Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

OM, I've become a Zuikoholic!
Old 10-03-2009   #1
pggunn
gregor

OM, I've become a Zuikoholic!

I've been reading threads here from all you dedicated OM users, looking at your photos, and a whole bunch on Flickr with the appropriate tags. At first I was interested, then intrigued, and finally obsessed! I knew I couldn't rest until I found an OM1 or OM2.

Today, was the Greensboro Camera Show. There were buyers, sellers and traders there, including KEH. I left there with a black OM1md that looks almost brand new. It had just been CLA'ed which included a battery conversion job. I also picked up a chrome OM2 that's not quite as pretty but it was just CLA'ed too and works great.

The guy's name was Tom Actipes, a nice guy. He's from Illinois I think. He and his wife have a business called TAANA Photography. He also had a bunch of Pentax stuff, K1000's and LX's, ME's, MX's - but I had to have the OM's!

Unfortunately, there were no Zuiko lenses except for a few 50/1.8's. The OM2 I bought came with a 50/1.8 so I did get to shoot some this afternoon. Even though I was the third customer in the door, the dealers were there an hour before they let us in, and a buyer from Brooklyn Camera beat me to the other Olympus stuff. He walked out of there with a ton of Olympus bodies and lenses, including some 50/1.2's and 1.4's, 28's, 35's and 85's. D'oh!

But I do have a 50/1.4 (LN, in box) with a serial number well over 1,100,000 on the way from KEH. I'm also looking for a 28/2 and thinking about going with a two bodies, two lenses system. Of course I may need an 85 for a portrait lens, so maybe I'll have to get another OM!

I'll post some photos once I've shot a few rolls. My thanks to all you OM enthusiasts here! I've learned a lot from reading your posts. You've really inspired me, and after spending an afternoon with the OM2 I couldn't be happier. It feels so much better than the huge freaking DSLR and zooms I was using, but guess what - I also got a great deal on an E-520 with kit lens, and still had enough left over to make a car payment after selling my K20D and lenses! Maybe I don't deserve it, but I'll take it! What a weekend!

Old 10-03-2009   #2
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

We (the Church of Maitani) are here to convert ... er, serve. Want a 24/2.8?

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Welcome!
Old 10-03-2009   #3
venchka

Cool Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trius View Post
We (the Church of Maitani) are here to convert ... er, serve. Want a 24/2.8?
The Church of Rodinal is just next door.
"Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" Kimi Raikkonen
My Gallery
My Blog-Reborn
FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Old 10-03-2009   #4
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venchka View Post
The Church of Rodinal is just next door.
Stop making fun of our Gods, or we'll have to sacrifice you!

Back home again in Indiana

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Technical Info pages: Film Developing times, scanning, printing, editing.

Like My Work on Facebook

Old 10-03-2009   #5
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I and a lot of others can't say enough nice things about the OM series ... so congrats on joining the throng!

We are also very lucky in having John from Camtech on board who often chips in with advice in OM threads. He recently gave my OM-1 the once over and it's now as smooth as silk with a dead accurate meter and perfect frame spacing ... it truly is a pleasure to use!

'The Church of Maitani' ... I like that.

flickr

Old 10-03-2009   #6
pggunn
gregor

Thanks Keith and Trius. Yes, I like that too - the Church of Maitani! Resistance is futile, I've been assimilated.

Trius, I would be interested in a 28/2.8, but may have a 28/2 coming from a contact at the camera show. I won't know whether it came through until Monday. Should I let you know?

Keith, yes we are fortunate to have John on this forum. I've noticed how knowledgeable he is and how helpful he's been with members who've had problems with OM gear. Whenever I need any repairs or a CLA, he will definitely be the man.

And I must say that in general everyone here has been helpful and friendly. This is a great forum. I'm very grateful.

Take care all.

Old 10-03-2009   #7
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggunn View Post
Thanks Keith and Trius. Yes, I like that too - the Church of Maitani! Resistance is futile, I've been assimilated.

Trius, I would be interested in a 28/2.8, but may have a 28/2 coming from a contact at the camera show. I won't know whether it came through until Monday. Should I let you know?

Keith, yes we are fortunate to have John on this forum. I've noticed how knowledgeable he is and how helpful he's been with members who've had problems with OM gear. Whenever I need any repairs or a CLA, he will definitely be the man.

And I must say that in general everyone here has been helpful and friendly. This is a great forum. I'm very grateful.

Take care all.

We are very civilised in the 'Evil SLR' forum ... nothing to argue about really because it's common knowledge that the OM system is the best!

Can get a bit rough in the 'M' forums at times though! :

flickr

Old 10-03-2009   #8
helenhill_HH
a member of the MOD squad

Cooool...& Congrats
there is Something very ADDICTIVE to the OM 'Experience'

my M gets very JEALOUS of HER...

Hexar AF ~ Leica M4-2 ~ 35 Summaron , 50 Summicron

Old 10-03-2009   #9
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Keith: It's actually more of a zendo, but I wasn't sure how many would understand. There's always Wikipedia, I suppose ...

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 10-03-2009   #10
Pickett Wilson

When I did camera shows, I always bought a table and sold some stuff. The "before the show" buying and selling among the sellers skimmed the best stuff off the top before the public got to see any of it.

Old 10-03-2009   #11
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Welcome to the club! I got started in photography as a little kid using my dad's olympus SLR. The 50/1.4 with the high serial is an incredible lens, you'll love it. You might look at the 100mm f2.8 as an inexpensive alternative to the high priced 85. The 10/2.8 typically goes for under $100 in nice condition, while the 85 typically goes for $300+. The 100 is sharper and has nicer rendering of out of focus areas, with the slight disadvantage of one stop less speed and a little longer focal length.

Both shots with the 100. Both shot at about f5.6

Back home again in Indiana

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Technical Info pages: Film Developing times, scanning, printing, editing.

Like My Work on Facebook

Old 10-03-2009   #12
pggunn
gregor

Hi Helen. I think you're right. The OM experience is very seductive.

Pickett, I'm sure. That buyer from Brooklyn had half a table covered with Olympus gear he bought before the show opened. Must have been a dozen bodies and three times as many lenses, many in original boxes. I found it interesting that he only bought OM. He was not interested in selling to me either. Maybe he already has buyers lined up?

Hello Chris. Thanks for the advice. The 100 sounds good and at one third the price even better. I remebered that you had said something along those lines in a previous post, but I got it backwards. And great portraits you have there. I've admired your work here. I understand you and Olympus go way back. I appreciate your advice. It was also a post of yours that clued me in to the superiority of the 50/1.4 with serial numbers > 1,100,000. Later I found this site's OM lens tests:

http://web.archive.org/web/200712050...ts/default.htm

Thanks again. It's nice getting to know you all.

Old 10-03-2009   #13
snausages

Welcome to the party.

My OM journey started shortly after I got my Leica. I brought my M6 on a trip. My girlfriend brought her dad's OM4ti. When I processed the negs and saw how well the Zuiko 50 1.8 had held up to a Summilux I was both impressed and mortified (what'd I spend that 2k for again?). So I built the two systems side by side and with some masterful guidance from Chris Crawford am now extremely happy with the M & OM marriage.

Last edited by snausages : 10-03-2009 at 20:45.

Old 10-03-2009   #14
payasam
a.k.a. Mukul Dube

Olympus have an impeccable history in optics, and the OM1 was something of a revolution when it came out in the early 1970s.
RFF gallery
Flickr gallery

Old 10-03-2009   #15
venchka

Fun? It's the Gospel Truth!
"Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" Kimi Raikkonen
My Gallery
My Blog-Reborn
FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Old 10-03-2009   #16
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Another OM fan here. I used them for a short while back before I went Leica in the early 80s; I'm having a blast with them now!

I'm a fan of a two body / two lens kit concept, too.

M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M
28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
X100s, NEX-7, N1V1, oodles of filthy Nikon SLRs and DSLRs, some OM gear, an XA, Retinas, a 4x5 and a lonely 500C/M

Old 10-04-2009   #17
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

Another one here. I've got two OM-1n bodies, one black, one chrome. I just picked a 35mm/2.8 at a camera swap that's joining other 4 lenses.

Now I'm looking for a 2nd black OM-1 or OM-1n body...

b/w japanese dude.

flickr | RFF Gallery | @SuguruN | Sug on G+ | Portfolio (beta)

Last edited by coelacanth : 10-04-2009 at 01:09.

Old 10-04-2009   #18
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I think last count I was up to three OM bodies and eleven lenses:

A silver OM-1, a black OM-1 and a silver OM-2 ... still room for a black OM-2 though yet in my opinion!

flickr

Old 10-04-2009   #19
HuubL
hunter-gatherer

Ditto... I've recently been converted by my OM-2n. And that 100 2.8 indeed is a gem!

Does anyone see a pattern emerging here?
Old 10-04-2009   #20
carlb

Does anyone see a pattern emerging here?

I'm yet another huge fan of the OM's. First it was an OM 1, then another, and then a body that I bought for parts was able to be brought back to life. The last two are currently getting overhauled by John, so once they arrive back I'll have 3 serviceable bodies that should hopefully outlast me.

Oh, and there's the OM 2n that was too good a deal to pass up . While the ergonomics are different to the standard set-up from other makers, they actually work very well in practice. And the viewfinders are just amazing.

I'm seriously tempted by a 3 and a 4, even though I don't need any more bodies

Old 10-04-2009   #21
ruben
Legacy loyalist

And then, just for the record, there is the digital planet for OM Zuikos. There widest aperture lenses are the most practical.

Cheers,
Ruben

Old 10-04-2009   #22
ColinW
* Click *

Welcome.

The good/bad news is this is just the start. GAS is bad but OM GAS is frightening. I started many years ago with an OM10, progressed to an OM20... then another, got an OM40 (which I have strange fascination for! )... then another, then a OM2SP (currently critical ) and my main man is now my OM4. And I still have them all!

When folks say 'You have 7?!!', I usually reply 'Yeah, and counting...'. But if you think that's a lot, it's NOTHING compared to some on here, and it probably won't be long until you overtake it yourself.

Enjoy

Old 10-04-2009   #23
FrankS

Anyone looking for OM cameras and lenses, check the RFF classifieds.

(connection to seller )

For myself, I'm keeping a black OM1, a chrome OM1, a chrome OM2, 28mm (both 2.8 and 3.5) a 50f1.8 MIJ, 100 f2.8, and 135 f3.5. I'm hoping the 50f1.4 doesn't sell, 'cus I'd like to keep it too.

Last edited by FrankS : 10-04-2009 at 06:01.

Old 10-04-2009   #24
wgerrard

Took my OM-2N (black, Keith) out for a walk yesterday, accompanied by a Zuiko 35/2. As always, a pleasant time. Welcome to the collective, Gregor. See you in the regeneration chambers.

Old 10-04-2009   #25
pggunn
gregor

Wow! It's great to hear from so many OMbudsmen!

snausages2000, I love that photo. Wonderful color combination and composition. Impressionistic. Beautiful.

Payasam, I've really enjoyed reading up on the history of Om and Maitani. Truly revolutionary!

Venchka, I haven't been in a darkroom in over twenty years, and don't have the facilities or room now, but thinking about a changing bag, reels, etc. I think it's in my near future.

Ken, Coelacanth: Yeah, I think the two lens, two body concept is the way to go for street and event photograpy, journalism, etc., but with OM GAS, I may need to hire a porter in the future! I'm wondering if Keith keeps an extra body and lens under his hat! Maybe I should start wearing one anyway since it looks like I'm going to lose all my hair before it has a chance to turn grey! The money I'll save on haircuts will go towards more film.

Hi Ruben. I've thought about that. When I get a 24 I may also get an adapter so I can use it on the E-520 now and then. I'm impressed with the image quality it delivers in such a small package. The metering system is great and the kit lens is pretty sharp.

Take care all. I'm going out this afternoon and burn a few rolls of film.