Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Rangefinder Forum > Optics Theory -

Optics Theory - This forum is aimed towards the TECHNICAL side of photographic OPTICS THEORY. There will be some overlap by camera/manufacturer, but this forum is for the heavy duty tech discussions. This is NOT the place to discuss a specific lens or lens line, do that in the appropriate forum. This is the forum to discuss optics or lenses in general, to learn about the tech behind the lenses and images. IF you have a question about a specific lens, post it in the forum about that type of camera, NOT HERE.

"Ewar" 12/f8 superwideangle
Old 09-04-2009   #1
rxmd
May contain traces of nut

"Ewar" 12/f8 superwideangle

Hi guys,

I just stumbled across an eBay auction for an "Ewar" 12mm/f8 ultra wide angle lens (120465778111):

It looks like it's in T2 mount, which would make it adaptable to most cameras.

Does anyone know this lens? Is it a rectilinear lens or a fisheye? There were a number of 12mm third-party fisheyes, but they usually say "fisheye" somewhere in the lens name. This one has "Ewar ultra wide angle lens". When were they made?

Old 09-04-2009   #2
Roger Hicks

It looks very like a fisheye that I once had, with about a 34mm image circle, i.e. cropped top and bottom, all in left-right: not nice. Mine was under another name, though (nothing unusual there).

Cheers,

R.

Old 09-19-2009   #3
John Shriver

A lens sold under many names, mine is Accura. I think it was also sold under the Spiratone brand. It is T-2 mount.

It is a fish-eye, but it is an odd duck. It is neither full-frame nor circular image. The image circle is something like 32mm, so you only see the edge of the circle at the sides of the frame.