Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Scanners / Scanner Software

Any news on the new Plustek 120 scanner?
Old 01-02-2012   #1
Harry Lime
Practitioner

Any news on the new Plustek 120 scanner?

Any news? Anyone? Bueller?

Old 01-02-2012   #2
bwcolor

Any specs, or feature set available for release?

Is this a 9000ED replacement, or a larger format 7600?

Old 01-02-2012   #3
Matus

I hope it will be a robust and well made machine rather than a cheap one. Otherwise there will soon be no decent low priced scans for 120 films soon (I can get scans at a lab made with the 9000 for about 1 Euro per 6x6 image and the quality is incomparable to flatbed scanners). We really need a good quality replacement for the 9000 even if the price will not allow each 120 shooter to get one. Of course - automatic film transport is a must if this scanner should be used by labs.

I am indeed curios ...
... per camera: Olympus XA , Jupiter J3 , Rolleiflex T, Mamiya 6, Ricoh GRDIII shots

Old 01-02-2012   #4
stompyq

^ Are the epson flatbeds that bad? I can imagine for 35mm but 120 film?

Old 01-02-2012   #5
Photon42
burn the box

Is it going to be like this one?

Old 01-02-2012   #6
benlees

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompyq View Post

The Epsons are quite good. For versatility. From 35mm to 8x10- can't go wrong. I've had mine for years and it doesn't miss a beat but I don't use it for prints.

Old 01-02-2012   #7
mdruziak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon42 View Post
Is it going to be like this one?

Nope. That is a Pacific Image scanner.

Old 01-02-2012   #8
mdruziak

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalintrigue View Post
March product launch, no price yet...
Hey... How did you find that out?

Old 01-02-2012   #9
mdruziak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matus View Post
I hope it will be a robust and well made machine rather than a cheap one. Otherwise there will soon be no decent low priced scans for 120 films soon (I can get scans at a lab made with the 9000 for about 1 Euro per 6x6 image and the quality is incomparable to flatbed scanners). We really need a good quality replacement for the 9000 even if the price will not allow each 120 shooter to get one. Of course - automatic film transport is a must if this scanner should be used by labs.

I am indeed curios ...
Here is what I can tell you at this point:

A lot of the input from members of this forum and the Leica form was taken into consideration by our product management team during the final stages of development. The product manager for the scanner is an avid photographer... FILM photographer that is. So I'm confident that the product is in good hands.

It is a scanner that is targeted to the pro and serious amateur. It is not a scanner targeted to the casual photographer. Cheap it won't be!

Stay tuned for more info!

Old 01-02-2012   #10
JeffL

Mark, It's nice to have you contributing.
A quality medium format scanner on the market will be a good thing for us film shooters (and I hope for Plustek). I, like others, have a Nikon 8000 and cross my fingers every time I start it.

Old 01-02-2012   #11
gavinlg

I'm holding out on buying a scanner till I see this one...

Old 01-02-2012   #12
J. Borger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdruziak View Post
Here is what I can tell you at this point:

A lot of the input from members of this forum and the Leica form was taken into consideration by our product management team during the final stages of development. The product manager for the scanner is an avid photographer... FILM photographer that is. So I'm confident that the product is in good hands.

It is a scanner that is targeted to the pro and serious amateur. It is not a scanner targeted to the casual photographer. Cheap it won't be!

Stay tuned for more info!
Sounds very promising!

Old 01-02-2012   #13
Jani_from_Finland

Any idea on what the pricerange will be ( 500-1000-1500-2000 $ / / ) and will it be released in Europe also after the US release?

Old 01-02-2012   #14
Matus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jani_from_Finland View Post
Any idea on what the pricerange will be ( 500-1000-1500-2000 $ / / ) and will it be released in Europe also after the US release?
I am sure Mark can not answer the first part of your question, but I do hope that Plustek will take the European market seriously (sellers/service centers)

Mark - we are looking forward.
... per camera: Olympus XA , Jupiter J3 , Rolleiflex T, Mamiya 6, Ricoh GRDIII shots

Old 01-03-2012   #15
Jockos

Quote:
Personally I think you're to late for that segment as the PI/Reflecta is already out, and appears to be working just fine. Unless you're planning to release a MF scanner with significantly higher resolution/dMax.

What I think the market want/need, is a non-flatbed MF scanner at a reasonable price.

Old 01-03-2012   #16
thegman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompyq View Post
Personally, I think if the V700 with 6x6 film is not good enough for you, then a full-frame professional DSLR won't be either. You've got to get the right kit though, the BetterScanning kit transforms the quality in my opinion. And whilst I've never used a Nikon 9000, and I'm sure it's great, some examples on the net don't seem too much different to a V700 used correctly.

Also, I think scanning at 6400dpi and downsampling to 3200dpi can make a difference. There is certainly a knack to it.

Old 01-03-2012   #17
mdruziak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jani_from_Finland View Post
Any idea on what the pricerange will be ( 500-1000-1500-2000 $ / € / ) and will it be released in Europe also after the US release?
Pricing has not been set (at least in the US) but it will probably be similar to the Pacific Image and Reflecta. I'm not sure if the US or Europe will launch the scanner first.

Also, we DO NOT have a launch date set. So my comment "Hey who told you..." Should have been "How come YOU know and I don't?" Because at this point I just don't exactly know when the scanners will be available.

Old 01-03-2012   #18
mdruziak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matus View Post
I am sure Mark can not answer the first part of your question, but I do hope that Plustek will take the European market seriously (sellers/service centers)

Mark - we are looking forward.
While I am not directly involved with the European market, I know that Plustek Europe takes the film scanner market VERY seriously.

Old 01-03-2012   #19
mdruziak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockos View Post
Personally I think you're to late for that segment as the PI/Reflecta is already out, and appears to be working just fine. Unless you're planning to release a MF scanner with significantly higher resolution/dMax.

What I think the market want/need, is a non-flatbed MF scanner at a reasonable price.
Can anyone point me to some tests or images of the Pacific Image/Reflecta? There are some reviews on the B&H site, but some of the reviews are a little suspect.

Old 01-03-2012   #20
brbo

It's been posted on RFF before. Reflecta MF5000 test (german):

http://www.filmscanner.info/ReflectaMF5000.html

In short, a 'Nikon Coolscan 9000 killer' it is not. Fast, 3000dpi effective resolution, manual transport.

I'll bet many $$$ that Plustek will be VERY similar to Reflecta MF5000 (it's the same with Reflecta vs Plustek small format scanners).

Old 01-03-2012   #21
EdwardKaraa

Old 01-03-2012   #22
mdruziak

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
It's been posted on RFF before. Reflecta MF5000 test (german):

In short, a 'Nikon Coolscan 9000 killer' it is not. Fast, 3000dpi effective resolution, manual transport.

I'll bet many $$$ that Plustek will be VERY similar to Reflecta MF5000 (it's the same with Reflecta vs Plustek small format scanners).
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Plustek doesn't relabel other manufacturers scanners. On the other hand, we do manufacture scanners for other vendors.

Old 01-03-2012   #23
bigeye

I would imagine that asian markets would be the among the most important. MF film appears to be very strong there.

It's great to hear that a new scanner is coming to market. Definitely watching.

Old 01-03-2012   #24
JRG

I'll join the chorus: I'm very glad to hear that Plustek intends to launch a new MF scanner. That's excellent news, and I'm anxious to learn more. Well done, Plustek!

Old 01-03-2012   #25
brbo

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Plustek doesn't relabel other manufacturers scanners. On the other hand, we do manufacture scanners for other vendors.
Plustek's small format scanners are not better or cheaper than Reflecta's (the only other manufaturer). Both are producing scanners that are not better (I'd say they are inferior, but that is just my opinion) than scanners that are now 10 years old.

Two manufacturers that produce scanners that are so close in price and capabilities 10 years after 'big boys' left the market, IMHO means that not much R&D goes into this and that both manufacturers use readily available parts (sensors, optics) that are cheap enough to meet the price.

So, I don't expect Plustek to build a much better MF scanner than Reflecta (optically). And I wouldn't expect it from Reflecta, if Plustek was the first to introduce it's MF scanner.

And yes, I REALLY hope that I'm wrong and it's certainly good news that Plustek is bringing it's MF scanner to market.