetic difference. For now you could buy another lens and get on photographing stuff. Even if you don't go for an aftermarket LCD protector and if you really bugger up your LCD you could still spend the extra £1100 on an M9-P upgrade to your M9 much later, and it will come back like a new camera!

Steve

Old 03-02-2012   #25
Andrea Taurisano
il cimento

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencivilian View Post
^can that be done at any point? The update to m9-p cover and screen?
All can be done, if you can pay for it. But buying a M9 to have it updated to M9-P is not going to be cheaper than buying a M9-P directly. I would consider it an option only if my LCD is so beaten up that I need to do something about it anyway..

ilcimento.com

Old 03-02-2012   #26
jarski

M9P is cosmetic "upgrade" over base model as M8.2 is over M8. Leica just cashing in. I'd spend the difference on glass and money is making bigger difference.

Old 03-02-2012   #27
Archiver

For the past two years I've been shooting with a black-taped M9. From a moderate distance it is indistinguishable from a M9-P. I have an Acmaxx hard plastic screen protector on the back which takes care of the LCD.

I paid AUD$9300 for my M9 back in 2010. Thanks to a more favourable exchange rate and greater supply, they now go for about $7000-$7200. I sometimes think of how nice it would be to have that extra $2300 in my bank account, or invested in some good condition secondhand lenses.

Old 03-02-2012   #28
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencivilian View Post
^can that be done at any point? The update to m9-p cover and screen?
Yes it can. Leica still does the M8 updates as well.

jaapvphotography

Old 03-02-2012   #29
SDK
Exposing since 1969.

Does the M9 standard model have a glass screen protector or a plastic one?

Old 03-02-2012   #30
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

All of the screen protectors are glass. The M9 has regular glass, the M9-P or full M9-P upgrade has the sapphire coated glass which is much more scratch resistant but still not impervious. I think an awesome solution is to get the standard then get a Giottos or GGS glass protector. They stick on and protrude only one millimeter from the screen itself so there is effectively no bulk added when shooting.

Phil Forrest

Old 03-03-2012   #31
Richard G

I told my experts I wouldn't be looking at anything but a chrome M9-P. This morning before I set out to collect my latest negs and scans I wondered what I'd do after so much homework if they said, thanks to someone pulling out of an order: "There's the chrome M9-P you've been wanting..." Reader, I bought it.

Old 04-02-2012   #32
eric23

I think I am going to hold off untill the M10 comes out, What you think? Is the wait worth it?

I ordered up my lens now Leica 35mm 1.4

Old 04-02-2012   #33
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

And what features of the hypothetical M10 will make it worth holding off for? Don't forget the M11 will wipe the floor with the M10, so you have at least another four to five year wait ahead of you - Otoh - the M12 will be even more spectacular and play havoc with used M11 prices......

jaapvphotography

Old 04-02-2012   #34
eric23

Quote:
And what features of the hypothetical M10 will make it worth holding off for? Don't forget the M11 will wipe the floor with the M10, so you have at least another four to five year wait ahead of you - Otoh - the M12 will be even more spectacular and play havoc with used M11 prices......
True, But it might be worth it to me to wait a few months for a newer model, I plan I keeping this camera for a long time.

Old 04-02-2012   #35
jsrockit

Quote:
I think I am going to hold off untill the M10 comes out, What you think? Is the wait worth it?
Yes, it may be worth waiting until at least May for the announcement. Holding out until 2013? Maybe not.

Old 04-02-2012   #36
eric23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Yes, it may be worth waiting until at least May for the announcement. Holding out until 2013? Maybe not.
2013 will not work.

Old 04-02-2012   #37
jsrockit

It's a no brainer to wait until May for its announcement. Only a little over a month away.

Old 04-02-2012   #38
thegman

The rumour mill says there is an M10 in the works this year. Unless something odd happens, M9 price will go down. If you can wait, I'd do so.

Old 04-02-2012   #39
eric23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
It's a no brainer to wait until May for its announcement. Only a little over a month away.
It is going to be a long month

Old 04-02-2012   #40
kkibrisli

I read across several forums that there is a shortage of M9 sensor which is delaying the repair of some M9s with damaged sensors. I think this indicates that we will see the M10 sooner than later.