View Single Post

Old 12-16-2010   #50
Jaans

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeicaTom View Post
Giving a heads up to anyone who might be interested in a "real" IIIC K Grey here on evilbay......

http://cgi.ebay.com/Leica-IIIc-K-gre...item1c17d61459

This camera really got used hard in the past two years (it sold originally like 2 years ago or so from a dealer on evilbay) and was in much better shape then as it is now, as I recall it had most of it's vulcanite then and less wear, this camera now looks like it was used during the Normandy landings (just kidding!)

It is an original 1945 issued camera, issued the same day as one of mine was, sadly the original Elmar lens is gone ~ I would be going after this one myself, but getting my M6 project camera is MORE IMPORTANT to me now and I can't afford both...........

I'm sad to see the camera's in such bad shape, after how nice it was 2 years ago (I used my one camera for some daily work and I always took extra care when using it) ~ though honestly this camera now has a great patina and would make the ULTIMATE "user" IIIC K Grey, these cameras in this condition are hard to find in this grade and I suppose that the price will stay down??? Who knows???
(a broken early 1960's Black Paint M3 sold the other day for over $4k, so there's no telling, even beat up and broken RARE cameras bring some $$$$).

I have no connection whatsoever to the seller, I post this only as a favor to anyone here who might be in the market for a camera that I can see personally is a original 1945 US Army issued camera.

Tom
Tom,

I was wondering if you knew why some of these IIIc-K's were separated from their original Elmar lens and some maintained their 'relationship/pairing' with their original lens?

I had another look at Westlichts auction past results. What I noticed at Westlicht was that the grey K cameras with the K on the shutter sold close to those grey cameras that had their shutter replaced but came with the original lens.

Meaning the K shutter is just as highly prized in monetary termas as is the original lens. Is that what you have found with your research with these cameras?

Also, those K cameras with military markings like Luftwaffen, Heer etc are even more expensive!

I too have been monitoring that camera on my watch list that you posted above on ebay. It is a shame that the vulcanite is missing at the front, but I guess if it was intact then it would no doubt be worth a lot more money, even though it doesn't have the original lens? (Hence more in the collector bracket in finance terms). Also, in terms of numbers, how many K cameras were issued on the same day as this camera and yours?

Thanks again for your insight,
Jaans