Rangefinderforum.com

Rangefinderforum.com (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Leica Screw Mount Copies (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Nicca Questions (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112081)

MarcyThorne 10-24-2011 14:51

Nicca Questions

My father loved to used rangerfinders and had several Leicas. He has passed away and before he died he sold off his camera equipment. I have aquired the family home and discovered a Nicca 3s rangefinder w/a Nikkor 5cm HC f/2 lens. I am trying to determine if I should sell this camera or is it worth keeping. I have sold stuff on ebay before and I have been bombarded with emails regarding questions so the knowledge I have of it the decision I can make. I do have some photography background but the camera threw me.

1Is Nicca and Nikon the same company?

2, I am assuming 5cm is a early 50mm. What does the HC stand for?

3, Is there a way to determine the year of this model.. Like a serial # database of a "design tell"?

4. How much is a camera like this worth?

I appreciate any help or info (pros/cons) you can give can give me.

Marcy

ferider 10-24-2011 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcyThorne (Post 1737826)
My father loved to used rangerfinders and had several Leicas. He has passed away and before he died he sold off his camera equipment. I have aquired the family home and discovered a Nicca 3s rangefinder w/a Nikkor 5cm HC f/2 lens. I am trying to determine if I should sell this camera or is it worth keeping. I have sold stuff on ebay before and I have been bombarded with emails regarding questions so the knowledge I have of it the decision I can make. I do have some photography background but the camera threw me.

1Is Nicca and Nikon the same company?

2, I am assuming 5cm is a early 50mm. What does the HC stand for?

3, Is there a way to determine the year of this model.. Like a serial # database of a "design tell"?

4. How much is a camera like this worth?

I appreciate any help or info (pros/cons) you can give can give me.

Marcy

1.) They were different companies. Here is a history of Nicca http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/iannorris.../histnicca.htm
2.) H = Hex (6 elements), C = Coated; the Nikkor 5cm/2 is a clone of the Zeiss 5cm/2 Sonnar.
3.) It's hard to pin-point exactly. Early 50s, I am guessing - a photo will help in being more accurate.
4.) This very much depends on the shape; if in good condition, easily US 400 or more.

These are fun cameras. With the family history, try it before you decide on selling.

Roland.

xayraa33 10-24-2011 15:27

http://sites.google.com/site/ldtomei/nicca3-s1954

farlymac 10-24-2011 16:45

Nicca was bought by Yashima Optical in the late '50s, which then combined the two names to become Yashica. It's a very capable camera, with several modifications to the original Leica design, including the lever wind. I've seen some decent and some crazy prices for these, so it's hard to tell what a good ballpark figure would be. Not having been serviced or used in quite a while will affect the selling price, and the operation of the mechanicals. Of course, if I found a camera that belonged to my father, it would never leave my possesion, except for a CLA at a professional repair shop. Mark Hama should be able to do a decent work-up on it for you. And that Nikon lens is a great performer.

PF

MarcyThorne 10-24-2011 17:38

Photos of Camera

3 Attachment(s)
Ohkay I hope I posted these photos right. This is the camera. I would say it is in very good condition, maybe even pristine It shows no sign of wear. I found a old roll of unused film and loaded it. I fired it at all the shutter speeds it sounds to be tripping accurately. I use Nikon and Pentax SLR. I know this doesn't have a mirror but it sound to be accurate.

xayraa33 10-24-2011 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcyThorne (Post 1737880)
Ohkay I hope I posted these photos right. This is the camera. I would say it is in very good condition, maybe even pristine It shows no sign of wear. I found a old roll of unused film and loaded it. I fired it at all the shutter speeds it sounds to be tripping accurately. I use Nikon and Pentax SLR. I know this doesn't have a mirror but it sound to be accurate.

Put some film through her and try the Nicca out.
These are great cameras and that Nikkor lens is a real charm.

tennis-joe 10-25-2011 06:25

I really love these cameras and if you get a good one it is as silent as Leica IIIf. The Nikkor lenses are outstanding and will match anything Leica puts out during those times. Story was that during the Korean War photographers used the Nikkor lenses on their Leica Cameras. I can't tell you if that is true but I have read that story.
Joe

MarcyThorne 10-25-2011 18:12

update on Nicca

:(

Looks like I have to sell.

Marcy

farlymac 10-26-2011 09:26

Sorry to hear that. Hope you find a good home for it.

PF

L David Tomei 11-07-2011 04:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by xayraa33 (Post 1737839)

I love my Nicca... I trust a good home will be found for yours. However, I need to apologize for the unfortunate condition of our web site :o. It had been "migrated" by Google a while ago and repairing the HTML code damage for the many pages is beyond me for the time being.

Ciao!
David