Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Fixed Lens 35mm RF

Fixed Lens 35mm RF This forum is dedicated to the numerous and popular fixed lens rangefinders, including but not limited to the Canon Canonets, Konica III and S series, Minoltas, Ricohs, Vivitars, and so many others. Note fixed lens Olympus , Yashicas, Argus and Retina have separate forums.

Old 08-08-2011   #41
efix
RF user by conviction

I just ran a roll of Elite Chrome 100 (great film!) through my T, as mentioned in another thread. Click the image below to see my set "Contax T" on flickr!

"In my humble estimate, there’s a huge lack of appreciation out there for the wonderful aesthetic look that film of all types can lend to an image. Sadly, that doesn’t seem to count in a world that is rushing nowhere like a lot of headless chickens." – Jonathan Eastland
facebook | twitter | flickr! | 500px

Old 08-12-2011   #42
efix
RF user by conviction

Some more Contax T love, this time on Velvia 50. (Click the picture below to see the flickr gallery.)

"In my humble estimate, there’s a huge lack of appreciation out there for the wonderful aesthetic look that film of all types can lend to an image. Sadly, that doesn’t seem to count in a world that is rushing nowhere like a lot of headless chickens." – Jonathan Eastland

Old 08-12-2011   #43
kram

micrimoogman, I have been thinking: The silver 'pin' just below the wind on lever (I think there is another 'pin' in this region as well) could be allowing light through from the wind on lever housing, Therefore taping up the back here, light would still get through. However, replacing the foam seals out any light coming through this way.

Old 08-12-2011   #44
micromoogman

You could be right. But shouldn't the light be visible down left in the picture then? These are up left. Maybe it's from the lens/front somewhere. I'll replace the foam... this is quite annoying.

Old 08-18-2011   #45
kram

Is it fixed yet. Your second photo above is exactly the problem I had.

Contax T
Old 08-18-2011   #46
jhawker

Contax T

Hello All,
The T and Fuji's NPH 400 were my favorites for quite some time.
Load carefully proceed without notice.
The hyperfocal markings were great.
Still have two Ts.
Keep Eager.
JH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1771-13-final.jpg (93.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 1771-14-final.jpg (98.4 KB, 13 views)

Old 08-18-2011   #47
existrandom

i love mine, i often take it out instead of my other cameras. it feels more causal, in a good way

my specimen (brought from ebay a few years ago) exposes and focuses well, my only complain is the tight tolerance with film loading, i often have exposures overlapped across frames, the rewind crank feels quite feeble, too

i like the lens rendition too, it's smooth and often works magic with color
but it shows similar lightleaks recently

Last edited by existrandom : 08-18-2011 at 13:00.

Old 08-21-2011   #48
micromoogman

kram, where did you get the foam from? I don't know the thickness, 1 or 2 mm? I've seen seal kits at Ebay but not really sure what I need.

Some pics without leak at all.

Old 08-21-2011   #49
efix
RF user by conviction

Quote:
Originally Posted by existrandom View Post
my specimen (brought from ebay a few years ago) exposes and focuses well, my only complain is the tight tolerance with film loading, i often have exposures overlapped across frames, the rewind crank feels quite feeble, too
I recently made a tutorial video on how to load the Contax T, take a look if you like. The most important part is to get the sprockets engage properly. Anyhow, in the video you can see how I'm doing it, works all the time without problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bae4cD4v3-o

Old 08-22-2011   #50
kram

I used the 2mm thick foam (just to make sure). it was not pre cut, so I cut it with a craft blade. I have just got a kit for my Mamiya back from these people http://camerasealkit.com/

Try them to see if they just do a simple sheetwhich you can use for the Contax T.
there should by 1 or 2 other companies out there as well.

Old 08-22-2011   #51
existrandom

Quote:
Originally Posted by efix View Post
I recently made a tutorial video on how to load the Contax T, take a look if you like. The most important part is to get the sprockets engage properly. Anyhow, in the video you can see how I'm doing it, works all the time without problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bae4cD4v3-o
thanks efix, that's helpful!

Old 09-08-2011   #52
efix
RF user by conviction

Contax T with generic drugstore slide film (dm paradies 100, allegedly re-branded Elite Chrome):

2011-08-12_CD+dm100_04_lr by efixphoto, on Flickr

2011-08-12_CD+dm100_11_lr by efixphoto, on Flickr

2011-08-12_CD+dm100_16_lr by efixphoto, on Flickr

2011-08-12_CD+dm100_18_lr by efixphoto, on Flickr

2011-08-12_CD+dm100_28_lr by efixphoto, on Flickr

2011-08-12_CD+dm100_29_lr by efixphoto, on Flickr

2011-08-12_CD+dm100_34_lr by efixphoto, on Flickr

Loving this camera to bits! Next up: Velvia 100F (just finished scanning) and Elite Chrome EBX (just back from lab). It seems I need to slightly overexpose when light gets sparse, or else the slides will turn out too dark. Don't know if that's acutally a feature, or if the meter isn't as accurate in low light (maybe a sign of age?). Need to experiment ... btw, the +1.5 EV button came in handy a couple of times already, and I noticed that I actually prefer slightly overexposed slides for scanning.

Last edited by efix : 09-08-2011 at 05:03.

Old 09-12-2011   #53
micromoogman

I don't know what this thread is about any longer...? Anything Contax T I guess.
OK, so I swapped seals everywhere except those in the camera back (but those were taped and it still leaked). I used 2mm foam and 1mm for the top rail.
I'm tossing it in the garbage any day now...
It is leaking even worse now what it seems...

Old 09-12-2011   #54
efix
RF user by conviction

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromoogman View Post
I don't know what this thread is about any longer...? Anything Contax T I guess.
As the title says!

Quote:
OK, so I swapped seals everywhere except those in the camera back (but those were taped and it still leaked). I used 2mm foam and 1mm for the top rail.
I'm tossing it in the garbage any day now...
It is leaking even worse now what it seems...
I'm sorry to hear that. Have you not considered sending it away for repair?

Old 09-12-2011   #55
micromoogman

No, I have not. I a sworn DIY-person... And it's kind of fun to fight a little with the cameras. I'm not that desperate

Old 09-12-2011   #56
kram

It looks like it is leaking less. I have just renewed light seals in my RB67 back, but used 2-3mm foam. Maybe a little too thick but it will always bed in. I was just thinking, you won't like this, how about 2mm on the top rail instead of the 1mm. Then 1mm foam seamed a bit to thin for my liking.

Old 09-18-2011   #57
micromoogman

Hurrah! Finally I succeeded to pin down the source of leakage. It was the canister foam, at the take up side, that never met up with the film rail plate. Just the one kram pointed out as the source of his problems. I swapped the foam but didn't realize that it should have a snug fit to the rails...
Thanks for your help!

Old 09-19-2011   #58
efix
RF user by conviction

That's good to hear!

Old 10-18-2011   #59
efix
RF user by conviction

WTF???

That's 13 frames!

It seems the shutter gets stuck half the time - I hear it open, but don't hear it close again.

Has this happened to anyone before? Any way to fix it?

Last edited by efix : 10-18-2011 at 03:31.

Old 10-18-2011   #60
micromoogman

Yes, funny you mention it. The same happened to me, or the camera came with this fault... It comes from bad connection in the shutter release button. Simple fix actually. Take off the top cover and locate the shutter button. Unscrew it and clean it. Could be battery too.

Old 10-18-2011   #61
Steve M.

I was trying to decide between one of the T's and a Minox 35 MB. Expensive, old, complicated electronic cameras scare me to death. One minute everything is great, the next you can end up w/ a costly doorstop. The price difference between the two cameras was pretty large, so even though the T arguably has a better lens, I went w/ the Minox. If it dies unexpectedly it's less money to lose.

I once owned a Hexar AF that had a very similar issue w/ the shutter button. They're known for this problem. My fix was to take the battery out of the camera and quickly and solidly press the shutter button about 100 times in the hope of clearing up the contacts. Worked like a charm and I never had any more problems w/ the shutter button.

Last edited by Steve M. : 10-18-2011 at 04:25.

Old 10-18-2011   #62
efix
RF user by conviction

Quote:
Yes, funny you mention it. The same happened to me, or the camera came with this fault... It comes from bad connection in the shutter release button. Simple fix actually. Take off the top cover and locate the shutter button. Unscrew it and clean it. Could be battery too.
Thanks! I'll try batteries first, I think I have some lying around. I just have it loaded with E100G, so I can't open it up right now :-)

Old 10-18-2011   #63
efix
RF user by conviction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
I was trying to decide between one of the T's and a Minox 35 MB. Expensive, old, complicated electronic cameras scare me to death. One minute everything is great, the next you can end up w/ a costly doorstop. The price difference between the two cameras was pretty large, so even though the T arguably has a better lens, I went w/ the Minox. If it dies unexpectedly it's less money to lose.

I once owned a Hexar AF that had a very similar issue w/ the shutter button. They're known for this problem. My fix was to take the battery out of the camera and quickly and solidly press the shutter button about 100 times in the hope of clearing up the contacts. Worked like a charm and I never had any more problems w/ the shutter button.
Yeah, costly electronics repairs is what I fear most in the lifecycle of my T. So far it has been working flawlessly, though. I hope it's just the battery. Thanks for your input!

Old 11-07-2011   #64
efix
RF user by conviction

Took apart my T last night - rather simple really. The putting back together was more challenging ... might do a short tutorial video on this as well :-)

Anyhow, I blew my rocket blower a bit on the innards of the T, hoping that I have blown away all the residual dust that has been gathering below the top plate. As a positive side effect, my viewfinder is now clean from dust as well.

So far, the shutter seems to open and close properly as it should, so I hope my little disassembling and dust blowing has done the trick. I just loaded it with a roll of cheap Superia 200-24 to make sure it works properly before I load it with slide film again.

My last roll of E100G probably has some blank exposures and some I took twice when I was unsure whether the camera had exposed properly. I will report back as soon as I know more.

Old 11-14-2011   #65
efix
RF user by conviction

UPDATE: The shutter problem doesn't seem to be one I can fix myself. In bright light it will always fire properly, but as the light gets sparse, it randomly chooses to either not fire at all, or to get stuck open. I inquired with different companies throughout the EU and US, and hopefully one of them will be able to get it back working again.

I have the prospect of getting an Olympus XA, so in case the T dies, I'll have another compact rf at least. And if the T can be fixed, I'll have two -- all the better :-)

Old 11-17-2011   #66
oktyone

Sad to hear that, makes me not want to use mine so much out of fear this could happen to mine, repairing it is absurdly expensive. Sadly the XA is no match for the T, the rangefinder is tiny, dim, with an extremely short base and awkward controls. I'd say a Rollei 35S is a better replacement, although you do miss the rangefinder.

Old 11-17-2011   #67
Rui Resende

I own a T and a XA. I got them around the same time, some year and a half ago. I practically don't use the XA anymore, and I carry the T whatever i go. Based on what i've been reading in this thread, about light leakages and shutter problems, i guess i've been very very lucky. No problem whatsoever so far with mine, and i've used it and mistreated it a lot. I hope you can fix your problems. Efix, about buying the XA, some people just love that camera, i think it's great in its conception, probably superior to the contax in its design concept, but the lens is worse, and to me it's a lot harder to use.

Here some shots i made with the T since i have it (all the scans are lab ones, some not so good):

Hope you can bring your t back from the dead. It's an amazing shooter...

Old 11-17-2011   #68
efix
RF user by conviction

oktyone and Rui, thanks for your replies and your input on the XA. I'll have a look at it today, and if I like it and the price is right, I'll take it.

Rui, those are some excellent pictures! Nice to see your T is put to such great use!

Old 11-18-2011   #69
micromoogman

More bad news... The three screws that are holding the top cover are screwed into plastic brackets. 2 of 3 are wasted on my now so I have to tape it in place... Titanium and plastic?

Old 01-24-2012   #70
efix
RF user by conviction

Just got the repair estimate for my Contax T. 200 €!!! "Repair and adjust shutter with electronics. Check and tune functions."

Looks like it's more serious than I thought/hoped. But I guess I should have it done. So here goes the swapping my 50 Planar for a 50 C Sonnar ... once my Yashica and Contax are back to a working state, I will have shelled out pretty much the price differenc between those two lenses.

Maybe for my birthday, then. I'd rather have my cameras working than a new lens.

Old 01-24-2012   #71
micromoogman

I gave up on mine and bought a new black one instead. It seems to work fine. I gave something like $150 or 120 Euro for it.

Old 01-24-2012   #72
sleepyhead

Hello fellow Appreciaters of the Contax T:
(Rui - great shots posted!)

Yes, keeping the Contax T running smoothly can be an expensive and trying affair. The lens is fantastic, the package size incredible, but the build is bad. I've been through 6 T's in the past 10 years in order to have two that function. And they have problems that need tape or other fixes.

But my main reason for writing is:
Has anyone tried to adjust the rangefinder on the Contax T themselves? Where are the adjustment screws and how to access them?

I have one body that is good, except the rangefinder is out of alignment in both the horizontal and vertical axes.

Old 01-24-2012   #73
Brian Legge

These threads are making me think I should sell my new Contax T before trying it, falling in love and having it die. :\

I just bought one on a whim as the deal was too good to pass up and as it sounded like my ideal small camera. I haven't run a roll through it yet but I haven't found any issues yet while testing.

I'm starting to rethink getting into this camera given the rate people are talking about them dying.

Old 01-24-2012   #74
sleepyhead

BRIAN - no no, you must at least try it before considering to sell.

Be careful opening and closing the small sliding lock on the bottom of the camera (used to allow the back to be removed for film loading/unloading) - I broke a couple of those just being heavy-handed...

Old 01-24-2012   #75
Brian Legge

You're right. I will.

Thanks for the tip.

Old 01-25-2012   #76
Rico

The build quality does leaves something to be desired. I removed the top deck to clean the VF, and noticed the plastic tabs. Based on the many dented bodies on eBay, I find it hard to believe the body exterior is titanium - more like pot aluminum! Best to treat the Contax T like a fine and delicate photographic instrument, and all should be well. Handling and resulting images are worth the investment. Just in case, however, I have three copies: my main, my zero-actuation collector grade, and a (working) parts donor. I shouldn't need an expensive service call for some time.

Rico Tudor. Leica M4, IIIb, 28, 35, 50, 90, 135, 280. Contax T, RTS; Canon; Nikon; Profoto

Old 01-25-2012   #77
efix
RF user by conviction

Quote:
I gave up on mine and bought a new black one instead. It seems to work fine. I gave something like $150 or 120 Euro for it.
That's of course the alternative - simply buying another one. Although you'll have no guarantee that it works, less that it keeps working ... that's why I decided to have mine repaired. This way I'll know it works, and I'll have warranty on the repairs. And a very good condition used T would cost about the same as getting the one I have (which is in very good condition except for the shutter problem) repaired.

Yup, expensive little toys. But compared to what getting a Leica fixed can set you back, still rather "affordable" ...

Old 02-22-2012   #78
efix
RF user by conviction

Gentlemen (and Ladies), the T is back!

I just received it from Grah Optik in Duisburg, Germany today. They did a great job getting it to work properly again, and it seems it's received a full CLA on the way. Happiness!

Shutter is no more sticky, viewfinder is clean, ISO dial runs smooth like butter, and everything else is as I remember. I just put a roll of cheap Kodak VR+ 400 film in it, just to be on the safe side before I load it with slide film again. Now let's take some pictures!

Old 02-22-2012   #79
Rico

Good news, and post pics! What was the repair cost, if I may ask?

Rico Tudor. Leica M4, IIIb, 28, 35, 50, 90, 135, 280. Contax T, RTS; Canon; Nikon; Profoto

Old 02-22-2012   #80
efix
RF user by conviction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
Good news, and post pics! What was the repair cost, if I may ask?
As I stated previously, roughly 200 €. Not quite cheap, but the camera is well worth it, I believe.