Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Coffee With Mentors > Tom Abrahamsson of RapidWinder.com

Tom Abrahamsson of RapidWinder.com It is almost never that an inventor improves on a Leica product so that it is better than the original Leica product. Tom holds that distinction with his RapidWinder for Leica M rangefinders -- a bottom mounting baseplate trigger advance. In addition Tom manufacturers other Leica accessories such as his very popular Soft Release and MiniSoftRelease shutter releases. Tom is well known as one of the true Leica rangefinder experts, even by Leica. IMPORTANT READ THIS: CWE Forum hosts have moderation powers within their forum. Please observe copyright laws by not copying and posting their material elsewhere without permission.

Carry it like you mean it
Old 12-27-2011   #1
dave lackey

Smile Carry it like you mean it

Tom A has convinced me to carry it like I mean it! In other words, carry the camera around the neck!

Why am I just now getting around to this? I don't know if it was the uncomfortable strap/weight on my neck; aversion to being labelled something; or if it was the Nikon 1 I checked out at Target during Christmas shopping.

Yeah, that's it. the Nikon 1 with a commercial showing a small, slim digital camera that you put into your inside jacket chest pocket... complete with a lump of a lens that does NOT fit inside your jacket pocket. I would hate to see it in a pant pocket.

So, back to fulll-frame cameras like SLRs and RFs (digital/film). I am using the Leica R4 with a motor winder now and it is so cool to wear that thing where people actually SEE it. Then, when I switch to the M3, it is even cooler as it weighs much less and is available to shoot immediately rather than having to bring it from a shoulder hanging position.

Do I look like a photographer? Who cares...at least people are given a subliminal advance warning that pictures will be taken at some point. I think that is very important. Occasionally, I have two cameras worn across my shoulder bandolero style. Or even one but I haven't a good strap for that yet.

So, thanks to Tom A and a few others (like Thorsten Overgaard) who wear their cameras proudly around their neck... I am a convert.

Dave

Old 12-27-2011   #2
Pancake

I wore my camera round my neck the other day whilst Xmas shopping, I felt like an old school reporter light was rubbish anyway so I just had an expensive necklace on I flit between neck and hand straps, can never make my mind up which is better

Old 12-27-2011   #3
jsrockit

I'm an around-the-neck guy. I like having my hands free (when not photographing) and don't care if people notice my camera.

Old 12-27-2011   #4
Roger Hicks

Dear Dave,

Well.... I never stopped carrying mine around my neck!

Cheers,

R.

Old 12-27-2011   #5
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
Sorry Dave, but I don't understand at all the point you are trying to make.
How is carrying a camera around one's neck more "meaningful" or whatever, than carrying it off a shoulder, on a wrist strap, bandolier style or simply held in a hand?
Sorry, but this "carry it like you mean it" sounds pretty frivolous, and pointless to me.

Old 12-27-2011   #6
Vincent.G
平和、愛、喜び

Dear Dave

I wear my camera around my neck too! It is easier to use and does not get bumped accidentally that easily. I had people bumped into me and almost caused the camera strap to slip off my shoulders.

Old 12-27-2011   #7
muser53
MUSER53

There's a (good) reason those things are called neck straps!

Old 12-27-2011   #8
rbsinto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent.G View Post
Dear Dave

I wear my camera around my neck too! It is easier to use and does not get bumped accidentally that easily. I had people bumped into me and almost caused the camera strap to slip off my shoulders.
For a number of years now I have been promoting the idea of velcro strips on camera straps and matching strips on photo vest or jacket epaulettes, as a slip-proof method of keeping a camera strap from slipping off a shoulder, and at the same time, keeping my hands free.
I've carried a motor-driven F2 with a 300 2.8 lens and mono pod (weighing about ten pounds) this way with no slippage problem at all. And if the camera is worn backwards, the lens rides across the back or buttocks and is protected from being bumped as one walks.

Old 12-27-2011   #9
newsgrunt

Rarely carry around the neck and only if I'm using two bodies and a camera bag, otherwise it's neck strap wrapped around my wrist and carried in hand if I'm trawling for photos. If not being used, in the bag it goes.

Old 12-27-2011   #10
Shade

I wear my Leica over the should usually. The m9 plus the noctilux isn't very easy on my neck.. The shoulder feels much better on that setup..

Old 12-27-2011   #11
Phantomas

Cool story bro.

Old 12-27-2011   #12
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsinto View Post
For a number of years now I have been promoting the idea of velcro strips on camera straps and matching strips on photo vest or jacket epaulettes, as a slip-proof method of keeping a camera strap from slipping off a shoulder, and at the same time, keeping my hands free.
I've carried a motor-driven F2 with a 300 2.8 lens and mono pod (weighing about ten pounds) this way with no slippage problem at all. And if the camera is worn backwards, the lens rides across the back or buttocks and is protected from being bumped as one walks.
Everyone is different. I find wearing a suit jacket and a camera works best when the camera is around my neck. When wearing a jacket in the rain the camera is protected with the zipped jacket. When wearing a t-shirt, I will almost always wear it bandolier. Circumstances and preferences. Everybody is different. Not frivolous at all.

Dave

Old 12-27-2011   #13
PatrickCheung

I usually carry around my right shoulder, though ever since I've been using rangefinders the left side of the strap usually ends up covering the viewfinder when i pull it up to eye level. Ever since then, I've been carrying them around the neck... I should invest in a comfier strap

Hundred Strangers Project

Old 12-27-2011   #14
dave lackey

Yes, a comfortable strap. It seems that different cameras will do better with different straps. When doing weddings, a tux is not the easiest thing to carry a camera on the shoulder with, so, it is with circumstances. When shooting sports photography for many years, I dressed and carried the appropriately huge cameras/lenses and bags with me. Hung over the shoulders, cross the body, whatever.

But, now I don't do that anymore. I carry much smaller and lighter gear.

But comfort is a high priority for me. Not macho? Tough.

Dave

Old 12-27-2011   #15
Gumby

I'm at a loss as to how to interpret your parting message, Dave. "Macho" has little to do with carrying a camera IMO.

... but I've found the Tamrac N-17 to be that comfortable neck strap for both SLRs and RFs. The length adjusts and doesn't change, they have enough non-stick to keep from slipping, adn the quick release makes life easier when using a mono or tripod. The neoprene weren't very comfortable to me when walking since they bounce.

http://www.tamrac.com/g_camerastraps.htm

Old 12-27-2011   #16
rbsinto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
Everyone is different. I find wearing a suit jacket and a camera works best when the camera is around my neck. When wearing a jacket in the rain the camera is protected with the zipped jacket. When wearing a t-shirt, I will almost always wear it bandolier. Circumstances and preferences. Everybody is different. Not frivolous at all.
Dave,
With respect to circumstances and preferences, I agree with you completely. In identical circumstances many people will choose different ways of performing a given task.
My comment refers to your assertion that carrying a camera on a neck strap is more meaningful than carrying it some other way, which I do find to be frivolous.
anyway, I don't want to start a war with you on this, so let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Old 12-27-2011   #17
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsinto View Post
Dave,
With respect to circumstances and preferences, I agree with you completely. In identical circumstances many people will choose different ways of performing a given task.
My comment refers to your assertion that carrying a camera on a neck strap is more meaningful than carrying it some other way, which I do find to be frivolous.
anyway, I don't want to start a war with you on this, so let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that.
Disagree about what? My opinion? You have yours. So be it.

Dave

Old 12-27-2011   #18
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I'm at a loss as to how to interpret your parting message, Dave. "Macho" has little to do with carrying a camera IMO.

... but I've found the Tamrac N-17 to be that comfortable neck strap for both SLRs and RFs. The length adjusts and doesn't change, they have enough non-stick to keep from slipping, adn the quick release makes life easier when using a mono or tripod. The neoprene weren't very comfortable to me when walking since they bounce.

http://www.tamrac.com/g_camerastraps.htm
Ken Rockwell loves the Tamrac straps. Must look into them. The word macho was a jest...as in only real men put up with pain. Not me! I am a wimp.

Dave

Old 12-27-2011   #19
newspaperguy

Originally Posted by rbsinto

Years ago, I had buttons - of matching color, of course - sewn on the right-hand shoulder seam of my sports coats and suit jackets to help catch/secure the strap to my 2nd camera. My main user camera was around the neck with a neck-strap.

Seldom carry a back-up camera any more, so it's neck mostly - shoulder under jacket if discreet.

Preview my new children's book,

"The Little Crow Who Could Not CAW"

See the hardbound edition at Amazon.com,
it's perfect for your favorite 4-to-8 year old.

Last edited by newspaperguy : 12-27-2011 at 08:25. Reason: sp

Old 12-27-2011   #20
Gumby

Quote:
The word macho was a jest...as in only real men put up with pain. Not me! I am a wimp.
Understood. But I must admit to feeling quite macho when carrying a 4x5 speed graphic, especially when the 3-cell graflite is attached.

Old 12-27-2011   #21
goo0h

Sometimes I wear it around the neck, but tend to prefer to wear it across the chest. I like how it rests near my elbow for protection; if I'm wearing it under my long overcoat, it's not in people's face if I have no intention on using it; if at a party, I don't get food droppings all over the camera; and if I lean over, it doesn't bang into something. Currently just using the A&A adjustable strap extended all the way out. With some effort, I can drag the strap to bring the camera to my eye. It's not ideal, but generally works OK.

If I'm going to be using the camera more frequently, then yes, I'll generally move it around the neck again.

Sometimes I'll just carry it, but it depends on where I'm at, and how secure the environment seems. I don't think just carrying it, even if the strap is wrapped around the wrist, is terribly wise in some settings.....

Me on flickr.

Old 12-27-2011   #22
CK Dexter Haven

Quote:
Ken Rockwell loves the Tamrac straps. Must look into them. The word macho was a jest...as in only real men put up with pain. Not me! I am a wimp.
Oh my gosh! Really! Please - someone.... ANYONE... show me a photograph by Ken Rockwell that impresses you to such an extent that you want to emulate him in any way. Or, take gear advice from him. Down to the detail of strap preference. I've been struggling to understand this for years. You recognize his name. I get that. That makes him an expert?

OP: i wear mine on the right shoulder, across my chest. The strap is long enough to use the camera without taking the strap off my shoulder.

I wish i could just hang it around my neck, but the darned things always seem to bounce around as i walk. Clank-clank-clank on my chest. Why is it that no one else is similarly affected? Maybe i walk to fast. I certainly don't have any kind of strut in my gait....

Old 12-27-2011   #23
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

I usually carry two cameras - one in my shoulder bag and the other around my neck. The reason for the around the neck part is that over the years I have bashed up more lenses and cameras in car-doors, normal door frames and once had a shoulder carried camera get stuck in a revolving door!!!!!
It is a habit - and as most habits, difficult to break. A single rf camera with a moderately heavy lens is OK - sometimes heavy lenses can impart a bit off a "blood flow cut off" to the brain and you do stupid things - like buying different camera systems at swap-meets etc.
The other reason for having the camera "up front" is that you can glance down and check shutter speed settings, aperture etc quickly.
I also can grab the camera while driving and do "drive by shots" (generally dont work out though).
In my past I used to do multiprojector A-V shows (24 projectors - way before Power Point!). Then I used to carry 4 Nikon F2 or F3 with motordrives, one short strapped and one with longer strap on my chest and one on each shoulder. Inertia was a problem, the sheer weight of the stuff would propel you forward!.
I also like keeping hands free - and the wrist -strap/wound up neck strap is a bit clumsy - and you have to find a place to put the camera down on if you are sitting down, or simply shaking someone's hand!
But in like everything photographic - to each his own and it is more important that you are comfortable with how you carry the camera than what other people tell you to do!

Old 12-27-2011   #24
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Dave,

A fun thread to read, I now have a mental picture of you, Tom A. and other folks proudly walking around with cameras around your neck

I'm fine with my shoulder bag "way" where no one sees a camera until I decided to take a picture. It's not the "stealth" part that is the main motivation although it does help, it's more the sense that I'm blending in with the street crowd.

There is one camera that I proudly sling on my shoulder at events, that is the F3 + MD4. I feel like I can take on the world when I'm toting them

Old 12-27-2011   #25
Gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK Dexter Haven View Post
Oh my gosh! Really! Please - someone.... ANYONE... show me a photograph by Ken Rockwell that impresses you to such an extent that you want to emulate him in any way. Or, take gear advice from him. Down to the detail of strap preference. I've been struggling to understand this for years. You recognize his name. I get that. That makes him an expert? ...
Ha ha, that's funny. I've never thought of it that way. Turn it around -- what do you think Ken Rockwell thinks of us? I'd LOVE to hear his impressions.