View Single Post

Old 11-16-2008   #18
LADP
living 24fps

Well, I just got back from the show, and it was fairly small, but fun. There were two rooms of the Elk Lodge used with a number of vendors. I didn't think to count them, but I would guess around 25 - 35 tables/vendors between the two rooms. There was an abundance of film SLRs of all makes, Nikon, Canon, Pentax being the most prevalent, and there were quite a few DSLR's for sale too.

Not being into DSLR's, I didn't really look carefully, but I saw plenty of Canon and Nikon glass for sale at various tables.

There were a few tables with some Leica gear, the largest collection being at Faith Scudder's table. I saw an M4-P, an M6, and an M7 body for sale. I think she was asking $750 for the M4-P. Not being in the market for another M body since I ust received a 2nd M3 in the mail two days ago, I didn't look any of them over carefully, but they looked to be in good condition cosmetically. She had some accessories like Leicavits and power winders and handgrips for sale, and also had a couple of Voigtlander Bessas, lenses and accessory viewfinders for sale.

In Leica M glass, there were several 50's, 35's, a 90, a 28 IIRC, and a 21 Elmarit that I almost bought. It was clean, and she was asking $1100 for it. She didn't have any 21mm vewfinders at this show though, and I've spent enough money on cameras and glass in the last couple of months. There were also some collapsible 50's on hand. Over all, a nice selection.

Another thing I almopst bought was a pristine looking Pentax Digital Spot meter. I have one that that was modified by Zone VI many years ago that I use for work (I am a cinematographer) all the time, and I worry about breaking it and not being able to replace it since it is no longer made. This one was absolutely new looking (and they had an old Zone VI leather case for it), and it appeared to be working properly, but when I turned it over to look it over, I heard some rattling from inside. Something inside has broken somehow, which is strange, because the thing looks absolutely new. She was asking $250.00 for it, but when I pointed out the rattling, she thanked me and said she had to get it fixed before she could sell it. I think I would have bought it if it hadn't been for the internal issue.

Moving on, there was a stereo camera guy there, and he had some cool looking cameras of various types, including a Russian medium format stereo camera. The stereo slides were very cool, and in the medium format size, the 3D effect really sings.

I did buy an old, but pristine looking and functioning, Super 8MM camera made by Rollei. It is built like a tank, has a great looking zoom on it, and a crystal clear viewfinder. I have had a bunch of Nizos and Canons over the years, but they often break (especially when shooting high speed, like 54fps). This looks to be fairly robust, and was operating properly. I paid $75 for it. I use Super 8mm as an additional format on commercials, TV shows and movies on occasion, so it should come in handy since my last Nizo gave up the ghost at 54fps a couple of months back.

I will post some pics of the Super 8 Rollei later. I apologize for not taking any pics at the show. My wife was getting bored, so I decided it would be best to concentrate on seeing what there was to see instead of documenting the event.

All in all a good show to visit. I will check it out again in the future.

Last edited by LADP : 11-16-2008 at 13:58.