Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > Micro 4/3 Cameras Olympus Panasonic

Micro 4/3 Cameras Olympus Panasonic This forum is for all Micro 4/3 cameras of any camera make.

View Poll Results: Are you going OM-D?
O yeah, here's my pre-order confirmation! 36 10.43%
You bet! just have to de-GAS a few gears to fund it 23 6.67%
Positively, but only when it hits street price level 65 18.84%
I don't know, I like it, but won't my APS-C buddies shun me? 50 14.49%
Heck no! I won't be caught dead with a dinky m4/3rd camera 110 31.88%
OMD? Are they coming out with a new album? 61 17.68%
Voters: 345. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2012   #201
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighstar View Post
....sadly, i find a lot of cameras these days have better high ISO performance than an E-P2. i won't even use my E-P2 above ISO400 unless i'm doing black & white, but that's just me.... i've been spoiled by my new GRD4's awesome low light/high ISO performance.

that said, i am amazed by the E-M5's ISO performance.
I also shoot Tri-X in 35mm, so I'm fine with grain

E-P2 at iso 3200

You talking about the OM-D / EM5
Old 02-21-2012   #202
kuzano

You talking about the OM-D / EM5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trius View Post
My hands are practically molded to an OM or 35SP, so it looks too small!
The New OLY OM-D is 1 Cm shy of the width of the OM film bodies, and almost the same dimension on height and thickness. Weight wise, again almost the same. It does look smaller in the pictures, but read the actual specifications. The 35SP falls between the two.

Looks to me like it's going to be nearly a perfect alternative for all my OM's.

Old 02-22-2012   #203
Focal Plane Circus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzano View Post
The New OLY OM-D is 1 Cm shy of the width of the OM film bodies, and almost the same dimension on height and thickness. Weight wise, again almost the same. It does look smaller in the pictures, but read the actual specifications. The 35SP falls between the two.

They are close to the same size. That's one reason I'm going the opposite direction from you. I can't have my E-M5 for a while, so in the meantime I've assembled a small collection of OM bodies and lenses, a couple of which are still in the mail to me.

My best OM, and the last one I'll buy for a while, is a pro serviced black OM-2S that the mailman brought today. It's unpacked and I've shot it dry (all is well in 2S land) ,but I haven't had time to remove its damn split rings yet before they chew the hell out of the strap lugs and everything near them.

Old 02-22-2012   #204
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzano View Post

I read the specs and that made me think yeah, this is going to be fine. Then there are the pics, so yes, the pictures are deceiving. I'll have to lay my hands on one ASAP. GeneW has one on order, so maybe I'll beg him to let me camp out while he' unboxes the delivery, etc., etc.

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55 and adapted Zuikos
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 02-22-2012   #205
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I'm too lazy to troll back through this thread ... and short on time!

I'm starting to get a little interested in this camera ... particularly after the description of it being very close to my beloved OM-1 size wise.

Prices??????

Old 02-22-2012   #206
EthanFrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I'm too lazy to troll back through this thread ... and short on time!

I'm starting to get a little interested in this camera ... particularly after the description of it being very close to my beloved OM-1 size wise.

Prices??????
$999/$1299 with the kit lens, if memory serves.

-ethan

500px

Old 02-22-2012   #207
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanFrank View Post
$999/$1299 with the kit lens, if memory serves.

Thanks Ethan .... more interested now!

Old 02-22-2012   #208
Gerry M
Gerry

I hope I'm not splitting hairs here and I'm also very interested in the OMD. The specs I read (DPreview) showed the OMD at 122mm length or 4.8". My three OM bodies measure 136mm or 5.38" in length. While that doesn't seem to be a lot of difference, I also have a Lumix G1, which measures 124mm in length. I am trying not to compare apples and oranges, but there is a significant difference in size between my OM's and the G1. The G1 being a tiny bit larger than the OMD and it's (G1) about as compact as can be, to still have reasonable access to the controls. My concern is the OMD being too small. I hope my concerns turn out to be unfounded.

Old 02-22-2012   #209
gavinlg

I'm going to get my dad one with the 12-50mm lens.

Old 02-22-2012   #210
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinlg View Post
I'm going to get my dad one with the 12-50mm lens.

Damn ... why didn't I have a son like you Gavin?

Old 02-23-2012   #211
hub
Crazy French

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trius View Post
I read the specs and that made me think yeah, this is going to be fine. Then there are the pics, so yes, the pictures are deceiving. I'll have to lay my hands on one ASAP. GeneW has one on order, so maybe I'll beg him to let me camp out while he' unboxes the delivery, etc., etc.
Not before April the Olympus reps told us Sunday. (for Canuckistan)

Old 02-23-2012   #212
rizraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
There is a lot of things to like with the new OM-D.

Is it good enough for you?
Is it enough to sway you from your previous bias towards the smaller sensor? (smaller, not tiny)
Is it just another pretty body without substance?
Is it the answer to your dream?

Vote and chime up.
1. Don't care
2. No?
3. Again, another don't care
4. Can I put in a roll of film? if the answer is No..... then it is a No

Old 02-24-2012   #213
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizraz View Post
1. Don't care
2. No?

Like we needed to know this?

Yet another case of a dedicated film shooter jumping into a thread discussing a digital camera just to trash the digital medium for the hell of it!

It's tiresome!

Old 02-24-2012   #214
j j

I am not interested in buying this particular camera (I know... who cares... ), but I hope it is a great success because it might fuel the trend of cameras (such as this and Fuji) that are designed to be nice to use rather than win the marketing facts and figures game. The technology is mature. It is time the cameras caught up.

Old 02-24-2012   #215
Johnmcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Like we needed to know this?

Yet another case of a dedicated film shooter jumping into a thread discussing a digital camera just to trash the digital medium for the hell of it!

It's tiresome!
BTW, nice to see you back Keith

Cheers - John

Zeiss Ikon ZM, Leica R8 50, 60
Leica M3, M4
21, 35, 50, Ind 61, Jup 9
OM2/1 plus 24, 28, 50, 50, 100, 70-150, 300
www.johnmcd.zenfolio.com/

Old 02-24-2012   #216
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmcd View Post
BTW, nice to see you back Keith

Cheers - John

Thanks John.

And it's good to see some things never change!

Old 02-24-2012   #217
nighstar
eternal beginner

i dont know if this has already been posted somewhere, but i really like this set of photos taken with the E-M5 by Sparrow Ulm on flickr:

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjyLbuVX

the Dramatic Tone black and white photos....

Old 02-24-2012   #218
jsrockit

Quote:
1. Don't care
2. No?

Old 02-24-2012   #219
scarletfawth

I'm really interested in this camera.

I'm after a robust, decent image quality weather proof digital. I sold my X100 recently as it was a bit too delicate for the outdoor activity snaps I take. I've pre ordered an X Pro 1, but I'm tempted to ditch it and wait for the Oly. I'd prefer a semi wide and 50mm prime to the Oly zooms I've seen. Here's hoping.

Old 02-24-2012   #220
EthanFrank

I'm really having difficulty with this. I'd appreciate some input, to be honest.

I purchased a 5D Mark II recently. I quite like it, and the results are very good. Not as staggeringly different than my old 50D as the Canon forums would have you believe, but very good. However, it's heavy and expensive (still paying it off) and the glass is equally heavy and expensive. I find myself slightly reluctant to carry it around like I would my M6 or my OM-1. If I'm heading out with intent on shooting, then great, I'll grab the bag with my Canon gear, but I like to carry a camera around with me at all times - this just isn't practical with the 5D Mark II.

The OM-D is enticing. I used to discount m4/3 as a viable system, as I really like using focal lengths I'm used to from shooting 35mm. However, the difference in between APS-C and Full Frame is not as dramatic as I was hoping...perhaps, by that logic, I haven't given m4/3 enough of a chance?

I haven't bought a m4/3 camera to date because I like manual controls, which the Pens and GF's have been lacking, along with a decent viewfinder. The NEX7 was an option for me at one point, but the lack of glass options sealed its fate and I cancelled my preorder.

The OM-D E-M5 has tons of manual control, an awesome looking viewfinder, and the ability to accommodate all my film lenses, albeit with a pretty crippling crop factor. The OM-D has the ability to mount so many 4/3 and m4/3 lenses, which are just so affordable compared to full frame equivalents. I imagine it's much easier to engineer fast primes for the smaller sensor, and who doesn't love fast primes?

I like shooting street, landscapes and the occasional snapshot with friends. I take photography quite seriously but I am by no means set in stone in terms of a style of shooting. Street and urban life takes first place, but I don't want to restrict myself to that.

With all that in mind, do you think the OM-D would be a better fit for me? It seems very versatile, given the affordability of it and its lenses, the size, the weight, and the ability to adapt my lenses? Will the decrease in image quality, however slight or dramatic, be a problem for me?

I'm toying with the idea of selling my 5D Mark II, and my 24-70mm along with my 580EXII, and picking up the OM-D zoom kit, maybe with the grip, the 25mm 1.4 and the 45mm 1.8...

Looking forward to hearing what you guys think.

-ethan

500px

Old 02-24-2012   #221
rover

I am with you, sort of, Ethan. I just sold a boat load of stuff and am thinking OM-D? X-Pro? D800? I don't know which. Like you the size of a FF DSLR is just too much for me. But 36 magnificent mp from Nikon who just won't get the D800 wrong..... Or the great image quality Fuji is throwing out there. The X-Pro just doesn't have stabilization (my mindless excuse for now). The Oly is small, I really liked the images I got from my EP-1, just couldn't stand the camera, has everything I think, but a top line Nikon, or Fuji.

I don't think I am helping you as much as saying that you are not alone.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 02-24-2012   #222
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
The OM-D E-M5 has tons of manual control, an awesome looking viewfinder, and the ability to accommodate all my film lenses, albeit with a pretty crippling crop factor. The OM-D has the ability to mount so many 4/3 and m4/3 lenses, which are just so affordable compared to full frame equivalents. I imagine it's much easier to engineer fast primes for the smaller sensor, and who doesn't love fast primes?
Ethan, I think you've got your answer somewhere around the above quoted part from your own post.

Seriously, I have seen "big sensor" snobs change their tune when they actually tried my Pen E-P2.
I suspect E-M5 would be ten times more effective in that.

Old 02-24-2012   #223
celluloidprop

The current 5D3 rumor is quite nice, too - 22mp with pro AF.

Old 02-24-2012   #224
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
1. Don't care
2. No?
Really?
C'mon, tell us your real feeling, don't be shy

Old 02-24-2012   #225
EthanFrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover View Post
I am with you, sort of, Ethan. I just sold a boat load of stuff and am thinking OM-D? X-Pro? D800? I don't know which. Like you the size of a FF DSLR is just too much for me. But 36 magnificent mp from Nikon who just won't get the D800 wrong..... Or the great image quality Fuji is throwing out there. The X-Pro just doesn't have stabilization (my mindless excuse for now). The Oly is small, I really liked the images I got from my EP-1, just couldn't stand the camera, has everything I think, but a top line Nikon, or Fuji.

I don't think I am helping you as much as saying that you are not alone.
The thought that keeps rattling inside my head is that the best camera is the one that you have with you...if the OM-D has 80% of the image quality of the 5DII, and yet I can carry it with my everywhere so won't miss a shot...

Grr. I JUST bought the 5DII, my head full of full frame snobbery.

-ethan

500px

Old 02-24-2012   #226
rbelyell

ethan i was in exactly your position with my 5dmki. i loved it and zeiss lenses. but the kit was huge and i kept turning more and more to my ep2 (which is fully manual and has an excellent evf). 5d size not only turned me off, but possible subjects as well, especially in street settings. in good light with good lenses m4/3 is fully capable, before this new sensor, of taking great quality pix. my ep2 and summicron-c 40/2 produces what i would term stunning images. problem has always been high iso--you cant shoot the old olly sensor even at 800, its just not good enough. that to me is where the rubber will hit the road with the om-d-high iso/low light.

i solved this configuration problem by trading my 5d for an x100, which is truly awesome in low light, and is also a great street machine. i can also happily use my ep2plus evf as a great street machine as well. of course youd need to pair it with a extra WA lens to get the 35-50 you want for street work, but there are good options there especially if you have a nice 28 rf lens...

Old 02-24-2012   #227
rover

I keep telling myself I don't need anything more than the Oly, it isn't like I am a pro. I have my thoughts on the PL 25/1.4 too. It would be a no brainier if there was a 17/1.4 PL available too.

rover's world at flickr

Old 02-24-2012   #228
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
The thought that keeps rattling inside my head is that the best camera is the one that you have with you...if the OM-D has 80% of the image quality of the 5DII, and yet I can carry it with my everywhere so won't miss a shot...

Grr. I JUST bought the 5DII, my head full of full frame snobbery.
Ethan,
What does that mean, 80% image quality?
It's always case by case, sometimes the Canon will be better, sometimes the Olympus will be better, most of the time we can't tell.

There isn't a single big broad brush to paint with.

Old 02-24-2012   #229
EthanFrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
Ethan,
What does that mean, 80% image quality?
It's always case by case, sometimes the Canon will be better, sometimes the Olympus will be better, most of the time we can't tell.

There isn't a single big broad brush to paint with.
Oh, I agree, I just threw out a random number in order to make my point. While IQ is not an absolute, things like high ISO noise, clarity, etc are all factors. My point was that if the Olympus is fairly close if not as good as the Canon in those areas, it certainly would be worth considering. I'm just waiting for some reviews that don't have a big "Based on a pre-production unit!" note beside them.

I worry that Canon will announce the 5D Mark III while I wait for the OM-d and the value of my 5D Mark II will plummet.

-ethan

500px

Old 02-24-2012   #230
rover

5dMkIII next week, too late to worry about the trade in value.

rover's world at flickr

Old 02-24-2012   #231
nighstar
eternal beginner

yep, Feb. 28th will be the 5D X/Mark III announcement. i'm excited.

i'm trying to save up my money to preorder the new 5D, but god do i want the E-M5 too.... but really, if the E-M5 is anything like my E-P2 minus the poor high ISO performance, i can't see the E-M5 being a complete replacement for a FF DSLR. at least not for me. they are both two very different cameras that may overlap a lot in some areas, but probably not at all in others. really i want both. too bad i'm not rich.... i'll be living off of ramen & other cheap stuff for months just to survive after the 5D purchase. i'm going for the 5D X/Mark III because i already have the option of portability available to me from my E-P2 (and GRD4). if i need ISO beyond 400, which i often do, i will be able to get it from the 5DX.

if i were you, Ethan, i would keep the 5D Mark II as it is an amazing camera and would get an E-M5 later once prices have fallen and you can afford it. they would be an awesome pair-- E-M5 strong in the AF area, 5D strong on depth of field. if you ever go beyond street and landscape, i'm sure you'll find ample opportunities to use both as (in my opinion) that's where the 5D would shine the most.

just my opinion, though.... i so want the E-M5 with the two grips.... but may hold out for the E-M6, which i'm sure will be just as awesome.

Old 02-24-2012   #232
uinku

The main draw of the OM-D/E-M5 for isn't so much how great the image quality might be be, but it frees you up to not worry about your gear So far, no one has brought forth a small and fast lightweight weatherproof digital system. For photojournalists, this a dream. And that's why we can call it a successor to the OM series.

Yeah, it's not full-frame, and some former OM users are ***-pooing about that. While others people degrade it to a styled up E-PL2. These people are missing the point. I want a camera I don't have to worry about in the rain, and I'd like it to be small. Olympus has fulfilled this niche. I tried using the Pentax K-7 for a while, but it was a pain to lug around all day, and with the DA* 17-50, it became just as obtrusive as any other DSLR.

If you're looking for image quality, you can't beat full-frame. However, if you want something that won't weigh you down, I think the OM-D might be it.

Old 02-24-2012   #233
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

The OM-D is starting to look very attractive to me as a replacement to my only other digital aside from my D700 ... my aging, slowly dying Canon A620 point and shoot.

This ^ on top of having serious thoughts about getting a used M9, is doing my head in!

I should have stayed away! LOL

Old 02-25-2012   #234
ajuk

OM-D? OM-D? Are they cracking me up? Are they stoned? How is it an OM-D when it doesn't have an OM mount and it's not even an SLR?

Old 02-25-2012   #235
nighstar
eternal beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajuk View Post
OM-D? OM-D? Are they cracking me up? Are they stoned? How is it an OM-D when it doesn't have an OM mount and it's not even an SLR?
....welcome to the thread.

if you really want an answer to your question, which you probably don't, feel free to sift through this thread. this has already been discussed a million times.

Old 02-25-2012   #236
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Uinku: Well put. I think this camera may be, for many, one wherein the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. I'll bet Alex Majoli and some other high profile photojournalists give this a serious evaluation.

Old 02-25-2012   #237
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Ajuk: Have a good time tilting at windmills!

Old 02-25-2012   #238
ajuk

No, but seriously it's nothing more than an E-System camera made to look something like an OM camera as a cash in, I'm surprised it's not an SLR though.
I take it it comes with an OM lens adapter?

Old 02-25-2012   #239
EthanFrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajuk
No, but seriously it's nothing more than an E-System camera made to look something like an OM camera as a cash in, I'm surprised it's not an SLR though.
I take it it comes with an OM lens adapter?
But it's not E-system, it's m4/3 (versus 4/3). No adapter is included.

-ethan

500px

Old 02-25-2012   #240
bellyface
Registered Nice Guy

It's not an slr, technically. But m4/3 has the advantage of multiple lens compatibility (adapters not included) ... Even c-mount ccd cam lenses with unique effects. Only issue with using 35mm lenses, including older zuiko-m lenses is you double your focal lengths. The m4/3 is basically a half frame 35mm. So others have questions about the usability.

On the same note, I respect Olympus for trying to fill the gap where clunky aps-c sensor cams haven't been able to.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Photographers deal in things which are continually
vanishing and when they have vanished there is no
contrivance on earth which can make them come
back again."
-Henri Cartier Bresson