Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Digital Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M" > Digital M Reported Problems - all Models

View Poll Results: Did you check your M8 for "Vertical Line" problem?
I am using my M8 extensively and I check it for the problem but it does not exist. 34 26.36%
I am using my M8 extensively and I check it for the problem and it exists. 56 43.41%
I am not using my M8 extensively and I check it for the problem but it does not exist. 7 5.43%
I am not using my M8 extensively and I check it for the problem but it exists. 10 7.75%
I have never check my M8 for this problem. 22 17.05%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2011   #76
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampguy View Post
hmm, where's jaapv? He seemed to know what serial #'s got free sensor upgrades, and which one just needed some parts.
How? I'd like to verify my M8's s/n.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 01-31-2012   #77
flyalf

Hi all,

Any advice from you; I assume I need to send my M9 to Leica?

I discovered black/blue vertical lines on all my photos from outdoor session 30.01.2012 on my M9 s.n. 3834853, FW 1.162. The line starts aprox 1/3 from top and goes all the way down on left hand side of photos. All are night exposures with f/4 and 2- 30 s and ISO range from 160 to 1250. All are taken on uncompressed DNG only, and all photos, aprox 50 have this line.

After discovering this I did a series indoor with same card / lenses with formatted card. I used different level of lightning, ranging from ISO160 / 0,5s / f/2 to ISO1250 / 12s / f/11 and imported in LR 3.5. The lines do not appear on all, only on the low light photos (6 out of 26). There are also long exposure photos without lines.

I have also checked older low light photos without finding these lines.

Please see sample photos:
http://flyalf.wordpress.com/2012/01/...pes-on-photos/

Old 01-31-2012   #78
Doug

Yes, Alf, the M9 will need attention from Leica. They may only need to "map out" a bad pixel. I had two bad pixels on my M9 but they didn't produce lines. But on my M8 I had a 1-pixel line from top to bottom. Both cameras were fixed by Leica at no charge, with no indication of what they did to fix the problems. Best of luck!

Old 02-02-2012   #79
flyalf

Thanks for advice. Now sent to Leica through retailer. But how to live without ?

Old 02-03-2012   #80
NickTrop

I don't own this camera but have been reading these M8 threads for a while. Between the IR/UV sensitivity and sensor issues, and their sluggish customer service, this camera is a way-overpriced dog. Reviews show no better IQ than any other APS-C camera, and it costs way more. It has more issues, and appears to be less durable, than any entry-level Japanese DSLR, the Canon Ti/Rebels, the Pentax K's, the Nikon D's - what have you, whose bodies are a fractuon of the price. The M8 should have been recalled by Leica, which is exactly what Nikon did when early D5000s had issues. Bit the bullet, took'em off the shelves, had them sent them back to the factory, fixed the issue, and sold them -below cost probably/guessing- as sub $500 body refurbs. I think it's a disgrace, personally. No - I don't own this camera. It's the last digital camera I'd ever consider purchasing, and you're welcome to flame away... be my guest.

Old 02-03-2012   #81
MCTuomey

well nick, that post got my *ignore* vote

Bill Pierce's "photographer's proposition": I saw something wonderful, let me show it to you.

Leica and Zeiss M
Fuji X-T1
Minolta Autocord
Fuji GX680 (in process)

My Flickr

Old 02-03-2012   #82
NickTrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTuomey View Post
well nick, that post got my *ignore* vote
As I said, flame away, or ignore. That's my opinion of the M8 - agree/disagree/flame/ignore. As I said, be my guest. No other camera manufacturer, I'd argue in history, has "gotten away with" selling a camera with this many issues - and yet? Folks still buy'em. (Shakes head - which should be a "Smilie")

Old 02-07-2012   #83
flyalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTrop View Post
As I said, flame away, or ignore. That's my opinion of the M8 - agree/disagree/flame/ignore. As I said, be my guest. No other camera manufacturer, I'd argue in history, has "gotten away with" selling a camera with this many issues - and yet? Folks still buy'em. (Shakes head - which should be a "Smilie")
I don't know enough facts to compare to other cameras. My last two digitals have been a Nikon D700 and a M9, and they have had aprox the same reliance . But this doesnt make a statistical sound representation.

My point is that reading in a forum where we post problems and try to deduce quality from this might not be the most objective way .

Im not arguing pro or cons, but even if I had been aware of my current small problems I would have done the same purchase. I even considered to buy a backup M9, but could afford it. I guess one have to try the camera and watch the results to understand this. But all others that doesn't share this "madness" have my full sympathy (living a duller life )

Old 03-01-2012   #84
netzspannung
aka _basil

Hi guys. I had the bloody problem on a second hand M8 I recently bought, green vertical line on high isos.. it is never immediately apparent when the sensor is still cold. When I checked the camera, it wasn't evident, then when it was too late, the seller would not return my calls.. Well, there had to be a reason for a low price

Now the good part - Leica store in Moscow fixed mine for free, no sending to Solms, out of warranty, no money, no nothing. Less than a week total. Greetings fly out to Timur the repairman. I was and am astounded ))

Be warned and try your local Leica service centers, they know how to remap the sensor.. ask and you shall receive

Good luck

Old 03-01-2012   #85
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTrop View Post

Stereotypes do not a fact make.

Those of us who own one know. Those of you, who like to regurgitate whatever you cherry-pick which supports your point of view, bring any credibility you may have on other subjects down to cable talking head territory.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 03-03-2012   #86
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Yup, I knew. My M8 went back to the factory 3 times before I sold it. I only owned it for 16 months too. 7 of those months it was at Leica NJ.
I had a classmate who bought an M8 and it had issues apparent on the first day so he sent it back to Tamarkin, got a refund. Same guy turned around and got an M8 from BCC to learn on the 4th day that it had issues so he sent it back and got a refund.
Another friend had an M8 with the problem, had it fixed, it resurfaced in the same place then he sent it to Leica, had it repaired then sold it.
The local shop here in Philly that services Leica sent 3 other M8 bodies in to Leica NJ within 1 week for the same problem.

The same problem exists with the M9 but it's more easily repaired.
My M9 has been to Leica NJ three times as well. Owned it now for 17 months and this time only 7 of those months have been spent out for repair. I've had the vertical line problem twice, a horizontal magenta banding that was intermittent and numerous shutter faults as well. Had the sensor and shutter replaced last time in.
This is the reason that Leica had to allow for an extension of the warranty as of 9/9/11 because there would have been a lot of angry Leica die hards out there having to pay out of pocket for known camera issues.

After that, I still love the camera in spite of it being a pain in the ass. It gives me the best files to work with. That said, I'm used to the reliability of my M4 and M4-P which neither the M8 nor the M9 are or ever will be.

Enjoy.

Phil Forrest