Rangefinderforum.com

Rangefinderforum.com (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   14 Day One Lens Challenge (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=147)
-   -   Latest 14 Day One Camera One Lens Challenge Results. (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76433)

Keith 07-06-2009 01:13

Latest 14 Day One Camera One Lens Challenge Results.

Sorry for the delay but I lost my high speed internet connection a couple of months ago and only just got it back recently ... via a satelite connection!

These are the top ten images starting with number one.

'Her Patience'
... by snausages.

* ... by BTMarcais.

'Great Grandmother'
... by Ben Macphoto.

'Her Heart' ... by snausages.

... by BTMarcais.

'ST Johns Harbour' ... by dfoo.

* ... by Semrich.

'Bridge With Fog' ... by gm13.

'Her Neck' ... by snausages.

"A Photographer'
... by Cindy Flood.

Keith 07-06-2009 01:24

Interestingly only one colour photograph ... the winning one!

All very nice pics IMO! :)

Rogrund 07-06-2009 01:36

Thanks for posting the results, Keith!

Congratulations to the top ten, some excellent pictures there!

david.elliott 07-06-2009 03:05

Great photos!

My personal favorite is 'bridge with fog.'

snausages 07-06-2009 06:08

Thank you for organizing this project, Keith. Let's do this, or some other challenge, again soon...

dcsang 07-06-2009 06:19

"Her Heart" is ridiculously cool.

Well done!

Cheers,
Dave

benmacphoto 07-06-2009 06:22

There were a lot of great photos from this project. We should have another 14 day challenge again soon.

Keith 07-06-2009 06:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by benmacphoto (Post 1088012)
There were a lot of great photos from this project. We should have another 14 day challenge again soon.

I agree but I think we need to get away from the one camera one lens idea. Something else interesting came to mind a while ago but I can't remember what it was now! :p

Feel free to make suggestions ... a bit of brainstorming never goes astray!:D

snausages 07-06-2009 15:43

I like the idea of everyone shooting at the same focal length on the same film.

50mm + Tri-X

Keith 07-06-2009 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by snausages2000 (Post 1088346)
I like the idea of everyone shooting at the same focal length on the same film.

50mm + Tri-X

I like the idea and thought about something like this but a lot of people have never used Tri-X ... but everyone seems to have a 50mm lens.

It would be better to make the parameter ISO 400 film and a 50mm lens to keep the Neopan Ilford etc users on side and not handicap numbers for the potential involvement in the challenge!

I'm liking this idea though ... "The 50mm ISO 400 Fourteen Day Challenge" sound like a fine idea to me. I guess the digital crowd could be part of it by setting their cameras on 400 or 320 in the case of the M8!

edit ... actually I've just had another thought. It may e better to limit it to ISO 100 film to stretch people's abilities a little more. 400 really is the do all speed these days and making it a little tougher by having to use 100 and maybe dust the tripod or monopod off to get usable images in low light would interest a few habitual 400 shooters I'm sure! The word challenge needs to be embraced here!

snausages 07-06-2009 17:34

I think those are all good ideas, Keith.

And maybe it's limited to B&W? I think the more uniformity that's imposed, the more interesting the variations between each person's content and style will be.

50mm, ISO 100, B&W. (digital or 35mm film)

(We could also say nothing shot wider than 2.0 so that ultra-fast lenses don't have an advantage.)

dfoo 07-06-2009 18:20

Great competition, great pictures. My two favorites are Her Heart and the Bridge with Fog.

I like the idea of 50mm + 100 ISO film (or 160 ISO for the M8). A challenge.

Keith 07-06-2009 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by snausages2000 (Post 1088420)
I think those are all good ideas, Keith.

And maybe it's limited to B&W? I think the more uniformity that's imposed, the more interesting the variations between each person's content and style will be.

50mm, ISO 100, B&W. (digital or 35mm film)

(We could also say nothing shot wider than 2.0 so that ultra-fast lenses don't have an advantage.)

Seems like a pretty workable format to me ... of course it cuts out the MF crowd but you can't please all of the people all of the time can you?

I'll give it more thought and maybe start a thread in a few days offering the basic parameters and asking for helpful suggestions and not to mention gaugeing interest! :)

nuckabean 07-06-2009 22:13

What about a sort or prompt or a theme? Maybe even just one word to adhere to?

benmacphoto 07-08-2009 09:23

I like the idea of a specific focal length to work with. 100 ISO would be perfect for me since that is the only speed I use, haha. Though 50 ISO is not a bad idea either.

I like what nuckabean suggested with a theme or one word for the subject matter.

Any suggestions on a word?

snausages 07-09-2009 09:30

I also like the idea of the submissions being posted anonymously so that the photos have no context beyond the image itself. What if we set up a "14 Day Challenge" account on RFF with a published password so that we all have access to a shared place to post anonymously - kind of like having a shared folder on an FTP. Same 3 image limit per person.

Merkin 10-12-2009 15:45

Now that a change of seasons is upon us, any chance of another one camera one lens challenge?

BTMarcais 10-12-2009 15:49

sounds good to me. I like snausages2000's idea of having it be anonymous somehow, if we can set that up.
-Brian

samoksner 10-12-2009 15:59

Her Heart is a MONSTER shot. I would love to have that on my wall!

Merkin 10-13-2009 06:24

Looking back over some of these suggestions, my two cents would be 'one camera, one lens, one film (or ISO, for digital). Designating one specific ISO for everyone to use would give some people a greater advantage than others, but if the entrants specified at the beginning the film they were going to use, or in the case of digital, the ISO and B/W or color, that would serve well as a further restriction without being unduly unfair to some.

I had to miss the last few 1 camera 1 lens challenges, and I am really looking forward to participating in one. What about the first half of November?

snausages 10-13-2009 06:38

Let's do it!

I think it should be pretty easy to submit anonymously - all we have to do is create a shared RFF account and all post our pictures under that one log-in.

The one ISO thing is interesting, but I think I'd rather be able to shoot day and night without limitation. Rather than one ISO maybe it can be one focal length.

PS - Thanks Samoksner!

Merkin 10-13-2009 06:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by snausages2000 (Post 1165486)
Let's do it!

I think it should be pretty easy to submit anonymously - all we have to do is create a shared RFF account and all post our pictures under that one log-in.

The one ISO thing is interesting, but I think I'd rather be able to shoot day and night without limitation. Rather than one ISO maybe it can be one focal length.

PS - Thanks Samoksner!

I think the best way to submit anonymously would be to enlist the aid of a moderator or other trusted person, such as keith, to create a 14daychallenge account, and then we PM (if we can embed pictures in PMs) that account our images, which then get posted in the gallery.

I thought one focal length was already part of the rules, I was under the impression that zooms weren't allowed.

gavinlg 10-13-2009 06:54

I'd be keen - have to be using my 5d but can just set it to 400iso constantly.

snausages 10-13-2009 06:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merkin (Post 1165493)
I thought one focal length was already part of the rules, I was under the impression that zooms weren't allowed.

I meant that everyone would use the same focal length. We'd have to agree upon it advance and it'd probably be 35 or 50 (in 35mm terms) so no one would be excluded. Last time everyone had to stick to one lens, but it could be any focal length of their choosing.

Merkin 10-13-2009 07:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by snausages2000 (Post 1165507)
I meant that everyone would use the same focal length. We'd have to agree upon it advance and it'd probably be 35 or 50 (in 35mm terms) so no one would be excluded. Last time everyone had to stick to one lens, but it could be any focal length of their choosing.

The only problem there is that it would potentially prevent people who wanted to participate from participating. For instance, it would exclude pretty much all FLRFs, it could potentially exclude all TLRs, it could potentially exclude a lot of MF SLR users. A more reasonable approach, imho, would be to say that all lenses have to between 35mm and 60mm, 35mm equivalent. That way, if someone has a 35 but not a 50, or vice versa, they could still participate.