View Single Post

Old 01-23-2012   #25
Chris101
Lazy Lytro Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmd View Post
This thread largely seems to be about a dispute between two people.
Yeah, but we don't have to give them that. When you release a photo to the world, it's meaning and intent becomes the property of your critics. Same thing with threads. We (the denizens of RFF) own this thread now. And the topic is interesting to me, and apparently you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmd View Post
I didn't see the discussion in the other thread before it was pointed out here - my guess is that the discussion started more from the label "classic" and whether it extends to 135mm or not. I guess that's more of a question of style to begin with - maybe the "classic" portrait lenses are those that were and are used for "classic" portraits, which suggest 85mm for a torso shot, and 105-135 for a head shot (all relative to full frame).

After all these conventions all developed when photography was more formalized visually than it is now, with less grungy/punk/drunken master style works.
Indeed, I too interpret "classic" to connote "established in the past". If one is bound to the rules of established photography, then classic is the way to go. The posing, lighting and lens choices have been made long ago, so the actual artistic choices are more limited. And much like the limits of all of photography, these only add to the 'search-for-the-new' type of creativity that artistic limits induce. So I think there is still lots of life to the tried and true methods of classic portraiture.

Since they are old however, classic methods often get bypassed by the most enthusiastic and creative segment of our craft: young photographers. And it is no accident that happenstance photography is easier and less expensive than directed photography. And, because they are more likely to catch the action, wider lenses are more applicable to happenstance (ie, candid, g/p/d-m style) photography.

So, if we old guys like it or not, the definition of norms is changing. I like it, cause staying the same is boring.