Rangefinderforum.com

Rangefinderforum.com (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Point-N-Shoot (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Best pocketable point and shoot (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116175)

semilog 02-22-2012 07:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajuk (Post 1816477)
I don't know how people serious about photography can be satisfied by Digicams with such tiny sensors, for me they're good for pictures on the internet though.

Under good conditions (what one encounters most of the time), small sensors can yield astonishingly good image quality. Enough, certainly, for a 12x18" print. This is especially so if good technique is used.

AJShepherd 02-22-2012 07:54

It all depends what you mean by 'pocketable'. I mean, my Franka Rolfix II will fit in some of my trouser pockets, when folded.

Folded Franka Rolfix 2 by Antony J Shepherd, on Flickr
Admittedly I have to keep hitching my trousers up at that side, and have a tendency to walk in circles, but it's still pocketable!!!

But seriously, I have to say my Ricoh GRD is my most truly pocketable camera and while I've had it six years now it's my go-everywhere digital.

As far as film goes, there's my Vivitar Ultra-Wide and Slim, the Minox GTS, the Rollei B35, the Olympus EE2, the Trip 35 or the Minolta Hi-Matic F, which while it's a rangefinder is full auto for everything else, so I think still counts as a P&S.

Corto 02-22-2012 08:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJShepherd (Post 1818568)
It all depends what you mean by 'pocketable'. I mean, my Franka Rolfix II will fit in some of my trouser pockets, when folded.

Folded Franka Rolfix 2 by Antony J Shepherd, on Flickr
Admittedly I have to keep hitching my trousers up at that side, and have a tendency to walk in circles, but it's still pocketable!!!

Agreed, As does my Isolette's. But they are Fully manual cameras and not P&S IMHO.

MaxElmar 02-22-2012 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by semilog (Post 1818564)
Under good conditions (what one encounters most of the time), small sensors can yield astonishingly good image quality. Enough, certainly, for a 12x18" print. This is especially so if good technique is used.

Indeed - technique becomes more important as the format gets smaller! But certainly, even a small sensor camera, when used on a tripod (and getting all the other basics right), can yield amazing results. Unfortunately, P&S cameras don't often get used that way, and their reputation suffers as a result.

I'm quite sure 8x10 and whole plate film photographers said the same about the Leica when it came out. "How can you get good results from such a small-format camera?"

Vics 02-22-2012 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunn (Post 1815761)
Just curious to see what you guys think is the best point and shoot that will easily fit into your pants pocket.

Film or digital. Or both.

I don't know much about digital cameras, but whe my daughter the writer asked for a pocketable digicam for Christmas two years ago, I went down to BestBuy and bought her a Panasonic (don't know the model) that sported a nice little Leica moderate zoom lens for $189, and the pics she gets with it are amazing. Her only complaint has been that she can't really see the screen very well in sunlight. It is VERY thin! A friend of mine bought one the next year just like hers, but his has a built in GPS feature! Shows up as part of the EXIF data. Very handy.

MVCG 02-22-2012 15:10

Leica D-Lux 5 / LX 5...
Small enough (fits in my jeans pocket), great lens, 1:1 format... always with me since I got it...

Trius 02-22-2012 18:53

I can understand the definition of P&S as having to include auto-focus. For me, however, I don't limit it thus. Just my view.

ankaka 02-22-2012 22:38

Canon PowerShot S95
This is a very popular point and shoot camera that offers excellent image quality, and also gives you the ability to shoot 720p HD videos. Low light performance is also adequate, though the battery life could be better. The design is pretty compact, but this makes it a little difficult to grip properly. Nevertheless, the 10MP resolution, the 3.0 inches LCD screen and the ton of features available make this a worthy choice. At $449, this camera may be slightly pricey, but its quality is unquestionable.

racoll 02-23-2012 16:08

For film I'd say the Olympus Stylus Epic--its lens is outstanding! I also picked up a Yashica T4 in near-mint condition from Goodwill for $3.99. Yes, $3.99!!!

For digital I use my Canon S100, an amazing camera that goes everywhere I go. It produces superb pictures and the quality of the pictures at ISO 1600 is very impressive. 3200 is also quite usable.