Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Old 04-27-2011   #76
furcafe

I use both, but w/the Tele-Rolleiflex, as they were intended (to get within "normal" ranges of closeness w/that model for environmental/head & shoulder portraits, etc.). Per Calzone's post, you can use the stronger Rolleinars w/the Tele-Rolleiflex, too, if you want to get really tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
Anyone using Rolleinar .35 or .7 ?
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.

--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

Old 04-27-2011   #77
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by furcafe View Post
I use both, but w/the Tele-Rolleiflex, as they were intended (to get within "normal" ranges of closeness w/that model for environmental/head & shoulder portraits, etc.). Per Calzone's post, you can use the stronger Rolleinars w/the Tele-Rolleiflex, too, if you want to get really tight.
Ok great to know. I have both with the tele Rolleiflex I bought from another rff member. The .35 seems natural but the .7 is confusing me when I mess about with it. Like there is a gap in the focus range or maybe a gap between my ears (more likely)

Old 04-28-2011   #78
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
Ok great to know. I have both with the tele Rolleiflex I bought from another rff member. The .35 seems natural but the .7 is confusing me when I mess about with it. Like there is a gap in the focus range or maybe a gap between my ears (more likely)
Check out Sander's work. He does some great head shots using Rolleinars and a Tele Rolleiflex.

Cal

Maggie's blog: WWW.AccidentalIcon.com

Old 04-28-2011   #79
jibanes

Where does the focus ring has to be when using a rolleinar?

Old 04-28-2011   #80
t.s.k.
Hooked on philm

^^ Huh?

Do you mean what is the focusing range with the rolleinars?
Look here

Well here's mine. I finally got around to scanning a few negs.

Tele Rollei + stacked 0.35 and #1 rolleinars
Tmax400@400

You can observe a lot by just watching.
-- Yogi Berra

Old 05-02-2011   #81
ianstamatic

sometimes they are just great to get in a little closer.

Rollinar 1 bay3 on 2.8e planar

My site

My Blog
My Instagram

Rollei 2.8E, II and Vb, Autocord, Ricoh Diacord +225, Ikoflex
Leica M3 x2 + CL, Contax G1 +28 +45 +90, Rollei 35s, Nikon F3, Lynx 14, Oly OM1, 35RC, 35SP,Konica EE, S2
Fuji gs645 folder +645W, Agfa Isolette's J,I, III, Iskra x2, Welta Waltur x2, Zenobia x3, Super Ikonta 532/16, ZI Nettar
Mamiya RZ Pro x2 bods, 50, 65, 110, 180, 240
Crown Graphic, Toyo 45a : 75 + 90 + 120 +135 +150 + 203 + 210 + 240
PhotoTherm SSK-8R, Aztec Drum Scanner

Old 05-07-2011   #82
Uncle Bill

Location: Oakville (somewhere west of Toronto) Ontario, Canada

Daffodils and Tulips by Bill Smith1, on Flickr

Rolleinar 1 on my Rolleicord IV with Ektar 100.

Old 08-02-2011   #83
Themckane

So I just picked up a Rolleinar 1 for my rolleicord V. question: Do you see a difference when looking thru the view finder? I did not see a difference

thanks

Old 08-02-2011   #84
froyd

You should be able to get the lens much closer to the subject than usual, and the viewfinder should show a focused image at that close-up range.

Make sure you are using the adapter on both the taking and the viewing lens, and that the viewing lens piece is outfitted with perspective correction, to compensate for parallax.

Old 08-03-2011   #85
Themckane

Thank you....

Old 02-05-2012   #86
johannielscom
985 & 532/16

Well, I've read the whole thread and I've got a bit more of an understanding now, thanks.

But firstly I'm missing shots from these nice contraptions and secondly I'd be most interested in a shortlist of possible solutions for my 2.8F, on which I'd like to use a dioptre-1 attachment.

I've seen nice filter ring adapters that transform Bay III to simple 46mm filters, but am not sure if these can be used on both lenses, and what about parallax then?

Gotta add, I'll be using the camera for portraits 90%

Thanks for any info on this!

My photography & gear articles: www.johanniels.com

Old 02-05-2012   #87
rover

Johan, I have thought of the Close-up filter solution too, but they will not correct for parallax. The viewing piece (one part or two) on a Rolleinar has a prism which corrects for this to some degree. If you are doing tripod work there is a separate item which I forget the name of at the moment, which you can engage once focus is achieved to lift the camera body slightly to correct for the parallax. If you use this device then the much less expensive because they don't say Rollei on them close-up filters will work.

In the end, for close ups, I figured my Hasselblad is better suited and I got a Hoya close-up filter, in 67mm as I have a Bay 60 to 67mm adaptor ring, and a Bay 60 close-up filter is over twice as expensive as a 67mm, because it is of course associated with Hasselblad.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 02-05-2012   #88
Sarcophilus Harrisii

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover View Post
Johan, I have thought of the Close-up filter solution too, but they will not correct for parallax. The viewing piece (one part or two) on a Rolleinar has a prism which corrects for this to some degree. If you are doing tripod work there is a separate item which I forget the name of at the moment, which you can engage once focus is achieved to lift the camera body slightly to correct for the parallax. If you use this device then the much less expensive because they don't say Rollei on them close-up filters will work.

In the end, for close ups, I figured my Hasselblad is better suited and I got a Hoya close-up filter, in 67mm as I have a Bay 60 to 67mm adaptor ring, and a Bay 60 close-up filter is over twice as expensive as a 67mm, because it is of course associated with Hasselblad.
Mamiya produced a couple of versions of a device called a Paramender for their C series TLRs. Fitted between the tripod and the camera, the user focuses with it in the lowered position. Before making the shot the Paramender is used to raise the taking lens into the precise position occupied by the viewing lens during composition of the shot. Parallax and perspective problems are thus eliminated rather than compensated for.

I do not know how adaptable the Paramenders are to other TLR types such as Rollei and Yashica. Varying distances between the lenses of the different types may be a factor. I have been using a C220 recently in addition to the Rolleis, so I would like to acquire a Paramender eventually myself for the Mamiya, ideally for Rolleis as well.

Last time I checked KEH had several on offer--too bad the minimum shipping to Australia is $60 flat...
Regards,
Brett

Old 02-05-2012   #89
rover

I just saw on ebay a Minolta version for the Autocord, and I am relatively sure there is a Rollei Paramender too. That is the accessory I was thinking of.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 02-05-2012   #90
Sarcophilus Harrisii

Quote:
I just saw on ebay a Minolta version for the Autocord, and I am relatively sure there is a Rollei Paramender too. That is the accessory I was thinking of.
OK, thanks, I was not aware of the Rollei type; I will have a look in "The Rollei Way" to see if I can find out more about that one.
Regards,
Brett

Old 02-05-2012   #91
pinkarmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.s.k. View Post
...Tele Rollei + stacked 0.35 and #1 rolleinars
Tmax400@400
...mmm...i really want one for mine...

Old 02-05-2012   #92
PMCC
Late adopter.

Quote:
There's an accessory for the Autocord called the Minolta Paradjuster. Works great. I haven't tried it on any other TLR -- the question is whether the distance between viewing and taking lenses for the other camera in question matches that of the Autocord. Bay I fit cameras would be the prime candidates, and interchangeable lens caps would be a good sign. The Paradjuster attaches to the tripod bush, while the Rollei is ideally attached with a Rolleifix, so in order to preserve the interocular distance one would have to take care going naked without the Rolleifix.

Old 02-05-2012   #93
Monz
Monz

The Old Man gets new glasses by *monz*, on Flickr

The Rolleiflex 2.8F has a 80mm taking lens which is either a Planar or, as in this model, a Xenotar. If the Rolleiflex was an old man, it would be diagnosed “longsighted” because the closest focusing distance for the 80mm lens is only about 1m. This limitation makes it difficult to take head and shoulder portraits without cropping. One workaround is to use a Rolleinar close up attachment. Rolleinars come in three strengths - they are, in increasing order of magnification:

Rolleinar no 1: focuses 39.5 - 17.75 inches
Rolleinar no 2: focuses 19.75 - 12.125 inches
Rolleinar no 3: focuses 12.5 - 9.5 inches

Each Rolleinar comes as two lenses: one thin lens fits over the lower “taking” lens of the camera; a second thicker lens with built in prism (to compensate for parallax) fits over the upper “viewing” lens of the camera. After a long search, I managed to get my hands on a Rolleinar no 2 in good condition. In this photo, the two parts of the Rolleinear no 2 are attached. The system works well and the results are very acceptable. Here are some examples using the Rolleinar no2:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/monz/56...in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/monz/56...n/photostream/

My Top 10

Flickr Gallery

Old 02-05-2012   #94
Monz
Monz

Fish out of water by *monz*, on Flickr

Rolleiflex 2.8F,
80mm Xenotar taking lens with Rolleinar no 2,
Ilford FP4+, ISO 125,
Developed in Rodinal 1+50 for 15 mins at 20C

My Top 10

Flickr Gallery

Old 02-05-2012   #95
Monz
Monz

Practice makes perfect by *monz*, on Flickr

Rolleiflex 2.8F,
Bergger BRF-400 film, ISO 400 (out of date),
Developed in Rodinal 1+25 for 7.5 mins at 20C

My Top 10

Flickr Gallery

Old 02-05-2012   #96
Monz
Monz

Heart of Gold by *monz*, on Flickr

Rolleiflex 2.8F,
Bergger BRF-400 film, ISO 400 (out of date),
Developed in Rodinal 1+25 for 7.5 mins at 20C

My Top 10

Flickr Gallery

Old 02-05-2012   #97
johannielscom
985 & 532/16

Impressive stuff, Monz. Seems you got that close-up shooting down real good!

Meanwhile, I found this manual on rolleiflex accessories on butkus.org. Thought I'd post it here to help out those that were as lost as I was/am on the Rolleinar stuff.

Unfortunately, the Rollei eq. of the paramender isn't in there. Anybody that can show me one?

My photography & gear articles: www.johanniels.com

Old 03-29-2012   #98
Vics

Can anyone point me to a source to buy a Rolleiparkiel 1, Bay 1?

My Flickr

Old 04-20-2012   #99
Robert Lai

I just had a look at the Mamiya paramender on ebay. It is a simple geared column. It can't be too hard to just use a marker and mark out the distance between the lenses for your Rolleiflex on the column. Or, if you want to make it permanent, use a file and make a permanent mark there.

Old 04-26-2012   #100
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

Saw some questions/confusion on the parallax issue with the Rolleinars. You should have two lenses. The smaller lens goes over the taking lens. The larger lens that fits over the viewing lens has a prism in it that takes care of parallax -- no need whatsoever for a paramender item such as Mamiya and Minolta offered for their TLRs.

And in terms of focusing, look through the finder and turn the focusing knob until the subject is in focus. No estimating needed. You just need to know what the usable focusing ranges are for the different Rolleinars -- the Rolleinar 1 goes from roughly 1 meter down to 1/2 meter; the 2 goes from 1/2 meter (or 18 inches) down to about 12 inches; I'm not sure about the 3 since I don't have one, but it's maybe 12 inches to 8 inches. Use small apertures since the depth of field gets really shallow!

I'm a big fan of these, since they really give a TLR a lot more flexibility.