Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Photo Books / Mags / Articles / Blogs

Photo Books / Mags / Articles / Blogs This is the place to talk about Photo Books, Photography Magazines, Photography Articles, as well as specialized Photo booksellers. Some books are a lot better than others, so it really does make a difference which ones you buy!

Robin Perry
Old 02-08-2009   #1
feenej

Robin Perry

I am reading Photography for the Professionals, 1977, Robin Perry. He says that being a good businessman and salesman are more important than photographic skills in making it as a photographer. No photos in the book except one of the author, on the back dust jacket, looking flamboyant in a beret and sporting an OM-1. Anybody remember this guy?

Old 02-08-2009   #2
John Lawrence

If it's the person I think it is (Robin Livingston Perry) then I believe he died in 2005. If I remember rightly he was a pro photographer and authored a number of books on the subject back in the 1970s. My local library at the time had a number of them.

I've got a vague idea he lived / worked somewhere near Al Kaplan (I could be wrong though..), so he may know more.

Old 02-08-2009   #3
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

I remember him.
a white haired tall skinny coot with a groovy beret, an early OM system user.

Robin Perry
Old 04-10-2009   #4
nhirsch

Robin Perry

I remember Robin Perry. When I knew him, he usually wore black leather tight pants and had a shaven bald head. He'd often have a beret in his pictures like sitting under a tree in lotus position but I don't recall him wearing his beret in the few instances I knew him. Robin originally used the Pentax 6x7 and later switched to OM1 system. He had nice house and a photographic development area in his house where he did his own work. He was a commercial photographer and he also liked motorcycles. He made a practice of marrying his models for brief periods. I think when I knew him he was inbetween wife 5 and 6. My dog, an English setter, went running around in his house one day and the wagging tail knocked off a Steuben glass dolphin that was sitting on a table and it fell to floor and shattered. I later gave him a replacement. Robin told me he was a photo interpreter for the missile silos shown in photographs taken over Cuba during the missile crisis. I believe there was a movie of that in which someone played his part. I brought an attractive young lady to his house one day and he took some pictures of her on his couch. I remember he gave her something to hold and asked her to look at camera with the thought that what she was holding was a man's penis. This was to get some blush on her face and make her look provocative. I suppose that's often done but it was a new experience to me.
I don't know anything more about Robin, whether he is alive or not. I hope so, and if so, Hi Robin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lawrence View Post
If it's the person I think it is (Robin Livingston Perry) then I believe he died in 2005. If I remember rightly he was a pro photographer and authored a number of books on the subject back in the 1970s. My local library at the time had a number of them.

I've got a vague idea he lived / worked somewhere near Al Kaplan (I could be wrong though..), so he may know more.