Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Coffee With Mentors > Canon Rangefinders - Peter Dechert and Peter Kitchingman

Canon Rangefinders - Peter Dechert and Peter Kitchingman Peter Dechert is best known for his Canon Rangefinder, Canon SLR, and Olympus Pen books, the latter two long out-of-print. He was a monthly columnist for many years for SHUTTERBUG magazine, and has contributed to many others. Most recently he has written about the pre-WW2 Zeiss 35mm cameras, but his interests in camera equipment and optics are many and varied. As a pro protographer and honorary life member of ASMP, Peter is also expert in using the gear! Peter Kitchingman - author of Canon Rangefinder Lens book Peter Kitchingman's 'Canon M39 Rangefinder Lenses 1939-71' book is the definitive source on these very interesting optics. His interests also go to the entire Canon Rangefinder system and beyond.

Old 02-28-2012   #76
raid
Dad Photographer

I am now at three Canon P cameras plus the IVsb2. The P cannot be beaten for functionality.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 04-04-2012   #77
N. Bruce Nelson
Canon L1 user

Raid, have you had a chance to compare the P with an L1?

N. Bruce Nelson
http://brucescommentaria.blogspot.com/

Old 05-23-2013   #78
bosjohn

My favorite was the vt and vt delux I had one of each and I liked them better than the P becasue the P I had the view finder was darkish. I also really liked the trigger winder on the vt

Old 05-23-2013   #79
bosjohn

I also had an L briefly which if I understand it correctly was intended for JDM only. just like a p though. and 7. the seven was my least favorite it always made me wonder why I wasnt using an m3

Old 05-24-2013   #80
bosjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingley View Post
I've been enjoying shooting a IVSB2 recently. It's the same size and quality feel as a Barnack w/ a nicer vf (IMO).
Hi neighbor I have owned a couple two three P and a7 and a vt and a vt delux my favorite was the vt with the trigger wind.
you ever get down to rio vista you might see me out shooting

Old 06-03-2013   #81
job

Personally likes the L1 the most because of it small size and view. Small than the P and 7s but warm with good patch contrast. All the manual discs and wind are so classic and beautiful.
Waiting for my IIIA for it's classic vintage beauty and small size. However a bit worry about it's small view compared to the later and may be better IVsb2

Old 06-03-2013   #82
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by job View Post
Personally likes the L1 the most because of it small size and view. Small than the P and 7s but warm with good patch contrast. All the manual discs and wind are so classic and beautiful.
Waiting for my IIIA for it's classic vintage beauty and small size. However a bit worry about it's small view compared to the later and may be better IVsb2
I like the L1 best too. I think it has more character and who can resist that front mounted slow speed dial? The only problem with mine is that the slow speeds are now really slooooow. Apart from that it works beautifully.

Old 06-03-2013   #83
job

Hi Lawrence,
You are right. The front slow speed dial is really eye-catching and attractive.
That makes the outer appearance of the V series better than the VI and 7 series ( at least personally ).

Old 06-03-2013   #84
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Bruce Nelson View Post
Raid, have you had a chance to compare the P with an L1?
I have never used an L1. Is it a nice Canon RF camera?

Old 10-25-2013   #85
Paul Mysterioso

I have the IVSB and I like it very much ... except for the squinty viewfinder which is a disaster.

The P and 7s sound very intriguing!

Old 10-25-2013   #86
Ronny

P for Perfect and Populaire.

1959 Canon P Chrome
1958 Leica M3 Chrome
1964 Leica M2 Chrome
1963 Nikon F Black 64x
1972 Nikon F Black

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronnypersson/

Old 10-28-2013   #87
Dez
Bodger Extraordinaire

I have three old Canons, and I keep changing my mind. The IVSB-2 is undoubtedly the best made. The P is the most enjoyable to use, I think. And the 7S with its marvelous multi-frame VF and good meter is certainly the most featured. If I were going to sell one, I would be very hard put to select the one to go.

Cheers,
Dez

Old 10-28-2013   #88
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mysterioso View Post
I have the IVSB and I like it very much ... except for the squinty viewfinder which is a disaster.

The P and 7s sound very intriguing!
I also have the IVsb. I traded off my IIIc but kept the IVsb when I was given the option to keep one.

Old 10-28-2013   #89
raid
Dad Photographer

I miss my VI_L more than any other Canon RF camera. It was a superb camera.

Old 11-06-2013   #90
goamules

Definitely the P is the easiest to use and take good pictures with of the ones I've had, Barnacks, a 7s and a VT. I'd like to try an L too.

My Flickr Photos

Old 11-06-2013   #91
Ken.Cartouche

Well, I only just got my P a short time ago and, apart from some rangefinder issues I've addressed in another thread, I really like it. It handles very nicely, has a good weight, and operates smoothly and easily without being too "fiddly."

That being said, I'm really drawn to the Canon II, III, and IV cameras. I used to have a Leica IIIa, and while it was a bit "fiddly" to use (especially loading), I still enjoyed shooting it. If I got one (and the more I think about it, the more sure I am that I will), I would look for something like a IIIA, or some other model that doesn't have the flash bracket on the side. One thing I love about those Canon models is their appearance, and I feel that the mount on the side spoils the look somewhat. Besides, I wouldn't be interested in using one of those for flash photography anyway.

Old 11-06-2013   #92
thirtyfivefifty
Noctilust survivor

Rather use a P.

Old 11-08-2013   #93
Tarocco

I just bought a Canon P and 50 1.8 and so far I love it. I was a bit worried about the round, soft edged rangefinder patch in comparison to Leica M's I've handled before, but it's not an issue at all for me. Film loading is also really nice compared to the Leica's. Now I'm tempted to find a nice 7 or VT to try as well.

Old 01-11-2014   #94
John E Earley
Tuol Sleng S21-0174

I liked my Canon P well enough that I bought a second one. I mount a 50/1.4 on one and a 35/1.8 on the other.

Old 01-12-2014   #95
mike rosenlof
Insufficient information

I have a few Canon RFs, IIS2, L1, P, 7sz

I am quite fond of the IIS2, I think it's that model, 1/500 top speed, both X and FP sync, shutter with modern speed progression. I use it with the VF mag at the highest and a modern accessory viewfinder in the shoe. Focus with the magnified image, frame with the Aux. Using it that way, I might really like a Leica IIIg, but this is what I have. I love the solid feel of the bottom loader. Loading is a pain, but not too awful.

I could use the L1 the same way, and it would be fine. The copy I have is kind of beat up, but everything works just fine. Loading is easier, but the hinged back feels less solid than a bottom loader.

The P is very usable. Like many here, I don't think the 35mm frame is all that usable. Nothing wrong with it just less quirky than the older models. I've had some light leaks, but they're really easy to fix with some velcro loops in the two tiny spots near the back hinge.

7sZ, very likable. I think the meter works, but haven't tested it recently. My copy has a vertical alignment issue in the RF, otherwise it's very nice, and my copy is in very good condition.

I really don't think you can go wrong with any model from the IVSB2/IIF2/IID2/IIS2 on.

Old 01-12-2014   #96
Bingley

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
I like the L1 best too. I think it has more character and who can resist that front mounted slow speed dial? The only problem with mine is that the slow speeds are now really slooooow. Apart from that it works beautifully.

+1. The L1 shares the same sleek design of the P, but has switchable vf magnification instead of framelines. I find this makes the camera good for a 35 lens; I had trouble framing with the 35 framelines in the P's vf. The high mag setting on the L1 is also useful for fine focusing. I bought my L1 from a member here for a great price, especially considering it's in mint condition.

M2, M4-2, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
XD-11, X700, and assorted MD Rokkor lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 01-12-2014   #97
Bingley

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I have never used an L1. Is it a nice Canon RF camera?

Yes. Yes. And Yes.

XD-11, X700, and assorted MD Rokkor lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 01-12-2014   #98
Bingley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosjohn View Post
Hi neighbor I have owned a couple two three P and a7 and a vt and a vt delux my favorite was the vt with the trigger wind.
you ever get down to rio vista you might see me out shooting
Ha! I just saw your posts in this thread. I do get down your way from time to time, as I've got a photo project going on the Delta. I've tended to shoot around Isleton and Walnut Grove.

My Flickr
My Gallery

Canon P Luv. .. ...
Old 01-13-2014   #99
Red Robin
It Is What It Is

Canon P Luv. .. ...

Can you feel it ? I myself own and use three. My only want would be a black one and an olive colored one. Pretty sure the color changes would not have an impact on my image quality, but don't they look good ? Cameras are a lot like people. .. ... doesn't matter what color they are when it comes to taking good pictures. Ka-pow!

Old 04-08-2014   #100
Hibbs
R.I.P. Charlie

I have a Canon P and use these lenses:

Voigtländer Color Skopar 35mm f/2.5
Canon 50mm f/1.5
Nikkor 105mm f/2.5

Put me in the 'Want to try an L1" group.

~ hibbs