Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Miscellaneous Topics and more > Camera Shows

Camera Shows Forced onto the Endangered Species list by the Internet, your local Camera Show still offers some of the lowest prices and most interesting camera buying times. Post Camera Show schedules in your area, and your Camera Show Experiences.

Sept. Chicago Camera SHow
Old 08-24-2009   #1
jpa66
Jan as in "Jan and Dean"

Sept. Chicago Camera SHow

Any Chicago members here who know anything about the Photorama show coming on September 13th? Are their shows worth going to?

JP

Old 08-24-2009   #2
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

All I know is that I'd get hit with a frying pan for going to a camera show on our anniversary!

They used to be good, it's been a few years since I attended one.

M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M
28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
X100s, NEX-7, N1V1, oodles of filthy Nikon SLRs and DSLRs, some OM gear, an XA, Retinas, a 4x5 and a lonely 500C/M

Old 08-24-2009   #3
bmattock
Lord of Broken Toys

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wigwam/...7600192975348/

Old 08-24-2009   #4
Ronald M

Photorama gets smaller and smaller every year. They are down to 6 or 8 diehard dealers and most of what they have to sell is old stuff that was obsolete 20 to 40 years ago and they been putting it on the table for that long. I don`t see how they can afford to buy a table.

I usually can find one nice lens among the junk.

The Chicago Photographic Collector show is the best. Done once a year and last was perhaps May. It is a fraction of what it was, however it was larger to start so you have a better chance.

http://www.chicagophotographic.org/indexmain.shtml

Use the shows and event tab top left. Looks like May 2, 2010

KEH and Adorama have been at the last few to buy only. Their presence has increased traffic substantially.

Old 08-25-2009   #5
jpa66
Jan as in "Jan and Dean"

Thanks, gentlemen. I think I'll pass on going. The May 2010 show looks like it may be worth it, though.

Old 08-25-2009   #6
marke

I agree with the others. Last year the Photorama was disappointing. Unless you're in the neighborhood, and have nothing better to do, I don't think it's worth it.

OTOH, even through the Chicago Photographic Collector show is smaller these days, I think it's still worth a stop. I came down from Milwaukee this past spring and got some great deals. An M3 in pretty good shape, and shot accurate from the get go for $300. I also got a couple good little goodies from DAG.

Here's the M3, which I've since recovered in cobalt blue goatskin from cameraleather and picked up a period Elmar. It shoots as accurate as my MP.

Leica MP & M3
Summilux 50/f1.4, Summicron 35/f2.0ASPH, Elmar-M 50/f2.8, VC-CS 25/f4

Leica IIIfRD
Summitar 50/f2.0
http://www.pbase.com/marke

Old 08-27-2009   #7
JohnTF

Location: Home is Cleveland, Summers often Europe, Winters often Mexico.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa66 View Post
Any Chicago members here who know anything about the Photorama show coming on September 13th? Are their shows worth going to?

JP

Abe has taken over the Photorama shows from his Dad, and is doing more buying and selling, I hear Lewis (The Filter King) is working more with him. Abe's dad, Sam, should be there as well. They work out of Detroit, if you go to their site, www.photorama.com, and call the phone number, Abe, or Lewis should be able to tell you how many tables are being set up.

The number of shows has dropped, but Chicago should always be a good show. Abe will be in Cleveland the Sunday before.

KEH has been buying at some of these shows, and when they advertise, people show up with suitcases of stuff to sell.

It seems about when I start to give up on camera shows, an interesting show occurs. There are a core of traveling dealers, but each area attracts local people, plus, it seems more local people are looking for cash for stuff from drawers.

Am sure Igor will be in Chicago, he is in charge of the annual Western Reserve Show the week before in Cleveland, Abe will be there as well.

Regards, John

Josef Sudek

Last edited by JohnTF : 08-27-2009 at 01:47.