Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Fixed Lens Advanced Compacts > Fuji X Fixed Lens

Fuji X Fixed Lens This forum is for fans of the rangefinder retrostyled Fuji X Series of digital cameras.

Old 01-21-2012   #26
Kiev Ilegalac

I would always choose 5d over x100. Just get 35mm f2.0 and you will have all you need. For having it all the time by your side, get yourself lx5 or something like that - it will provide you with decent shots... more than that. And when you go taking photos, you go taking photos, it's not that you're 5 years old girl, it won't hurt you. And it's much better camera, you will never have to worry, but you should know it better than me - I only used it couple of times.
Alex

Old 01-21-2012   #27
clicker

I would go with the X100, the tack sharp lens is worth the price of admission.

Old 01-21-2012   #28
keytarjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiev Ilegalac View Post
And when you go taking photos, you go taking photos, it's not that you're 5 years old girl, it won't hurt you.

When I go out taking photos, the 5D is the last camera I pick up. That's the problem. It's not about the size or weight of it. It's that, why would I bother with that when I can use a 6x7 or 4x5 which I prefer over a 35mm digital sensor. The 4x5 offers time to contemplate the composition and full tilts and shifts in all directions. The Mamiya offers a wonderful rangefinder/viewfinder and much better image quality/larger sensor area. I use the Pentax 6x7 mostly at night or for portraits, where an SLR is more practical. IQ of that looks better to me than my 5D. The 5D is my second or third lightest camera, to my Olympus Stylus Epic and maybe my Mamiya 7, I think it's lighter but I don't remember. So it's not like I'm afraid of the weight.

The other problem with your suggestions is that I don't want to put more money than I already have into this - buying a LX5 and a 35mm f/2 would cost me around $750-800. This costs me nothing.

Thanks for your opinions everyone...looks like I'm trading for one tonight.

Old 01-21-2012   #29
Bobfrance
Over Exposed

Honestly, you sound to be in a very similar position to that which I was in.

I preferred preferred shooting medium format with my Rolleiflex. However I had a Leica M8 and a 35mm Summilux ASPH that had been relegated to my backup camera/digital option. It seemed a waste to have so much money tied up in a camera that just sat in my bag most of the time. Plus it wasn't that light or that small.

In the end I sold them, and with the money, I bought a Mamiya 7ii with three lenses and and an X100 for a general purpose digital fun.

When I'm seriously shooting I shoot medium format, but the X100 is always in my bag for snaps and an emergency backup. When I'm not seriously shooting the X100 is in my pocket.
I looked at LX5s, Leica X1s and the like, but the viewfinder of the X100 and the f2 lens sealed the deal for me.

I suspect you'd be happy with is as you are not looking for the ultimate digital fix, you shoot medium format film, so are no doubt aware that digital is inferior and just for convenience. Not for your real work.

Old 01-21-2012   #30
NickTrop

As is the case with any of these kinds of posts, the OP has made up his mind already but is seeking validation. You got it. Get the X100. It's what you want to do anyway.

Old 01-21-2012   #31
Pablito
coco frío

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTrop View Post
As is the case with any of these kinds of posts, the OP has made up his mind already but is seeking validation. You got it. Get the X100. It's what you want to do anyway.
yeah.

Or don't get it if you need the flexibility of the dslr for a variety of photographic tasks. But I suspect not since you only have the one lens anyway.

As a bar girl in the far east once said to me, "up to you"

Old 01-21-2012   #32
f16sunshine
Like boots in the dryer..

Dale

Like Bobfrance and you I shoot mostly with Medium format film at least, when I'm shooting for just myself. The x100 has become a perfect lightweight companion to a TLR, 6x9 Folder, or crown graphic. I don't often load color film in the film cameras. Occasionally I do want to capture the color of the moment. This job used to go to an M8 and Biogon c 35mm. Now it goes to the x100 and the little camera performs great. Used prices will be rapidly coming down. I predict you will have some great opportunities to pick up a well priced lightly used one in the coming month or so. Have pause and you will have your pick of some deals.

Not normally a landscape photographer. Imagine if I only had my phone came and B+W film for this display of light ..

Old 01-21-2012   #33
Pablito
coco frío

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
Imagine if I only had my phone came and B+W film for this display of light ..
well the image would be certainly different but not necessarily worse.

Old 01-21-2012   #34
Peter Wijninga

If you want a digital camera with a signature consider the Epson R-D1 or R-D1s.

Old 01-21-2012   #35
keytarjunkie

Did it...

I really like it so far, battery life isn't fabulous but I can definitely live with the autofocus. It's so light, IQ is so good (I actually like it better than the 5D, especially for jpg white balance and out-of-camera b&w)

Old 01-21-2012   #36
clicker

Great choice,happy shooting!

Old 01-21-2012   #37
Juan Valdenebro
Truth is beauty

Good luck! That was like trading a good car for a bicycle because you want to avoid gasoline and you want to do some exercise... They do different things... And there are expensive bicycles... But if the game is street and for you it has to be digital, it'll do fine 9 out of 10 times... Probably you'll just miss a bit both the ability to confirm focus by eye, and the manual focus... But focal length and lens quality/speed are great.

Cheers,

Juan

Old 01-22-2012   #38
gavinlg

Updates?

(tencharacters)

Old 01-26-2012   #39
keytarjunkie

Okay, sorry, updates! I've had the camera for five or six days. LOVE it.

Here are a few...they look even better bigger but they're all verticals so it won't fit on some peoples pages etc bleh

I have two problems with the camera. The autofocus and everything else I can live with. The first problem is accidentally hitting all of the back buttons and doing dumb stuff like accidentally turning on the flash and macro mode and changing white balance. Yesterday I learned you can lock those buttons so that's no longer an issue. But the biggest problem is the freakin on/off switch!!! WHENEVER I unscrew my cable release, it turns the camera off! And even sometimes when I'm taking pictures, I will accidentally turn off the camera with my hand. I bet this wouldn't be a problem if I had a soft release. But at least with a cable release, yeah, that's not cool.

Other than that it's been fabulous...

Old 01-26-2012   #40
celluloidprop

If you can spare the coin for a Thumbs-Up grip for the X100, it's well worth the money. Totally changed the handling for me, I never touch any of the buttons on the back (accidentally) anymore.

http://matchtechnical.com/ThumbsUpEP5S.aspx

Old 01-26-2012   #41
mooge
gostan! gostan!

Dale, your tumblr is pretty awesome.

Old 01-27-2012   #42
gavinlg

Killing it bro - you've had the camera for like 2 days and already you've made some of the best photos I've seen with the x100. Glad it's working for you!

Old 01-27-2012   #43
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTrop View Post
I agree. Plus, the camera that you'll bring with you is always better than the one you won't. Specs mean **** if it's sitting in your home.

Old 01-27-2012   #44
keytarjunkie

thanks guys, I'm really looking forward to using the camera more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloidprop View Post
If you can spare the coin for a Thumbs-Up grip
can't. that's like four weeks worth of food. I wish though