Rangefinderforum.com

Rangefinderforum.com (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Voigtlander Bessa III / III Wide (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Would you buy the new Fuji Range Finder? (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53745)

david b 02-01-2008 11:44

Would you buy the new Fuji Range Finder?

Simple. Yes or No.

holzi 02-01-2008 11:50

I voted Yes, even if I don't have the money, but I would - if I only could ;)

spysmart 02-01-2008 11:59

Yes, almost without hesitation ... except preferably in all black

srtiwari 02-01-2008 11:59

Yes. Of course, my GAS will become much more acute if the lens performs anything like that on my Fuji GA645, or the Mamiya 80mm. But, hope the price is not too out of reach !

bmattock 02-01-2008 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by holzi
I voted Yes, even if I don't have the money, but I would - if I only could ;)

Ditto. Nothing else to say, but I had to make this line longer.

titrisol 02-01-2008 12:15

Don't know yet.... no specs posted yet
So far I'd rather buy a couple of good SuperIkontas from Jurgen Krechel

ruben 02-01-2008 12:18

Can't decide yet. I need to know if there is a red hole in the back.

mfunnell 02-01-2008 12:22

Yes, as long as the price is "within reason".

...Mike

Solinar 02-01-2008 13:00

Yes, even though I will need to sell off three of my medium format cameras and maybe one of the Leicas to get within the half of what this puppy will cost. I am certain that it will not be inexpensive.

oftheherd 02-01-2008 13:13

Yes. But I will probably wait 20 to 25 years until the used prices on ebay bring it into my price range. :D

sepiareverb 02-01-2008 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruben

Excellent Ruben!

I'm absolutely interested even though it isn't a 6x6. A red hole in back with some careful masking might make it a 6x6!!

sooner 02-01-2008 13:34

Love to buy it, if I can afford it. Best of all, I love the fact that Fuji coming out with a MF rangefinder folder, of all things, totally makes all the "film is dead" types so wrong it's just pathetic. If this doesn't blow a little sunshine up your %ss, then nothing will.

Ernst Dinkla 02-01-2008 13:44

As much as I like my 120 folders and I see a nice resemblance in the Fuji to the Bessa II, to the Mamiya Six, I rather like to see Fuji using their excellent sensor technology and make a complete new digital rangefinder design that isn't based on any existing analogue or digital rangefinder design. It must be possible to build a hybrid optical - live view rangefinder that doesn't need the mechanical coupling between lens and rangefinder but could mirror the sensor's image or an optical indication based on the focusing data from that sensor in the optical view-rangefinder. Control of both focus and parallax + the quality of an optical viewfinder. More complex it could even support a zoom lens. The sensor could be 4/3 or APS and have the combined quality of Fuji's compact and APS sensors. A camera size closer to the first Leica or a Pen FT but with a modern optical rangefinder quality. It would surprise me if the image quality couldn't compete with the 6x7 rangefinder folder they suggest now. The labs here in town do not develop 120 slide film anymore, color neg is next and the variety of b&W films one can get diminishes. I doubt Fuji will keep a film plant open just to keep a promise for everyone who buys this folder. This station is passed in a way, the rangefinder concept not.

Ernst Dinkla

luketrash 02-01-2008 13:44

If it's in the sub 1500 dollar range, I'd consider buying it new, which is a very odd thing for me to say. As time goes on, I'm interested in very simple, classy looking cameras and this one looks like it fits the bill.

The main reason I know I'd have to buy it new is that I'm sure it'll be a specialty item hoarded by collectors and I'd have a hard time finding one later at a fair price.

I think people will mock this camera and it's 'slow' lens, but photography is different things to everyone, and it's pretty rare that any manufacturers turn out anything that interests me. This camera actually interests me for several reasons.

CraigK 02-01-2008 14:03

Oui

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes_(band)

rich815 02-01-2008 14:12

Depends on the price and the performance.

VictorM. 02-01-2008 14:17

I was so done. And then the Voigt 35/1.4 and now this...

kuzano 02-01-2008 14:24

As in black like this one

Quote:

Originally Posted by spysmart
Yes, almost without hesitation ... except preferably in all black

I suspect mine is going to be black as well

wlewisiii 02-01-2008 14:32

Quote:

Ruben,
In photos there is a solid back & a frame counter on the top deck next to the wind knob... :D

& I'll get one somehow... ;)

William

kuzano 02-01-2008 14:32

HaH!!! I wondered about that.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by sooner
Love to buy it, if I can afford it. Best of all, I love the fact that Fuji coming out with a MF rangefinder folder, of all things, totally makes all the "film is dead" types so wrong it's just pathetic. If this doesn't blow a little sunshine up your %ss, then nothing will.

I've been seeing a bit of "inner light" since finding out about this new Fuji. There was a camera called the Fuji Pet. One just sold on eBay for an insane price. I was thinking they should call this one a Fuji Delight. However, after your comment, I think it should be called a Fuji SSUYA (SunShine Up Your A$$).

Pathetic is a pretty weak description of the "Film is Dead" crowd, and more fitting for the "film will die" group.

spysmart 02-01-2008 14:34

Perfect

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuzano
I suspect mine is going to be black as well

First picture I've seen of the black one - thanks.

Now, I presume they still make NPH/Pro400 in 220 ?

sepiareverb 02-01-2008 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by wlewisiii
Ruben,
In photos there is a solid back & a frame counter on the top deck next to the wind knob... :D ...

There goes my mod.:bang:

jlw 02-01-2008 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by david b
Simple. Yes or No.

IS there a new Fuji rangefinder coming?

Is there a link around somewhere that I'm missing?

I saw the text announcement from PMA that they're showing a prototype MF RF camera, but that's all. Somebody on this thread had a picture... where'd that come from?

BTW, I don't think Fuji is doing this as a noble gesture. Makes sense... if you want to sell film, there have to be cameras, so if you're also a camera company, why not use one product to create demand for the other? Corporate-buzzword types call this "synergy"...

And yes, a portable MF camera makes a lot of sense to me. The fact is that 35mm film is a lost cause: DSLRs (and DRFs) produce better image quality, if your final product is an image that will be distributed digitally. But a scanned medium-format image is still very competitive with digitally-captured images.

cmedin 02-01-2008 15:27

Quote:

If it takes 220 like they say, I would say no.

Didn't you just compare this to a Holga in the other thread?

I would probably NOT buy one, just because used MF gear has gotten so cheap. Unless this is priced really aggressively it has decades' worth of equipment to compete with for sales.

GeneW 02-01-2008 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by VictorM.
I was so done. And then the Voigt 35/1.4 and now this...

Victor, Victor, Victor ... you know we're never really done ... just ask Frank :)

Gene