Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Bigger than 35 RF's > Voigtlander Bessa III / III Wide

Voigtlander Bessa III / III Wide Celebrating the two modern Voigtlander 120 film cameras, the 667 Bessa III and Bessa III Wide.

View Poll Results: mamiya 7 users, are you going to buy the fuji gf670?
yes 23 14.20%
no 107 66.05%
maybe 32 19.75%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

mamiya 7 users going to buy new fuji?
Old 02-08-2009   #1
aizan

mamiya 7 users going to buy new fuji?

calling all users of the mamiya 7! now that we know the price of the fuji gf670 (at least in japan), do you plan on buying one? i'd like to see a lens comparison before plunking down the cash.

Old 02-08-2009   #2
chris000
Landscaper

I voted no. Given that I do already own a Mamiya 7 (which I'm very happy with), I'm not sure why would I want buy one whatever the price?

My Website - http://www.chriswaldrenphotography.co.uk/

Old 02-08-2009   #3
Tuolumne

I'd probably just add the 80mm lens to my collection.

/T

Old 02-08-2009   #4
nanthor

Guess I missed it, what is the price?

Old 02-08-2009   #5
Svitantti

I believe this new camera has totally different advantages than a Mamiya 7, so I dont really see why many Mamiya users would change to Fuji/Voigtländer.

Old 02-08-2009   #6
gdi

Personally, I can't imagine why you would need it if you have the Mamiya, but I am sure there are those who will see it differently.

Nanthor - I believe the rumored price is over $2000...

Old 02-08-2009   #7
Bob Michaels
nobody special

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdi View Post
Personally, I can't imagine why you would need it if you have the Mamiya, but I am sure there are those who will see it differently..
My thoughts exactly.

Old 02-08-2009   #8
Svitantti

In the other thread there is a link to a japanese internet shop that has listed the camera with a price, for about $2500. This is of course just one example and probably not exactly what it will be in the end when others start selling it.

It is obvious that this 6x7 is much smaller when folded than the Mamiya, but also it has one single focal lenght fixed to it and probably is not just as reliable in long run as the Mamiya. You can buy many Super Ikontas etc. for that price. I guess still many enthusiasts could buy it, but for that price I dont see it as a reasonable tool for a photographer who just aims in taking photos... Rather a toy for camera people.

Old 02-08-2009   #9
CK Dexter Haven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svitantti View Post
....it has one single focal lenght fixed to it and probably is not just as reliable in long run as the Mamiya. You can buy many Super Ikontas etc. for that price. I guess still many enthusiasts could buy it, but for that price I dont see it as a reasonable tool for a photographer who just aims in taking photos... Rather a toy for camera people.
A Rolleiflex has only one lens attached to it. How many of the world's most important photographs were shot with that camera?

Super Ikontas etc. don't have integral meters, do they? That, for me, changes the game completely. It's like when i first considered buying a Leica. An M3 is a beautiful tool, but without a meter. Then, there was the M6. With a meter, but not the kind of meter i want to use. When the M7 came out, it was the kind of camera that would work the way I wanted it to work, and didn't force me to change my methods for a piece of hardware. This is no different. I want a compact-ish 6x7 travel camera.

Just because it has a bellows and folds doesn't make it 'unreasonable,' nor a toy.

Old 02-11-2009   #10
PATB

Nope. If I had the money, I'd rather get another lens for the Mamiya.

Old 12-09-2013   #11
Kenj8246

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATB View Post
Nope. If I had the money, I'd rather get another lens for the Mamiya.
My sentiments, exactly.

Old 02-11-2009   #12
Svitantti

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK Dexter Haven View Post
A Rolleiflex has only one lens attached to it. How many of the world's most important photographs were shot with that camera?

Super Ikontas etc. don't have integral meters, do they?
Most Rolleiflexes neither have integral meter. Many photographers use handheld meters anyway. Incident light metering is very popular and a good method.

Quote:
That, for me, changes the game completely. It's like when i first considered buying a Leica. An M3 is a beautiful tool, but without a meter. Then, there was the M6. With a meter, but not the kind of meter i want to use. When the M7 came out, it was the kind of camera that would work the way I wanted it to work, and didn't force me to change my methods for a piece of hardware. This is no different.
M7 compared to M4-P, M4 etc. is much like this Fuji compared to a Super Ikonta.
To many, an M7 is not among the most reliable or professional tools. It has electronic shutter and more electronics and automation. I could say from my perspective it is a toy for rich people who like Leica. Not really that great as user camera for photographers.

Quote:
I want a compact-ish 6x7 travel camera.
I guess a 1600 EUR 6x7 for a travel camera sounds like what I was talking about.

Quote:
Just because it has a bellows and folds doesn't make it 'unreasonable,' nor a toy.
I know, that is why I am talking about Super Ikontas and Plaubel Makina. Personally I shoow with a Super Baldax 6x6 folder.

Old 05-13-2009   #13
JanPB

Quote:
To many, an M7 is not among the most reliable or professional tools. It has electronic shutter and more electronics and automation. I could say from my perspective it is a toy for rich people who like Leica. Not really that great as user camera for photographers.
Its claim to fame is its 43mm lens. It's a very close derivative of Wild Aviogon and no other medium format camera in existence has something like that. Even Hasselblad uses a "mere" Biogon.

Old 05-13-2009   #14
Bob Michaels
nobody special

Quote:
To many, an M7 is not among the most reliable or professional tools.
My Mamiya 7 has shown zero problems and never been to my friendly camera repairman in the five years I have used it constantly.

Quote:
It has electronic shutter and more electronics and automation.
Yep, the shutter is very accurate. I just replace the battery when it is getting low and it works 100% of the time.

Quote:
I could say from my perspective it is a toy for rich people who like Leica.
Actually I am neither rich, nor ever owned a Leica as I have never wanted one. I do own one Leica lens.

Quote:
Not really that great as user camera for photographers.
I will just say my opinion as a long term Mamiya 7 user differs from yours.

Old 10-03-2009   #15
emraphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Michaels View Post
My Mamiya 7 has shown zero problems and never been to my friendly camera repairman in the five years I have used it constantly.

Yep, the shutter is very accurate. I just replace the battery when it is getting low and it works 100% of the time.

Actually I am neither rich, nor ever owned a Leica as I have never wanted one. I do own one Leica lens.

make that 2 differing opinions

Old 10-27-2010   #16
Turtle

I agree with you Bob. Nothing toy like about the photos my Mamiya 7s have provided me every time I have pressed the shutter.

GREAT camera. I one could ask for more it would be build like a Nikon F6, but hey ho.

As for it being for Leica snobs... what other current 6x7 RF cameras were out there at the time... and what other light portable options existed with lens options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Michaels View Post

Maybe ...
Old 06-23-2011   #17
Dante
Digital Dragon Slayer

Maybe ...

I voted "maybe." I like the idea of a 6x7 folder as a compliment to my 7II or as something I could toss in a bag and not worry about it getting banged up. That said ... the price couldn't be over $1000 new for me to buy it.

Sure, I've spent way more than $1000 on my 7II rig and my RZ rig. A folders non-interchangeable lens is what makes me say I wouldn't spend over $1000 new. That's just me.

As for the naysayers slamming the Mamiya 7(II) as a non-professional "toy" for "rich kids" you are way off base. It is neither a "toy" nor am I a "rich kid." It is by far one of the best travel cameras I've ever used. It's the only rangefinder I've owned and it performs on par with any high-quality, precision instrument ... if you know how to use it. The 7II has made me consider buying a 35mm rangefinder ... just not sure I would use it because I use my 120/220 film cameras way more than I use my 35mm SLRs.

I think there is a place for the Bessa III it just needs a better price point ... and by better I mean one around $1000. Just need them to mass produce it in a way that drives the price down. Just my 6x7 cents.

============== 1 Mar 2013 =====================
Recently decided to go back to shooting MF B&W Film for 99.5% of all my work. This is a personal decision which is driven by wanting to slow down and create stellar images from beautiful film. That said, I really wanted to have a MF camera with me at all times with minimal bulk. I love my Mamiya cameras and I'm keeping them for other work like portraiture. In the past I've found that when traveling there are times I've needed to switch quickly between my 80mm and 43mm on my Mamiya 7. My choices were to buy a second Mamiya 7II body OR get a Fuji GF670. The GF670, being a folder, fits my criteria of a camera with minimal bulk so I bit the bullet and got a GF670.

It's beautiful. Not having a place to set up my darkroom at the moment I've had to send my film out for developing so I've yet to see the first roll. I like the compactness (though it's not small) when folded and, though not as comfortable in my hand as my Mamiya 7II, I do like the way it feels in my hands. SO, though I still don't like the price point on the GF670 I felt its usefulness and design would fit well into my workflow. Now on to making money with the GF670 AND my Mamiya 7II!
Fuji GF670
Assorted Minolta 35mm
(film and digital)
and more other cameras
than I'd care to mention

Last edited by Dante : 03-01-2013 at 09:58. Reason: I bought a GF670

Price... big issue for me....
Old 07-12-2011   #18
kuzano

Price... big issue for me....

As overpriced (my opinion) as the Mamiya 7 and lenses have always been for my purposes, the new Fuji Wide Folder is inordinately high priced. At least with the Mamiya 7 one gets lens choices. Furthermore, I suspect people are going to find that the new Fuji is not going to be "compact" relative to the Mamiya 7, with the exception of lens length.

Point one, I can drop back to the less expensive Fuji rangefinders and shoot 6X9 and crop, or not. (OK, no metering... is that worth the extra $2000 plus on the folder)
Point two, I can buy the GSW670 AND a GSW690 if i insist on both formats, both for around $2000 in excellent plus condition, and still have $600 to $1000 left over from the GF670W price. That money will buy one exceptional meter, plus change from that.

Not much point in buying both however as the body size is the same on the GSW670 and 690.

I'd more likely buy the GW690III and GSW690III and have the same $2000 expenditure (for both) and 65 and 90 focal lengths.

And, again, I do recognize the automation differences, but they just don't justify a $3000 camera in my estimation.

I love my Fuji's, but Fuji has been digging far too deep into buyers pockets with their last three major offerings. The GF670, the GF670W and the X100 fixed lens digital point and shoot.

Last edited by kuzano : 07-12-2011 at 11:12.

Old 02-08-2009   #19
tensai

It's ¥218000 at one of the biggest camera retailers here. link.
You get 10% back through a point system - that you do have to spend in their shop. (with the discount that means right now it's 1653 euro or US$2137).

Last edited by tensai : 02-08-2009 at 14:34.

Old 02-11-2009   #20
hiromu

I used to have Mamiya 7II, and if I have money to buy the new Fuji/Voigtlander, then I would buy another Mamiya 7II with 80mm, and keep the change for films/processing...

Old 02-11-2009   #21
snausages

It would be very nice to throw a metered, RF coupled modern folding MF camera in a messenger bag, but I can't justify buying this camera for myself for the price. My M7, 43mm and 80mm have cost hundreds less.

Old 03-03-2009   #22
richdirector

I would - it folds small great to travel with and I hated the plastic feel of the Mamiya 7. I currently shoot handheld with a horseman sw612 so not averse to size but prefer to feel the quality. (no pun intended)

Old 03-03-2009   #23
nbphoto

I dont this its aimed at Mamiya 7 owners to be fair.
I was in a position a few months ago, owning a heavy medium format outfit, and wanting to have a small pocket camera. I wanted a MF travel camera so I did not need to hold 120 and 35mm film in stock. I wanted a built in meter (less to carry). I wanted a normal lens and a wide. etc..
If the new fuji had come along (before the recession), I would have bought one, or waited a bit and see if they come out with a 50-60mm version. In the end I got a M6TTL as it met all the requirements except using the same film stock. If the Fuji had interchangerble lenses I would have it in a heartbeat and sell the Leica. All things to all men (and women)

Old 04-22-2009   #24
kram

If it was a 6x9 maybe, but a 6x7, no.

Old 04-23-2009   #25
craygc

Another one for "why would I bother?" I have 2x 7II bodies already and for the price of the folder, I could buy a brand new 7II body + 80mm lens and still get change. Even my 43mm lens - new - was way under that price. Yes, its a space saver but for me, I'm either shooting MF or I'm not so conveniently collapsible body just doesn't deliver any value to me...