Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Bigger than 35 RF's > 120 RF's

120 RF's 120 / 220 format rangefinders including Fuji, Koni-Omega, Mamiya Press, Linhof 6x7/6x9 cameras, Mamiya 6/7 among others, but excluding the 120 folders and the Voigtlander 667 cameras that have their own forums.

Need Help Scanning Negatives
Old 01-24-2012   #1
Samouraļ

Need Help Scanning Negatives

I have a Plustek OpticFilm 7600i with Silverfast AI, and for the price, I am really happy with the quality of the scans (despite the fact that its claimed resolution may be slightly inflated).

I am becoming interested in medium format photography and actually have a Mamiya 6mf on the way. I also have recently done some test shooting with a Bronica GS-1. With these large (medium) negatives, I am afraid I won't be able to get a decent scan off without taking it to a drum scanner.

Does anyone have a recommendation for scanning medium format negatives? I am guessing flatbeds are the only way to go for modern operating systems/for the price...

Thanks for the help.

p.s. I realize the ignorance of this post, but I have tried finding some useful information concerning this, but it mostly dates back to 2005.

Old 01-24-2012   #2
Dan Daniel

http://www.dpug.org/forums/f6/

Plustek is rumored to be about to release a medium format scanner. Nikon's 8000 and 9000 models handle medium format. Epson V700/750. And I'm having a fine old time with an Epson V500. Printing to 10 inch square, I am happy. I've used a $12,000 Hasselblad/Imacon scanner on the same negatives, and the differences, although real, are not so much that I can't use the V500 scans any more. Maybe with color I 'd be saying something different. Samples-
http://dandaniel.zenfolio.com/p92646000

Old 01-24-2012   #3
Roscoe

There's a ton of info in the Scanners forum here. I too have been using a v500 with decent results for MF and have a Plustek 7400 on its way for 135.

Old 01-24-2012   #4
Samouraļ

I might have to wait for this rumored Plustek scanner. I've used an HP 8300 Flatbed in the past and had lots of issues and muddy prints. More headache than it's worth. I'll take a look at some of those Epson scanners as well. Again thanks for the info, and I'll head over to the scanners forum.

Old 01-24-2012   #5
kokoshawnuff

you definitely won't get muddy scans with a v500 or v700, great results for medium and large format