Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Clubs, Critique, RFF Projects, Salon > Photogs / Photo Exhibits

Photogs / Photo Exhibits This is the place to discuss a particular Photographer (work, style, life, whatever), as well as to post Gallery and Museum Photo Exhibitions and your own impressions of them. As we march on in this new digital world, it is often too easy to forget about the visual importance of the photographic print, as well as their financial importance to the photographer. It is also interesting to remember that some guy named Gene Smith shot with lenses that many lens test reading "never had a picture published in their life" amateurs would turn up their their noses at, as being "unacceptable."

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Thoughts about Eric Kim
Old 02-27-2012   #1
Lauffray
Invisible Cities

Thoughts about Eric Kim

Not sure this is in the right category, but here are my thoughts about Eric. I have to admit when I first heard of this Internet sensation I was strongly skeptical about what he had to offer, but I have been following him for a while and I've changed my mind about a few things.

One thing I dislike is the Bruce Gilden cult following, I'm personally not a big fan of Eric's photographs from last year but that's entirely personal. The other thing most people I think will relate to is, how exactly is he qualified to do what he does ? I've heard he's a great instructor but we are the same age and have roughly the same experience shooting (4-5 years) so I can't help but wonder if the whole thing isn't a house of cards of some sorts, social media does give a lot of unfounded hype after all. But then again, what if he isn't, so what? Frankly I have no problem admitting I'm envious of the break he got, travelling the world taking pictures, who wouldn't jump on that ?
The last thing is this whole photography workshop phenomenon, everybody seems to be giving photography workshops, and not very reasonable offers. We're talking 400-700$ 3 day courses in Peru, Singapore, Tokyo. Maybe some can afford this but to me this is way past a luxury spending.

What I have come to appreciate about him though is that he seems like a good person. I read what he writes, I watch his videos, he answers his emails and tweets. He talks about his upbringing, how he was raised, his philosophy in life etc. The last thing I could say is that he's some sort of privileged spoiled kid, that he doesn't know what he's talking about, or that he's some fake poser with the wrong attitude. When he talks about photography he knows his stuff reasonably well and his interest for the subject is very contagious

Anyway, I'm not judging or criticizing, I'm just trying to understand this guy. What do you guys think ?

Website - Flickr