Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

dateing rollei filters
Old 03-23-2009   #1
joachim
Convicted Ektachome user

dateing rollei filters

Hi,

I got a few Rollei Bay I attachments from ebay and used dealer recently. Anyone got an idea how to date these?

I noticed some are coated others aren't. Some have the filter factor engraved others not. Some have a red "R" engraved others not. Some have the diameter 28.5 engraved instead.

Also there these black plastic containers and the leather ones.

Anyone has a clue how these things could be used to date filters?

Thanks
Joachim

Old 03-24-2009   #2
joachim
Convicted Ektachome user

Nobody? Come on, can't be that no-one here has at least a rough idea how the Rollei filters and their cases changed with time.

Old 03-24-2009   #3
rogue_designer
Reciprocity Failure

frankly, it never occurred to me. Never cared how to date my Rollei accessories. *shrug*

You might check with a serious Rollei collector and seller. Maybe somebody like Manfred Schmidt (who is a very nice and helpful guy) will have some resources along those lines.
http://www.manfredschmidt.com/

---
My RFF Gallery | My Flickr | StreetLevel Photography

Old 03-24-2009   #4
Gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_designer View Post
frankly, it never occurred to me. Never cared how to date my Rollei accessories. *shrug*
Me neither. But I think the accessories with '28.5' are the older ones.

Also, the Rolleikin I, with the separate back, is older than the Rolleikin II... but that should be rather obvious.

Also, also, the panorama head with the large base for holding the camera is older than the panorama head with the small base.

Old 03-25-2009   #5
joachim
Convicted Ektachome user

Hi,

thanks for the replies. Perhaps to clarify why I am asking, I am quite keen on coated filters, but many ebay sellers do not know or can't be asked to tell you whether a filter is or isn't coated. So I am keen to be able from the
  • engravings
  • kind of case
  • else
to figure whether a filter is likely to be coated or not. Perhaps I should have asked my question this way right away.

So far I just took my chances and sometimes I was lucky and other times I wasn't.

The comment that filters marked 28.5 are pretty old seems to make sense. None of these is coated.

Other comments? -Ta-

Last edited by joachim : 03-25-2009 at 12:59. Reason: typos

Old 03-25-2009   #6
Gumby

I haven't looked at them in a while, but I don't think any of my Rollei filters, no matter how old or new, are coated.

Old 03-25-2009   #7
joachim
Convicted Ektachome user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I haven't looked at them in a while, but I don't think any of my Rollei filters, no matter how old or new, are coated.
My yellow, H1 and my Rolleinar 2 are definitely coated. My Rolleinar is definitely not and the rest I am not sure.