Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Clubs, Critique, RFF Projects, Salon > Photogs / Photo Exhibits

Photogs / Photo Exhibits This is the place to discuss a particular Photographer (work, style, life, whatever), as well as to post Gallery and Museum Photo Exhibitions and your own impressions of them. As we march on in this new digital world, it is often too easy to forget about the visual importance of the photographic print, as well as their financial importance to the photographer. It is also interesting to remember that some guy named Gene Smith shot with lenses that many lens test reading "never had a picture published in their life" amateurs would turn up their their noses at, as being "unacceptable."

Peter Schjeldahl on Henri Cartier-Bresson, Live, Right this moment
Old 04-15-2010   #1
martin s

Peter Schjeldahl on Henri Cartier-Bresson, Live, Right this moment

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...chjeldahl.html

martin

Old 04-15-2010   #2
bmasonoh

Thanks for posting this. Interesting discussion!

Various Leica, Hassy & Canon gear
Film Pictures: Flickr
Google+: http://gplus.to/leicafan

Old 04-15-2010   #3
martin s

Pretentious, slow and boring, but I'm glad somebody likes it. Art critic, what a pointless job.

martin

Old 04-15-2010   #4
Andy Kibber

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin s View Post
Pretentious, slow and boring, but I'm glad somebody likes it. Art critic, what a pointless job.

martin
Tell us what you really think!

Old 04-15-2010   #5
anu L ogy

Hrm I suppose now is a good a time as any to post my first post here

I agree with Martin - to an extent - Im a bit disappointed. Some people asked some interesting questions, but I found him unwilling to elaborate on some, and intentionally dodging others. It reminded me of that Garry Winogrand interview at MIT where one of the students called Winogrand out for being a jerk, except no one called this guy out.

-Jim

Last edited by anu L ogy : 04-15-2010 at 12:13.

Old 04-15-2010   #6
remegius

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin s View Post
Art critic, what a pointless job.
martin
Tut, tut, dear boy. Although I must say, it seems that every day I read something that tempts me to agree with you. You know...being intrigued, without ever quite being enlightened. But then someone comes along without an axe to grind, but with a large reserve of insight, and all of a sudden I am reminded that criticism can indeed be interesting and instructive.

Cheers...

Rem

Above all else this is the greatest treason, to do the right thing for the wrong reason.

Old 04-17-2010   #7
Andy Kibber

Speaking of Schjeldahl, he wrote a column in the New Yorker this week about HCB. An interesting read. I also like the follow up questions from readers here (link). I especially like this exchange:

Quote:
QUESTION FROM PAULINA PLEZIA: Itís hard to surprise modern audiences. Sometimes it feels like if every possible photo has already been taken. Would you agree with that? Maybe the digitally created collages are the only way to go.

PETER SCHJELDAHL: But not every photograph has been taken by everybody. People with great and unusual eyes, minds, and sensibilities keep coming. The technique and genre of any work of art promise nothing in terms of quality, in themselves, except as filtered through a temperament.

Old 04-17-2010   #8
retnull

Schjeldahl is not "some guy". He is considered one of the most important living art critics. All other art critics are envious of his prose style: it's stunning. Even if you don't care about what he's writing about, his prose is amazing to read.

Old 04-17-2010   #9
Viktor Sebastian
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by retnull View Post
Schjeldahl is not "some guy". He is considered one of the most important living art critics. All other art critics are envious of his prose style: it's stunning. Even if you don't care about what he's writing about, his prose is amazing to read.
Could you please provide an example?

I just read a few and his writing style didn’t strike me as being amazing prose perhaps I just found dud articles. Or are you referring to his poems?

Edit: He is growing on me. Always so hasty to judge... tut tut.

Last edited by Viktor Sebastian : 04-17-2010 at 05:26.