Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Bigger than 35 RF's > 120 RF's

120 RF's 120 / 220 format rangefinders including Fuji, Koni-Omega, Mamiya Press, Linhof 6x7/6x9 cameras, Mamiya 6/7 among others, but excluding the 120 folders and the Voigtlander 667 cameras that have their own forums.

adusting Bronica rf645 to use filters
Old 02-22-2011   #1
Zorkiiglaza

adusting Bronica rf645 to use filters

Its been a while since I used filters on a non TTL metering camera.
I want to put a roll of b/w through my new to me RF645 and can't remember how to compensate the exposure when using filters ie: yellow, orange, or red?

Old 02-22-2011   #2
SteveM

The meter on the camera is next to the viewfinder, so it isn't affected by the filter and you have to use the compensation dial on the back. The filter factors are usually shown on the filters, for example, orange is around 4x. This would darken the image by 2 stops, so you would use +2 compensation on the dial (overexposure). The only exception to this is when you use the Bronica's polarizing filter with the small filter holder directly over the viewfinder.

Steve

MF : Bronica RF645, Ercona II, Franka Solida IIIe

Old 02-22-2011   #3
Zorkiiglaza

Thanks Steve!
Yellow +1
Orange +2
Red +3
This is my 1st modern rangefinder- I've dealt with filters with vintage rangefinder cameras in the past. After testing, i might use a light yellow most of the time
thanks for the quick reply

Perry

Old 02-22-2011   #4
brian steinberger

Perry, this is correct. When you need more than the RF645 can give you in terms of compensation simply use the ISO dial. So if you're compensating +3 stops for a red filter dial +2 on the dial then take a stop away from your film speed (ex: ISO 400 to 200) and that equals +3.

Old 02-23-2011   #5
Zorkiiglaza

Thanks a lot
In the past I usually used my meterless rangefinders ie: Leica, Zorki, Kiev, but now and again I want to use my SP35 or my Konica C35.