Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Scanners / Scanner Software

Old 01-03-2012   #26
Jamie123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockos View Post
Personally I think you're to late for that segment as the PI/Reflecta is already out, and appears to be working just fine. Unless you're planning to release a MF scanner with significantly higher resolution/dMax.

What I think the market want/need, is a non-flatbed MF scanner at a reasonable price.
I think it's hard to argue that they're ''too late''. We're not talking iPhones here. I don't think anyone was queing for hours to be the first to get the Reflecta scanner. It's also not like their product is a novelty. Good scanners have been around for decades. Whether or not the Plustek sells will depend entirely on how well it performs and/or how it is priced in relation to the Reflecta.

Also, obviously every potential buyer would like this to be dirt cheap and perform like a Flextight X5. But that's just not going to happen. The market for film scanners is still somewhat limted so even if they priced it low they probably wouldn't make up for it in volume.

Old 01-03-2012   #27
mdruziak

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
Plustek's small format scanners are not better or cheaper than Reflecta's (the only other manufaturer). Both are producing scanners that are not better (I'd say they are inferior, but that is just my opinion) than scanners that are now 10 years old.

Two manufacturers that produce scanners that are so close in price and capabilities 10 years after 'big boys' left the market, IMHO means that not much R&D goes into this and that both manufacturers use readily available parts (sensors, optics) that are cheap enough to meet the price.

So, I don't expect Plustek to build a much better MF scanner than Reflecta (optically). And I wouldn't expect it from Reflecta, if Plustek was the first to introduce it's MF scanner.

And yes, I REALLY hope that I'm wrong and it's certainly good news that Plustek is bringing it's MF scanner to market.
Good points! Thanks for the clarification.

I do know that there are some components of the new product that were chosen to meet quality requirements rather than pricing demands... up to a certain point that is! This isn't going to be a $12,000 scanner so component price must enter the equation.

Old 01-03-2012   #28
EdwardKaraa

I am currently using a Reflecta Pro Scan 7200 with a native resolution of 3600 dpi. The real resolution of the scamner as tested by filmscannerinfo is not too far off. I honestly am getting much better scans than with my previous Nikon L5000, perhaps not in resolution, which is quite similar, but in terms of color reproduction and accuracy. Eventhough Plustek scanners are generally producing much lower resolution than advertised, usually just about half, however, I do believe this new generation of cheaply built and priced scanners is better or at least equal to the better built previous generation from Nikon and Minolta.

Old 01-03-2012   #29
mdruziak

Is anyone here scanning for commercial purposes? For example: Running a service bureau or photo lab?

If so, please send me a PM.

Old 01-03-2012   #30
cabbiinc
Slightly Irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockos View Post
Personally I think you're to late for that segment as the PI/Reflecta is already out, and appears to be working just fine. Unless you're planning to release a MF scanner with significantly higher resolution/dMax.

What I think the market want/need, is a non-flatbed MF scanner at a reasonable price.
I disagree. With medium and even large format cameras being sold by old pros or retirees or... the prices have become increasingly affordable. On the other hand, the megapixel race is in full swing and if you're looking at the next latest and greatest a mf scanner for roughly the same price that delivers far more in pixel count and dynamic range with the nostalgia of film means some people will be willing to spend some money on this stuff. Some people don't see any problem at all spending $200 on a phone with a 2 year, $2k total commitment so they can just turn around in 2 years and buy the next model and be in fashion. A scanner will pay for itself if you shoot enough.

Old 01-03-2012   #31
mijosc

Just saw this: http://www.hometoys.com/news_detail.php?id=16742899

"...New products Plustek will introduce at CES include OpticFilm 120, a professional grade film and slide scanner that scans both 120 and 35mm film..."

No mention on Plustek's CES 2012 site though: http://plustek.com/usa/news/press-releases/18598.html

Old 01-04-2012   #32
mijosc

And this site actually has a picture!

http://www.geardiary.com/2012/01/04/...anners-at-ces/

Old 01-04-2012   #33
bwcolor

So, it must have auto-feed. No commercial scanning outfit would purchase a scanner that must be advanced by hand.

I don't use my 9000ED much because I'm unable to replace it. Of course, repairs and spare parts are available...for now. This new scanner looks promising. Even with the same resolution as the 7600, but improved DMax..it would be a winner.

Old 01-10-2012   #34
mijosc

Any word about this now that CES is here? I haven't seen anything new online other that different copies of the press release.

Old 01-11-2012   #35
mdruziak

I'm trying to learn when we start to see beta test samples from the product manager. Specs won't be released until the beta test units are ready to be delivered.

Old 01-11-2012   #36
EdwardKaraa

I am looking forward to this scanner and to seeing the scan samples. Most important for me is color accuracy, scanning speed and per pixel sharpness.

Old 01-11-2012   #37
anerjee

Mark,

Any comments on supplied software? Silverfast and/or Vuescan or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdruziak View Post
I'm trying to learn when we start to see beta test samples from the product manager. Specs won't be released until the beta test units are ready to be delivered.

Old 01-11-2012   #38
mdruziak

Anerjee, I can't release any specs until we make the formal announcement. Sorry. This is killing me as much as it is killing you guys!

Old 01-11-2012   #39
mijosc

So it wasn't "formally" announced at CES?

Old 01-11-2012   #40
NLewis

I think the dealmaker for a 135 or 120 scanner going forward is not IQ, but rather the ability to scan a whole uncut roll of film automatically. It doesn't seem like this would be too difficult to implement.

IQ for Plustek's 7600-series products seems pretty good, comparable to Nikon for 1/5th the price. My impression is that for marginally better scans, the cost factor goes WAY up to Imacon levels. I'd say that, for those few frames that you want to print big, it makes more sense to send it out for best quality scans. This might be a dozen frames a year.

Old 01-11-2012   #41
cabbiinc
Slightly Irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLewis View Post
I think the dealmaker for a 135 or 120 scanner going forward is not IQ, but rather the ability to scan a whole uncut roll of film automatically.
I doubt that there's that big of a demand for that. The deal maker is speed of the entire scanning process of all of the formats involved.

Old 01-11-2012   #42
Matus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbiinc View Post
I doubt that there's that big of a demand for that. The deal maker is speed of the entire scanning process of all of the formats involved.
I would say that coolscan 5000 and 9000 are a good gauge to compare to if one has in mind the usage by a lab. In 35mm a scan of uncut roll was provided for, but it seems that it was not necessary for 120.
... per camera: Olympus XA , Jupiter J3 , Rolleiflex T, Mamiya 6, Ricoh GRDIII shots

Old 01-11-2012   #43
bwcolor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdruziak View Post
Anerjee, I can't release any specs until we make the formal announcement. Sorry. This is killing me as much as it is killing you guys!
OK, enough with the excuses... Put on your Tux, do the car show thing and hire some good looking female models and get on with it.

Look forward to what you have to say.

Old 02-04-2012   #44
mijosc

This link was tweeted by @PlustekScanners on Feb. 1: http://t.co/5MIfDCFH

If you don't read German (I don't), you can use Google Translate.

Highlights include:
* Low noise CCD sensor
* 10660 dpi!
* Multi-Exposure and iSRD
* Includes Silverfast Ai Studio IT8
* Date and costs are not yet determined.

Old 02-04-2012   #45
Matus

Well - let's see. Apart form the scanning resolution (a joke, right?) it all sounds good. Curios about the price and performance - but I guess we have to wait a little longer.

Mark - please keep us informed.
... per camera: Olympus XA , Jupiter J3 , Rolleiflex T, Mamiya 6, Ricoh GRDIII shots

Old 02-04-2012   #46
morback
Martin N. Hinze

Quote:
Laut Hersteller soll eine aus acht Schichten bestehende Speziallinse die hohe digitale Auflösung von 10.660 dpi voll ausnutzen und damit feinste Details in den Vorlagen auch im digitalen Abbild sichtbar werden lassen.
Hmm, they say it uses a 8 layer lens to achieve this high resolution with low noise. Will be presented at the next CeBit. I believe that's a German tech show.

I'm very curious to see if it'll be better than my Nikon 9000ED...

My Flickr
The Great Picnic

Old 02-04-2012   #47
gavinlg

Can't wait to see some solid figures/specs for this - it's a gorgeous looking unit!

Old 02-06-2012   #48
mdruziak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcolor View Post
OK, enough with the excuses... Put on your Tux, do the car show thing and hire some good looking female models and get on with it.

Look forward to what you have to say.
Searching for models as we speak.

Old 02-06-2012   #49
mdruziak

Last week I met with our CTO. The product direction was changed about a year ago based on customer feedback and feedback from members this forum and a few others.

One thing you will notice if you see some of the older photos of this scanner (see Plustek's Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pluste...69691449783876) is the new design features a completely different loading strategy than the original design. Yes an autofeeder.

The CTO was clear that he has very high design goals for this scanner. There was a lot of emphasis on image quality, lens and sensor design. Unfortunately, the sensor we were going to use was recently discontinued after a large photographic company sold off its sensor division. A suitable replacement was found but the delay cost us about 5 months. I'm not sure about the resolution stated in the CeBIT press release, but my colleagues in Germany are usually quite accurate!

Keep watching our Twitter, Google + and Facebook pages. I'll be posting info as I get it.

Old 02-06-2012   #50
useless generation

Great news can't wait

Leica M6 Millennium + Leica M3 SS + Leica 50mm Summicron V4 + Voigtlander Nokton 35mm 1.4SC