Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Coffee With Mentors > Canon Rangefinders - Peter Dechert and Peter Kitchingman

Canon Rangefinders - Peter Dechert and Peter Kitchingman Peter Dechert is best known for his Canon Rangefinder, Canon SLR, and Olympus Pen books, the latter two long out-of-print. He was a monthly columnist for many years for SHUTTERBUG magazine, and has contributed to many others. Most recently he has written about the pre-WW2 Zeiss 35mm cameras, but his interests in camera equipment and optics are many and varied. As a pro protographer and honorary life member of ASMP, Peter is also expert in using the gear! Peter Kitchingman - author of Canon Rangefinder Lens book Peter Kitchingman's 'Canon M39 Rangefinder Lenses 1939-71' book is the definitive source on these very interesting optics. His interests also go to the entire Canon Rangefinder system and beyond.

Identify this lens?
Old 03-09-2009   #1
Brad Bireley

Identify this lens?

Can anyone tell me about this lens?
Thank you!
Brad

Old 03-09-2009   #2
ZeissFan

Looks like the Soviet knock-off of the f/1.5 50mm Sonnar.

Old 03-09-2009   #3
jarski

perhaps early Jupiter 3 ? cant explain the serial. it usually had first two digits indicating the year of production.

Old 03-09-2009   #4
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

There are faked early J-3's, the ones that had real Zeiss glass in them.
That one might be real from the ears on the aperture ring, but the fake ones might even duplicate that feature.

Old 03-09-2009   #5
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Yep. I've run across one of them before on a FED, which makes it even more likely that it is a discreetly unlabelled export Jupiter-3. I'd lean towards a fake, though, as the ears show lots of wear while the front ring (which should be in a much worse state) is as new...

Old 03-10-2009   #6
tvagi

at first sight i would say that it is a KMZ lens,seen by the logo.
this logo with the two digits at both sides where familiar to me.i had seen it somewhere else!early FED-ZORKI or something like that.
but why try at all?i opened the "Princelle's Guide"!p.144 first lens on top left!
made from 1948-1950(coated) on FED-ZORKI
there is also a Z.K. 2/5cm collapsible, "copy of,or relabeled Zeiss-Sonnar.....".
it is an early J-3.
the name J-3 was used for the same lens after 1951.

Last edited by tvagi : 03-10-2009 at 01:21.

Old 03-10-2009   #7
dexdog
sans bokeh

I believe that the ZK stands for Sonnar Krasnogorsk, i.e., the Soviet-made copy of the Zeiss Sonnar, built in Krasnogorsk, a couple hours outside Moscow. Probably pretty nice lens. There is a cottage industry in FSU faking ZKs because they sell for a lot more money than a standard J-3

Old 03-10-2009   #8
Brian Sweeney

It is probably a ZK as stated by Dexdog- Has German parts, but a transitional lens to the J-3. Only one way to really find out- and that is to take the optics module out of the focus mount and have a look at the material used. and while you are at it, take of the focus ring and look at the mechanism for the helical. The mechanism for the German LTM Sonnar, very early Russian, and J-3 is much different.

http://ziforums.com/showthread.php?t=224

I've recently taken on rebuilding Five "unusual" Sonnars. It's my guess that some are Russian assembled from German parts, and others are Russian copies from the German designs. One is just strange. I've posted two so far, will be putting up three more.
The ZK lenses are reputed to be very good. I had one 1950 J-3 that was just "wrong" optically. The mount was much too long, the focal length was off.

Old 03-10-2009   #9
dexdog
sans bokeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Sweeney View Post

I've recently taken on rebuilding Five "unusual" Sonnars. It's my guess that some are Russian assembled from German parts, and others are Russian copies from the German designs. One is just strange. I've posted two so far, will be putting up three more.
The ZK lenses are reputed to be very good. I had one 1950 J-3 that was just "wrong" optically. The mount was much too long, the focal length was off.
Brian, I have a Sonnar that looks a lot like the one you have described as czj2 in the ZIforum.

I took it apart to look at the guts, and posted pics on RFF- http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...t=62428&page=2 . The consensus seems to be that my lens began life as a ZK assembled of Zeiss parts, but was rebadged as a war-time Sonnar.

Have you ever seen initials scratched into the inner workings of any of your lenses, like the "HF" scratched on the lens in #22 of the above RFF thread?

Old 01-08-2010   #10
raid
Dad Photographer

Brian and Mark,
How can I tell whether a ZK is genuine or not without opening it up?

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/