Any news on the new Plustek 120 scanner?
Old 01-02-2012   #1
Harry Lime
Practitioner
 
Harry Lime's Avatar
 
Harry Lime is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Here and there
Posts: 1,627
Any news on the new Plustek 120 scanner?

Any news? Anyone? Bueller?
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2012   #2
bwcolor
Registered User
 
bwcolor is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Posts: 2,358
Any specs, or feature set available for release?

Is this a 9000ED replacement, or a larger format 7600?
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2012   #3
Matus
Registered User
 
Matus's Avatar
 
Matus is offline
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Frankfurt, DE
Posts: 1,843
I hope it will be a robust and well made machine rather than a cheap one. Otherwise there will soon be no decent low priced scans for 120 films soon (I can get scans at a lab made with the 9000 for about 1 Euro per 6x6 image and the quality is incomparable to flatbed scanners). We really need a good quality replacement for the 9000 even if the price will not allow each 120 shooter to get one. Of course - automatic film transport is a must if this scanner should be used by labs.

I am indeed curios ...
__________________
________
Matus
... Flickr galleries: New Zealand , Spain
... per camera: Olympus XA , Jupiter J3 , Rolleiflex T, Mamiya 6, Ricoh GRDIII shots
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2012   #4
stompyq
Registered User
 
stompyq is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,156
^ Are the epson flatbeds that bad? I can imagine for 35mm but 120 film?
__________________
www.pramodhsphotos.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2012   #5
Photon42
burn the box
 
Photon42's Avatar
 
Photon42 is offline
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 565
Is it going to be like this one?
__________________
My Gallery
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2012   #6
benlees
Registered User
 
benlees is offline
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Age: 44
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by stompyq View Post
^ Are the epson flatbeds that bad? I can imagine for 35mm but 120 film?

The Epsons are quite good. For versatility. From 35mm to 8x10- can't go wrong. I've had mine for years and it doesn't miss a beat but I don't use it for prints.
__________________
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2012   #7
mdruziak
Registered User
 
mdruziak is offline
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon42 View Post
Is it going to be like this one?

Nope. That is a Pacific Image scanner.
__________________
________________________________________
My Photo A Day Blog
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2012   #8
mdruziak
Registered User
 
mdruziak is offline
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalintrigue View Post
March product launch, no price yet...
Hey... How did you find that out?
__________________
________________________________________
My Photo A Day Blog
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2012   #9
mdruziak
Registered User
 
mdruziak is offline
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matus View Post
I hope it will be a robust and well made machine rather than a cheap one. Otherwise there will soon be no decent low priced scans for 120 films soon (I can get scans at a lab made with the 9000 for about 1 Euro per 6x6 image and the quality is incomparable to flatbed scanners). We really need a good quality replacement for the 9000 even if the price will not allow each 120 shooter to get one. Of course - automatic film transport is a must if this scanner should be used by labs.

I am indeed curios ...
Here is what I can tell you at this point:

A lot of the input from members of this forum and the Leica form was taken into consideration by our product management team during the final stages of development. The product manager for the scanner is an avid photographer... FILM photographer that is. So I'm confident that the product is in good hands.

It is a scanner that is targeted to the pro and serious amateur. It is not a scanner targeted to the casual photographer. Cheap it won't be!

Stay tuned for more info!
__________________
________________________________________
My Photo A Day Blog
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2012   #10
JeffL
Registered User
 
JeffL is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 230
Mark, It's nice to have you contributing.
A quality medium format scanner on the market will be a good thing for us film shooters (and I hope for Plustek). I, like others, have a Nikon 8000 and cross my fingers every time I start it.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2012   #11
gavinlg
Registered User
 
gavinlg's Avatar
 
gavinlg is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Melbourne VIC
Posts: 4,822
I'm holding out on buying a scanner till I see this one...
__________________
http://nopraise.tumblr.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2012   #12
J. Borger
Registered User
 
J. Borger is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdruziak View Post
Here is what I can tell you at this point:

A lot of the input from members of this forum and the Leica form was taken into consideration by our product management team during the final stages of development. The product manager for the scanner is an avid photographer... FILM photographer that is. So I'm confident that the product is in good hands.

It is a scanner that is targeted to the pro and serious amateur. It is not a scanner targeted to the casual photographer. Cheap it won't be!

Stay tuned for more info!
Sounds very promising!
__________________
my website
my RFF gallery
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2012   #13
Jani_from_Finland
Registered User
 
Jani_from_Finland is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 321
Any idea on what the pricerange will be ( 500-1000-1500-2000 $ / / ) and will it be released in Europe also after the US release?
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2012   #14
Matus
Registered User
 
Matus's Avatar
 
Matus is offline
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Frankfurt, DE
Posts: 1,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jani_from_Finland View Post
Any idea on what the pricerange will be ( 500-1000-1500-2000 $ / / ) and will it be released in Europe also after the US release?
I am sure Mark can not answer the first part of your question, but I do hope that Plustek will take the European market seriously (sellers/service centers)

Mark - we are looking forward.
__________________
________
Matus
... Flickr galleries: New Zealand , Spain
... per camera: Olympus XA , Jupiter J3 , Rolleiflex T, Mamiya 6, Ricoh GRDIII shots
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2012   #15
Jockos
Registered User
 
Jockos's Avatar
 
Jockos is offline
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sweden
Age: 28
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdruziak View Post
It is a scanner that is targeted to the pro and serious amateur. It is not a scanner targeted to the casual photographer. Cheap it won't be!
Personally I think you're to late for that segment as the PI/Reflecta is already out, and appears to be working just fine. Unless you're planning to release a MF scanner with significantly higher resolution/dMax.

What I think the market want/need, is a non-flatbed MF scanner at a reasonable price.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2012   #16
thegman
Registered User
 
thegman is offline
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 36
Posts: 3,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by stompyq View Post
^ Are the epson flatbeds that bad? I can imagine for 35mm but 120 film?
Personally, I think if the V700 with 6x6 film is not good enough for you, then a full-frame professional DSLR won't be either. You've got to get the right kit though, the BetterScanning kit transforms the quality in my opinion. And whilst I've never used a Nikon 9000, and I'm sure it's great, some examples on the net don't seem too much different to a V700 used correctly.

Also, I think scanning at 6400dpi and downsampling to 3200dpi can make a difference. There is certainly a knack to it.
__________________
My Blog
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2012   #17
mdruziak
Registered User
 
mdruziak is offline
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jani_from_Finland View Post
Any idea on what the pricerange will be ( 500-1000-1500-2000 $ / € / ) and will it be released in Europe also after the US release?
Pricing has not been set (at least in the US) but it will probably be similar to the Pacific Image and Reflecta. I'm not sure if the US or Europe will launch the scanner first.

Also, we DO NOT have a launch date set. So my comment "Hey who told you..." Should have been "How come YOU know and I don't?" Because at this point I just don't exactly know when the scanners will be available.
__________________
________________________________________
My Photo A Day Blog
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2012   #18
mdruziak
Registered User
 
mdruziak is offline
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matus View Post
I am sure Mark can not answer the first part of your question, but I do hope that Plustek will take the European market seriously (sellers/service centers)

Mark - we are looking forward.
While I am not directly involved with the European market, I know that Plustek Europe takes the film scanner market VERY seriously.
__________________
________________________________________
My Photo A Day Blog
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2012   #19
mdruziak
Registered User
 
mdruziak is offline
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockos View Post
Personally I think you're to late for that segment as the PI/Reflecta is already out, and appears to be working just fine. Unless you're planning to release a MF scanner with significantly higher resolution/dMax.

What I think the market want/need, is a non-flatbed MF scanner at a reasonable price.
Can anyone point me to some tests or images of the Pacific Image/Reflecta? There are some reviews on the B&H site, but some of the reviews are a little suspect.
__________________
________________________________________
My Photo A Day Blog
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2012   #20
brbo
Registered User
 
brbo's Avatar
 
brbo is online now
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 752
It's been posted on RFF before. Reflecta MF5000 test (german):

http://www.filmscanner.info/ReflectaMF5000.html

In short, a 'Nikon Coolscan 9000 killer' it is not. Fast, 3000dpi effective resolution, manual transport.


I'll bet many $$$ that Plustek will be VERY similar to Reflecta MF5000 (it's the same with Reflecta vs Plustek small format scanners).
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2012   #21
EdwardKaraa
Registered User
 
EdwardKaraa's Avatar
 
EdwardKaraa is offline
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangkok
Age: 47
Posts: 701
http://www.filmscanner.info/ReflectaMF5000.html
__________________
M240 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/1.5 50/2 85/2
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2012   #22
mdruziak
Registered User
 
mdruziak is offline
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
It's been posted on RFF before. Reflecta MF5000 test (german):

http://www.filmscanner.info/ReflectaMF5000.html

In short, a 'Nikon Coolscan 9000 killer' it is not. Fast, 3000dpi effective resolution, manual transport.


I'll bet many $$$ that Plustek will be VERY similar to Reflecta MF5000 (it's the same with Reflecta vs Plustek small format scanners).
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Plustek doesn't relabel other manufacturers scanners. On the other hand, we do manufacture scanners for other vendors.
__________________
________________________________________
My Photo A Day Blog
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2012   #23
bigeye
Registered User
 
bigeye's Avatar
 
bigeye is offline
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 1,185
I would imagine that asian markets would be the among the most important. MF film appears to be very strong there.

It's great to hear that a new scanner is coming to market. Definitely watching.
.
__________________
I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it. - Steven Wright
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2012   #24
JRG
Registered User
 
JRG is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 393
I'll join the chorus: I'm very glad to hear that Plustek intends to launch a new MF scanner. That's excellent news, and I'm anxious to learn more. Well done, Plustek!
__________________
Cat herder by trade, now partly retired
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2012   #25
brbo
Registered User
 
brbo's Avatar
 
brbo is online now
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdruziak View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Plustek doesn't relabel other manufacturers scanners. On the other hand, we do manufacture scanners for other vendors.
Plustek's small format scanners are not better or cheaper than Reflecta's (the only other manufaturer). Both are producing scanners that are not better (I'd say they are inferior, but that is just my opinion) than scanners that are now 10 years old.

Two manufacturers that produce scanners that are so close in price and capabilities 10 years after 'big boys' left the market, IMHO means that not much R&D goes into this and that both manufacturers use readily available parts (sensors, optics) that are cheap enough to meet the price.

So, I don't expect Plustek to build a much better MF scanner than Reflecta (optically). And I wouldn't expect it from Reflecta, if Plustek was the first to introduce it's MF scanner.

And yes, I REALLY hope that I'm wrong and it's certainly good news that Plustek is bringing it's MF scanner to market.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2012   #26
Jamie123
Registered User
 
Jamie123 is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockos View Post
Personally I think you're to late for that segment as the PI/Reflecta is already out, and appears to be working just fine. Unless you're planning to release a MF scanner with significantly higher resolution/dMax.

What I think the market want/need, is a non-flatbed MF scanner at a reasonable price.
I think it's hard to argue that they're ''too late''. We're not talking iPhones here. I don't think anyone was queing for hours to be the first to get the Reflecta scanner. It's also not like their product is a novelty. Good scanners have been around for decades. Whether or not the Plustek sells will depend entirely on how well it performs and/or how it is priced in relation to the Reflecta.

Also, obviously every potential buyer would like this to be dirt cheap and perform like a Flextight X5. But that's just not going to happen. The market for film scanners is still somewhat limted so even if they priced it low they probably wouldn't make up for it in volume.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2012   #27
mdruziak
Registered User
 
mdruziak is offline
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
Plustek's small format scanners are not better or cheaper than Reflecta's (the only other manufaturer). Both are producing scanners that are not better (I'd say they are inferior, but that is just my opinion) than scanners that are now 10 years old.

Two manufacturers that produce scanners that are so close in price and capabilities 10 years after 'big boys' left the market, IMHO means that not much R&D goes into this and that both manufacturers use readily available parts (sensors, optics) that are cheap enough to meet the price.

So, I don't expect Plustek to build a much better MF scanner than Reflecta (optically). And I wouldn't expect it from Reflecta, if Plustek was the first to introduce it's MF scanner.

And yes, I REALLY hope that I'm wrong and it's certainly good news that Plustek is bringing it's MF scanner to market.
Good points! Thanks for the clarification.

I do know that there are some components of the new product that were chosen to meet quality requirements rather than pricing demands... up to a certain point that is! This isn't going to be a $12,000 scanner so component price must enter the equation.
__________________
________________________________________
My Photo A Day Blog
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2012   #28
EdwardKaraa
Registered User
 
EdwardKaraa's Avatar
 
EdwardKaraa is offline
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangkok
Age: 47
Posts: 701
I am currently using a Reflecta Pro Scan 7200 with a native resolution of 3600 dpi. The real resolution of the scamner as tested by filmscannerinfo is not too far off. I honestly am getting much better scans than with my previous Nikon L5000, perhaps not in resolution, which is quite similar, but in terms of color reproduction and accuracy. Eventhough Plustek scanners are generally producing much lower resolution than advertised, usually just about half, however, I do believe this new generation of cheaply built and priced scanners is better or at least equal to the better built previous generation from Nikon and Minolta.
__________________
M240 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/1.5 50/2 85/2
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2012   #29
mdruziak
Registered User
 
mdruziak is offline
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 167
Is anyone here scanning for commercial purposes? For example: Running a service bureau or photo lab?

If so, please send me a PM.
__________________
________________________________________
My Photo A Day Blog
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2012   #30
cabbiinc
Slightly Irregular
 
cabbiinc is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Western Washington
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockos View Post
Personally I think you're to late for that segment as the PI/Reflecta is already out, and appears to be working just fine. Unless you're planning to release a MF scanner with significantly higher resolution/dMax.

What I think the market want/need, is a non-flatbed MF scanner at a reasonable price.
I disagree. With medium and even large format cameras being sold by old pros or retirees or... the prices have become increasingly affordable. On the other hand, the megapixel race is in full swing and if you're looking at the next latest and greatest a mf scanner for roughly the same price that delivers far more in pixel count and dynamic range with the nostalgia of film means some people will be willing to spend some money on this stuff. Some people don't see any problem at all spending $200 on a phone with a 2 year, $2k total commitment so they can just turn around in 2 years and buy the next model and be in fashion. A scanner will pay for itself if you shoot enough.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2012   #31
mijosc
Registered User
 
mijosc's Avatar
 
mijosc is offline
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 80
Just saw this: http://www.hometoys.com/news_detail.php?id=16742899

"...New products Plustek will introduce at CES include OpticFilm 120, a professional grade film and slide scanner that scans both 120 and 35mm film..."

No mention on Plustek's CES 2012 site though: http://plustek.com/usa/news/press-releases/18598.html
__________________
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjschomer/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2012   #32
mijosc
Registered User
 
mijosc's Avatar
 
mijosc is offline
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 80
And this site actually has a picture!

http://www.geardiary.com/2012/01/04/...anners-at-ces/
__________________
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjschomer/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2012   #33
bwcolor
Registered User
 
bwcolor is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Posts: 2,358
So, it must have auto-feed. No commercial scanning outfit would purchase a scanner that must be advanced by hand.

I don't use my 9000ED much because I'm unable to replace it. Of course, repairs and spare parts are available...for now. This new scanner looks promising. Even with the same resolution as the 7600, but improved DMax..it would be a winner.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2012   #34
mijosc
Registered User
 
mijosc's Avatar
 
mijosc is offline
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 80
Any word about this now that CES is here? I haven't seen anything new online other that different copies of the press release.
__________________
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjschomer/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2012   #35
mdruziak
Registered User
 
mdruziak is offline
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 167
I'm trying to learn when we start to see beta test samples from the product manager. Specs won't be released until the beta test units are ready to be delivered.
__________________
________________________________________
My Photo A Day Blog
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2012   #36
EdwardKaraa
Registered User
 
EdwardKaraa's Avatar
 
EdwardKaraa is offline
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangkok
Age: 47
Posts: 701
I am looking forward to this scanner and to seeing the scan samples. Most important for me is color accuracy, scanning speed and per pixel sharpness.
__________________
M240 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/1.5 50/2 85/2
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2012   #37
anerjee
Registered User
 
anerjee is offline
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 240
Mark,

Any comments on supplied software? Silverfast and/or Vuescan or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdruziak View Post
I'm trying to learn when we start to see beta test samples from the product manager. Specs won't be released until the beta test units are ready to be delivered.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2012   #38
mdruziak
Registered User
 
mdruziak is offline
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 167
Anerjee, I can't release any specs until we make the formal announcement. Sorry. This is killing me as much as it is killing you guys!
__________________
________________________________________
My Photo A Day Blog
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2012   #39
mijosc
Registered User
 
mijosc's Avatar
 
mijosc is offline
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 80
So it wasn't "formally" announced at CES?
__________________
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjschomer/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2012   #40
NLewis
Registered User
 
NLewis is offline
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 185
I think the dealmaker for a 135 or 120 scanner going forward is not IQ, but rather the ability to scan a whole uncut roll of film automatically. It doesn't seem like this would be too difficult to implement.

IQ for Plustek's 7600-series products seems pretty good, comparable to Nikon for 1/5th the price. My impression is that for marginally better scans, the cost factor goes WAY up to Imacon levels. I'd say that, for those few frames that you want to print big, it makes more sense to send it out for best quality scans. This might be a dozen frames a year.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:58.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.