Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Miscellaneous Topics and more > DIYS Forum

DIYS Forum DIYS aka Do It Yourself Projects - mostly gear modifications

Old 11-03-2011   #26
gzuiko

I'm impressed. So how did you happen to get your lens in and out of Henry Scherer's so quick? I thought he had a years long waiting list. My uncoated f1.5 is wonderful the way it is, but I wonder how nice it might be cleaned up inside.

Jim

Last edited by gzuiko : 11-03-2011 at 18:50.

Old 11-03-2011   #27
uhoh7

He does lenses fast--someone else had mentioned this, so I emailed him. I have to say he was very patient and answered numerous questions through the process. He won't click on links in emails , though

Now, you can see a touch of I'm not sure what in the shape of the damage above, but much closer to the edge, so I could not say it's like new: I'll put up some pics when I have a chance to get some clear shots.

Old 11-04-2011   #28
uhoh7

OK because some might consider such a lens repair here are some close pics.

now rotated a bit:

Below; it does seem the effected element is fully restored---compare to first shots way up there.

Blades are just short of wide open and the effected element or group is inboard of the aperture, i.e. bewteen the viewer and the blades visible in the upper half.
I have a few more but I think these tell the story.

I asked Henry:
On lens inspection I see just a slight half moon of light grey material in location where separation was before--covering much smaller area than original issue. This is only visible when I tilt the lens. This must be the space age stuff you talk about on your site

He replied:
"The grey material you see when you tilt the lens is actually lens edge blacking that is visible through the lens cement. The lens element surfaces are very highly curved and the lens cement is very transparent."

Anyway, tweety the cat likes it:

Last edited by uhoh7 : 11-04-2011 at 14:45.

Old 11-04-2011   #29
Brian Sweeney

I would not worry about it- but it is not a reflection of the lens blacking.

Maybe the glass ever so slightly discolored with the balsam.

It is not going to have any affect.

Old 11-06-2011   #30
uhoh7

TY Brian
here two more samples from APS-C without PP from Raw. WB auto.

focus could be better but shown for color rendition and bokeh

overcast conditions

pull the blacks and i feel like I'm back in 1967

Old 11-13-2011   #31
gzuiko

A few more from my "dog" lens. (uncoated f1.5 5cm Sonnar)

Old 01-02-2012   #32
dsymes

This is one of those questions that I suspect Brian would have had a very good answer for, but I'm hoping other "regulars" can chip in with suggestions.

I have a 5cm f/1.5 CJZ sonnar, SN 267xxxx, which I'm taking apart in order to clean oli off the aperture blades, clean, and also to blacken the outside or the front triplet. The front retaining ring came off quite easily, but the one holding the triplet is not moving even with a significant amount of force. I don't want to mar the slots, so was thinking that a small amount of lubricant (kerosene? napetha? WD40?) applied with a toothpick might reduce the friction required to remove it, but I'm a little leary of using WD40. Any suggestions?

The lens is in very good shape but does have some very fine cleaning marks on both the front and rear elements. Were the coatings on these early "T" sonnars softer than post-war coatings?

Thanks,
dsymes