Leica M9/M9-P
Old 02-28-2012   #1
eric23
Registered User
 
eric23 is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 54
Leica M9/M9-P

Good Day All,

I am thinking about getting a Leica M9 or M9-P?

I sold all my Nikon stuff last year when I done being a Pro.I now want to get one nice camera and a lens to take photos with.

I am not sure if I should pay the extra 1K to get the M9-P or not and what would be the best lens to start with? I was thinking of just getting the a 50mm F2.5 for now and saving up for a better one next year.

I use to have a M6 a lond time ago and wish I would have kept the glass.

Thanks,

Eric
__________________
Leica M4-2 / 28 F2.8
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2012   #2
Jobin
Registered User
 
Jobin's Avatar
 
Jobin is offline
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 178
If I had the option I definitely would. I'd go for the m9 and save the extra money for some sweet glass.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2012   #3
Mike Ip
Vagabond Light Collector
 
Mike Ip is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York
Age: 36
Posts: 110
In my opinion the M9-p isn't worth the extra money. If you want the M9 and logo cover, used some gaffers tape. Get a giottos cover for the LCD and that's much less than $1000 - albeit not as nice looking.

50 2.5 is certainly a nice start. I prefer to go a little wider. I'd suggest a Zeiss 35 f/2 or a maybe a Leica 35 2.5
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2012   #4
eric23
Registered User
 
eric23 is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ip View Post
In my opinion the M9-p isn't worth the extra money. If you want the M9 and logo cover, used some gaffers tape. Get a giottos cover for the LCD and that's much less than $1000 - albeit not as nice looking.

50 2.5 is certainly a nice start. I prefer to go a little wider. I'd suggest a Zeiss 35 f/2 or a maybe a Leica 35 2.5
Hi Mike,

Thanks for all the info.

Does the Zeiss lens work with the M 8/9?

Are you talking about this one??

https://www.thecamerastore.com/produ...-t-35mm-f20-zm

Thanks,

Eric
__________________
Leica M4-2 / 28 F2.8
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2012   #5
250swb
-
 
250swb is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Peak District, United Kingdom
Posts: 860
The Zeiss isn't as compact as a 35mm Summicron, but the price alone has to make up for that.

There is no difference between the M9 and M9-P other than cosmetic and a posh glass LCD screen. Protect the M9 screen with a Giottos or iPhone screen protector and you are good to go for less money, the price of another CV lens or similar.

Steve
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-29-2012   #6
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC
Age: 43
Posts: 17,410
I can confirm that the M9 and a 50mm Summarit 2.5 is a great combo.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-29-2012   #7
SDK
Exposing since 1969.
 
SDK's Avatar
 
SDK is online now
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 444
I’ve been using a Zeiss 35mm/2.8 C Biogon on my M9P and it’s a fantastic lens. I manually set the lens selection to 35mm/2 11310/11311. It’s slightly better than the Leica 35mm/2.5 Summarit (very slightly) but less convenient without the 6 bit code on the mount.
__________________
Trip shutters, not people.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-29-2012   #8
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC
Age: 43
Posts: 17,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Iíve been using a Zeiss 35mm/2.8 C Biogon on my M9P and itís a fantastic lens. I manually set the lens selection to 35mm/2 11310/11311. Itís slightly better than the Leica 35mm/2.5 Summarit (very slightly) but less convenient without the 6 bit code on the mount.
or the focusing tab... (but I love the c-biogon too).
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-29-2012   #9
eric23
Registered User
 
eric23 is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 54
I am thking of getting a Leica Summarit 50mm F2.5 to start off with. Should I do that or spend the extra cash and get the F2.0 or F1.4?
__________________
Leica M4-2 / 28 F2.8
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-29-2012   #10
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.
 
jaapv's Avatar
 
jaapv is offline
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hellevoetsluis,Netherlands
Posts: 8,090
Depends what you want. Certainly the Summilux 50 asph is one of the best, maybe the best- lenses ever built, but if you will not use its potential it is money wasted. The Elmarit and Summicron are both amazing lenses in their own right with each a different concept. First decide what you need/want in a lens, then compare the prices with your financial reality and then decide.
__________________
Jaap








jaapvphotography
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-29-2012   #11
kbg32
neo-romanticist
 
kbg32's Avatar
 
kbg32 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 5,543
The M9 and the M9P are the same camera except for the LCD and the M9P having traditional logos. Put the extra cash towards a good lens. Zeiss lenses are great! Can't go wrong with the ZM 35/2 Biogon.
__________________
Keith

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keithís Gallery
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-29-2012   #13
SDK
Exposing since 1969.
 
SDK's Avatar
 
SDK is online now
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric23 View Post
I am thking of getting a Leica Summarit 50mm F2.5 to start off with. Should I do that or spend the extra cash and get the F2.0 or F1.4?
That depends on how much low light shooting you want to do. If you plan to do a lot, you should consider a faster lens because the high ISO (>800 ISO) performance of the M9 gets rather noisy, and a faster lens will allow you to more easily handhold shots indoors at night, or under artificial light.

I havenít used the 50mm/2.5 Summarit, but itís a newer and better design than the 50mm/2 Summicron. The 50mm/1.4 Summilux ASPH is supposed to be fantastic, but itís quite expensive. The older 50mm Summiluxes are an antique design which will give softer results wide open. This appeals to a lot of people but not me, and used 50mm Summiluxes are not cheap either.

Here is my experience with some 50mm RF lenses in a nutshell: Iíve been using an old Canon screw mount 50mm/1.8 in my M9P; the lens is quite nice, not too soft, though it wonít focus as close as modern M-mount 50mm lenses. I have also used the Zeiss 50mm/2 Planar ZM on film and thatís a fantastic lens. Also good is the 50mm/1.5 Sonnar ZM, which has a lot of character at wider apertures with a sharp central image, but does suffer from focus shift at some apertures that make it slower to use and require you to learn your lens and take the shift into account. For a while I had a Konica KM 50mm/2 Hexanon, but was not really impressed with it wide open, it showed some smearing of detail across the whole frame that I found unacceptable, but maybe that was just my sample of it. Overall the Planar 50mm was the best of the lot, and I might get another one some day as I regret selling it.
__________________
Trip shutters, not people.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-29-2012   #14
eric23
Registered User
 
eric23 is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
That depends on how much low light shooting you want to do. If you plan to do a lot, you should consider a faster lens because the high ISO (>800 ISO) performance of the M9 gets rather noisy, and a faster lens will allow you to more easily handhold shots indoors at night, or under artificial light.

I havenít used the 50mm/2.5 Summarit, but itís a newer and better design than the 50mm/2 Summicron. The 50mm/1.4 Summilux ASPH is supposed to be fantastic, but itís quite expensive. The older 50mm Summiluxes are an antique design which will give softer results wide open. This appeals to a lot of people but not me, and used 50mm Summiluxes are not cheap either.

Here is my experience with some 50mm RF lenses in a nutshell: Iíve been using an old Canon screw mount 50mm/1.8 in my M9P; the lens is quite nice, not too soft, though it wonít focus as close as modern M-mount 50mm lenses. I have also used the Zeiss 50mm/2 Planar ZM on film and thatís a fantastic lens. Also good is the 50mm/1.5 Sonnar ZM, which has a lot of character at wider apertures with a sharp central image, but does suffer from focus shift at some apertures that make it slower to use and require you to learn your lens and take the shift into account. For a while I had a Konica KM 50mm/2 Hexanon, but was not really impressed with it wide open, it showed some smearing of detail across the whole frame that I found unacceptable, but maybe that was just my sample of it. Overall the Planar 50mm was the best of the lot, and I might get another one some day as I regret selling it.

Thanks for the info, I did not know about the ISO not working the best on 800.

I might look at the 50mm F2 or 35mm F2 to start then.
__________________
Leica M4-2 / 28 F2.8
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-29-2012   #15
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.
 
jaapv's Avatar
 
jaapv is offline
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hellevoetsluis,Netherlands
Posts: 8,090
The M9 is fine up to 1600 and even 2000 is quite acceptable, 2500 usable - if you expose correctly and use the latest version of LR or Photoshop. Many tests put it on par or just below the 5D2.
It is just a matter of technique to get excellent results.
Last night, ISO 1600 handheld. (=ISO 2000 on Canon) Summilux 50 asph.
The M9 may show a slight noise structure, but the Canon will lose detail and shift color in shots like this.



__________________
Jaap








jaapvphotography
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-29-2012   #16
Andrea Taurisano
il cimento
 
Andrea Taurisano is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Age: 44
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric23 View Post
Good Day All,

I am thinking about getting a Leica M9 or M9-P?

I am not sure if I should pay the extra 1K to get the M9-P or not and what would be the best lens to start with? I was thinking of just getting the a 50mm F2.5 for now and saving up for a better one next year.

Eric
Whether you should pay the extra 1K for a M9-P depends on how good care you'll take of your camera while carrying it, transporting it, storing it. Or alternatively on how well you can live with a scratched LCD.

Rembembering how irritating I found it to use the scratched LCD of my earlier M8, I didn't think twice before I chose a M9-P instead of a M9 when I upgraded last year. I couldn't care less of whether it has a red dot or not, but that scratchproof LCD made all the difference for me (and after almost one year of not too careful use, it's still just like new).
__________________

ilcimento.com


"If I knew how to take a good picture, I'd do it all the time", Robert Doisneau
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-29-2012   #17
Andrea Taurisano
il cimento
 
Andrea Taurisano is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Age: 44
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
The M9 is fine up to 1600 and even 2000 is quite acceptable, 2500 usable - if you expose correctly and use the latest version of LR or Photoshop.

Totally agree. But as you say it's pretty decisive to get the exposure right to not end up too grainy. But definitely usable at high ISO. Nice night shot BTW.
__________________

ilcimento.com


"If I knew how to take a good picture, I'd do it all the time", Robert Doisneau
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-29-2012   #18
eric23
Registered User
 
eric23 is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
The M9 is fine up to 1600 and even 2000 is quite acceptable, 2500 usable - if you expose correctly and use the latest version of LR or Photoshop. Many tests put it on par or just below the 5D2.
It is just a matter of technique to get excellent results.
Last night, ISO 1600 handheld. (=ISO 2000 on Canon) Summilux 50 asph.
The M9 may show a slight noise structure, but the Canon will lose detail and shift color in shots like this.




Great photo, thanks for sharing.
__________________
Leica M4-2 / 28 F2.8
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-29-2012   #19
eric23
Registered User
 
eric23 is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Taurisano View Post
Whether you should pay the extra 1K for a M9-P depends on how good care you'll take of your camera while carrying it, transporting it, storing it. Or alternatively on how well you can live with a scratched LCD.

Rembembering how irritating I found it to use the scratched LCD of my earlier M8, I didn't think twice before I chose a M9-P instead of a M9 when I upgraded last year. I couldn't care less of whether it has a red dot or not, but that scratchproof LCD made all the difference for me (and after almost one year of not too careful use, it's still just like new).
I just feel that this is my one ant only nice camera I am going to buy any day soon, so I don't mind spending the extra 1K to get the best one.
__________________
Leica M4-2 / 28 F2.8
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-29-2012   #20
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC
Age: 43
Posts: 17,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric23 View Post
I just feel that this is my one ant only nice camera I am going to buy any day soon, so I don't mind spending the extra 1K to get the best one.
In that case, buy what you really want so you don't have to think about what could have been.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2012   #22
ChrisLivsey
Registered User
 
ChrisLivsey's Avatar
 
ChrisLivsey is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric23 View Post
I just feel that this is my one ant only nice camera I am going to buy any day soon, so I don't mind spending the extra 1K to get the best one.
Problem with digital, and you know that from Nikon, that "the best one" is only best for a few years, 3/5, then "the best one" is another dollop of cash. Having said that if you don't get the M9P version you will regret it
__________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Fishing for shadows in a pool.
Louis Macneice
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2012   #23
250swb
-
 
250swb is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Peak District, United Kingdom
Posts: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric23 View Post
I just feel that this is my one ant only nice camera I am going to buy any day soon, so I don't mind spending the extra 1K to get the best one.
Yes but it is only a cosmetic difference. For now you could buy another lens and get on photographing stuff. Even if you don't go for an aftermarket LCD protector and if you really bugger up your LCD you could still spend the extra £1100 on an M9-P upgrade to your M9 much later, and it will come back like a new camera!

Steve
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2012   #25
Andrea Taurisano
il cimento
 
Andrea Taurisano is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Age: 44
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencivilian View Post
^can that be done at any point? The update to m9-p cover and screen?
All can be done, if you can pay for it. But buying a M9 to have it updated to M9-P is not going to be cheaper than buying a M9-P directly. I would consider it an option only if my LCD is so beaten up that I need to do something about it anyway..
__________________

ilcimento.com


"If I knew how to take a good picture, I'd do it all the time", Robert Doisneau
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2012   #26
jarski
Registered User
 
jarski is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,256
M9P is cosmetic "upgrade" over base model as M8.2 is over M8. Leica just cashing in. I'd spend the difference on glass and money is making bigger difference.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2012   #27
Archiver
Registered User
 
Archiver is offline
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 781
For the past two years I've been shooting with a black-taped M9. From a moderate distance it is indistinguishable from a M9-P. I have an Acmaxx hard plastic screen protector on the back which takes care of the LCD.

I paid AUD$9300 for my M9 back in 2010. Thanks to a more favourable exchange rate and greater supply, they now go for about $7000-$7200. I sometimes think of how nice it would be to have that extra $2300 in my bank account, or invested in some good condition secondhand lenses.
__________________
~Loving Every Image Captured Always~
Archiver on flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2012   #28
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.
 
jaapv's Avatar
 
jaapv is offline
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hellevoetsluis,Netherlands
Posts: 8,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencivilian View Post
^can that be done at any point? The update to m9-p cover and screen?
Yes it can. Leica still does the M8 updates as well.
__________________
Jaap








jaapvphotography
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2012   #29
SDK
Exposing since 1969.
 
SDK's Avatar
 
SDK is online now
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 444
Does the M9 standard model have a glass screen protector or a plastic one?
__________________
Trip shutters, not people.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2012   #30
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker
 
Phil_F_NM's Avatar
 
Phil_F_NM is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Age: 40
Posts: 2,965
All of the screen protectors are glass. The M9 has regular glass, the M9-P or full M9-P upgrade has the sapphire coated glass which is much more scratch resistant but still not impervious. I think an awesome solution is to get the standard then get a Giottos or GGS glass protector. They stick on and protrude only one millimeter from the screen itself so there is effectively no bulk added when shooting.

Phil Forrest
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2012   #31
Richard G
Registered User
 
Richard G's Avatar
 
Richard G is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 37,47 S
Posts: 4,248
I told my experts I wouldn't be looking at anything but a chrome M9-P. This morning before I set out to collect my latest negs and scans I wondered what I'd do after so much homework if they said, thanks to someone pulling out of an order: "There's the chrome M9-P you've been wanting..." Reader, I bought it.
__________________
Richard
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2012   #32
eric23
Registered User
 
eric23 is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 54
I think I am going to hold off untill the M10 comes out, What you think? Is the wait worth it?

I ordered up my lens now Leica 35mm 1.4
__________________
Leica M4-2 / 28 F2.8
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2012   #33
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.
 
jaapv's Avatar
 
jaapv is offline
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hellevoetsluis,Netherlands
Posts: 8,090
And what features of the hypothetical M10 will make it worth holding off for? Don't forget the M11 will wipe the floor with the M10, so you have at least another four to five year wait ahead of you - Otoh - the M12 will be even more spectacular and play havoc with used M11 prices......
__________________
Jaap








jaapvphotography
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2012   #34
eric23
Registered User
 
eric23 is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
And what features of the hypothetical M10 will make it worth holding off for? Don't forget the M11 will wipe the floor with the M10, so you have at least another four to five year wait ahead of you - Otoh - the M12 will be even more spectacular and play havoc with used M11 prices......
True, But it might be worth it to me to wait a few months for a newer model, I plan I keeping this camera for a long time.
__________________
Leica M4-2 / 28 F2.8
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2012   #35
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC
Age: 43
Posts: 17,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric23 View Post
I think I am going to hold off untill the M10 comes out, What you think? Is the wait worth it?
Yes, it may be worth waiting until at least May for the announcement. Holding out until 2013? Maybe not.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2012   #36
eric23
Registered User
 
eric23 is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Yes, it may be worth waiting until at least May for the announcement. Holding out until 2013? Maybe not.
2013 will not work.
__________________
Leica M4-2 / 28 F2.8
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2012   #37
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC
Age: 43
Posts: 17,410
It's a no brainer to wait until May for its announcement. Only a little over a month away.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2012   #38
thegman
Registered User
 
thegman is offline
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 37
Posts: 3,826
The rumour mill says there is an M10 in the works this year. Unless something odd happens, M9 price will go down. If you can wait, I'd do so.
__________________
My Blog
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2012   #39
eric23
Registered User
 
eric23 is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
It's a no brainer to wait until May for its announcement. Only a little over a month away.
It is going to be a long month
__________________
Leica M4-2 / 28 F2.8
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2012   #40
kkibrisli
Registered User
 
kkibrisli is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7
I read across several forums that there is a shortage of M9 sensor which is delaying the repair of some M9s with damaged sensors. I think this indicates that we will see the M10 sooner than later.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 13:16.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.