View Single Post

Old 12-13-2010   #40
Jaans

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeicaTom View Post
Yes Jaans, I think the're were 3 Grey IIIC K's at that auction ~ Westlicht normally has at least 1 or 2 K shuttered cameras always for sale, the K shuttered Grey painted cameras are even move coveted in Europe as they are here in the USA.

One Luftwaffen camera did like $15,000

A WH camera did like $17,000

and a normal civilian camera did $4,200

There was also a postwar modifed camera that had a replacement body shell and parts that sold for $1,900

So the Grey cameras have gone up very well in price in the past 12 months, maybe some of the few cameras among collectors that have really MADE money during this bad recession, I know my cameras have all but doubled almost tripled in value in the past 3 years.

The examples being offered recently too on the evilbay have been poor condition cameras, many with missing parts or vulcanite and without original lenses.

The original lenses make a great difference in a cameras final price, a camera is worth at least $600 to $800 more if the lens on it is orignal and if the "K" is on the shutter $500 to $1,000 more.

Tom
Thanks Tom for that information. I guess those auctions at Westlicht can put a moderate conditioned iiic-K camera out of reach of people such as myself. I think that Westlicht also garners a lot of publicity, so potentially they have a lot of buyer interest.

It sounds like your sitting on a small goldmine with your collection. With the prices of K's and other military cameras rising even after the much publicised Global financial crisis, it makes you wonder what their prices will achieve if in a few years the economies of the world make a moderate recovery!

Looks like for now I will have to resign my search to local op shops and e-bay for a K camera when motivation strikes me.

I wonder what the chances are of one turning up in one of these shops? You always here stories of members finding Leicas in such places!

Cheers,
Jaans