Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > Half Frames / Subminiatures

Half Frames / Subminiatures This forum is for all half frame 35mm cameras, including the very popular Olympus Pens and their SLR cousins, the Pen F and Pen FT, as well as all smaller than half frame subminiature film cameras.

So... is it a Pen F or Pen FT?
Old 07-11-2007   #1
kb244

So... is it a Pen F or Pen FT?

I know the FT/F is a SLR but I figured I'd try here anyways. I received in my posession a Pen FT (or so I thought) despite some discreperencies I am happy with it, just has some oddities.

Gona go ahead and list off some of the oddies.

1) Has a Hot Shoe that actually works
2) Says FT on the top and on case, but came with an F accessory shoe attachment
3) Viewfinder is just an even black border, no meter window on left or extra black space to acomidate for it.
4) Has a battery compartment in the bottom despite no way for there to be a meter display in the viewfinder, but it is an FT body...
5) Has a microprism spot (which further make it seem like it should be an FT body)
6) Self Timer is broken or at the very least doesn't seem like it's attached to anything.
7) There is ASA setting on shutter dial, and the 0-7 setting on lens which would be on an FT.

Other than the microprism spot, everything internally seems to be more like an F rather than an FT. When I open the bottom theres only one blue wire connecting to the battery but not another wire, then a red one near the middle which seems like they mighta used an FT body and it's wiring to wire the hot shoe to the shutter tripping.

I couldn't tell you what the serial number is since the hot shoe is on there permenetly. But appears to end in 734.

Simply put it just seems... odd, but I think I'm going to like it regardless.

Last edited by kb244 : 11-12-2007 at 14:50. Reason: images no longer on the web.

Old 07-11-2007   #2
ZeissFan

The hot shoe doesn't look original, because it covers the body serial number. I will make a wild guess that possibly this camera began life as an "F" and had the hot shoe added after it was purchased. And possibly that's when new top and bottom plates were installed from an "FT."

Guess you'll never know.

My FT has no hot shoe, just the slide-on accessory shoe that must be removed in order to rewind the film.

My FT does show the in-viewfinder meter

Old 07-11-2007   #3
raid
Dad Photographer

The F has no meter whereas the FT has a meter. Go with this distinguishing feature.

Old 07-11-2007   #4
Doug

Very odd hot shoe, never seen a Pen SLR with that, clearly a custom adaptation.

Definitely stock FT top and bottom covers. Odd about the lack of meter indication... That could have been blocked off while they were working inside on the hot shoe. Or it could be an F or FV body (or finder parts). Given the bottom plate, which is unique to the FT, it seems likely to be an FT frame also.

Question: Film wind... is it single-stroke or double stroke? The original F was double-stroke, while the FT and (meterless) FV were single stroke.

The F did not have a self-timer, the other two did. But I think it tended to break and might have been removed. My FV has a round chrome plug where the lever and its shaft should be.

I've never had an F to see what its screen's focusing aid is like, but the FT and FV have the microprism spot you mention. The FV is missing the meter display and the screen is a bit brighter because no light is siphoned off for a meter.

Looks like a pretty clean sample, Karl! And the 38mm f1.8 is reputed to be the sharpest of its various normal lenses. BTW, the clip-on cold-shoe is blamed for breaking off bits of the black plastic eyepiece... if yours is intact that's another point in its favor.

Old 07-11-2007   #5
raid
Dad Photographer

Doug is correct and I stand corrected; the FV is meterless. This looks like a hacked FT/F combo.

Old 07-11-2007   #6
Cale Arthur
---- ------

My guess is someone removed the entire metering system (or transplanted the mirror box from an F/FV) in an effort to make the viewing a little brighter.. what does the mirror itself look like, specifically the back of it?

The fact that the wind lever goes all the way to the right of the body says 'FT' as well - regular 'F's had the wind lever sitting slightly inboard w/no notch all the way out..

--c--

The future begins tomorrow!

Last edited by Cale Arthur : 07-11-2007 at 18:09.

Old 07-11-2007   #7
kb244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cale Arthur
My guess is someone removed the entire metering system (or transplanted the mirror box from an F/FV) in an effort to make the viewing a little brighter.. what does the mirror itself look like, specifically the back of it?

The fact that the wind lever goes all the way to the right of the body says 'FT' as well - regular 'F's had the wind lever sitting slightly inboard w/no notch all the way out..

--c--
Front and back of the mirror.

Last edited by kb244 : 11-12-2007 at 14:50.

Old 07-11-2007   #8
Cale Arthur
---- ------

I may be way, way off base here, but i had thought that FT's had a different mirror layout & look. That one looks just like my FV, which could support the transplanted mirror-box theory.

--c--

Old 07-11-2007   #9
ferider

Looks like an FT with two mods:
- replacement of inside half-transparent/meter mirror with full mirror (get rid of meter and increase vf brightness by one stop)
- addition of hotshoe (pretty cool, I find).

Roland.

Old 07-11-2007   #10
kb244

I am gona go shoot some kodak ultratec with a vivitar 283 flash on the hot shoe, brb (it's ISO 6 so I'll have to use a flash but least I can develop by inspection in a tray).

Old 07-11-2007   #11
Film dino
David Chong

The "F" engraving is in gothic script (similar style to the "F" on the lens cap) & has a two-stroke film advance.

Old 07-11-2007   #12
Film dino
David Chong

Ferider is right, it's a cool mod; one stop extra-brightness is well worth having. I have an F & have used an FT in the past & the difference in finder brightness is appreciable. The built-in meter wasn't much help, for me anyway. I tried to find an FV- these are thin on the ground- & eventually settled for an F, despite the less- easy-to-focus ground glass screen

Old 07-11-2007   #13
Cale Arthur
---- ------

Nice shots, Karl.. whatever the deal is, i'm glad you found one.. knew you were looking for a minute. Sadly, my FV is again in a state of disrepair (blown main shutter cam) after a trip to Detroit. Am currently on the hunt for a 'parts' body, which should be fun.

--c--

ps: I think Roland nailed it.. all things being equal, some pretty handy changes there!

Last edited by Cale Arthur : 07-11-2007 at 20:16.

Old 07-11-2007   #14
kb244

Quote:
Nice shots, Karl.. whatever the deal is, i'm glad you found one.. knew you were looking for a minute. Sadly, my FV is again in a state of disrepair (blown main shutter cam) after a trip to Detroit. Am currently on the hunt for a 'parts' body, which should be fun.

--c--
My co-worker has an old Pen-FT he had for a few years, but he hasn't used it in years because no repair tech in the area, even our illustrius local repairman Peter can't get at the shutter. They could fix it if they could just get at the shutter.

Quote:
Nice shots, Karl.. whatever the deal is, i'm glad you found one.. knew you were looking for a minute.
Yea I got the above in trade for my near-mint condition Yashica Mat-124G and couple rolls of 120 film. He was just as eager to get the yashica so I guess it was a fair trade. I was a tad worried at first because he admited to having never run a roll thru the FT before.

Old 07-11-2007   #15
Film dino
David Chong

[quote=kb244]My co-worker has an old Pen-FT he had for a few years, but he hasn't used it in years because no repair tech in the area, even our illustrius local repairman Peter can't get at the shutter. They could fix it if they could just get at the shutter.

Try http://www.zuiko.com/index.htm

David

Old 07-11-2007   #16
Doug

The back of Karl's mirror looks just like the backs of my FT and FV mirrors. The camera doesn't use a pentaprism, but rather a sequence of two prisms and a mirror in between them to bring the image right-way-around for viewing. And it's this internal mirror that's semi-silvered to feed light to the meter. The small rectangular window on the top deck at the rear edge illuminates the viewfinder's meter display (the F and FV don't have this window) Here's a diagram from an FT brochure...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OlympusPenFTcutaway.jpg (92.8 KB, 25 views)

Old 07-11-2007   #17
kb244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
The back of Karl's mirror looks just like the backs of my FT and FV mirrors. The camera doesn't use a pentaprism, but rather a sequence of two prisms and a mirror in between them to bring the image right-way-around for viewing. And it's this internal mirror that's semi-silvered to feed light to the meter. The small rectangular window on the top deck at the rear edge illuminates the viewfinder's meter display (the F and FV don't have this window) Here's a diagram from an FT brochure...
However I assume it is likely that when whoever put in the hot shoe replaced the mirror with maybe one from an F or a custom one so that there was no light loss and so they could just remove the meter cell to put in the hot shoe. I would not know for sure unless I figured a way to take the top off.

Old 07-11-2007   #18
Cale Arthur
---- ------

Quote:
And it's this internal mirror that's semi-silvered to feed light to the meter.
Yep, i was WAY, way off.. my apologies!

Old 07-11-2007   #19
Cale Arthur
---- ------

Glad you got to keep the original Pen! That's a beauty.

Somewhat related to one of your original points, and i'm not sure how widely this is known (i found it in the fine print of a Pen FV lens guide), but apparently, if you pull the aperture ring out slightly, it'll disengage and rotate all the way around to show the Oly numbers 'system' on the top of the lens! I can see this being very handy for those w/an F or FV - you can just move the 'numbers' back to the bottom when you want to be able to see the f-stops up top if you have a lens that originally came w/and FT!! ..for me, that little design really sealed the deal on Maitani being utterly brilliant human being.

--c--

Old 07-11-2007   #20
kb244

Quote:
Glad you got to keep the original Pen! That's a beauty.
--c--
Speaking of original Pen.

Kinda getting 'cute' I just need an OM-1 then.

Last edited by kb244 : 11-12-2007 at 14:51.

Old 07-12-2007   #21
shadowfox
Personal Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb244
Speaking of original Pen.

Kinda getting 'cute' I just need an OM-1 then.
Not so fast, you need a Pen D, EED, EM, W, S, EE-S, EL, then you can start your OM...

Old 07-12-2007   #22
kb244

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox
Not so fast, you need a Pen D, EED, EM, W, S, EE-S, EL, then you can start your OM...

Nawwwwwww besides I have no desire for fully automatic RFs (EE*) Pen D maybe...

Old 07-12-2007   #23
kb244

Out of curiousity, when they went from the F to FT I know they "improved" the shutter, but did they change it to something other than a rotary type? I know the whole rotary type was advertized for the F but I don't get a clear understand of the 'type' when reading bout the FT. It looks like it basically has a sheet of metal that retracts pretty freaking fast, stays open for the shutter duration and then snaps back closed just as fast, possibly fast enough that they were still able to claim shutter sync speeds up to 1/500th of a second because I assume the entire film plane is exposued during the entire duration, or is at least uncovered and covered fast enough as not to cause a bar.

Old 07-12-2007   #24
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb244
Out of curiousity, when they went from the F to FT I know they "improved" the shutter, but did they change it to something other than a rotary type?
They all have the same metal rotary focal plane shutter.

I did some digging in old reviews and articles about the FT and found mention of shutter improvements by Jason Schneider in his Modern Photo column "the camera collector" appearing a few years after the Pen F system was discontinued.

Quoting Jason, "...they attacked one of the original F's few defects, occasionally erratic shutter operation, by redesigning the speed-governing mechanism."

Gratifying to our RF interests, he mentioned the compact size and comfortable shape, "...reminiscent of rangefinder Leicas and Canons. It should, therefore, come as no surprise that the Pen F's staunchest devotees are drawn from the ranks of rangefinder enthusiasts."

His article included the same graphic of the viewfinder light path I posted above, yet he still erroneously described a porroprism constructed of mirrors, whereas it actually has one mirror and two prisms. In a segue to mentioning the side-swinging instant return mirror, he also said the focusing screen was placed 45 degrees to the side rather than above. Of course that should be 90 degrees, but it's a fairly easy error to make. Otherwise an interesting retrospective.

A November 1967 Modern Photo Test of the new Pen FT described the new metering system, then listed a few other detail changes from the F. Visible fresnel lens rings in the focusing screen now gone, and the microprism spot added to the center of the larger circle of fine ground glass. Wind lever is longer and of course single stroke rather than double. Self timer added. "The take-up spool is now a quick-loading multiple slot and tooth type. The frame counter has slightly larger numbers..." and M flash sync has been added along with the X.

In a backwards sequence from Pentax experience, the slower normal lenses for the Pen F are better/sharper than the faster ones. Definitely a sacrifice in optimum performance when going from the 38 f1.8 to the 40 f1.4 and especially the 42mm f1.2. They really liked the 38 and 70.

I found a January 1970 Camera 35 test of nine Pen FT lenses where they get confused about angles of view, saying "... this 70mm telephoto ... would be the equivalent of q 140mm lens on a full-frame 35mm camera..." And they make the same kind of error for the 60mm f1.5 ("120mm") and 100mm f3.5 ("...equivalent of a 200mm telephoto..."). Oddly they make no mention of their incorrect 2x focal length "crop factor" with shorter lenses, and even characterize the 20mm as an "ultra-wide", when in fact its angle of view is 73 degrees, placing it about the equivalent of 30mm on a full-frame.

The test shows this 20mm f3.5 and the 25mm f2.8 as both about equally excellent optically.

Old 07-12-2007   #25
kb244

Quote:
They all have the same metal rotary focal plane shutter.
According to my co-worker who was looking at the back of the shutter, said it can't be a rotary shutter, no where for it to rotate up into the body claiming there was no space for it. Says the rotary one actually looks like a disc based on his experience with his Pen-F before he sold it.

Quote:
I found a January 1970 Camera 35 test of nine Pen FT lenses where they get confused about angles of view, saying "... this 70mm telephoto ... would be the equivalent of q 140mm lens on a full-frame 35mm camera..." And they make the same kind of error for the 60mm f1.5 ("120mm") and 100mm f3.5 ("...equivalent of a 200mm telephoto..."). Oddly they make no mention of their incorrect 2x focal length "crop factor" with shorter lenses, and even characterize the 20mm as an "ultra-wide", when in fact its angle of view is 73 degrees, placing it about the equivalent of 30mm on a full-frame.

The test shows this 20mm f3.5 and the 25mm f2.8 as both about equally excellent optically.
Is it really 2.0x? I've been going by 1.4x this whole time seeing as a 25mm x 1.4 = 35mm perspective, or 38mm x 1.4 = 53.2 which would coincide with their marking the 25 as a wide and 38 as a normal.