Rangefinderforum.com

Rangefinderforum.com (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Roger Hicks -- Author of The Rangefinder Book (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Things you never worried about... (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112109)

Roger Hicks 10-25-2011 08:08

Things you never worried about...

...until you read about them on the internet. Here are some starters:

Tripod sockets ripping out when used to secure wrist straps

Taking your camera on the beach

Taking your camera out in the rain (given reasonable intelligence and care)

Carrying your camera under your coat because you are afraid it will steam up and (in the case of electronic cameras) be written off

Changing lenses except in a darkened clean-room (all right, a slight exaggeration)

Any more for any more?

Cheers,

R.

ferider 10-25-2011 08:17

Focus shift.

Sparrow 10-25-2011 08:22

Infinity alignment for one ... I've still never checked ...

Sunlight burning holes in shutters ... I'd heard it before but had not idea how common it was, a bit like x-ray damage

mooge 10-25-2011 08:23

barrel distortion.

semordnilap 10-25-2011 08:24

Ha! Lenses... many lenses... ;)

Mackinaw 10-25-2011 08:24

Yeah, focus shift. Never even knew it existed until I started reading Photo forums.

Jim B.

ferider 10-25-2011 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparrow (Post 1738479)
Infinity alignment for one ... I've still never checked ...

Sunlight burning holes in shutters ... I'd heard it before but had not idea how common it was, a bit like x-ray damage

Trust me, Steward, this one is different. Just patched a shutter on an M3 of mine.

One more to Roger's question: negative effect of UV filters.

Sparrow 10-25-2011 08:29

... and I had never realised how important minimum focus distance is

Sparrow 10-25-2011 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferider (Post 1738488)
Trust me, Steward, this one is different. Just patched a shutter on an M3 of mine.

One more to Roger's question: negative effect of UV filters.

Never happened to me, then I suppose it's just one of the advantages of never going beyond f8 ;)

K14 10-25-2011 08:33

Taking pictures with anything but a cellphone makes you a pervert.

Gary

Sparrow 10-25-2011 08:34

I hesitate to mention DOF, circles of confusion and Bokeh ... for obvious reasons

SteveM(PA) 10-25-2011 08:35

sharpness, megapixels, "upgrade" ...

Coincidentally, today I'm carrying my 10yo Canon s200. It's a beautiful little camera. Two mighty mega pixels. And it makes great 8x10s.

Spider67 10-25-2011 08:45

Bokeh and focus shift

John Lawrence 10-25-2011 08:51

The reliability of Leica cameras (or indeed any of the cameras I own).

John

Gid 10-25-2011 08:52

Computers......

jsrockit 10-25-2011 08:55

100% crops, bokeh, focus shift, leica glow, sharpness, sensor size, black paint, a narrow description of what street photography is, lomography (Dianas, Holgas, and PETs existed prior to Lomo), lens charecter, etc.

Sparrow 10-25-2011 09:00

... oh, I also forgot reticulation and refraction; both of which are real yeti phenomena

zeroeseight 10-25-2011 09:23

Fungus and focus shift.

Michael Markey 10-25-2011 09:30

Having the wrong bag :)

Broke 10-25-2011 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider67 (Post 1738508)
Bokeh and focus shift

Same for me. Now I'm forever looking at backgrounds... in photos, and (most disturbingly) at the movies.

Jim

MickH 10-25-2011 09:34

The Death Of Film

Steve Bellayr 10-25-2011 09:40

The Death Of Film

healyzh 10-25-2011 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Hicks (Post 1738461)
...until you read about them on the internet. Here are some starters:

Tripod sockets ripping out when used to secure wrist straps

Taking your camera on the beach

Taking your camera out in the rain (given reasonable intelligence and care)

Carrying your camera under your coat because you are afraid it will steam up and (in the case of electronic cameras) be written off

Changing lenses except in a darkened clean-room (all right, a slight exaggeration)

Any more for any more?

Cheers,

R.

I don't worry about taking my camera's out on the beach. I've been out there with Nikon DSLR's, Hasselblad's and Leica's.

OTOH, I've always been a little wary of rain, even more so with DSLR's. BTW, how well can the M9 handle rain?

This is the first I've heard about carrying a camera under ones jacket being a problem. OTOH, I only do this with my Leica M6 TTL and M9, should I worry about the M9?

I worry more about changing lenses on my Nikon DSLR and M9 than I ever have on a film body. OTOH, that happened as soon as I got a dirty sensor on the Nikon D70 (the first digital camera we had with changeable lenses).

The Internet definitely has made me worry about camera reliability, something I never gave any thought to previously. An extension of this, is I never felt the need for a backup body, though now I do.

It's worth remembering that things we never worried about can result in positive changes as well. For example...

It has also made me take into consideration the 'character' of lenses, something else I'd never given any thought to. However, I personally think this is a good thing. It's also why I sought out a very nice 50mm Summar, and why I bought a 1930's Rolleiflex.

It has made me aware that different formats are worthwhile, and brought me back to medium format after 25-30 years. Though my move to Large Format was thanks to the UK Magazine "Black & White" a few years ago, and an article they ran on salt prints.

It has made me aware of many aspects of photography that have allowed me to move from someone who took snapshots with a Nikon FM2, to someone that takes photographs (at times with that same FM2). I'm now aware of things such as DOF.

I never gave any thought to the film I used. I just used whatever Kodak film was the cheapest. Now I know the real reason why my digital photo's seemed so much better than what I used to get with my FM2 are due to the film I was using, and the places I used to get it developed.

healyzh 10-25-2011 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by K14 (Post 1738496)
Taking pictures with anything but a cellphone makes you a pervert.

Gary

Actually I thought it was the other way around...

At the same time, believe it or not, I never linked cameras with perverts until the Internet.