Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: Are you both a photographer and shooting enthusiast?
Yes 182 51.12%
No 174 48.88%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Photographers and Marksmen
Old 11-29-2004   #1
Peter
Voigtlander Mann

Photographers and Marksmen

I have this little theory that firearms shooters tends to be involved in photography. I have noticed it here in Singapore at the local shooting club.

My RFF Gallery
My PBase Gallery

Old 11-29-2004   #2
wlewisiii
StayAtHome Dad & Photog

I've been a gun nut and hunter even longer than a photographer. Perhaps it has something to do with these activities all being very observation oriented?

William

Playing and learning daily with: 4x5 Crown Graphic, Leica IIIf w/ 50/2 Summitar, Nikon F2 Photomic w/ 50/1.4 & Olympus E-PL1.

"Some people are 'the glass is half full' types. Some people are 'the glass is half empty' types. I'm a 'the glass is full of radioactive waste and I just drank half of it' type. And I'm still thirsty." -- Bill Mattocks

Old 11-29-2004   #3
Nikon Bob
camera hunter & gatherer

I gave up on firearms after they had us register all firearms in Canada and moved to photography. A lot of the same techniques used to get off a successful shot are the same with both. It is really ironic that photography is suffering in a similar way post 911. I must have a black cloud following me.

Bob

Old 11-29-2004   #4
doubs43

"I've been a gun nut and hunter even longer than a photographer."

Me too. Fired my first handgun - a 1927 Colt Woodsman - in 1948. My father was also interested in both guns and photography and has between 100 & 120 photographs in the Archives of the Smithsonian Institute.

Walker

Old 11-29-2004   #5
GallenWolf

Peter, may I know a bit more info about this shooting club? I love going for range, once took part in safisam, but only as "backup shooter".

Alvin

Old 11-29-2004   #6
Peter
Voigtlander Mann

I was with SAFRA IPSC before I quit shooting as I am too busy these days. It is at National Shooting Centre at Lim Chu Kang. When I was in the army I was the section marksman (designated sharpshooter) during SISPEC. Before army I was in the secondary school air rifle team. Photography and shooting have a lot of similarities in the form of stance, breathing, holding and trigger control.

My RFF Gallery
My PBase Gallery

Last edited by Peter : 11-29-2004 at 18:22.

Old 11-29-2004   #7
GallenWolf

Any links or urls for this particular club? Talking about air rifles, yeah kinda forgot about them. I was in the club too during secondary school!

Alvin

Old 11-29-2004   #8
bmattock
Lord of Broken Toys

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikon Bob
I gave up on firearms after they had us register all firearms in Canada and moved to photography. A lot of the same techniques used to get off a successful shot are the same with both. It is really ironic that photography is suffering in a similar way post 911. I must have a black cloud following me.

Bob
In the Marine Corps, they called it BRASS. Breathe, Relax, Aim, Stop, Squeeze. Works great for holding a camera steady, too.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old 03-29-2012   #9
Oldskewl808

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattock View Post
In the Marine Corps, they called it BRASS. Breathe, Relax, Aim, Stop, Squeeze. Works great for holding a camera steady, too.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks
Exactly! Sometimes I find myself wanting to work on the trigger after firing off a frame.

Old 11-29-2004   #10
Peter
Voigtlander Mann

Quote:
Originally posted by GallenWolf
Any links or urls for this particular club? Talking about air rifles, yeah kinda forgot about them. I was in the club too during secondary school!

Alvin
You could take a look here http://www.singaporeshooting.org/index.shtml
It seems that we have quite a few shooters here in RFF!

My RFF Gallery
My PBase Gallery

Old 11-29-2004   #11
bmattock
Lord of Broken Toys

I have been pondering your statement - and it seems there is some truth to it, more than the casual glance might reveal. Do people who enjoy fine cameras (specifically rangefinders) also appreciate firearms? I now believe you're on the right track, but there is more to it...to wit:

I also suspect that a part of it might be the appreciation of fine machinery. Great classic SLRs and rangefinders have that essence of the awesome about them, such that they transcend being merely recorders of photons on film, objects of glass and steel, and become imbued with something that, if not an actual soul, is very much like one in many respects.

This can also be observed in fine mechanical watches, high-quality firearms, steam trains, and one or two automobiles.

I note also that with the exception of the most expensive end of the enthusiast's pursuit, the heyday of fine mechanical objects for the sake of their being fine mechanical objects is past. The appreciation for a man's labor and skill beyond what mass-production can give us is past.

Fortunately, being fine mechanical objects, they are often found in the loving hands of those who treat them with respect and use them as the tools they were meant to be.

If my photograph made with an ancient Serenar lens is less sharp than a modern autofocus autoexposure plastic-bodied chimera, then so mote it be. I have the privilege of owning and using a fine mechanical specimen that feels good in my hand and guides my spirit to take better photographs than I otherwise might - or so I choose to believe.

While time marches on, and I am certainly not immune to the charms of the beckoning, glittering, digital future, there must still be some dark and quiet place where one can shoot all day, then return home and dunk a roll of film in a bucket of developer and try to bring forth magic.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old 04-15-2005   #12
JoeFriday
Agent Provacateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattock
I also suspect that a part of it might be the appreciation of fine machinery. Great classic SLRs and rangefinders have that essence of the awesome about them, such that they transcend being merely recorders of photons on film, objects of glass and steel, and become imbued with something that, if not an actual soul, is very much like one in many respects.
that's definitely the case with me.. I was drawn to handguns because of the mechanical aspects.. and like cameras, I learned that newer is not necessarily better.. my first handgun was a H&K USP40, which I bought because it touted the newest technology.. same thing for my first camera, a Nikon D70

now I own a Kimber CDP, which is built on the Browning 1911 design.. and my favorite camera is a Yashica GSN.. with a Bessa R3A soon on its way.. and eventually a Leica (model still undetermined)

"I asked the doctor to take your picture so I could look at you from inside as well" ~the Vapors

Do you flickr?

Old 04-15-2005   #13
Wayne R. Scott
Half fast Leica User

I don't know how I missed this thread until today. I also own firearms and cameras. I have an Old Model Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Long Colt that I did NOT have modified with the new "improved" transfer bar type hammer. It just sounds better when it is cocked than the new model does. I also like the way my Contax IIa and IIIa sound when they are cocked and shot.

I also believe that being a rifle and handgun shooter helps with being a steady hand with a camera. But, having said that, I have shot enough that I know I can do better if I use a rest when shooting a rifle and a tripod when shooting a camera.

Along those same lines I think being a trap and skeet shooter along with being a bird hunter helps with the rangefinder style of seeing the photo oppurtunity and quickly "capturing" the moment.

I might mention that I also reload my ammo, mould my own bullets, make my own feather fletching for my arrows and develop and print my black & white film at home.

I shoot traditional bows (no wheels or cams on the limbs, no Kung-Fu laser sight devices, or releases). It's not that I have any thing against those types of compound bows, they, just like digital cameras, are not right for me.

I have a box full of medals around here some place that supposedly says I am a half way decent shot with a rifle, but I don't shoot near as much as I did as a youth.

Interesting thread.

Wayne
One's skill is never complete, one's knowledge is forever lacking, one's taste is invariably altered, one's opinion ever subject to controversy. There is a complete and constant urge toward improvement...
-Andrew Loomis.

"Good Judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

Old 05-30-2005   #14
tekgypsy
TekGypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne R. Scott
I also believe that being a rifle and handgun shooter helps with being a steady hand with a camera. But, having said that, I have shot enough that I know I can do better if I use a rest when shooting a rifle and a tripod when shooting a camera.

I shoot traditional bows (no wheels or cams on the limbs, no Kung-Fu laser sight devices, or releases). It's not that I have any thing against those types of compound bows, they, just like digital cameras, are not right for me.

I have a box full of medals around here some place that supposedly says I am a half way decent shot with a rifle, but I don't shoot near as much as I did as a youth.

Interesting thread.

Wayne
and another Wayne here.... 18 months as a markmanship instructor at MCRD Parris Island... always shot high expert with the rifle (couldn't hit the floor with a pistol), went for tyro on the rifle/pistol team

don't own any weapons at all now... the limp-wristed congress critters haven't outlawed cameras... yet.

i have already indicated my photo technique (or lack thereof) in the Street Ninjas thread....

there are a lot of similarities...

Anyone want to trade for my HK P7PSP?
Old 05-30-2005   #15
sychan

Anyone want to trade for my HK P7PSP?

I'm also a shooter, but haven't been shooting guns much since I started shooting cameras. There's a HK P7 PSP in my safe that I've been trying to decide what to do with (talk about fine German mechanical devices - it makes my Leica M2 seem coarse and primitive).

Anyone want to trade me some RF gear of comparable value for it? I'm not kidding!

ps.
You guys shooting the CZ-52s are aware that the decockers on those are kind of squirrelly and have been known to act as a second trigger at times, right?!! I'm not some kind of HK snob either - I used to own a CZ PCR, and have lusted after a CZ-75SA for a while.

Old 11-29-2004   #16
Peter
Voigtlander Mann

Well said Bill! Somehow mechanical/classic RF users feel that the process is just as important as the outcome. I like good photos but I enjoy the feeling of operating a mechanical RF even more! Good end results are bonuses! It is the same with good bolt action target rifles.

My RFF Gallery
My PBase Gallery

Old 11-29-2004   #17
Nikon Bob
camera hunter & gatherer

Yeah , an auto loading 12 guage is a tool but a side by side sidelock 12 guage with an English style straight grip stock is a tool/work of art. The photographic equivilant to me is the comparison of a pro DSLR to a Leica screw mount. I like steam trains and piston engined vintage aircraft also. They seem to have more soul/personality.

Bob

Old 11-29-2004   #18
r-brian

I found that its much easier getting a deer out of the woods after shooting it with a camera than with a gun.

Brian

Old 11-29-2004   #19
Doug

Bill I think you're right. As a former mechanical engineer, I appreciate mechanical artistry, and that certainly includes ergonomics and performance along with design, materials, craftsmanship, etc.

As there are different kinds of viewfinder systems, there are different approaches to firearm actions, and it's fun to experience different thinking along those lines.

I got involved in reloading, too, akin to darkroom work, and treated the firing range as a testing lab. The result was benchrest shooting, action pistol shooting, self-defense training with pistol, knife, and rifle, and the biggest black hole I encountered, Collecting!

As a consequence of flirting with that issue with firearms I learned some interesting history, but I have to keep reminding myself, in regard to cameras, I am NOT a collector! Too dangerously expenseive.

Old 11-29-2004   #20
doubs43

Bill, IMO you've pretty well nailed it. Most people who like firearms and old cameras are appreciative of - even reverent towards - precision mechanical and optical devices. I know I am and to your list I would add finely crafted writing instruments.

Doug, collecting guns is absolutely a black hole. Take it from someone who had/has a love of Lugers.

Walker

Last edited by doubs43 : 11-29-2004 at 21:41.

Old 11-29-2004   #21
Doug

Brian, you're a shooter, too? Do I know you from, formerly, the Shooting forum on AOL?

Old 11-29-2004   #22
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally posted by r-brian
I found that its much easier getting a deer out of the woods after shooting it with a camera than with a gun.

Brian
How true.

But for all that I love the smell of fixer in the early morning, the tastes just can't compare.

As to weapons, how about a S&W 45 revolver, Colt 45 Auto, a Mauser 380; A 243 Winchester lever action, 7 mag bolt action. Talk about workmanship! All past passions.

Last edited by oftheherd : 11-29-2004 at 22:12.

Old 11-29-2004   #23
Tim
Amateur Leicabater

Now I'm scared at just how much I fit in......

I am a Mechanical Engineer.
I use RF cameras in part because I hate automation getting between me and teh picture, and in part because I love the craftsmanship and feel.
I shoot target with a .50 cal Pennsylvania flintlock rifle and a .36 cal Colt Navy cap and ball revolver because I enjoy the challenge and the history.
I drive a 1966 MGB, because it has a great feel, and because I can actually work on it.

I think I'll stop there....

tim

Leicas IIIf, M3, M6TTL. Too many lenses. A baby Linhof. And the missus' Canons & X-Pan. Learning all the time......

Old 11-29-2004   #24
bmattock
Lord of Broken Toys

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug
Brian, you're a shooter, too? Do I know you from, formerly, the Shooting forum on AOL?
Might have been my father, who had the same name. Sadly, he has gone on now, but he was active on AOL. His screen name was MATTOCKSSR007 as I recall.

I helped my dad get his CMP M1 Garand, which my step-mother still proudly displays. I wrote this about the Garand back then:

http://www.fulton-armory.com/whycmp.htm

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old 11-29-2004   #25
bmattock
Lord of Broken Toys

Quote:
Originally posted by r-brian

Brian
I respect your beliefs, Brian, and I know that hunting (and guns) are volatile issues - perhaps not well-suited for the friendly confines of RFF. Let me just say that it is my respect for life and the fact that I acknowledge myself as a meat-eater that I can and have hunted, and have eaten what I have killed. Many of us buy meat in the grocery store - an animal died under unpleasant circumstances for that. I have connected myself by choice to understanding what it means to be human and kill other animals to survive. I pass no judgement on the beliefs of those who choose not to hunt - I have not hunted in many years myself, and content myself with using firearms for making accurate and expensive holes in pieces of paper at a target range from time to time. But I have no moral qualms about hunting, when it comes to that.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks