Old 01-11-2012   #41
cabbiinc
Slightly Irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLewis View Post
I think the dealmaker for a 135 or 120 scanner going forward is not IQ, but rather the ability to scan a whole uncut roll of film automatically.
I doubt that there's that big of a demand for that. The deal maker is speed of the entire scanning process of all of the formats involved.

Old 01-11-2012   #42
Matus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbiinc View Post
I doubt that there's that big of a demand for that. The deal maker is speed of the entire scanning process of all of the formats involved.
I would say that coolscan 5000 and 9000 are a good gauge to compare to if one has in mind the usage by a lab. In 35mm a scan of uncut roll was provided for, but it seems that it was not necessary for 120.
... per camera: Olympus XA , Jupiter J3 , Rolleiflex T, Mamiya 6, Ricoh GRDIII shots

Old 01-11-2012   #43
bwcolor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdruziak View Post
Anerjee, I can't release any specs until we make the formal announcement. Sorry. This is killing me as much as it is killing you guys!
OK, enough with the excuses... Put on your Tux, do the car show thing and hire some good looking female models and get on with it.

Look forward to what you have to say.

Old 02-04-2012   #44
mijosc

This link was tweeted by @PlustekScanners on Feb. 1: http://t.co/5MIfDCFH

If you don't read German (I don't), you can use Google Translate.

Highlights include:
* Low noise CCD sensor
* 10660 dpi!
* Multi-Exposure and iSRD
* Includes Silverfast Ai Studio IT8
* Date and costs are not yet determined.

Old 02-04-2012   #45
Matus

Well - let's see. Apart form the scanning resolution (a joke, right?) it all sounds good. Curios about the price and performance - but I guess we have to wait a little longer.

Mark - please keep us informed.
... per camera: Olympus XA , Jupiter J3 , Rolleiflex T, Mamiya 6, Ricoh GRDIII shots

Old 02-04-2012   #46
morback
Martin N. Hinze

Quote:
Laut Hersteller soll eine aus acht Schichten bestehende Speziallinse die hohe digitale Auflösung von 10.660 dpi voll ausnutzen und damit feinste Details in den Vorlagen auch im digitalen Abbild sichtbar werden lassen.
Hmm, they say it uses a 8 layer lens to achieve this high resolution with low noise. Will be presented at the next CeBit. I believe that's a German tech show.

I'm very curious to see if it'll be better than my Nikon 9000ED...

My Flickr
The Great Picnic

Old 02-04-2012   #47
gavinlg

Can't wait to see some solid figures/specs for this - it's a gorgeous looking unit!

Old 02-06-2012   #48
mdruziak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcolor View Post
OK, enough with the excuses... Put on your Tux, do the car show thing and hire some good looking female models and get on with it.

Look forward to what you have to say.
Searching for models as we speak.

Old 02-06-2012   #49
mdruziak

Last week I met with our CTO. The product direction was changed about a year ago based on customer feedback and feedback from members this forum and a few others.

One thing you will notice if you see some of the older photos of this scanner (see Plustek's Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pluste...69691449783876) is the new design features a completely different loading strategy than the original design. Yes an autofeeder.

The CTO was clear that he has very high design goals for this scanner. There was a lot of emphasis on image quality, lens and sensor design. Unfortunately, the sensor we were going to use was recently discontinued after a large photographic company sold off its sensor division. A suitable replacement was found but the delay cost us about 5 months. I'm not sure about the resolution stated in the CeBIT press release, but my colleagues in Germany are usually quite accurate!

Keep watching our Twitter, Google + and Facebook pages. I'll be posting info as I get it.

Old 02-06-2012   #50
useless generation

Great news can't wait

Leica M6 Millennium + Leica M2 + Leica 50mm Summicron V4 + Leica 35mm Summicron V4

Old 02-07-2012   #51
XFer
-

I am very concerned about focusing.
A high resolution scanner for 120 film does need some kind of focus adjustment. Automatic if possible, manual if not; but it absolutely needs to be there.
A nice plus would be special carriers for wet mounting (as accessories to be purchased separately).

I'd also love to see 6x12 support (Nikon 8000 and 9000 stop at 6x9).

The best of luck with your new product, Plustek!

Fernando

Old 02-07-2012   #52
gavinlg

Quote:
Last week I met with our CTO. The product direction was changed about a year ago based on customer feedback and feedback from members this forum and a few others.

One thing you will notice if you see some of the older photos of this scanner (see Plustek's Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pluste...69691449783876) is the new design features a completely different loading strategy than the original design. Yes an autofeeder.

The CTO was clear that he has very high design goals for this scanner. There was a lot of emphasis on image quality, lens and sensor design. Unfortunately, the sensor we were going to use was recently discontinued after a large photographic company sold off its sensor division. A suitable replacement was found but the delay cost us about 5 months. I'm not sure about the resolution stated in the CeBIT press release, but my colleagues in Germany are usually quite accurate!

Keep watching our Twitter, Google + and Facebook pages. I'll be posting info as I get it.
I literally can't wait. Would love to know when it's going to be available though!

Old 02-07-2012   #53
dazedgonebye

At risk of asking a silly question... Would this scanner also do 35mm?

"And I know now that the cure for my childhood was not to be looked after, as I once believed; it was to look after someone else." ~Philip Norman

Photography Blog
Flickr
Twitter

Old 02-07-2012   #54
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedgonebye View Post
yep It's a 35/120 unit.

Old 02-08-2012   #55
mdruziak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedgonebye View Post
Yup! 35mm, 120, up to 6x12.

Old 02-08-2012   #56
rawhead

I'd just like to chime in; I, too, just CANNOT wait. After my 8000ED croaked (after only 50 rolls or so of 120), and Nikon told me they couldn't fix it due to lack of parts––yes, 8000ED is now officially EOL/unsupported––I've been looking for something to replace it with. 8000ED is out of the question, and 9000ED, esp. with recent hikes in the used prices, is likewise. Consider me a customer if this thing come in with specs that at least compete with 9000ED at a sub-2K price range.

Old 02-09-2012   #57
sleepyhead

Count me too as a strong potential customer.

Old 02-09-2012   #58
mfunnell
Shaken, so blurred

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead View Post
Count me too as a strong potential customer.
I expect quite a few of us are.

...Mike

My flickr photostream has day-to-day stuff and I've given up most everywhere else through lack of time or perhaps interest.

Old 02-09-2012   #59
Aristophanes

If you want info about the Pacific Image 120 scanner through real world tests:

http://www.dpug.org/forums/f6/pacifi...g-review-2660/

I had a conversation with theOP and his comments about the scanner were mostly negative.

So, awaiting what Plustek has done.

Old 02-09-2012   #60
Aristophanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFer View Post
A nice plus would be special carriers for wet mounting (as accessories to be purchased separately).
If it is an auto feed system where the film retracts internally, I doubt wet mounting is possible, and maybe not necessary for any marginal difference in IQ. I'm just speculating.

Although it is apparently automated, I suspect labs are still more likely to rely on the Fuji Frontier and Noritsu scanners with their service and lease agreements as well as workflow ruggedness. I have had stellar MF scans off both Frontiers and Noritsus.

I just hope the driver for the Plustek is not linked to Silverfast. This is a big issue for many potential customers.

Old 02-09-2012   #61
whitecat
Lone Range(find)er

Doesn't sound too good for batch scanning.

Zeiss Ikon Zm, Olympus Trip, Rolleiflex FX, Yashica Electro 35, Nikon 35 TI, Nikon 28 TI, Widelux F7, Contax TVS III, Zeiss Ikon 35, Minox, Olympus 35 EE3, Konica AA 35, Minox 35 GT, Canonet QL17, and many more....

Old 02-09-2012   #62
Matus

Lot of hopes and wishes here - but I guess that at this stage the product development is probably over and we just have to wait for the final product (and hope for the best).

It is all quite simple: we just ask for good resolution (absolute and effective), large dynamic range, reasonable speed, robustness, low noise, software stability and flexibility, easy batch processing, excellent service and customer care and, of course (goes without saying, really) - reasonable price. I do not see a problem there

Old 02-09-2012   #63
Aristophanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecat View Post
Doesn't sound too good for batch scanning.
No consumer-grade scanners ever did nor could they do so economically.

For that you need a Fuji Frontier or Noritsu.

Old 02-09-2012   #64
bwcolor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristophanes View Post
I just hope the driver for the Plustek is not linked to Silverfast. This is a big issue for many potential customers.
I'm not sure what problem you are referring to. I had to load Silverfast and then update it to the latest version. After this, the drivers were installed correctly and Vuescan worked like a charm. It would have been nice to have had a simple posting with the driver, but given that I only needed to do this once and hard drive space is cheap.. not such a bad experience.

Old 02-09-2012   #65
brbo

Quote:
I'm not sure what problem you are referring to. I had to load Silverfast and then update it to the latest version.
Please, post back when you upgrade your OS and your Silverfast based driver no longer works. We'll be happy to explain Silverfast's pricing model and responsiveness to you then...

Old 02-09-2012   #66
Aristophanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcolor View Post
I'm not sure what problem you are referring to. I had to load Silverfast and then update it to the latest version. After this, the drivers were installed correctly and Vuescan worked like a charm. It would have been nice to have had a simple posting with the driver, but given that I only needed to do this once and hard drive space is cheap.. not such a bad experience.
The driver should reside in the OS and not be intrinsic to the scanning software. This would increase sales.

If the Plustek 120 requires Silverfast, I will not purchase the scanner. I think a considerable % of the potential market think likewise.

Old 02-09-2012   #67
mafoofan

Quote:
No consumer-grade scanners ever did nor could they do so economically.

For that you need a Fuji Frontier or Noritsu.
The Nikon 5000ED could take a whole 35mm roll with an adaptor. If Plustek incorporates such a feature, I'm a guaranteed buyer.

Any chances?

Old 02-10-2012   #68
XFer
-

Quote:
I doubt wet mounting is possible, and maybe not necessary for any marginal difference in IQ. I'm just speculating.
I regularly use wet mounting with most of my scanners, once in a while on the Nikon 8000 as well.
Is does wonders for IQ because it allows for perfect film flatness without requiring focus-stacking.
If you think you never had film flatness issues, then you simply didn't check thoroughly.

Fernando

Old 02-10-2012   #69
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
The Nikon 5000ED could take a whole 35mm roll with an adaptor. If Plustek incorporates such a feature, I'm a guaranteed buyer.

Any chances?
None. No medium format scanner, none, not even the $12,000 imacons, can batch scan 120 film, and no 120/35 scanner can batch 35 either.

Back home again in Indiana

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Technical Info pages: Film Developing times, scanning, printing, editing.

Buy My Prints in RFF Classifieds

Old 02-10-2012   #70
Harry Lime
Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFer View Post
I regularly use wet mounting with most of my scanners, once in a while on the Nikon 8000 as well.
Is does wonders for IQ because it allows for perfect film flatness without requiring focus-stacking.
If you think you never had film flatness issues, then you simply didn't check thoroughly.

Fernando

Scanners with a feed system usually use a glass carrier to keep the film flat...

Old 02-10-2012   #71
mdruziak

No roll feeding. Sorry.

Old 02-10-2012   #72
mfunnell
Shaken, so blurred

Quote:
No roll feeding. Sorry.
Disappointing, I suppose, but not surprising. You can't have everything (but it would be nice ).

...Mike

My flickr photostream has day-to-day stuff and I've given up most everywhere else through lack of time or perhaps interest.

Old 02-10-2012   #73
mafoofan

Quote:
No roll feeding. Sorry.
Damn. Any possibility on a future 35mm-dedicated scanner? That would be the silver bullet for me.

Old 02-10-2012   #74
Harry Lime
Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfunnell View Post
Disappointing, I suppose, but not surprising. You can't have everything (but it would be nice ).

...Mike
Well, there never has been a desktop 135/120 scanner that could batch scan an entire roll.

I'm very glad to see that this scanner made it to market and I'll be looking at one for purchase. Film shooters have been in a real bad spot since Nikon and Minolta have gotten out of the game. So, I'm very excited that Plutek has decided to give this a go.

Old 02-12-2012   #75
Teuthida
-

Plustek has my business on this one. It'll sit next to my 7400. Thanks to Plustek for meeting the demand.

70mm and long panorama-stripes
Old 02-18-2012   #76
europanorama

70mm and long panorama-stripes

Next version must have 70mm width with 60mm image and must have a tunnel for extra-long-panoramic stripes. I discussed this 10 years ago with plustek germany.

This has been discussed endlessly in flatbed-discussions.

I was told we have to wait at least until mid-year. Marc?
I wouldnt bring it out until its working properly.

Negaflat?
how would a negaflat-holder-technique(from beseler enlarger ) work?
3DSTEREO-Aeropanoramas
Marspanoramas in 3DSTEREO
under reconstruction

Old 02-18-2012   #77
crispy12

I've been so happy with my Plustek 7600, such great quality in a low price, compact package. I bring mine overseas with me! Will this MF scanner will have similar qualities?

Old 02-20-2012   #78
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
No roll feeding. Sorry.
No need to be sorry.

To those who want so much automation that all the want to do is push a button, I offer this opposing view:

Selecting which frame to scan is part of editing, it forces you to examine your negatives physically. Guess what, it's good for your growth as a photographer.

Old 02-20-2012   #79
mafoofan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
No need to be sorry.

To those who want so much automation that all the want to do is push a button, I offer this opposing view:

Selecting which frame to scan is part of editing, it forces you to examine your negatives physically. Guess what, it's good for your growth as a photographer.
Roll feeding unchains me from my desk, freeing up valuable time. It means I don't have to scan proofs, review, then scan all over again. I'd rather scan everything at the optimal resolution to begin with, then review and edit on screen as I please--how that would retard the development of my photographic acumen, I cannot fathom.

Keep in mind, some of us are busy with things other than photography and need all the time we can get to justify further pursuing it as a hobby.

Anyway, I suspect the relative rarity of roll feeding is due to the antiquated notion that film scanners are primarily for digitally archiving important, old negatives. For those of us continuing to shoot film on an ongoing basis, a faster, more streamlined workflow would be nothing but a boon. In 2012, we are the ones more likely to be buying film scanners, so it's a wonder to me the feature is not more widely available.

Old 02-21-2012   #80
Harry Lime
Practitioner

Scanning negs at that the volume would put a lot of wear on the stepper motors and transport system. A more rugged design would drive up the cost.

The ability to scan an entire roll of 135 has always involved the need for some sort of add-on feeder (see Nikon Coolscan). I am not aware of a consumer grade neg scanner that could scan an entire roll straight out of the box. As far as I know there has never been a 120 roll feeder for any of the major consumer scanners. It's just not a feature that the vast majority of shooters have needed... I have heard of some people picking up used bulk scanners from Fuji or Kodak, intended for minilab use.

Here's an idea for quickly examining negs. Place them against a light source and examine them with a small webcam or video camera, that has the feed set to invert...