Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Coffee With Mentors > Tom Abrahamsson of RapidWinder.com

Tom Abrahamsson of RapidWinder.com It is almost never that an inventor improves on a Leica product so that it is better than the original Leica product. Tom holds that distinction with his RapidWinder for Leica M rangefinders -- a bottom mounting baseplate trigger advance. In addition Tom manufacturers other Leica accessories such as his very popular Soft Release and MiniSoftRelease shutter releases. Tom is well known as one of the true Leica rangefinder experts, even by Leica. IMPORTANT READ THIS: CWE Forum hosts have moderation powers within their forum. Please observe copyright laws by not copying and posting their material elsewhere without permission.

Frame-Lines???
Old 11-14-2009   #1
LeicaVirgin1

Frame-Lines???

Dear Tom-

Thanks again for reading another one of my post. My question is: My M6, (classic), has a frame-line issue. Whenever you put a 50mm/5cm Lens on the M camera the 35mm Frame line is faintly seen in the VF. This does not happen on other focal lengths.

The 50mm Frame is, of course, most dominant. Should I make the investment to get it repaired?

Best,

LV1

Old 11-14-2009   #2
Al Kaplan

That wouldn't be an investment so much as a waste of money.

My Gallery

Old 11-14-2009   #3
Pablito
coco frío

Wouldn't that depend on how much it bothered you and how much it would cost to get it fixed? Only you can decide.

Old 11-14-2009   #4
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

Most likely the frame-line actuator in the lens mount is getting "sticky". You can try to move it and give it some exercise. Looking at the lens mount you can see the lever at the 3 a clock position - poke at it (carefully) with a small screwdriver or a toothpick.
It could also depend on the lens you are using - the "bayonet claw" which engages the selector can be different from lens to lens - and from manufacturer to manufacturer. The 35 setting is the "no lens" setting and if your 50 has to short a cam - it will engage both lines. Occasionally a bit of an extra "push" when you mount the 50 is enough. You can also try to put a bit of tape on the claw end that engages the cam - this will tell you if it is in the lens or in the mechanism in the camera. It is not a big deal to fix - but it is a bit of an irritant when you have both lines showing.