Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Fixed Lens Advanced Compacts > Fuji X Fixed Lens

Fuji X Fixed Lens This forum is for fans of the rangefinder retrostyled Fuji X Series of digital cameras.

Old 07-01-2011   #26
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Well ... spare batteries aren't axactly expensive ... not to mention that the one the camera actually comes with is Chinese I noticed!

Stop comparing it to your RD-1!

flickr ... currently all images from the DP2M and DP3M

Old 07-01-2011   #27
back alley
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Well ... spare batteries aren't axactly expensive ... not to mention that the one the camera actually comes with is Chinese I noticed!

Stop comparing it to your RD-1!
the fuji version is 90 bucks locally!!

x-e1/23/56/16-50

Old 07-01-2011   #28
RayPA
Ignore It (It'll go away)

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
these were aperure priority.
why auto iso?
Basically (exactly), what Richard said. The high ISO IQ is very good, so you shouldn't have to futz with changing the setting. You can let that variable slide and work the other two as you like (one of the great things about having great high-ISO quality).

Agree too. This is not a slow camera (not as fast as film, but close).

/
I'm ~quinine~ on Flickr
blogged

Old 07-01-2011   #29
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

I didn't imagine you'd fall for this camera... but then, I'm glad you did. VERY nice photographs, joe...

To your credit: I was totally turned off by this camera after Keith's review. But the colors and sharpness of your shots have convinced me that it is a good machine. I am now feeling curious...

Take care!
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide
No longer selling any Nikon SLR glass...

Old 07-01-2011   #30
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
the fuji version is 90 bucks locally!!

Yes ... well I was thinking more along the lines of eBay. There's a zillion options.

I currently have my eye on a little USB charger that actually comes with a battery for twelve dollars!

Made in china of course so we know it's good.

I meant to mention Joe .... I love the colours in those pics you posted!

Old 07-01-2011   #31
tlitody

got any of will and kate ?

Old 07-01-2011   #32
Harry S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
Auto ISO is great with this camera...
Thanks Richard for explaining this. I must admit I didnt know about this function. I just tried it out and it seems to work really well!

Old 07-01-2011   #33
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I'm not a real fan of auto ISO sorry. A large part of shooting digital for me is being able to use ISO in the same way you use shutter speed and aperture ... to control the look of your final output. This is where the three stop ND filter of the X100 is very useful.

Last edited by Keith : 07-01-2011 at 20:30.

Old 07-01-2011   #34
Harry S.

The real thing I hate with this camera (so far) is that every major change you want to make, be it Auto ISO or ND filter, you have to stop and wade through menus to activate/deactive it.

On my DSLR's and film cameras every function I use is at my fingertips, with a button or dial.

Old 07-01-2011   #35
erik

Nice pics and happy Canada Day, it looks like a fun time. These descriptions I'm reading here aren't exactly selling this camera to me. Too slow? Have to keep the camera awake? Reminds me of the Contax G2 I had, after awhile the motor noise in the lens drove me crazy. When the focus was on it was great, but when it was off it was off by a mile, and sometimes just too slow. I'm faster with an M or an OM and certainly a DSLR. I don't get the point of a compact auto everything type camera that gets in your way when life moves too fast for it. But hey, I've never shot with one so I'm certainly missing something and there are plenty of cameras out there that people love that are just not for me, and likewise for others.

Old 07-01-2011   #36
Dr Gaspar

X100's photos look sharper than real life.

Old 07-01-2011   #37
back alley
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlitody View Post
got any of will and kate ?
not my cup of tea...plus i think they are about 3000 miles east of here....

x-e1/23/56/16-50

Old 07-01-2011   #38
Richard G

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik View Post
Nice pics and happy Canada Day, it looks like a fun time. These descriptions I'm reading here aren't exactly selling this camera to me. Too slow? Have to keep the camera awake? Reminds me of the Contax G2 I had, after awhile the motor noise in the lens drove me crazy. When the focus was on it was great, but when it was off it was off by a mile, and sometimes just too slow. I'm faster with an M or an OM and certainly a DSLR. I don't get the point of a compact auto everything type camera that gets in your way when life moves too fast for it. But hey, I've never shot with one so I'm certainly missing something and there are plenty of cameras out there that people love that are just not for me, and likewise for others.
Lots of threads and posts on RFF on just how good this is. The small unit, the interface, the lens and the sensor are all fantastic. DSLR quality in a tiny package. Option for manual controls. There are some very experienced guys on this forum, street shooters with RFs and DSLRs, who recognize the clear quality of the X100. This is an auto everything that doesn't get in your way, with the option of manual everything.

Old 07-01-2011   #39
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Harry ... I don't understand the theory about the hardship of having to dive in and out of menus to change certain settings. The basics seem to be there at your fingertips to me ... aperture, shutter speed and EV compensation. Sure my D700's ISO can be changed with a touch of a button and the quick flick of a command dial but it's like a Mack truck compared to the little Fuji!

I think these cameras are spoiling us!

Old 07-01-2011   #40
Harry S.

Possibly yes. If this camera only did half of the things it can, all those things would fit on buttons :-)

Old 07-01-2011   #41
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry S. View Post
Possibly yes. If this camera only did half of the things it can, all those things would fit on buttons :-)

They've already given us a button and command dial layout more suited to tiny hands!

Some re-thinking there would be useful!

Old 07-01-2011   #42
Gid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry S. View Post
The real thing I hate with this camera (so far) is that every major change you want to make, be it Auto ISO or ND filter, you have to stop and wade through menus to activate/deactive it.

On my DSLR's and film cameras every function I use is at my fingertips, with a button or dial.
Set it auto ISO and forget about it. What else do you want to change on the fly in a hurry? Set the Fn button to that and away you go. I don't find the camera gets in my way in the slightest.

My Top Ten

Gid

Old 07-02-2011   #43
peripatetic

Auto-ISO is brilliant.

I hardly ever need to use the menus. The most-used function is to format the card after I put it in the camera.

I got a couple of spare batteries for £2.99 each from 7dayshop. Both work fine. I wouldn't be hugely surprised if they lasted slightly less long than the Fuji battery, but if that is true I couldn't say for sure by how much. Certainly I get around 300 shots from the Fuji and more than 200 from the cheapo backup batteries, I have never drained one completely because I so far have never shot more than 500 frames in a single day with my X100.

Old 07-02-2011   #44
erik

Quote:
Lots of threads and posts on RFF on just how good this is. The small unit, the interface, the lens and the sensor are all fantastic. DSLR quality in a tiny package. Option for manual controls. There are some very experienced guys on this forum, street shooters with RFs and DSLRs, who recognize the clear quality of the X100. This is an auto everything that doesn't get in your way, with the option of manual everything.
Thanks. I will have to investigate further. A few rough experiences from people who are just getting started with this camera is certainly not enough to come to any conclusion. The X100 has definitely generated a lot of excitement, I'll see if I can get a chance to check one out for myself.

Old 07-02-2011   #45
M4streetshooter
Tourist Thru Life

Quote:
Richard, that's a great way to look at it. My friend has been in Paris for a few months and started to do Auto all. With the new small AF target, it focuses fast in low light.
I like to do some more thinking so I use A mode mostly or M mode.
With Auto ISO, the camera is brilliant.
I have no issues with the interface as I don't need to change anything but what my eyes are looking at.
It's a great street camera, probably one of the best.
Don

Old 07-02-2011   #46
back alley
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ moderator

ok, 2 fully charged batteries...set to auto iso...no camera bag...i am ready for today's shooting...wish me luck!!

x-e1/23/56/16-50

Old 07-02-2011   #47
FrankS

Good light!

Old 07-02-2011   #48
rover

Go gett'um

I am hoping to hear that the camera was simple and brilliant, not just brilliant.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 07-02-2011   #49
KM-25
Get off of here and shoot

I pretty much have this camera down to a subconscious level, never menu dive, rarely miss focus and get 300-500 shots out of a battery of which I have three. I am as fast on this little guy as I am with my D700. I have shot close to 5,000 images since getting the X100.

I have very specific needs with my X100, needing it to basically eliminate the need to rent an M9 which it easily has. Today's fun includes behind the scenes with a former U.S president.

The X100 is truly an awesome camera for what I need it for...:-)