Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

stolen camera finder
Old 05-03-2011   #1
porktaco

stolen camera finder

Stolen Camera Finder, A Site That Finds Photos Taken By Your Camera

By EDW Lynch on May 3, 2011

Stolen Camera Finder by Matt Burns is a simple website that can track down a lost or stolen camera by searching online for the camera’s serial number in the Exif data embedded in many digital photos. The site has a growing database of serial numbers mapped to photos posted online–more than one million cameras have been identified.
Every photo you take with your digital camera contains hidden information about both the image and the camera such as the make, model and date. This information, called exif data, can also include a unique serial number which identifies your camera. stolencamerafinder crawls the internet searching for photos, collecting the serial numbers of the cameras that took them. When you use the drag & drop feature, stolencamerafinder reads the unique serial number from the exif data of your photo and uses it to match against serial numbers it has stored.
via Chris Glass

M digital, M film, X digital.

More photos at my flickr, some of which is friends & family only. Please feel free to message me to become a flickr friend.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49274520@N04/sets/

Old 12-29-2011   #2
lynnb

worth bumping - here's a media story about how a stolen 5DII was recovered, years after it was stolen:
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/c...229-1pdkw.html

Old 02-09-2012   #3
wolves3012

Neat idea. Unfortunately, one that's quite easy to side-step since EXIF data is easily removed from a photo file. Indeed, it's often lost by any modification of the image in software. Of course, if someone doesn't know any better (i.e. most of "joe public") and uploads the original file, bingo! I guess it only takes one file, with the EXIF data intact, to work - so it can't be a bad thing.
Leica IIIC
Yashica Minister III
Zenith C, Zenit C, Zenit E
Minolta XG M, Z1
Nikon P50
Panasonic Lumix G2, Kit lens + 45-150mm

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason."- Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-02-2012   #4
SausalitoDog

Neat idea. Hope I never need it but will save site just in case.

Toast the miscreants who pinch cameras!!!!!

"You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!'"
- Dave Barry

Old 10-02-2012   #5
peteography
AAAAARGH MOTHERLAND

You could probably use this to see if your now second hand camera is getting up to anything cool too

Old 10-02-2012   #6
Cold

Welp, it just happened to me. Had my D80 & lens stolen from my car at some point in the past week. While I'd love to get it back, I have little hope of ever seeing it again. Checked out the site linked here, and got no results (though it's early yet).

Old 12-08-2012   #7
bokenikon

Interesting concept. I think people have also started "stolen camera" databases. Only catch is (at least in the USA) "innocent until proven guilty." The burden of proof is on the accuser/the prosecution. I wonder how these perps get nabbed (what's the full story?).

Old 04-09-2013   #8
umcelinho
Marcelo

just got my rx100 stolen.... but its not supported on the website as it doesnt write any serial number info on the exif. major bummer
• cameras & lenses

What I've seen around: flickr

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9
dtcls100

Trouble is that even if you locate your stolen camera, you may not be entitled to recover it if the person who now has it purchased it in good faith for bona fide value without reasonably knowing it was stolen. It strikes me that actual photographers aren't typically camera thieves -- the actual thieves are often folks looking to make some quick money selling the item. Recovering your stolen item from someone who claims to be a good faith purchaser would likely require some sort of legal action. Even tracing back the item to the seller thief could easily require meaningful time and money.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10
Nikos72

Stupid me! By reading the title I though it would had been a thread about a stolen camera finder! :-)
(that coffee isn't working any more!)

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #11
Pherdinand
5000 & call it a day!

ah cool. My wife's nikon was nicked easter monday (no bunny was harmed)
maybe there's a chance
thx

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #12
Cameron

If only this could support the Mamiya RB67 and Nikon F2 I had stolen from me this morning.