Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Rangefinder Forum > Optics Theory -

Optics Theory - This forum is aimed towards the TECHNICAL side of photographic OPTICS THEORY. There will be some overlap by camera/manufacturer, but this forum is for the heavy duty tech discussions. This is NOT the place to discuss a specific lens or lens line, do that in the appropriate forum. This is the forum to discuss optics or lenses in general, to learn about the tech behind the lenses and images. IF you have a question about a specific lens, post it in the forum about that type of camera, NOT HERE.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 05-20-2007   #51
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 22,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosk
Thankyou very much Raid for conducting these tests which have no doubt required quite a bit of hard work on your part.


I'm surprised at how well the CV lenses performed, and how poorly the older Leicas did.
In particular the sharpness of the CV 35 Ultron wide-open was much better than the things I'd heard about it lead me to imagine. I was also pleased (but not surprised) at the performance of the PII which has always delighted me, for price it is simply incredible.

I am pretty shocked at how little difference there seems to be between most of the modern lenses in the test, though I do think that under more "real world conditions" differences would reveal themselves over time. I've always found it hard to determine how I feel about a lens after a single outing, but protracted use usually tells a story once you've shot it under a variety of conditions.
No offense to Raid who I think has done a brilliant job, I'm merely musing over the fact that tests can only hope to tell us so much.
One thing the test does tell me is that the difference between B&W films can be much greater than the difference between various lenses, and I'm now more keen than ever to experiment with new films rather than daydream about owning new lenses - definately a good thing!
Hi Bosk,

The testing is not done yet; yesterday and today I shot one roll per lens for four lenses, for images under all type of conditions. If I had the money to dvelop and scan many rolls of film, I would have done this for each lens. With 27 lenses [and 27 36-exp rolls], the total cost would be over $400 [plus the cost of the 27 rolls of film]. One of the best benfits of such tests is maybe to get a useful conversation started here.

Cheers,

Raid
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2007   #52
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 22,775
Hi,

I need a volunteer to develop and scan two rolls of EFKE 25 B&W film for the lens testing efforts here. Is anyone willing to do this task? If so, please pm me. Thanks.


Greetings,

Raid
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2007   #53
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 22,775
Ravinder has volunteered to do the developing and scanning. Thanks!

Raid
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2007   #54
visiondr
cyclic iconoclast
 
visiondr's Avatar
 
visiondr is offline
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,215
Raid, Roland

Thank you for all your work. These tests are very valuable. I'm about to purchase a 35mm and this series has been helpful.
__________________
Ron


“The enemy of art is the absence of limitations.”
Orson Welles

flickr (visiondrawn)

  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2007   #55
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 22,775
This is good to know, Ron. Which 35mm lens are you considering?

Raid
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2007   #56
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 22,775
If anyone has experience with developing EFKE 25 film, this would be a plus.

Raid
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2007   #57
Huck Finn
Registered User
 
Huck Finn is offline
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Connecticut, USA
Posts: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan normandale
Roland and Raid.. hurculean effort of work and analysis!

What I find interesting here is how everyone looks for a 'winner' so to speak. What I'm getting here is solid information on how to use a specific lens to achieve a certain effect. All seem to have some unique character worth exploiting in photography.
Just what I was thinking.
__________________
Zeiss Ikon
Zeiss 35/2 Biogon, Zeiss 50/1.5 C-Sonnar, Rollei 40/2.8 Sonnar, Voigtlander 28/3.5 Skopar, Voigtlander 75/2.5 Heliar


<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=352'>My Gallery</a>
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2007   #58
Huck Finn
Registered User
 
Huck Finn is offline
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Connecticut, USA
Posts: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid
Hi Bosk,

The testing is not done yet; yesterday and today I shot one roll per lens for four lenses, for images under all type of conditions. If I had the money to dvelop and scan many rolls of film, I would have done this for each lens. With 27 lenses [and 27 36-exp rolls], the total cost would be over $400 [plus the cost of the 27 rolls of film]. One of the best benfits of such tests is maybe to get a useful conversation started here.

Cheers,

Raid
Which 4 lenses, Raid?
__________________
Zeiss Ikon
Zeiss 35/2 Biogon, Zeiss 50/1.5 C-Sonnar, Rollei 40/2.8 Sonnar, Voigtlander 28/3.5 Skopar, Voigtlander 75/2.5 Heliar


<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=352'>My Gallery</a>
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2007   #59
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 22,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck Finn
Which 4 lenses, Raid?
Yesterday I was trying to out [a Canon 35/2] to rest the questions about the performance of the Canon 35/2 that came out below par in my few images so far. I also gave the "new champion" lens, the Canon 50/1.5, a field test with another roll of film. Today, I put the two "giants" one against the other. I used a roll for the Leica Summilux and a roll for the CV 35mm/1.2 ... the Beast.


Raid

Last edited by raid : 05-21-2007 at 12:57.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2007   #60
Huck Finn
Registered User
 
Huck Finn is offline
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Connecticut, USA
Posts: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid
Yesterday I was trying to out to rest the questions about the performance of the Canon 35/2 that came out below par in my few images so far. I also gave the "new champion" lens, the Canon 50/1.5, a field test with another roll of film. Today, I put the two "giants" one against the other. I use a roll for the Leica Summilux and a roll for the CV 35mm/1.2 ... the Beast.


Raid
Thanks for the info . . . as well as for all the work you did on this amazing test. If no one has mentioned it, your daughter is lovely & the colors in the protrait suited are particularly well. Overall, it was a beautiful composition.
__________________
Zeiss Ikon
Zeiss 35/2 Biogon, Zeiss 50/1.5 C-Sonnar, Rollei 40/2.8 Sonnar, Voigtlander 28/3.5 Skopar, Voigtlander 75/2.5 Heliar


<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=352'>My Gallery</a>
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2007   #61
visiondr
cyclic iconoclast
 
visiondr's Avatar
 
visiondr is offline
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,215
I think I'm going for the Zeiss Biogon ZM. My only other lens is a 50mm Elmar-M and the extra stop will be very useful. I've owned at Zeiss Biogon 25mmm (just a bit too wide for me at this time) and I found it was nearly "flare proof". I've shot into insanely glaring situations and the lens really mitigated the bouncing around of all that extraneous light.

The only significant criticism I've heard of this lens is its size. But really, the entire 35mm framelines are visible with the lens. The size is a red herring to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid
This is good to know, Ron. Which 35mm lens are you considering?

Raid
__________________
Ron


“The enemy of art is the absence of limitations.”
Orson Welles

flickr (visiondrawn)

  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2007   #62
back alley
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ moderator
 
back alley's Avatar
 
back alley is offline
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: searching for the perfect bag!
Posts: 37,642
the zm 35/2 is a very nice lens, handles like a dream and sharp.
i think you will be very pleased.
__________________
heart soul & a camera

x-e1/23/56/16-50


http://crated.com/backalleyimages
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2007   #63
Abbazz
6x9 and be there!
 
Abbazz's Avatar
 
Abbazz is offline
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vendôme (France)
Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid
If anyone has experience with developing EFKE 25 film, this would be a plus.
Raid,

Thanks for the tests, the results published on Roland's site are unbelievably useful. Your test pattern is great.

I have been souping Ekfe 25 in Diafine at nominal sensitivity (25 ISO) for years with very good results. Just make sure you use a hardening fixer as the emulsion on this film is very soft so it gets damaged quite easily. I use Kodak Hardening fixer because it comes in powder and it's easier to have is shipped to my end of the world.

Cheers,

Abbazz
__________________
Il n'y a rien dans le monde qui n'ait son moment décisif, et le chef-d'œuvre de la bonne conduite est de connaître et de prendre ce moment. - Cardinal de Retz

The 6x9 Photography Online Resource

  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2007   #64
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 22,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbazz
Raid,

Thanks for the tests, the results published on Roland's site are unbelievably useful. Your test pattern is great.

I have been souping Ekfe 25 in Diafine at nominal sensitivity (25 ISO) for years with very good results. Just make sure you use a hardening fixer as the emulsion on this film is very soft so it gets damaged quite easily. I use Kodak Hardening fixer because it comes in powder and it's easier to have is shipped to my end of the world.

Cheers,

Abbazz
Thank you Abbazz. I forwarded your tip to the person who volunteered to do the developing.

Raid
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2007   #65
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 22,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley
the zm 35/2 is a very nice lens, handles like a dream and sharp.
i think you will be very pleased.
Hi Joe,

Could you look into making the lens tests a sticky ?

Raid
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2007   #66
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 22,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck Finn
Thanks for the info . . . as well as for all the work you did on this amazing test. If no one has mentioned it, your daughter is lovely & the colors in the protrait suited are particularly well. Overall, it was a beautiful composition.

Thanks. I take test images with the hope to also get nice photos out of them.

Raid
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2007   #67
colinh
Registered User
 
colinh's Avatar
 
colinh is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Munich
Age: 46
Posts: 502
It might be an idea to use the same roll of film for several lenses - to avoid inconsistencies in film, developing and scanning...



colin
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2007   #68
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 22,775
Colin:I usually use the same color film and the same B&W film, but here, I added field tests with "real"B&W film and not XP2 for those RF members who insist on such type of film.

Raid
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2010   #69
sparrow6224
Registered User
 
sparrow6224's Avatar
 
sparrow6224 is offline
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York NY
Posts: 942
My first reaction to the images was wow, ***, the Canon 35/1.5??? That lens has had very mixed reviews as someone else pointed out, but your sample at least is stellar. You can see its not terribly flare resistant to put it mildly by the lightbulb crops but in all the other images it does fine.

My reactions generally are much much more guided by the sharpness / flare comparisons than the bokeh. Bokeh is very nice but doesn't on the whole interest me a whole lot and it has to be very bad -- mythic bad -- for me to hold it against a lens.

The Summilux is of course the best of the lot. And why wou'dn't it be.

But, for other surprises: I thought the CV 35/2.5's, both of them, looked as good as the Summaron 2.8 or close to it, and one hears such raves about that lens. The CV Ulton 35/1.7 looked excellent as well. I had -- until an unfortunate incident in a taxi -- the Summicron 40 and know how good it is so I'm not surprised to see it outperforming what are thought to be its betters. I, unlike some here, was not impressed with the Nokton 40s in any of the comparisons.

And, no has said a word, but the highly thought of Biogon 35/2 didn't do very well, I thought -- though it's clearly excellent on the flare issue.

So the big winners to my eyes were, first, the Canon 35/1.5, next the three CV's in no particular order, and the Rokkor/Summicron 40s. Disappointing were the 35 Biogon and, to me, the Noktons. The Canon 35/1.8, the Summaron 35/2.8, and the 35 Summicrons were kind of 'as expected' or not quite as good as expected, but only by a hair.
__________________
Best,
Vince



http://www.flickr.com/photos/commodiusvicus/
  Reply With Quote

Lens tests
Old 07-26-2011   #70
Bluedog2212
Registered User
 
Bluedog2212 is offline
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: North carolina
Age: 77
Posts: 38
Cool Lens tests

I must say the work involved makes me tire thinking about it.
As most of my work has been large format, the issues with 35mm are quite different, even different from MF.

That said, the quality of the photograph in this amount of detail in the eye of a judge will not be noticed, IMHO. It will only be judged by fellow photographers. If we are wanting to get our work published or shown, I don't think the differences here are
significant.
Short version: the photo is the objective, not the gear.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2011   #71
efix
RF user by conviction
 
efix's Avatar
 
efix is offline
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 749
This is an awesome test you guys did there, kudos and a big thank you!

Finally, there is a comparison of the Nokton 40/1.4 MC and SC versions that shows actual differences in rendering! Also -- I knew it, but it's fascinating to see in an actual comparison -- the 35 Biogon is one contrasty lens!

These pictures have convinced me that the 40 Nokton MC is the way to go if I decide to add a fast 50 (eq.) to my M-lens repertoire (using an M8).
__________________
"In my humble estimate, there’s a huge lack of appreciation out there for the wonderful aesthetic look that film of all types can lend to an image. Sadly, that doesn’t seem to count in a world that is rushing nowhere like a lot of headless chickens." – Jonathan Eastland
facebook | twitter | flickr! | 500px
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2011   #72
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC
Age: 41
Posts: 14,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by efix View Post
These pictures have convinced me that the 40 Nokton MC is the way to go if I decide to add a fast 50 (eq.) to my M-lens repertoire (using an M8).
I would think of it as a 35mm and not a 50.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2011   #73
efix
RF user by conviction
 
efix's Avatar
 
efix is offline
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I would think of it as a 35mm and not a 50.
As stated, I'd be using it on an M8, where it would be ~ 53mm-equivalent. Used on film or an M9, I guess it's up to debate whether a 40 is close to a 35 or a 50 :-) (I've actually read both claims!)
__________________
"In my humble estimate, there’s a huge lack of appreciation out there for the wonderful aesthetic look that film of all types can lend to an image. Sadly, that doesn’t seem to count in a world that is rushing nowhere like a lot of headless chickens." – Jonathan Eastland
facebook | twitter | flickr! | 500px
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2011   #74
sanmich
Registered User
 
sanmich's Avatar
 
sanmich is offline
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow6224 View Post
My first reaction to the images was wow, ***, the Canon 35/1.5??? That lens has had very mixed reviews as someone else pointed out, but your sample at least is stellar. You can see its not terribly flare resistant to put it mildly by the lightbulb crops but in all the other images it does fine.

My reactions generally are much much more guided by the sharpness / flare comparisons than the bokeh. Bokeh is very nice but doesn't on the whole interest me a whole lot and it has to be very bad -- mythic bad -- for me to hold it against a lens.

The Summilux is of course the best of the lot. And why wou'dn't it be.

But, for other surprises: I thought the CV 35/2.5's, both of them, looked as good as the Summaron 2.8 or close to it, and one hears such raves about that lens. The CV Ulton 35/1.7 looked excellent as well. I had -- until an unfortunate incident in a taxi -- the Summicron 40 and know how good it is so I'm not surprised to see it outperforming what are thought to be its betters. I, unlike some here, was not impressed with the Nokton 40s in any of the comparisons.

And, no has said a word, but the highly thought of Biogon 35/2 didn't do very well, I thought -- though it's clearly excellent on the flare issue.

So the big winners to my eyes were, first, the Canon 35/1.5, next the three CV's in no particular order, and the Rokkor/Summicron 40s. Disappointing were the 35 Biogon and, to me, the Noktons. The Canon 35/1.8, the Summaron 35/2.8, and the 35 Summicrons were kind of 'as expected' or not quite as good as expected, but only by a hair.

Hi Vince

just to share, about the 35 1.5:
I had one. it was impressive in terms of sharpness, but it could flare like mad. I mean huge white half moon shapes across the entire frame.
That, the handling, and the minimum focus of 1m, made me sell it.
__________________
Michael

Gloire a qui n'ayant pas d'ideal sacro-saint se borne a ne pas trop emmerder ses voisins (Brassens)

My site
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2011   #75
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 22,775
You guys dug up this old test!
__________________
- Raid

________________
Top 12 Images;

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lynx 14 Flare Reduction Rec... NickTrop Yashica RF 11 12-01-2006 13:30
My 50 1.8 exhibits flare markbrennan Canon RF 7 12-01-2005 12:22
I finally could test my Heliar 15mm + my jupiter 8 laurentvenet Cosina Voigtlander Bessa 2 12-05-2004 07:39



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:52.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.