Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Digital Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M"

Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M" Discussions about the Leica M8 /M 8.2 / M9 / M9-P/ M-E / M Monochrom / M10 aka "M": Leica digital M mount rangefinder cameras. Naming the new digital M the "Leica M" is VERY unfortunate as it will only confuse newbies with other Leica M cameras of the the past. Happily there is room for confusion with only the past 59 years of Leica M production ... since Leica introduced the Leica M system in 1953. All Hail for the Leica Marketing Department learning Leica M history!

Old 03-01-2012   #26
jarski

M9P is cosmetic "upgrade" over base model as M8.2 is over M8. Leica just cashing in. I'd spend the difference on glass and money is making bigger difference.

Old 03-01-2012   #27
Archiver

For the past two years I've been shooting with a black-taped M9. From a moderate distance it is indistinguishable from a M9-P. I have an Acmaxx hard plastic screen protector on the back which takes care of the LCD.

I paid AUD$9300 for my M9 back in 2010. Thanks to a more favourable exchange rate and greater supply, they now go for about $7000-$7200. I sometimes think of how nice it would be to have that extra $2300 in my bank account, or invested in some good condition secondhand lenses.

Old 03-02-2012   #28
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencivilian View Post
^can that be done at any point? The update to m9-p cover and screen?
Yes it can. Leica still does the M8 updates as well.

jaapvphotography

Old 03-02-2012   #29
SDK
Exposing since 1969.

Does the M9 standard model have a glass screen protector or a plastic one?

Old 03-02-2012   #30
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

All of the screen protectors are glass. The M9 has regular glass, the M9-P or full M9-P upgrade has the sapphire coated glass which is much more scratch resistant but still not impervious. I think an awesome solution is to get the standard then get a Giottos or GGS glass protector. They stick on and protrude only one millimeter from the screen itself so there is effectively no bulk added when shooting.

Phil Forrest

Old 03-03-2012   #31
Richard G

I told my experts I wouldn't be looking at anything but a chrome M9-P. This morning before I set out to collect my latest negs and scans I wondered what I'd do after so much homework if they said, thanks to someone pulling out of an order: "There's the chrome M9-P you've been wanting..." Reader, I bought it.

Old 04-02-2012   #32
eric23

I think I am going to hold off untill the M10 comes out, What you think? Is the wait worth it?

I ordered up my lens now Leica 35mm 1.4

Old 04-02-2012   #33
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

And what features of the hypothetical M10 will make it worth holding off for? Don't forget the M11 will wipe the floor with the M10, so you have at least another four to five year wait ahead of you - Otoh - the M12 will be even more spectacular and play havoc with used M11 prices......

jaapvphotography

Old 04-02-2012   #34
eric23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
And what features of the hypothetical M10 will make it worth holding off for? Don't forget the M11 will wipe the floor with the M10, so you have at least another four to five year wait ahead of you - Otoh - the M12 will be even more spectacular and play havoc with used M11 prices......
True, But it might be worth it to me to wait a few months for a newer model, I plan I keeping this camera for a long time.

Old 04-02-2012   #35
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric23 View Post
I think I am going to hold off untill the M10 comes out, What you think? Is the wait worth it?
Yes, it may be worth waiting until at least May for the announcement. Holding out until 2013? Maybe not.

Old 04-02-2012   #36
eric23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Yes, it may be worth waiting until at least May for the announcement. Holding out until 2013? Maybe not.
2013 will not work.

Old 04-02-2012   #37
jsrockit

It's a no brainer to wait until May for its announcement. Only a little over a month away.

Old 04-02-2012   #38
thegman

The rumour mill says there is an M10 in the works this year. Unless something odd happens, M9 price will go down. If you can wait, I'd do so.

Old 04-02-2012   #39
eric23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
It's a no brainer to wait until May for its announcement. Only a little over a month away.
It is going to be a long month

Old 04-02-2012   #40
kkibrisli

I read across several forums that there is a shortage of M9 sensor which is delaying the repair of some M9s with damaged sensors. I think this indicates that we will see the M10 sooner than later.

Old 04-02-2012   #41
Archiver

Even if Leica announce a M10 this year, when is it likely to be available to the public? And how much will you have to pay to get one??? As I mentioned, as I bought my M9 in the second batch that came to Australia, I had to pay a heck of a lot of money for it. Yes, I have been rewarded with many wonderful images and a fantastic shooting experience, but you can have this NOW with a M9, rather than wait some interminable period for a M10 that no one can tell you about.

Old 04-02-2012   #42
Richard G

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric23 View Post
I am thking of getting a Leica Summarit 50mm F2.5 to start off with. Should I do that or spend the extra cash and get the F2.0 or F1.4?
This is where an f 2.5 or 2.8 lens would be fine given the higher ISO capability of a digital M. You can shoot colour at 800 with confidence and black and white at even higher ISOs with an M9. There's a stop at least you don't need to pay for in a lens. If I was starting I would favour the 50 Summarit you're considering because of its size. When I last looked in detail at this I think it was 11mm shorter than my Summicron. It would be great on the M9. I'm finding I am using my Summicron more than ever, having not yet got over my love of the Zeiss C Sonnar. Compactness in a Leica camera lens combination is crucial. I carry a camera every day and my Fuji is currently out of action so an M Leica is it.

Old 04-02-2012   #43
Richard G

I bought the chrome M9-P for three reasons:
1. It was in the shop with a black one but no straight M9s.
2. It was chrome which I favour and looked as good as my M2. The grey is not something I considered.
3. Black has some attractions but the dirty finish of a well worn black chrome and the brassed finish of a black paint camera don't appeal to me.

The money I saved on accepting a 2L diesel was all I needed with the option of 3L diesel in my last car purchase, was more than the difference in the price of an M9 and M9-P and more than the cost of the M9-P altogether.

Old 04-03-2012   #44
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
If I was starting I would favour the 50 Summarit you're considering because of its size. When I last looked in detail at this I think it was 11mm shorter than my Summicron. It would be great on the M9. I'm finding I am using my Summicron more than ever, having not yet got over my love of the Zeiss C Sonnar. Compactness in a Leica camera lens combination is crucial. I carry a camera every day and my Fuji is currently out of action so an M Leica is it.
The 50mm Summarit is one of my favorite lenses if not my favorite. It works great on the M9. Don't let the "budget" part of these lenses fool you... they are great.

Old 04-03-2012   #45
Richard G

Another thing about the M9-P is that it slips under the radar. It really does look like an M2. 'Pity we can't have a look' was what a guy said to me as he reached the kerb carrying a bookshelf with a mate whom I'd just shot in the middle of the road. The only comments I get on the camera itself are from girls interested in film.

Old 04-03-2012   #46
Shade

At this point I would prefer an M9. The price difference is not worthed imho.

Old 04-03-2012   #47
eric23

Thanks for all the feedback, I ordered a nice lens now I just need to pick a camera and I should be good.

Old 04-04-2012   #48
simonxpan

Get the m9-p, chrome you won't regret it.
XpanII
30mm, 45mm 90mm

Old 04-04-2012   #49
Steve Bellayr

I have pondered this question. I considered how I would carry the M9--. Personally, I prefer to carry my camera in a case. If I were to carry my camera in a case the screen would be covered and protected. Would I need a screen protector? Would I need sapphire glass? An expensive leather case to protect the screen is $270 plus shipping. That to me solves the screen problem. Let us now look at he discreet problem. The Leica M9-- is small and quiet. How much more discreet is the M9P v. M9? Most pro-Am cameras today with their zoom lenses are larger than any M9 and much more intrusive. My conclusion is the M9 with a black case that protects the screen is the most effective way to go.