Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > Smartphone Cameras

Smartphone Cameras Sure your Leica M9 takes better picts, but is is smart enough to make a phone call ?

View Poll Results: Would you use a Light Meter application on your iPhone?
YES you bet I would! I want it now! 171 46.72%
Yes I would download it and use it on occasion. 66 18.03%
Maybe... I'd give it a look to see if it interests me. 45 12.30%
Nah... I'm happy with what I'm using. 10 2.73%
Not at all interested. I enjoy carrying this old meter around! 14 3.83%
I don't have an iPhone so it doesn't matter anyway... 82 22.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2009   #26
uhligfd

Which cameras (modern) do not have a superior lightmeter than one that an i-phone could ever include?

OK, there are still thousands of Leica Mlow numbers users, but enough to sell more than a dozen i-apps?

What is the business model here? (I use the meters inside my cameras [sorry, I have no M2] and a bit of good sense.)

Old 02-18-2009   #27
Blake Werts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhligfd View Post
Which cameras (modern) do not have a superior lightmeter than one that an i-phone could ever include?

OK, there are still thousands of Leica Mlow numbers users, but enough to sell more than a dozen i-apps?

What is the business model here? (I use the meters inside my cameras [sorry, I have no M2] and a bit of good sense.)
The idea/intent was never as lofty as to replace, or even compete with, the modern precision light meters or those found in "modern" cameras. This is more for those of us who are still shooting with cameras from the era of the handheld meter--or those that attach to the camera's hot shoe.

Old 02-19-2009   #28
rxmd
May contain traces of nut

I would have liked it to work, but it won't. I ended up hacking together a Python version of the Ultimate Exposure Computer tables for my Nokia E60, which was just as useful even though it doesn't meter light.

Philipp

Old 02-19-2009   #29
MacDaddy
Certified Machead

Look at an application in the App Store inside iTunes called "Exposure Calc". Several developers ARE working on a version of a light meter usable inside an iPhone!

Geezerdude

Old 02-19-2009   #30
rxmd
May contain traces of nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy View Post
Look at an application in the App Store inside iTunes called "Exposure Calc". Several developers ARE working on a version of a light meter usable inside an iPhone!
Exposure Calc (aka iKspozher) is just another version of the good old exposure tables. You select lighting conditions from a list and it tells you an exposure value from a list. It doesn't use the phone's camera.

Philipp

Black Cat
Old 04-14-2009   #31
Leigh Youdale

Black Cat

I've had a look at the iPhone Apps store (Exposure Calc) and it's a start, but I agree with FreeRanger - if the Black Cat calculator could be converted to an iPhone App it would be a more versatile application and I too would be interested. It doesn't actually measure the light or work with the iPhone camera but as a pocket calculator for film users it would be great.

Fuji X10
Leica M6
Bessa R4A
Rolleiflex (3): E3 Planar 2.8, WA & Tele
Nikkormat FTn (2)

Old 04-14-2009   #32
Bassism

I've got a couple exposure charts on my iphone, and I really find that they're more of a pain than they're worth. A piece of paper is much faster than turning on the phone, waiting for the app to load, then using the slider.
I've never used the Black Cat calculator though, and it does look pretty comprehensive, which could make up for the cumbersomeness.

At this point I'm waiting to see what Apple puts in the 3.0 SDK. I'm hoping with the addition of video, they might also go through and give access to the phone's metering or put proper exif info in the photos. I still think that a halfway useful meter in my phone would be pretty great.

Old 04-16-2009   #33
Juancho
ProbabilisticPhotographer

Why don't you consider adapting a cell phone into a Weston Master?
Just a joke, good luck with the experiment.

Last edited by Juancho : 04-16-2009 at 17:57.

Old 04-24-2009   #34
Larky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Werts View Post
A friend and I were chatting recently about the possibilities of developing a "light meter" application for the iPhone and wondered if there would be enough interest to push something like this to the official iPhone App Store.

Would you use such application if it were available? What features would you require to make it useful for your photography routine?

Hey, if you need any help with dev or artwork let me know.

Old 06-08-2009   #35
SuitePhoto

Thought I would bump this thread back to the top b/c of Apple's announcement about the new iPhone today. Watching the MacRumors site for live updates, they mention that the new generation iPhone has a new camera, and developers will have access... Hmmm...

My RFF Gallery

Old 06-08-2009   #36
ampguy

I'd take a look at it, but wouldn't buy it. I only use free apps.

Old 06-08-2009   #37
umboody

Would be pretty difficult to program I'm guessing, but I presume it would be cheaper than getting a dedicated lightmeter. Wouldn't trust it for professional use though...

Old 06-13-2009   #38
brainwood
Registered Film User

My usual meter is my trusty weston V but I have often pondered the iphone exposure meter wish list myself.
In theory it sounds possible.. I am surprised no-one has yet written an application.
If I could save carrying an extra object in my pockets (leave behind the weston in favour of the iphone exposure meter) I would jump at the chance. So long as its acurate and reliable. I think thats the bottom line for me.

Old 06-13-2009   #39
Brad Maestas

I have been using some photo calc apps like DOFMaster and PhotoBuddy. I use PhotoBuddy quite a bit. Its exposure value conversion is particularly useful to me. But for reasons already mentioned, I would not hold my breath for any kind of reliable reflective TTL metering app being developed for the iPhone in the near future, at least not until they upgrade the dismal camera. Even after several favorable hardware/software updates, I think you'd still be hard-pressed to compete with a dedicated or in-camera metering unit. I think that having any kind of accuracy and reliablity is still a ways off. In the mean time I think we can expect to have several feeler apps released until things start to actually get serious.
Leitz Wetzlar Summicron 50mm f/2 DR
CV Nokton 50mm f/1.1
Olympus E-P1, 17/2.8+VF, 14-42
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fodera6

Old 06-13-2009   #40
Al Kaplan

At least once a year you'll get stuck learning the proper sequence of button pushing to read the light because if the battery gives up the ghost the phone store will talk you into a newer better phone. Then they'll stick you for thirty bucks for a car charger because they ALL use different plugs.

Have you ever seen a cell phone with an incident dome? My Weston Master V does everything I need and I don't have to turn it off at meetings.

On the Good News front I can now get away with walking down the street talking lovingly to my light meter and nobody thinks that I'm crazy. Hey! That's it! A light meter with a built in phone!

My Gallery

Last edited by Al Kaplan : 06-13-2009 at 17:40.

Old 07-12-2009   #41
Benjamin
Registered Snoozer

Sounds like a novel idea, and indeed not of a great deal of use to myself as I don't have an iPhone. It also seems like a good way to advertise something more worth mugging than a standard light meter, though I'm certain that if it was possible it would be useful to some people on some occassions..

Old 07-12-2009   #42
Armoured

I have been discussing this with a friend. The previous iphone did not seem to have anything more than a fixed aperture in the EXIF data; the new one provides a shutter speed, aperture (always the same) and ISO info. (You can download samples from macintouch's review of the 3GS. So it's quite likely this could only work with the 3GS.

I'd buy it in a second and use it frequently - I mean, not only would I buy the app, I'd probably upgrade my phone for this. I get by with sunny 16 when I don't have another camera, but I'm out of practice and make more mistakes.

Having it on the phone would mean one less thing to carry and make me much more likely to head out with one of my meterless cameras. I think for a lot of photographers with iphones this would be a killer app.

LightMeter App
Old 07-13-2009   #43
Quiqueck

Thumbs up LightMeter App

Well if you guys have an iPhone 3G-S, you could give LightMeter (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...320768222&mt=8) a chance.

Old 07-13-2009   #44
Benjamin
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiqueck View Post
Well if you guys have an iPhone 3G-S, you could give LightMeter (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...320768222&mt=8) a chance.
So, one already exists? What are you all talking about then?

Old 07-13-2009   #45
Bassism

Wow, just one more thing to make me want to buy a new iphone...
Ah well, my Gossen serves me well enough.

Benjamin, this app was only released yesterday, and only for those with the brand new hardware, so that's why the rest of us keep whining and hoping :P

Old 07-13-2009   #46
Benjamin
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassism View Post
Benjamin, this app was only released yesterday, and only for those with the brand new hardware, so that's why the rest of us keep whining and hoping :P
Oh okay I see. Still if you need a light meter though Bassim, you could buy one?

Old 07-13-2009   #47
Bassism

Well, I've actually got two....

My Gossen works way better than an iphone ever could, but I usually shoot meterless because it's such a hassle. If I could pull out my phone and take a reading, it'd be pretty convenient since my phone is always with me.

I also have to admit that I just like making my phone able to do more things :P

Old 07-13-2009   #48
ethics_gradient

For those that don't have iTunes, the app linked is only for the 3GS (latest model). You take a picture with the built-in camera and the phone gives you a combination aperture/shutter speed/ASA to choose for a "correct" exposure.

It's new and there aren't any reviews yet; if it turned out to work well (say, accurate enough for slide film) it would probably tip me over the edge into buying a 3GS even though I don't have any meter-less cameras at present. GPS for geotagging, DoF calculator, and a functional light meter would all be pretty handy to have in one's pocket (in addition to phone, MP3/video, web surfing, and other applications). I've been using a 32GB Touch since November and have been really enjoying it.

Old 07-14-2009   #49
Acliff

I just bought the application, and it works!
I was skeptical at first, but its very simple.

Column one Column two Column three
F-Number Shutter ISO

You select one to calculate and preset the other two settings.
Press the photo button, take a picture, retake, or use it for the meter reading. When you use it, it calculates and shows the new setting. At which point, it locks the exposure, and you can change any of the columns to find your ideal combination.

I have used it, and it seems to be accurate. This is a very rough opinion, as there are no guidance notes or even a webpage on the developer's site (who are the same people who made photobuddy), and I don't know the metering area is.
All I know so far is that compared to my Pentax K10D centre weighted metering, the light meter application, when metered at a similar angle of view, suggests exposures that are 0 to 1/3 over what the K10D suggests.
Given that the K10D tends towards slight underexposure, I am confident this would be accurante enough for my B&W photography.

Old 07-28-2009   #50
Rogier
Rogier Willems

Develop the app in such a way that you take a "picture" but only show a Histogram of the scene. Display a grid over this histogram representing "f" stops in 1/3 or 1/4th increments. Middle exposure is equal to S 1/125 / F11 Of course one can set the various ISO's.