Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Hardware / Computers / Drives / etc

Hardware / Computers / Drives / etc This is the place to discuss the hardware to keep your digital pics more than just memories.

getting an iPad
Old 08-07-2011   #1
FrankS

getting an iPad

Decided to take the plunge. The announcement of iOS 5 really sealed the deal. It allows the iPad to operate self-sufficienty without the need for another computer to have iTunes loaded. Thoughts?

Old 08-07-2011   #2
OlliL

Good idea

I changed my post processing to the iPad, since NIK software made "Snapseed".
I'm sure you'll like it.

Old 08-07-2011   #3
zauhar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
Decided to take the plunge. The announcement of iOS 5 really sealed the deal. It allows the iPad to operate self-sufficienty without the need for another computer to have iTunes loaded. Thoughts?
As an OS X developer, I am embarrassed I didn't know that about iOS 5. However, I really don't rely much on syncing to another computer, in fact I don't think I have ever done that except during initial setup.

In any event, I think the iPad is a great investment, and have never been sorry I got one. Better in some ways than a laptop. Photos render much better on my iPad than on my MacBook, at least to my eyes.

Randy
Canon 7/50mm f1.4
Leica IIIf/Summitar/Collapsible Summicron
Yashica Electro 35

Old 08-07-2011   #4
back alley
just joe

don't know about the new os but love my original ipad...using it now as a matter of fact.
i'm waiting for the ipad 3 before i upgrade...

Old 08-07-2011   #5
PatrickT
New Rangefinder User

To me, for a portable solution, the Macbook Air 11" is the way to go. You don't have any of the limitations of an iPad with a closed interface, and you get a hardware keyboard which will always be better than a touch screen one.

I'm saying this after having owned an iPad for several months and recently bought an Air. The iPad will be up for sale shortly.

Having said that, the iPad is certainly cheaper and a lot of people LOVE them. It just wasn't really for me.

But you're right, iOS5 will be really nice. Perhaps I should wait to sell my ipad until it comes out...

Old 08-07-2011   #6
back alley
just joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickT View Post
To me, for a portable solution, the Macbook Air 11" is the way to go. You don't have any of the limitations of an iPad with a closed interface, and you get a hardware keyboard which will always be better than a touch screen one.

I'm saying this after having owned an iPad for several months and recently bought an Air. The iPad will be up for sale shortly.

Having said that, the iPad is certainly cheaper and a lot of people LOVE them. It just wasn't really for me.

But you're right, iOS5 will be really nice. Perhaps I should wait to sell my ipad until it comes out...
i love the touch screen...i type way faster on it than a regular keypad.

Old 08-07-2011   #7
FrankS

I will be able to use it for work. There are some interesting teacher apps (setting up classes and gradebooks), and there is the ability to attach to projector or large screen TV - could make teaching and learning easier, more effective/efficient, and fun.

There is also the easy ability to video chat with my own kids away from home. That software is built in and effortless to use, from what I've read. (tried Skype)

Photo sharing will be more impressive than on my tiny iTouch. iOS 5 will permit the orgaianization of photos into separate folders.

Last edited by FrankS : 08-07-2011 at 13:34.

Old 08-07-2011   #8
The Meaness

I went with the 11.5" air yesterday after my 9 year old intel iMac finally died. I just couldn't get past the comparable size and massive difference in processing power. I will be buying a monitor for my home set up and using my wireless mouse and keyboard as a home "desktop" of sorts.

What killed the iPad for me was realizing that I wouldn't be able to do everything I wanted without an actual keyboard. The air is (in my mind) the portable device I wanted with a permanently attached keyboard and more effective stand/cover.

I wanted something that would do it all, though. iPads are really fun if you don't expect or need a laptop equivalent.

Old 08-07-2011   #9
FrankS

There is a3rd party iPad case with integrated keyboard.
example: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...436b009696en02

My computer needs have been fully met for the last few years by an inexpensive and modest Acer netbook. (I have no requirement for intensive digital image manipulation and storage.)

Last edited by FrankS : 08-07-2011 at 13:52.

Old 08-07-2011   #10
The Meaness

Quote:
There is a3rd party iPad case with integrated keyboard.
example: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...436b009696en02

My computer needs have been fully met for the last few years by an inexpensive and modest Acer netbook. (I have no requirement for intensive digital image manipulation and storage.)

That does look good, and I have seen several like it that emulate the position of a laptop. I appreciate that the air can swivel and rest very easily in a fixed position - but honestly I think the last thing I said was where my decision really came from. I needed something that would do it all. You don't, and will probably save a bit of money because of it!!!

Old 08-07-2011   #11
Richard G

iPad is great. Read Josh Root's review on photo.net. Photos look great on it. There are so many more places you will use an iPad. Your wife won't object to it nearly so easily as to the laptop in any situation - especially if you do as I did and get her one. Nearly all my RFF browsing is done on this now. For meetings it is great for all the documents. I haven't carried my MBP anywhere much since getting this. I agree with the typing too. It is a game changer. Don't need an iPad? Of course not. Delighted to have it? Yes. The intimacy of the web and the wonderful apps are all worth it. I was able to watch the late night Tour de France on this, lying in bed on one side, the screen locked to keep landscape orientation, earphones in so as not to disturb my wife, a pillow on the floor in case I fell asleep and dropped it.

Old 08-07-2011   #12
Roger Hicks

Dear Frank,

This is not a trick question. Why are you getting one? What will it do for you? Most people seem to answer "You won't know until you try it" but the same thing applied to jumping off a cliff.

A while back, I bought a Kindle. It's OK. I neither love it nor hate it, and can't understand those who do either. I suspect that at best, I'd feel the same about an iAnything. If you feel like it, I'd be interested in your take on this.

Cheers,

R.

Old 08-07-2011   #13
brachal
Refrigerated User

Get the ipad; you will love it. It's one of the very few things that is actually better than the hype.

My Gallery

Me on flickr

"Living in fear is just another way of dying before your time." DBT

Old 08-07-2011   #14
FrankS

Hi Roger. Please read my post #10.

Oh, and aside from the iOS 5's new capabilities being the deal maker, there is also now iCloud, which addresses the storage capacity issue.

Old 08-07-2011   #15
cosmonaut

I just surf the web with mine. I have a Toshiba Android as well. I like it as much if not more than my Ipad.

Old 08-07-2011   #16
swoop

I have an iPhone and it's versatility knows no bounds. I decided to go with an android tablet over the iPad though. The iPad is a very useful device but the screen is awful especially for something that you hold 18" away from your face. My android isn't as versatile and the apps limit it but for basic web browsing and viewing my images it is wonderful. And if I need to actually edit images on the go my iPhone can do that. Basically having an iPad when you already have an iPhone is as useful as having two TV's of different sizes in the same room. They do the exact same thing but how big a picture do you want.

Old 08-07-2011   #17
The Meaness

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop View Post
I have an iPhone and it's versatility knows no bounds. I decided to go with an android tablet over the iPad though. The iPad is a very useful device but the screen is awful especially for something that you hold 18" away from your face. My android isn't as versatile and the apps limit it but for basic web browsing and viewing my images it is wonderful. And if I need to actually edit images on the go my iPhone can do that. Basically having an iPad when you already have an iPhone is as useful as having two TV's of different sizes in the same room. They do the exact same thing but how big a picture do you want.
I hope I am not hijacking... but I am really curious - What is your workflow on the iPhone for editing your photos??? Do you have a card reader that connects to your phone?

Old 08-07-2011   #18
back alley
just joe

are you buying an ipad 2 or a used original?

Old 08-07-2011   #19
FrankS

This purchase will be an iPad 2. Now, if I already had an iPad classic, I would wait for an iPad 3, but I'm new to the game.

To summarize, it is the new capabilities of iOS 5 and iCloud that got me to commit.

BTW, iOS 5 will upgrade the iPad classic as well.

Old 08-07-2011   #20
back alley
just joe

Quote:
This purchase will be an iPad 2. Now, if I already had an iPad classic, I would wait for an iPad 3, but I'm new to the game.

To summarize, it is the new capabilities of iOS 5 and iCloud that got me to commit.

BTW, iOS 5 will upgrade the iPad classic as well.
i was just reading about that...signed up for the announcement...

the ipad is amazing...and i barely scratch the surface for different uses...

Old 08-07-2011   #21
rover

Don't be afraid to simply forget all of the productive reasons to get one and do allow yourself to just have fun with it. Yes, there are tons of applications for that, and that is a good thing too.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 08-09-2011   #22
FrankS

The iPad has arrived. Sweet fun!

Old 08-09-2011   #23
back alley
just joe

congrats...have fun!!

Old 08-09-2011   #24
wgerrard

Frank, I've had an iPad for a few months. Love it. Can't type worth... anything on the virtual keyboard, but that's more because of the non-standard layout. Certainly a lot easier to carry around than any notebook.

When it's time to replace my iMac, I intend to buy a MacBook Air.Or, just a MacBook, 'cause I expect them all to adopt the current Air form factor.

Old 08-09-2011   #25
mwooten
light user

Frank, I know you'll love your new ipad. Netflix works really well on them too. Liz has an ipad (v1), and I use a 13" Air for portable usage. They have overlapping Venn areas, and while the Air is much more powerful it lacks the playfulness that Fred alludes to in one of his posts.

blog: atomicspa.com