Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Scanners / Scanner Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 05-20-2009   #26
visiondr
cyclic iconoclast
 
visiondr's Avatar
 
visiondr is offline
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,215
That's a classic straw man argument. No one on this thread has suggested that a single individual buying locally would have an impact on the global marketplace. Nor did anyone suggest that those purchasing decisions could or should derail global trade as it is.

However, thousands of individuals buying American made screwdrivers, for example, would make a huge difference to the fortunes of an American tool manufacturer, its materials suppliers and the company's employees and families. Some people are just naive enough to be willing to pay a premium to buy an American made screwdriver from a local hardware store than a similar tool made in a low wage country and sold through a big box retailer. In the end, the former transaction supports living wage jobs here while the latter does much less. It's a big part of the reason why personal income tax cuts don't stimulate the US economy as much as they used to. People today buy stuff with those tax savings, yes, but they spend that money on stuff that does little for their domestic economy.
__________________
Ron


“The enemy of art is the absence of limitations.”
Orson Welles

flickr (visiondrawn)


Last edited by visiondr : 05-20-2009 at 11:44.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2009   #27
Al Kaplan
Registered User
 
Al Kaplan is offline
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Miami, FL
Age: 71
Posts: 4,481
The little neighborhood hardware store was replaced by Home Depot a mile away. Howard's drugs up the street, owned by the pharmacist himself, gave way to a Walgreens a block away, so Walgreens also put the independant One-Hour lab out of business. 7-11 did in the neighborhood independant grocers. A significant amount of things I used to get at K-Mart can be bought for less at a "Dollar Store", and K-Mart had already put lots of small businesses out of business.

But go back to the period between WW-I and WW-II, The Great Depression, that strangled the world economy. Companies like S.S. Kresge and Woolworth came up with the concept variously refered to as the Five & Ten or Five and Dime. Figuring for inflation, they were the "dollar stores" of their day. They didn't sell cheap Chinese merchandise either. They sold inexpensive items marked "Made In Japan". Yup, Japanese goods at one time carried the same stigma of shoddy quality as Chinese poroducts do today.

In the end it's a chicken and egg conundrum. Which is better? The availability of low priced goods? The availability of good paying jobs? You can have both for awhile, but at some point you gotta pay the piper. That's called a recession when the landlord throws you out. They call it a depression when the bank takes posession of your house.
__________________
RIP

My Gallery
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2009   #28
Justin Smith
Registered User
 
Justin Smith is offline
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Kaplan View Post
In the end it's a chicken and egg conundrum. Which is better? The availability of low priced goods? The availability of good paying jobs? You can have both for awhile, but at some point you gotta pay the piper.
Exactly. Global trade is much more complicated than many would let on, and emotion also comes into play. I want to support small business when I can, but on a national level my household is probably lower-middle class in terms of income. I don't feel deprived, but I have a lot of necessities competing for my dollar. If I can save a significant amount on something at Wal-Mart, I'm going to buy it there.

And, it's not all about saving a buck. My local Wal-Mart lab gives me consistently better scans than the ones I used to get from the local 1 Hour place (which were covered with dust).
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2009   #29
chippy
foo was here
 
chippy's Avatar
 
chippy is offline
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35mmdelux View Post

Here too, $1.50 per roll of 120 and $5 for my kodachromes keeps me rubbing elbows with the likes. Where do they get such a collection? LOL.
WOW, thats incredible! for colour? i think it would be more economical for me to send my film over there! do they offer a postal service

we pay about A$10 just for the processing, no proofs or scans etc, with the exchange rate ATM thats around $7-$7.50US....E6 is about A$11-12
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2009   #30
cklammer
Registered User
 
cklammer's Avatar
 
cklammer is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 21
The way this thread's post subjects are varying it is probably time for a forum administrator to move into the "General Discussion" or "Off Topic" forums.

This thread has nothing to do with fixed lens RFs at all ...

cklammer
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2009   #31
Al Kaplan
Registered User
 
Al Kaplan is offline
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Miami, FL
Age: 71
Posts: 4,481
Maybe it has nothing to do with fixed lens rangefinders because the thread is about scanners and scanning.
__________________
RIP

My Gallery
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2009   #32
pachuco
El Dude
 
pachuco's Avatar
 
pachuco is offline
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 728
How small are these scanners? Would they be good for travel?
__________________
Now an ordained Dudeist Priest

Website: www.jcdphoto.com


flickr



  Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2009   #33
shadowfox
Personal Photography
 
shadowfox's Avatar
 
shadowfox is offline
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by visiondr View Post
That's a classic straw man argument. No one on this thread has suggested that a single individual buying locally would have an impact on the global marketplace. Nor did anyone suggest that those purchasing decisions could or should derail global trade as it is.

However, thousands of individuals buying American made screwdrivers, for example, would make a huge difference to the fortunes of an American tool manufacturer, its materials suppliers and the company's employees and families. Some people are just naive enough to be willing to pay a premium to buy an American made screwdriver from a local hardware store than a similar tool made in a low wage country and sold through a big box retailer. In the end, the former transaction supports living wage jobs here while the latter does much less. It's a big part of the reason why personal income tax cuts don't stimulate the US economy as much as they used to. People today buy stuff with those tax savings, yes, but they spend that money on stuff that does little for their domestic economy.
No straw-man here, I am simply pointing out that a rhetoric statements about reversing a global trend that is fueled by one of the most basic human nature (greed) is not realistic nor helpful.

Especially if you count on the said human (people) to achieve it.
__________________
Have a good light,
Will


  Reply With Quote

Meandering
Old 05-21-2009   #34
cklammer
Registered User
 
cklammer's Avatar
 
cklammer is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 21
Meandering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Kaplan View Post
Maybe it has nothing to do with fixed lens rangefinders because the thread is about scanners and scanning.
Then why it was started in the "fixed lens rf" forum in the first place ?

As to the thread subjects: it started with el cheapo wallie scanners and then meandered to subjects like made in china, international trade balances, forum thread subjects assignements ...

cklammer
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2009   #35
cklammer
Registered User
 
cklammer's Avatar
 
cklammer is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by reagan View Post
.... boorish, self-absorbed, lifeless pretenders.
Well said - but you are too nice, reagan. Here are my 0.02$: Arrogant pricks!

cklammer
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2009   #36
Al Kaplan
Registered User
 
Al Kaplan is offline
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Miami, FL
Age: 71
Posts: 4,481
Be nice or we'll all switch to ethanol and folks in the UAE won't be able to afford Chinese made goods.
__________________
RIP

My Gallery
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2009   #37
Solinar
Analog Preferred
 
Solinar's Avatar
 
Solinar is offline
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,153
I'm not familiar with the Walmart unit, but a slide duplicator used to look like - this.

The idea would be to use your digital SLR. I also noticed that B&H has some less expensive set ups that look like - this.

I need to check whether we still have our older Beseler unit at work.
__________________
- Andrew in Austin, Texas -

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear Oly 35RC, 35RD and a XA
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders Mess Ikonta 524/2, a Bessa II, an Agfa Super Isolette & Record III
Digital a D300 with some primes

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Last edited by Solinar : 05-21-2009 at 14:15.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2009   #38
David Murphy
Registered User
 
David Murphy's Avatar
 
David Murphy is offline
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: California
Age: 58
Posts: 2,153
Actually the US is still a very competitive tool maker in the quality market. They compete with other high-end tool manufacturers: in Japan and Germany for instance. I buy US tools when I can at work (someone else is paying the bill). Starrett, Proto, Craftsman, Allen, Hass, Browne and Sharpe, and many others -- it's a long and glorious list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by visiondr View Post
That's a classic straw man argument. No one on this thread has suggested that a single individual buying locally would have an impact on the global marketplace. Nor did anyone suggest that those purchasing decisions could or should derail global trade as it is.

However, thousands of individuals buying American made screwdrivers, for example, would make a huge difference to the fortunes of an American tool manufacturer, its materials suppliers and the company's employees and families. Some people are just naive enough to be willing to pay a premium to buy an American made screwdriver from a local hardware store than a similar tool made in a low wage country and sold through a big box retailer. In the end, the former transaction supports living wage jobs here while the latter does much less. It's a big part of the reason why personal income tax cuts don't stimulate the US economy as much as they used to. People today buy stuff with those tax savings, yes, but they spend that money on stuff that does little for their domestic economy.
__________________
Contax IIIa, Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex T, Canon Ftb QL, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K, Yashica Mat LM

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:29.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.