PDA

View Full Version : Simplification, part deux.

Ken Ford
10-01-2010, 05:42
My original belly-button gazing on the topic from last year (warning, it turned into a bit of a kerfuffle): http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80448

Taking a few months away from RFF has helped me clarify what I need in my RF kit. I was already shedding gear - my M3, the If - and now I think it's time to take another big step.

Background - I've been working mostly with a 35/75 kit for a few years now and am now sure it's what works best for me. I also gave 28/35/75, 28/35/90, 28/40/75 and 28/40/90 a fair trial, but I keep coming back to 35/75.

So, I think it's time to shed *everything* RF except the M6 and the 35 Cron plus the Blad kit and apply the proceeds to a used 75 Cron, with any leftovers applied to a fund for a second M6 body to be dedicated to the 75.

For some reason coming to this conclusion has been painful; I blame my mother, who used to make me go through my toybox every few months and *throw away* some of my toys. ;)

I think I'll be better for it, though - and I'll have the two lenses I really, really want instead of just one and a substitute.

thomasw_
10-01-2010, 06:27
Ken, I share your instinct to shoot with a basic kit that just works. I, too, use a 35/75 combination as one of my 2 RF kits; the other is a 28/50 kit. I think I am very fortunate to be able to afford 2 M kits. If I were in a bind, I think I could adjust and be very satisfied with one of these kits. Finally, I share your desire to be rid of gear that seems superfluous. It rids me of distracting used gear....

Best, Thomas