Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras - > Micro 4/3 Cameras

Micro 4/3 Cameras This forum is for all Micro 4/3 cameras of any camera make.

View Poll Results: Are you going OM-D?
O yeah, here's my pre-order confirmation! 36 10.43%
You bet! just have to de-GAS a few gears to fund it 23 6.67%
Positively, but only when it hits street price level 65 18.84%
I don't know, I like it, but won't my APS-C buddies shun me? 50 14.49%
Heck no! I won't be caught dead with a dinky m4/3rd camera 110 31.88%
OMD? Are they coming out with a new album? 61 17.68%
Voters: 345. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2012   #226
rbelyell

ethan i was in exactly your position with my 5dmki. i loved it and zeiss lenses. but the kit was huge and i kept turning more and more to my ep2 (which is fully manual and has an excellent evf). 5d size not only turned me off, but possible subjects as well, especially in street settings. in good light with good lenses m4/3 is fully capable, before this new sensor, of taking great quality pix. my ep2 and summicron-c 40/2 produces what i would term stunning images. problem has always been high iso--you cant shoot the old olly sensor even at 800, its just not good enough. that to me is where the rubber will hit the road with the om-d-high iso/low light.

i solved this configuration problem by trading my 5d for an x100, which is truly awesome in low light, and is also a great street machine. i can also happily use my ep2plus evf as a great street machine as well. of course youd need to pair it with a extra WA lens to get the 35-50 you want for street work, but there are good options there especially if you have a nice 28 rf lens...

Old 02-24-2012   #227
rover

I keep telling myself I don't need anything more than the Oly, it isn't like I am a pro. I have my thoughts on the PL 25/1.4 too. It would be a no brainier if there was a 17/1.4 PL available too.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 02-24-2012   #228
shadowfox
Personal Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanFrank View Post
The thought that keeps rattling inside my head is that the best camera is the one that you have with you...if the OM-D has 80% of the image quality of the 5DII, and yet I can carry it with my everywhere so won't miss a shot...

Grr. I JUST bought the 5DII, my head full of full frame snobbery.
Ethan,
What does that mean, 80% image quality?
It's always case by case, sometimes the Canon will be better, sometimes the Olympus will be better, most of the time we can't tell.

There isn't a single big broad brush to paint with.

Old 02-24-2012   #229
EthanFrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
Ethan,
What does that mean, 80% image quality?
It's always case by case, sometimes the Canon will be better, sometimes the Olympus will be better, most of the time we can't tell.

There isn't a single big broad brush to paint with.
Oh, I agree, I just threw out a random number in order to make my point. While IQ is not an absolute, things like high ISO noise, clarity, etc are all factors. My point was that if the Olympus is fairly close if not as good as the Canon in those areas, it certainly would be worth considering. I'm just waiting for some reviews that don't have a big "Based on a pre-production unit!" note beside them.

I worry that Canon will announce the 5D Mark III while I wait for the OM-d and the value of my 5D Mark II will plummet.

-ethan

500px

Old 02-24-2012   #230
rover

5dMkIII next week, too late to worry about the trade in value.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 02-24-2012   #231
nighstar
eternal beginner

yep, Feb. 28th will be the 5D X/Mark III announcement. i'm excited.

i'm trying to save up my money to preorder the new 5D, but god do i want the E-M5 too.... but really, if the E-M5 is anything like my E-P2 minus the poor high ISO performance, i can't see the E-M5 being a complete replacement for a FF DSLR. at least not for me. they are both two very different cameras that may overlap a lot in some areas, but probably not at all in others. really i want both. too bad i'm not rich.... i'll be living off of ramen & other cheap stuff for months just to survive after the 5D purchase. i'm going for the 5D X/Mark III because i already have the option of portability available to me from my E-P2 (and GRD4). if i need ISO beyond 400, which i often do, i will be able to get it from the 5DX.

if i were you, Ethan, i would keep the 5D Mark II as it is an amazing camera and would get an E-M5 later once prices have fallen and you can afford it. they would be an awesome pair-- E-M5 strong in the AF area, 5D strong on depth of field. if you ever go beyond street and landscape, i'm sure you'll find ample opportunities to use both as (in my opinion) that's where the 5D would shine the most.

just my opinion, though.... i so want the E-M5 with the two grips.... but may hold out for the E-M6, which i'm sure will be just as awesome.

Old 02-24-2012   #232
uinku

The main draw of the OM-D/E-M5 for isn't so much how great the image quality might be be, but it frees you up to not worry about your gear So far, no one has brought forth a small and fast lightweight weatherproof digital system. For photojournalists, this a dream. And that's why we can call it a successor to the OM series.

Yeah, it's not full-frame, and some former OM users are ***-pooing about that. While others people degrade it to a styled up E-PL2. These people are missing the point. I want a camera I don't have to worry about in the rain, and I'd like it to be small. Olympus has fulfilled this niche. I tried using the Pentax K-7 for a while, but it was a pain to lug around all day, and with the DA* 17-50, it became just as obtrusive as any other DSLR.

If you're looking for image quality, you can't beat full-frame. However, if you want something that won't weigh you down, I think the OM-D might be it.

Old 02-24-2012   #233
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

The OM-D is starting to look very attractive to me as a replacement to my only other digital aside from my D700 ... my aging, slowly dying Canon A620 point and shoot.

This ^ on top of having serious thoughts about getting a used M9, is doing my head in!

I should have stayed away! LOL

flickr ... currently all images from the DP2M and DP3M

Old 02-25-2012   #234
ajuk

OM-D? OM-D? Are they cracking me up? Are they stoned? How is it an OM-D when it doesn't have an OM mount and it's not even an SLR?

Old 02-25-2012   #235
nighstar
eternal beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajuk View Post
OM-D? OM-D? Are they cracking me up? Are they stoned? How is it an OM-D when it doesn't have an OM mount and it's not even an SLR?
....welcome to the thread.

if you really want an answer to your question, which you probably don't, feel free to sift through this thread. this has already been discussed a million times.

Old 02-25-2012   #236
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Uinku: Well put. I think this camera may be, for many, one wherein the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. I'll bet Alex Majoli and some other high profile photojournalists give this a serious evaluation.

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 02-25-2012   #237
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Ajuk: Have a good time tilting at windmills!

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 02-25-2012   #238
ajuk

No, but seriously it's nothing more than an E-System camera made to look something like an OM camera as a cash in, I'm surprised it's not an SLR though.
I take it it comes with an OM lens adapter?

Old 02-25-2012   #239
EthanFrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajuk
No, but seriously it's nothing more than an E-System camera made to look something like an OM camera as a cash in, I'm surprised it's not an SLR though.
I take it it comes with an OM lens adapter?
But it's not E-system, it's m4/3 (versus 4/3). No adapter is included.

-ethan

500px

Old 02-25-2012   #240
bellyface
Registered Nice Guy

It's not an slr, technically. But m4/3 has the advantage of multiple lens compatibility (adapters not included) ... Even c-mount ccd cam lenses with unique effects. Only issue with using 35mm lenses, including older zuiko-m lenses is you double your focal lengths. The m4/3 is basically a half frame 35mm. So others have questions about the usability.

On the same note, I respect Olympus for trying to fill the gap where clunky aps-c sensor cams haven't been able to.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Photographers deal in things which are continually
vanishing and when they have vanished there is no
contrivance on earth which can make them come
back again."
-Henri Cartier Bresson

Old 02-25-2012   #241
ajuk

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanFrank View Post
No adapter is included.
Have they ever heard of the Trade Descriptions Act?

Old 02-25-2012   #242
mabelsound
actually a dude

It's their trademark, they can do whatever they want with it.

Why on earth do you care, when you couldn't even be arsed to find out what kind of camera it was? For those of us who like the m4/3ds system, this looks like a fantastic camera, entirely in line with Oly's original intent for the OM SLR system: high-quality, compact, good optics, for the advanced amateur or professional who likes a sturdy, lightweight kit. There are plenty of OM adapters available for m4/3 if you want them, but that isn't the point of this camera.

Old 02-25-2012   #243
uinku

It's officially called the E-M5. So yes, one can view it as micro 4/3 E-System camera. Does that help those any more people who feel the need to post how it doesn't measure up to the original OM system? 'Cause we haven't heard it enough, y'know...

Old 02-26-2012   #244
ajuk

Mabelsound I didn't actually think they were violating the Trade Descriptions Act because as you said it's their trade mark, I was just being facetious. But I wasn't being obtuse when I asumed it would come with an adapter. Canon wouldn't come out with an EOS camera that didn't take EOS lenses.

My original comment was meant to be taken with a pinch of salt also.

Old 02-26-2012   #245
ankaka
-

How much do you think will be the market price on this and when itís gonna be available in Adelaide?

Old 02-26-2012   #246
nighstar
eternal beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankaka View Post
How much do you think will be the market price on this and when itís gonna be available in Adelaide?
retail price is $1,499 (incl. GST) in Australia and Camera Pro (based in Brisbane but ships nationally) already has it available for preorder.

don't know the exact date it will be available in Australia.

Old 02-26-2012   #247
nighstar
eternal beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajuk View Post
But I wasn't being obtuse when I asumed it would come with an adapter. Canon wouldn't come out with an EOS camera that didn't take EOS lenses.
it's an OM-D, not an OM. it has never been marketed as an OM, so why would it support OM lenses natively? same goes for including an adapter. it's not like the majority of people even own OM lenses to make use of an included adapter anyway.

Old 02-27-2012   #248
shadowfox
Personal Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by uinku View Post
It's officially called the E-M5. So yes, one can view it as micro 4/3 E-System camera. Does that help those any more people who feel the need to post how it doesn't measure up to the original OM system? 'Cause we haven't heard it enough, y'know...
Seriously.
The Original OM series will always be the classic that we love.
The OM-D is the successor.

Technically speaking, it's as competent and even more versatile than its predecessor.

Whether or not it'll be as successful sales-wise, nobody knows at this point. But I have a feeling that it will do just fine on its own.

One of my friend is ready to switch to OM-D from Canon.

Old 02-27-2012   #249
ajuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighstar View Post
it's an OM-D, not an OM.
If I had to guess what a Digital OM mount camera would be called OM-D would probably be my first guess followed by OM-D1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighstar View Post
it has never been marketed as an OM
Apart from it the name, and the OM like manual.

Quote:
Seriously.
The Original OM series will always be the classic that we love.
The OM-D is the successor.
Really because to me it looks to be a M4/3 camera that looks vaguely like an OM camera. And there the connections stop

Quote:
Technically speaking, it's as competent and even more versatile than its predecessor.
Who's saying it's not.

Old 02-27-2012   #250
plummerl

I'm clearly not understanding your entire train of comments.

I've been an OM devotee since 1974 (apparently before you were born) and have pre-ordered the E-M5. I have been using the E-510 with all my original OM glass, with the benefit of in-body IS with OM glass settings (to great effect, I might add), as well as some great Oly 43 glass. With the E-M5, the digital side is returning to a size that matches the OM series (actually smaller!). Using m43 lenses, I will gain AF, yet I can still use my OM glass, again with in-body IS. I can also use my 43 lenses.

Oh, and I still shoot with my OM-1(3), OM-2n(2), OM-2SP(2) and OM-4T(2).