Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Bigger than 35 RF's > Voigtlander Bessa III / III Wide

Voigtlander Bessa III / III Wide Celebrating the two modern Voigtlander 120 film cameras, the 667 Bessa III and Bessa III Wide.

GF670 Fast Battery Drain
Old 07-23-2011   #1
Trigeek

GF670 Fast Battery Drain

Hi,
A week ago, I bought a Fuji GF670. Great little camera. I went to shoot today and found that the battery was dead. I purchased a new battery and found that when the lens cover is closed, the camera is drawing 5.6mA, when the cover is open, it draws 36mA and when I press the shutter to take a meter reading, it draws 176mA.

Since a new battery has a charge of 800mAh, a 5.6mA draw would take it to no charge in 143 hours, or 6 days. So this certainly seems the reason that the battery is dead. I can only deduct that the camera is defective. Am I missing anything obvious?

Thanks,
Jim

Old 07-23-2011   #2
ath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigeek View Post
I can only deduct that the camera is defective. Am I missing anything obvious?

Thanks,
Jim
No.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Old 07-23-2011   #3
dan_sutton

seems defective. I had mine for a month, couple rolls of usage and never replaced the battery. sent it back because I didn't gel with the camera but never changed the battery

Old 07-30-2011   #4
Trigeek

Received a replacement camera. There is still some battery drain when the lens cover is closed, though significiantly lower. Probably a good idea to remove the battery for extended periods of down time.

Old 08-03-2011   #5
Photon42
burn the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigeek View Post
Received a replacement camera. There is still some battery drain when the lens cover is closed, though significiantly lower. Probably a good idea to remove the battery for extended periods of down time.
I don't want to leave you with your findings, so I thought I take out the old orange VA meter and have a look. Again I found that when man was created, clearly no debugging of electronic devices was necessary, as a third hand was definitely needed for all the wiring involved

Findings Fuji GF 670:

0.03 mA hood closed
29 mA hood open
70 mA hood open, button pressed

800 divided by 0.03 gives around 26'600 hours, or around 1'100 days or around three years standby time. I still wonder why there is any pull, as they have the on/off switch linked to the bonnet.

Rgds
Ivo

Old 08-03-2011   #6
drinkingeye

got mine one year ago - still the first battery in after around 30 film rolls...good luck solving this problem. it's a terrific all purpose camera, I love mine! cheers mauro

Canon 7s, Canonet Giii 17, FED 2, Zorki 4, Yashica Lynx 14
Hassy H1 H3DII
501c, Bessa III 667, Pentacon Six TL, Plaubel Makina 67, Bronica RF
Leica III,IIIc,IIIf, M9, M Monochrom, MP, M6TTL, M4, M2, M3
Pentax (D)SLR

Old 08-03-2011   #7
furcafe

The battery that came w/mine was weak & only lasted about 5 rolls. Since replacing it in February, however, the current battery has been doing fine.
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.

--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

Old 08-04-2011   #8
hausen
Hausen

I have the Fuji GF670 and the same thing happened to me. I went through 3 batteries in the first 4 rolls of film. Mine is jetting from NZ to Fuji Japan because they don't sell them here in NZ. The thought is there is an open circuit somewhere. Am heading to Moorea in 4 weeks and hope it is back by then.

Far too many cameras & lenses!