Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Scanners / Scanner Software

Old 05-20-2009   #26
visiondr
cyclic iconoclast

That's a classic straw man argument. No one on this thread has suggested that a single individual buying locally would have an impact on the global marketplace. Nor did anyone suggest that those purchasing decisions could or should derail global trade as it is.

However, thousands of individuals buying American made screwdrivers, for example, would make a huge difference to the fortunes of an American tool manufacturer, its materials suppliers and the company's employees and families. Some people are just naive enough to be willing to pay a premium to buy an American made screwdriver from a local hardware store than a similar tool made in a low wage country and sold through a big box retailer. In the end, the former transaction supports living wage jobs here while the latter does much less. It's a big part of the reason why personal income tax cuts don't stimulate the US economy as much as they used to. People today buy stuff with those tax savings, yes, but they spend that money on stuff that does little for their domestic economy.

“The enemy of art is the absence of limitations.”
Orson Welles

flickr (visiondrawn)

Last edited by visiondr : 05-20-2009 at 11:44.

Old 05-20-2009   #27
Al Kaplan

The little neighborhood hardware store was replaced by Home Depot a mile away. Howard's drugs up the street, owned by the pharmacist himself, gave way to a Walgreens a block away, so Walgreens also put the independant One-Hour lab out of business. 7-11 did in the neighborhood independant grocers. A significant amount of things I used to get at K-Mart can be bought for less at a "Dollar Store", and K-Mart had already put lots of small businesses out of business.

But go back to the period between WW-I and WW-II, The Great Depression, that strangled the world economy. Companies like S.S. Kresge and Woolworth came up with the concept variously refered to as the Five & Ten or Five and Dime. Figuring for inflation, they were the "dollar stores" of their day. They didn't sell cheap Chinese merchandise either. They sold inexpensive items marked "Made In Japan". Yup, Japanese goods at one time carried the same stigma of shoddy quality as Chinese poroducts do today.

In the end it's a chicken and egg conundrum. Which is better? The availability of low priced goods? The availability of good paying jobs? You can have both for awhile, but at some point you gotta pay the piper. That's called a recession when the landlord throws you out. They call it a depression when the bank takes posession of your house.

My Gallery

Old 05-20-2009   #28
Justin Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Kaplan View Post
In the end it's a chicken and egg conundrum. Which is better? The availability of low priced goods? The availability of good paying jobs? You can have both for awhile, but at some point you gotta pay the piper.
Exactly. Global trade is much more complicated than many would let on, and emotion also comes into play. I want to support small business when I can, but on a national level my household is probably lower-middle class in terms of income. I don't feel deprived, but I have a lot of necessities competing for my dollar. If I can save a significant amount on something at Wal-Mart, I'm going to buy it there.

And, it's not all about saving a buck. My local Wal-Mart lab gives me consistently better scans than the ones I used to get from the local 1 Hour place (which were covered with dust).

Old 05-20-2009   #29
chippy
foo was here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35mmdelux View Post

Here too, $1.50 per roll of 120 and $5 for my kodachromes keeps me rubbing elbows with the likes. Where do they get such a collection? LOL.
WOW, thats incredible! for colour? i think it would be more economical for me to send my film over there! do they offer a postal service

we pay about A$10 just for the processing, no proofs or scans etc, with the exchange rate ATM thats around $7-$7.50US....E6 is about A$11-12

Old 05-20-2009   #30
cklammer

The way this thread's post subjects are varying it is probably time for a forum administrator to move into the "General Discussion" or "Off Topic" forums.

This thread has nothing to do with fixed lens RFs at all ...

cklammer

Old 05-20-2009   #31
Al Kaplan

Maybe it has nothing to do with fixed lens rangefinders because the thread is about scanners and scanning.

My Gallery

Old 05-20-2009   #32
pachuco
El Dude

How small are these scanners? Would they be good for travel?

flickr

Old 05-21-2009   #33
shadowfox
Personal Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by visiondr View Post
That's a classic straw man argument. No one on this thread has suggested that a single individual buying locally would have an impact on the global marketplace. Nor did anyone suggest that those purchasing decisions could or should derail global trade as it is.

However, thousands of individuals buying American made screwdrivers, for example, would make a huge difference to the fortunes of an American tool manufacturer, its materials suppliers and the company's employees and families. Some people are just naive enough to be willing to pay a premium to buy an American made screwdriver from a local hardware store than a similar tool made in a low wage country and sold through a big box retailer. In the end, the former transaction supports living wage jobs here while the latter does much less. It's a big part of the reason why personal income tax cuts don't stimulate the US economy as much as they used to. People today buy stuff with those tax savings, yes, but they spend that money on stuff that does little for their domestic economy.
No straw-man here, I am simply pointing out that a rhetoric statements about reversing a global trend that is fueled by one of the most basic human nature (greed) is not realistic nor helpful.

Especially if you count on the said human (people) to achieve it.

Meandering
Old 05-21-2009   #34
cklammer

Meandering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Kaplan View Post
Maybe it has nothing to do with fixed lens rangefinders because the thread is about scanners and scanning.
Then why it was started in the "fixed lens rf" forum in the first place ?

As to the thread subjects: it started with el cheapo wallie scanners and then meandered to subjects like made in china, international trade balances, forum thread subjects assignements ...

cklammer

Old 05-21-2009   #35
cklammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reagan View Post
.... boorish, self-absorbed, lifeless pretenders.
Well said - but you are too nice, reagan. Here are my 0.02$: Arrogant pricks!

cklammer

Old 05-21-2009   #36
Al Kaplan

Be nice or we'll all switch to ethanol and folks in the UAE won't be able to afford Chinese made goods.

My Gallery

Old 05-21-2009   #37
Solinar
Analog Preferred

I'm not familiar with the Walmart unit, but a slide duplicator used to look like - this.

The idea would be to use your digital SLR. I also noticed that B&H has some less expensive set ups that look like - this.

I need to check whether we still have our older Beseler unit at work.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear Oly 35RC, 35RD and a XA
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders Mess Ikonta 524/2, a Bessa II, an Agfa Super Isolette & Record III
Digital a D300 with some primes

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Last edited by Solinar : 05-21-2009 at 14:15.

Old 05-21-2009   #38
David Murphy

Actually the US is still a very competitive tool maker in the quality market. They compete with other high-end tool manufacturers: in Japan and Germany for instance. I buy US tools when I can at work (someone else is paying the bill). Starrett, Proto, Craftsman, Allen, Hass, Browne and Sharpe, and many others -- it's a long and glorious list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by visiondr View Post

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com