Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Clubs, Critique, RFF Projects, Salon > RFF Photo Projects > 14 Day One Lens Challenge

Old 10-13-2009   #26
snausages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkin View Post
The only problem there is that it would potentially prevent people who wanted to participate from participating. For instance, it would exclude pretty much all FLRFs, it could potentially exclude all TLRs, it could potentially exclude a lot of MF SLR users. A more reasonable approach, imho, would be to say that all lenses have to between 35mm and 60mm, 35mm equivalent. That way, if someone has a 35 but not a 50, or vice versa, they could still participate.
I think most MF users have a 50-ish equivalent, no? My Rollei and Mamiya 7 both have 80's. Not a big deal either way, just seemed like a cool idea to have everyone trying to work with the same, or very similar, field of view...

Old 10-13-2009   #27
gavinlg

Maybe have a "normal" one with lenses from 35-50mm. A wide one with lenses from 20-28mm, and a superwide one with lenses from 12-18mm could also be done.

Old 10-13-2009   #28
Merkin
For the Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdigital View Post
Maybe have a "normal" one with lenses from 35-50mm. A wide one with lenses from 20-28mm, and a superwide one with lenses from 12-18mm could also be done.
do the 14 day challenges get enough entrants to justify splitting the field three ways?

Old 10-13-2009   #29
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

If the digital gang are to be included, be aware that too stringent ISO restrictions will count us out. The R-D1 starts at ISO 200. Also crop factor, either it counts or not. If the focal length is 50mm, should we be using 35mm, or should be also use 50mm? Please do let us take part, pretty pretty please?

RF: Leica M4-2 | Royal 35-M | Zorki I| Polaroid 110A/600SE hybrid
VF: DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x17 | Voigtländer Vito CL | Foth Derby | Welta Weltix
SLR: Canon EF | Pentacon SIX | Kiev 6C | Pentax SP1000 | Pentax SV | Exa
TLR: Rolleiflex 2.8E3 | Kalloflex K2 | DUO TLR
CSC: Fuji X-E1
Pinhole: 6x17 Vermeer | ONDU 6x6 | DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x24

My Flickr
Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W

Old 10-13-2009   #30
BTMarcais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkin View Post
do the 14 day challenges get enough entrants to justify splitting the field three ways?
maybe just do 3 different challenges over 3 months. Then people could do them all, and get some use out of the lenses that they don't tend to use as often.

-Brian

Old 10-13-2009   #31
snausages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezzie View Post
If the digital gang are to be included, be aware that too stringent ISO restrictions will count us out. The R-D1 starts at ISO 200. Also crop factor, either it counts or not. If the focal length is 50mm, should we be using 35mm, or should be also use 50mm? Please do let us take part, pretty pretty please?
If we want to do the one focal length thing, it's all about 35mm equivalent FL. So if we chose 50mm (for a 35mm frame) that'd mean RD1 users would use a 35mm lens. I don't quite see the appeal of the one ISO thing, but if that's what the group (or Keith) goes with I'm game for anything!

Old 10-13-2009   #32
Merkin
For the Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by snausages2000 View Post
If we want to do the one focal length thing, it's all about 35mm equivalent FL. So if we chose 50mm (for a 35mm frame) that'd mean RD1 users would use a 35mm lens. I don't quite see the appeal of the one ISO thing, but if that's what the group (or Keith) goes with I'm game for anything!
I think that if the individual got to choose the ISO they were going to use (for film, the grain would let it be reasonably identifiable, and with digital, there is EXIF data), I think that would make for a pretty interesting restriction. You would have to ask yourself about the conditions in which your greatest strengths lie- ISO 100 for bright day-lit shots, extremely fine grain/no noise, ISO 400 for all-around goodness, ISO 1600 or higher for killer night time stuff at the expense of daytime shooting? Since the idea of this contest is to show off the strengths of the photographer more than the strengths of the gear, having to use one camera, one lens (perhaps a lens within a specific range of focal lengths), and one film/ISO setting would, in my opinion, be a positive thing.