PDA

View Full Version : Fuji X100 Digital SOMETHING from Fujifilm

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

teo
09-20-2010, 00:23
Damn... just when I swore I won't buy any other gear for a long time... there comes out my dream camera... :bang:

btgc
09-20-2010, 00:25
Damn... just when I swore I won't buy any other gear for a long time... there comes out my dream camera... :bang:

Not a problem really - arrange your GF/wife buys you a gift in package with letters F U J I on it by your CC. Technically, you are clean :D

amateriat
09-20-2010, 00:36
I also think we might have set a record for people following a recent thread. (28 members, and 110 guests at the moment...that tells you–and maybe Fuji–something right there!)

- Barrett

Sparrow
09-20-2010, 00:39
.. a rewind switch, shutter speed dial and, and! vulcanite! wow ...

Vobluda
09-20-2010, 00:44
Just wait till you try Fujinon lenses with EBC and then you will know the real meaning of word spoiled:-)

biggest question mark for me is the optics... i have gotten so spoiled by Leica lenses.

yanidel
09-20-2010, 00:57
Who needs a distance scale on the lens when there's a DOF scale in the viewfinder... :rolleyes:
I do, it allows to pre-focus before raising the camera to your eyes. Just quicker this way when you need to me stealthy.

yanidel
09-20-2010, 00:59
to me it's not a replacement for a rangefinder... it's an AND camera!

everything your DP2 should have been :p

biggest question mark for me is the optics... i have gotten so spoiled by Leica lenses.
There is no match for the foveon sensor ;) (ok at ISO100 only ...)

Jamie Pillers
09-20-2010, 01:01
Or even when the Leica X1 showed up.

chambrenoire
09-20-2010, 01:08
Maybe Leica knew this was coming and have already countered it?

Pretty sure Leica will "buy" the Fuji X100 model and release it under say a "Leica X2". This camera looks awesome!

jorgen83
09-20-2010, 01:09
I do, it allows to pre-focus before raising the camera to your eyes. Just quicker this way when you need to me stealthy.

You're obviously still thinking manual focus ;)

Strangeluv
09-20-2010, 01:22
This thread makes me happy! I can easily see the X100 alongside my M8 instead of replacing it.

Sparrow
09-20-2010, 01:23
.. if only it had one of them instrument dials like the rd1 ...

ChrisN
09-20-2010, 01:26
??? ... Where is the distance scale on the lens ? ...

Who needs a distance scale on the lens when there's a DOF scale in the viewfinder... :rolleyes:

Actually Fuji make the argument themself for the external distance scale - in one of the announcements they make the point that the aperture and shutter speed can be set and confirmed without the camera switched on - surely a nod to the requirements of the street photographer. Snapshot mode for autofocus cameras is now well established and should be implemented in this one too, but I'd like to have the conventional DOF scale as well please. Use the best of traditional technology where it works and is sufficient, and introduce as much new tech as is needed.

DNG RAW? that would be nice, but Adobe has been pretty good about making their free DNG converter software handle most proprietary RAW formats. I still use the standalone DNG Converter with my Pentax dSLR as the PEF files are compressed lossless, and I can fit more on a card (compared with uncompressed DNG).

I'm very much in favour of the fixed 23mm lens. For a first release camera Fuji should concentrate on achieving outstanding image quality and excellent viewfinder and autofocus systems. That's easier to do with a fixed lens with fixed focal length.

I'll say I'm pretty impressed with this and will certainly consider purchase. :)

Paul T.
09-20-2010, 01:39
If memory serves, the Hexar AF was expensive when it came out. So $1600, painful as that sounds, maybe is the right pricepoint. The GF1, good as it is, has far more unacceptable compromises than this, particularly where the VF is concerned, and that was 2/3rds of the price.

I wish they'd used active IR autofocus as on the Hexar, but I accept they're already packed a lot of new technology in there. For the first time, I'm thinking of selling all my film gear bar the Hexar and CL.

Damaso
09-20-2010, 01:50
This is the camera the x1 should have been. If only it had interchangeable lenses! Nevertheless if it is priced at less than $1500 Leica better look out!

jorgen83
09-20-2010, 01:51
Sadly, selling all my camera gear won't even get me halfway the $1600 mark :S

Frankie
09-20-2010, 01:52
......but I'd like to have the conventional DOF scale as well please.

......DNG RAW?

Visit: http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2010/09/19/the-leica-x1-has-some-competition-the-new-fuji-x100/

There you will see a large image of the O/EVF where there is a distance scale in the bottom with the DoF highlighted in white, also shutter speed, f-stop, ISO; and the +/- 2-stops scale on the left; and WB [top left] and Image Number L/F chosen (?) [top right].

There is also a RAW button [lower right] in the camera back.

pvdhaar
09-20-2010, 01:59
If memory serves, the Hexar AF was expensive when it came out..
Your memory serves you well indeed; I still remember the sticker shock when I set out to buy one in the mid-ninetees. It was about 1350 guilders at that time. If that same camera would be lying new in the shops today, it would cost 1350 euros..

macmx
09-20-2010, 02:12
Does anyone know if it has manual white balance?

mabelsound
09-20-2010, 02:13
I suspect they will keep this under a thousand dollars, otherwise people will just buy a NEX or EP2 or GF1 kit.

If I could design the fixed-lens digicam of my dreams, it would look pretty much 100% exactly like this. The controls are perfect. Unbelievable!

jorgen83
09-20-2010, 02:14
Nobody knows... ;)

amateriat
09-20-2010, 02:19
A lot of stuff with this camera is up in the air, including the "Made in Japan" part. More will be revealed once the dust clears, of course.

- Barrett

Frankie
09-20-2010, 02:20

Yes it does...in camera back at 6 o'clock position of the Menu/OK round dial.

macmx
09-20-2010, 02:25
Yes it does...in camera back at 6 o'clock position of the Menu/OK round dial.

Ah fantastic. I am getting this camera unless someone else comes out with a similar and better product (Leica or Zeiss).

jerdjets
09-20-2010, 02:32
Owww, I am drooling all over my PC right now. I just hope the manual focus ring is fully mechanic instead of focus by wire crap like mtf. If it is, I d be the first one to place an order.

chrisso
09-20-2010, 02:51
I'm guessing that this Fuji may be the only product at this year's Photokina that actually matters.

Wow, things are getting a little ahead of themselves here.
The single lens choice is a compromise for me, although I agree the camera looks to be a GREAT new addition to the digital arsenal.
Price is going to be key.
I see $1,000 to $1600 being punted. But Fuji are saying a camera for 'professionals' in their press release. What's the price of other professional level digital cameras, especially those with larger sensors? Usually way above $1600.

Pickett Wilson
09-20-2010, 02:52
If it is produced, six months later we'll all be drooling over the next big thing. The holy grail stays just beyond our grasp. If it comes to be, this will be at least a $2,000 camera.

Lss
09-20-2010, 02:58
This could very well be my next digital purchase.

So, what am I going to do when I already have M8 and R-D1? Sell the Epson? I don't want to. I think I may need yet another camera bag in 2011.

flessas
09-20-2010, 03:01
A wonderful piece of equipment !!!!

Please with interchangeable lenses and I will pay Euro 2,000.- for it !!!!

Fuji you did my day -:)

noimmunity
09-20-2010, 03:07
It's at moments like these that I always wonder why the heck I have so much of my limited resources tied up in M system lenses :bang:

This looks like a very fun and rewarding-to-use camera. From the looks of it, I'd say that in 90% of the shooting I do, I'd rather have this than my M8 + 28 cron.

porktaco
09-20-2010, 03:08
....available in 2011 sometime

Viktor Sebastian
09-20-2010, 03:11
Olympus is trying to play as well.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10092010olyzuikolenscompact.asp

Paul T.
09-20-2010, 03:12
If it is produced, six months later we'll all be drooling over the next big thing. The holy grail stays just beyond our grasp. If it comes to be, this will be at least a $2,000 camera.

Speak for yourself! I have never drooled over digital cameras, they are functional, usually irritatingly unergonomic objects that simply serve a purpose.

This camera comes closest to my, and many others', personal ideal digital, since the R-D1; the first digital that can perform most of the functions of my favroutie film cameras. It's unarguable that it's a significant step forward - altho I agree the price is likely to be closer to $2000 than to $1000.

morgan
09-20-2010, 03:18
Love it! If it's around 1k and high iso IQ looks good, I'm in.

jorgen83
09-20-2010, 03:22

I second the motion.

yanidel
09-20-2010, 03:32
Visit: http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2010/09/19/the-leica-x1-has-some-competition-the-new-fuji-x100/

There you will see a large image of the O/EVF where there is a distance scale in the bottom with the DoF highlighted in white, also shutter speed, f-stop, ISO; and the +/- 2-stops scale on the left; and WB [top left] and Image Number L/F chosen (?) [top right].

There is also a RAW button [lower right] in the camera back.
It is nice ot have it in the viewfinder, but again the main advantage of the DOF scale on the focus ring is that you can pre-focus before raising the camera to your eyes. Very important for stealth in street photography.

flip
09-20-2010, 03:37

Fuji tends to do well in the iso race, which is promising. Given the f2 lens, it had better be, since the thing lacks a built-in flash to attract the casual shooter.

I recall the great iso performance of the f30 and want to see what the last few years' dev efforts have produced.

I must admit I cringe a bit, however. Over the last year, I have watched many folks with an EP-1 or 2 and secretly taken heart i knowing that - with its flaws - it was still inferior to a film RF for my needs. I might feel some envy when those same folks upgrade next year.

jorgen83
09-20-2010, 03:46
Fuji tends to do well in the iso race, which is promising. Given the f2 lens, it had better be, since the thing lacks a built-in flash to attract the casual shooter.

It has a flash...

flip
09-20-2010, 03:53
It has a flash...

Well, I feel like a dope. :o Autopilot kicks in and I figure that's the spot for the viewfinder illumination..... darn tiny flash.

jorgen83
09-20-2010, 03:56
It's prolly only there to attract the casual shooter :P Anybody with any sense would never use a flash ;)

Griffin
09-20-2010, 03:57
It's like a digital Yashica!

MatthewThompson
09-20-2010, 03:58
Olympus is playing as well.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10092010olyzuikolenscompact.asp

Not even in the same sandbox.

alexnotalex
09-20-2010, 04:02
Fuji X100 reminds me of my Olympus 35RC.
it takes batteries too!

Matus
09-20-2010, 04:08
Cool camera indeed, but not a PRO camera. APS-C sensor so no true low light (I mean D3 performance). Only fixed lens - also not a pro feature. Hexar AF was not a camera designed for pros either. So I also belong to the camp that things that this camera needs to be priced below $1000 otherwise it will be in the same camp like the X1 - rich amateurs.

I do hope that this camera was not only designed, but also priced for us - highly involved, educated, demanding, not-that-wealthy, still-film-shooting enthusiasts :angel:

tom.w.bn
09-20-2010, 04:17
Cool camera indeed, but not a PRO camera. APS-C sensor so no true low light (I mean D3 performance). Only fixed lens - also not a pro feature. Hexar AF was not a camera designed for pros either. So I also belong to the camp that things that this camera needs to be priced below $1000 otherwise it will be in the same camp like the X1 - rich amateurs.

I do hope that this camera was not only designed, but also priced for us - highly involved, educated, demanding, not-that-wealthy, still-film-shooting enthusiasts :angel:

I think the marketing of the camera aims at the same group that would buy a X1: enthusiasts who can afford it.

But I don't know why a PRO camera must not have an APS-C sensor? Not every pro needs D3 performance. The fixed focal length is far more limiting for professional use.

sevo
09-20-2010, 04:18
I see $1,000 to $1600 being punted. But Fuji are saying a camera for 'professionals' in their press release. What's the price of other professional level digital cameras, especially those with larger sensors? Usually way above $1600.

Having gone through my share of Fuji Professional film cameras (GX, GA, GSW) I tend to agree, Fuji never was at the budget end of the pro market, and targeted niches above the Nikon/Canon/Mamiya mainstream. This one bears a striking resemblance to the GA645Zi, which sold for about $2500 new - and I'd expect something similar here.

M like Leica M6
09-20-2010, 04:21

Street photographers. And I am one of them. Why is it so difficult to put a scale on a lens? Why is it called progress if a manufacturer puts another electronic gadget into an overloaded, tiny 0.5/90% viewfinder if it only does the same thing as a simple scale?

Forgive me for peeing on the carpet:

It is confirmed that it has the same two years old sensor as the entry-level cameras Pentax K-x, Ricoh GXR and Nikon D90. This means that low noise at high ISO is something we better don't expect. So, are we talking about "Leica quality" here or about "good enough for the family album and a bit more"?
Manual focus - how?
90% viewfinder - why?
Fast autofocus - oh, really? Doesn't the camera industry promise that since about 1952? (B.C., that is..)
Short shutter lag - how short can it be on a camera that is made for AF? Probably it's short when you turn off AF. Today, the shutter lag in digital compact cameras is still too long for still life images: make sure all fruit in the image is fresh when you press the button because it will take a while until the image is taken.
The LCD display is fixed and cannot be used as a WLF.
$1700, says Fuji, a lot of money for a fixed lens rangefinder hat has no rangefinder, and an almost out-dated sensor. This is not a replacement for a Leica M8 or M9. The above-mentioned Pentax K-x and Nikon D90 with the same sensor cost 1/4 to 1/2 of the new Fuji.

Forgive my rant, but I will probably wait for the replies of Canon, Nikon, Leica and Cosina/Voigtländer/Zeiss. Canon's new G12 is probably a very tough competitor when it comes to image quality but with a very 'digital' usability - at one third of the price.

If this camera is shown at Photokina I will steal it and report about my impressions :cool:

Paddy C
09-20-2010, 04:23
Regarding price, I would also keep in mind the recent Fuji film folder.

That started a similar case of the "wants" amongst many until the price dropped. Then it was all tears and outrage.

I would be beyond shocked if this camera sells for less than $1K.

I would not be at all shocked to see a $2K price tag. Not one little bit.

jsrockit
09-20-2010, 04:26
This will cost more than the Leica, but nevertheless (assuming it all works) it's going to kill sales of the X1. I wonder what Leica can pull out of the hat at Photokina ?

I just don't see this happening. There are a huge group of Leica users that don't use anything but Leica. They won't even give this Fuji the time of day.

Myself? I'll keep using my X1 even when I buy this Fuji! :eek:

tritiated
09-20-2010, 04:28
They have really done their homework, if execution is as good as design and specification appears to be - then this could be something really special.

How long have people been asking for a digital HexarAF on here? awesome.

Thinking of professionals;
Could it be follow after the x1 to be 'approved' by getty (whatever that means in reality)
http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/1727025/getty-images-approves-compact-camera

Paul T.
09-20-2010, 04:32
Cool camera indeed, but not a PRO camera. Only fixed lens - also not a pro feature. Hexar AF was not a camera designed for pros either.
So I assume you don't count Annie Liebowitz, just one of many HExar AF owners, as a pro?

As pointed out above, the Hexar AF was a pricey item. I've a feeling this will be, too.

Pickett Wilson
09-20-2010, 04:37
M like, shutter lag isn't really an issue with modern digital cameras. You obviously haven't tried one lately.

Soothsayerman
09-20-2010, 04:38
If it's a real rangefinder and it's decent, I would get one in a sec.

vincentbenoit
09-20-2010, 04:39
Where's the fully analog control for fast scale focusing? The small thumbwheel at the back of the camera might well be a focussing wheel, but it doesn't seem to be labelled with a distance scale... So it looks like prefocusing won't be possible without having to use the LCD screen. Which sucks. :mad:

Of the course the camera doesn't exist yet, so there's no point speculating about this kind of thing, right? :D

Vincent

jorgen83
09-20-2010, 04:41
So I assume you don't count Annie Liebowitz, just one of many HExar AF owners, as a pro?

As pointed out above, the Hexar AF was a pricey item. I've a feeling this will be, too.

Ah, but nowadays your camera defines whether you're a pro, not your photographs... ;)

Paul T.
09-20-2010, 04:41
Street photographers.Why is it so difficult to put a scale on a lens? W
Agreed. But this is still far more usable than most other compacts, about the same as the Hexar AF - which many people regard as the best street camera.

It is confirmed that it has the same two years old sensor as the entry-level cameras Pentax K-x, Ricoh GXR and Nikon D90.
is it? Not disagreeing, just would love to see more info.

Canon's new G12 is probably a very tough competitor when it comes to image quality but with a very 'digital' usability - at one third of the price.
My G10 didn't even approach the image quality of the GF1. I don't doubt that the X100 is an order of magnitude better. The X100 might be average for an APS-C sensor, but that still sets it well apart from compacts, and micro fourthirds, too.

igi
09-20-2010, 04:45
$1700, says Fuji, a lot of money for a fixed lens rangefinder hat has no rangefinder, and an almost out-dated sensor. This is not a replacement for a Leica M8 or M9. The above-mentioned Pentax K-x and Nikon D90 with the same sensor cost 1/4 to 1/2 of the new Fuji.

Sheesh... why does it always have to have a rangefinder... it's not even a rangefinder!

emraphoto
09-20-2010, 04:46
Have u seen the high iso offerings out of a pentax k-x?

Pretty staggering really.

semordnilap
09-20-2010, 04:50
anyone looked at the google rankings for 'finepix x100'?

i really hope this thing is a hit & everyone else copies the idea...!!!

yanidel
09-20-2010, 04:52
Sheesh... why does it always have to have a rangefinder... it's not even a rangefinder!
Maybe because we are on a rangefinder forum in case you haven't notice ? ;)

vincentbenoit
09-20-2010, 04:52
Forgive my rantThis is not a rant. These are legitimate concerns. ;)

Vincent

jerdjets
09-20-2010, 04:53
Street photographers. And I am one of them. Why is it so difficult to put a scale on a lens? Why is it called progress if a manufacturer puts another electronic gadget into an overloaded, tiny 0.5/90% viewfinder if it only does the same thing as a simple scale?

Forgive me for peeing on the carpet:

It is confirmed that it has the same two years old sensor as the entry-level cameras Pentax K-x, Ricoh GXR and Nikon D90. This means that low noise at high ISO is something we better don't expect. So, are we talking about "Leica quality" here or about "good enough for the family album and a bit more"?
Manual focus - how?
90% viewfinder - why?
Fast autofocus - oh, really? Doesn't the camera industry promise that since about 1952? (B.C., that is..)
Short shutter lag - how short can it be on a camera that is made for AF? Probably it's short when you turn off AF. Today, the shutter lag in digital compact cameras is still too long for still life images: make sure all fruit in the image is fresh when you press the button because it will take a while until the image is taken.
The LCD display is fixed and cannot be used as a WLF.

Forgive my rant, but I will probably wait for the replies of Canon, Nikon, Leica and Cosina/Voigtländer/Zeiss. Canon's new G12 is probably a very tough competitor when it comes to image quality but with a very 'digital' usability - at one third of the price.

If this camera is shown at Photokina I will steal it and report about my impressions :cool:

Agreed, I am one of those that needs dof scale on the lens, pre-focusing allows me to shoot much faster in the street.

Fuji's hybrid view finder is a nice little touch to their compact digital camera, but when I think about it. Sony's swivel's LCD is probably more valuable to a street photographer allowing them to be more stealthy taking shots from the waist.

X100 probably use focus by wire mechanism, the exact focussing mechanism found in panny GF1 and Ep series. It's nowhere near as fast and as precise as mechanical focussing on M lens.

Still, it looks like a fine camera. I'd take it over the X1.

M like Leica M6
09-20-2010, 04:54
M like, shutter lag isn't really an issue with modern digital cameras. You obviously haven't tried one lately.

I tried a few lately, in fact, and I am still shivering. I spoke about compact cameras. A lot depends on whether the AF is fast or not and how often these cameras with their f/8 to f/16 zoom lenses charge their miniature strobes.

semordnilap
09-20-2010, 04:55
Ha. The Online Photographer is down... never seen that before! Someone finally releases the DMD and everyone runs to TOP to read about it.

M like Leica M6
09-20-2010, 04:57
Have u seen the high iso offerings out of a pentax k-x?

Pretty staggering really.

Well, I saw the results and was not very impressed. Maybe it is unfair that I compare it with my EOS 5D2 :eek:

M like Leica M6
09-20-2010, 04:59
Ha. The Online Photographer is down... never seen that before! Someone finally releases the DMD and everyone runs to TOP to read about it.

That downtime is called "The Photokina Effect". :rolleyes:

swoop
09-20-2010, 04:59
I think this would be a fantastic weekend or in car camera for the off duty pro.

tom.w.bn
09-20-2010, 05:05
I tried a few lately, in fact, and I am still shivering. I spoke about compact cameras. A lot depends on whether the AF is fast or not and how often these cameras with their f/8 to f/16 zoom lenses charge their miniature strobes.

If Alex Majoli is able to do street photography with a Canon G10, on top viewfinder and presets successfully and you are too slow, then this is just a lack of skills on your side :angel:

Avotius
09-20-2010, 05:15
If I had not just bought a M8 I would be saying....im sold. Maybe I will buy one of these for my wife, she loves retro looking cameras....then I will steal it.

M like Leica M6
09-20-2010, 05:16
If Alex Majoli is able to do street photography with a Canon G10, on top viewfinder and presets successfully and you are too slow, then this is just a lack of skills on your side :angel:

Sure, it's all about skills.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3039/3048046116_182349a7de_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3362/3571490730_19da96ba0a_b.jpg

The only problem is that a camera that I don't love to use drives me nuts.

douglasf13
09-20-2010, 05:33
The viewfinder shows distance scales, and that'll undoubtedly also be viewable on the rear LCD.

emraphoto
09-20-2010, 05:38

i don't think that's fair. i used a g10 a while, same fashion as mentioned, and it didn't jive. i produced some good work that in the end sold well but the lag was an issue i could not get over.

as mentioned, i cannot handle using a camera i don't dig. pretty simple really.

jsrockit
09-20-2010, 05:45
If memory serves, the Hexar AF was expensive when it came out. .

Wasn't it $500?

tom.w.bn
09-20-2010, 05:45
i don't think that's fair. i used a g10 a while, same fashion as mentioned, and it didn't jive. i produced some good work that in the end sold well but the lag was an issue i could not get over.

as mentioned, i cannot handle using a camera i don't dig. pretty simple really.

I must admit that it was not quite fair. I had the G10 for some time and when you preset a lot then it's not really slow but way slower than a M camera or DSLR.

Miserere
09-20-2010, 05:46
Here is my opinion (http://enticingthelight.com/2010/09/19/fujifilm-finepix-x100-where-the-hell-did-this-come-from/#opinion); a bit long for the forum. But in short: I'm afraid Fuji are being foolish to test the waters with a fixed-lens camera when an interchangeable lens system would have been a resounding success. If the X100 isn't a high seller, it will kill our chances of an affordable rangefinder(ish) digital, when releasing such a camera straight away would have answered pretty much everyone's prayers.

kshapero
09-20-2010, 05:47
Reminds me of the Panasonic DMC-L1 except smaller and without interchangeable lenses.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/vZ2825k1LTOQKSwiZ204T5BDjweYOEhoeYrDA7IafYnjYJV37W QEi1oJTTPemuMAeKLWNV-aH5StIgY6gWOxIyHFlY43xoTEWlhUx-nPKkiyjBYlB8Esn_kyfiZL

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81Ou6qcMHaS._AA1500_.jpg

tom.w.bn
09-20-2010, 05:47
Wasn't it $500?

When I bought it in 1998 it was 999 DEM (Deutsche Mark, no EURO back then). When I remember right, the M6 was 4.000 DEM at that time.

jsrockit
09-20-2010, 05:48
Regarding price, I would also keep in mind the recent Fuji film folder.

That started a similar case of the "wants" amongst many until the price dropped. Then it was all tears and outrage.

I would be beyond shocked if this camera sells for less than $1K.

I would not be at all shocked to see a $2K price tag. Not one little bit.

I agree, people always think something is going to be priced way too cheap. This camera, compared to what is on the market, is clearly worth $1500-2000 and would even sell at $2500 to many here. Anything less than the X1's price makes this a great deal. You cannot compare it to a DSLR. It is a niche camera, not a mainstream camera.

Steve_F
09-20-2010, 05:50
That's the best looking digital I've ever seen.

Please be affordable

Please be affordable

Please be affordable

I can't afford an X1 so....
Please please please please be affordable...PLEASE.

Steve.

Kolame
09-20-2010, 05:51
For the ones, speaking Spanish: http://www.dslrmagazine.com/digital/camaras-de-telemetro-y-especiales/fujifilm-x100-toma-de-con-2.html
I made my way through it, thanks for having Spanish in school for five years, after all, it gave me something...
In short:
-Viewfinder is humongous. They compare it to Leica M.
-Build quality is absolutely nice.
-The wheel for shutter-times clicks nicely. It’s harder to turn than the X1 one. That’s positive.
-What they are able to tell from the lens, is nice! :) They say it’s good. Real tests will show.
-All in all no negative point, I believe, there must be something. They don’t believe, it’s going to be cheap. Well, that’s nothing new.

So far,
Kolame

hteasley
09-20-2010, 05:52
I think the interest here is clearly borne out of disappointment with the X1. The X1, while a pretty great camera, leads you down the garden path: you can clearly see the path ahead that it did not take. The X100 looks like it is much further down that path. If it can equal the image quality of the X1, it'll be a winner.

jsrockit
09-20-2010, 05:53
Here is my opinion (http://enticingthelight.com/2010/09/19/fujifilm-finepix-x100-where-the-hell-did-this-come-from/#opinion); a bit long for the forum. But in short: I'm afraid Fuji are being foolish to test the waters with a fixed-lens camera when an interchangeable lens system would have been a resounding success.

It'll be a success regardless. Many people love the 35mm focal length. Interchangable lenses aren't everything in this type of camera.

Everyone expects a M9 at $2000 by these manufactuers, but it isn't going to happen. Then Fuji finally seems to get it right and people still complain...

M like Leica M6
09-20-2010, 05:53
The viewfinder shows distance scales, and that'll undoubtedly also be viewable on the rear LCD.

Yes, on the back of the camera. The LCD is fixed and can't be swiveled, right?

Why do camera manufacturers believe we like to buy cameras that we need to hold at arm's length? :D

tom.w.bn
09-20-2010, 05:55
Yes, on the back of the camera. The LCD is fixed and can't be swiveled, right?

Why do camera manufacturers believe we like to buy cameras that we need to hold at arm's length? :D

No. the VIEWFINDER shows a distance scale. At least in the catalogue.

Kolame
09-20-2010, 05:58
Oh my God, how I wished, it was with interchangeable lenses, for 35mm they should have released sth. like:
-15mm 4
-28mm 2,8
-35mm 2,
-50mm 1,8
-75mm 2,5
-90mm 2,8

M like Leica M6
09-20-2010, 06:01

So, you have to look into the viewfinder to see a groundbreaking electronic gizmo that would not not necessary if they had put a simple scale on the lens? Wow, that will help streetshooters...

To me, that's a little like using a CCD camera in the back of a car and replacing the rear mirrors with monitors.

But we can count ourselves lucky because other than in many cameras even Toyota does not use a monitor as a replacement for the windshield... :D

alexnotalex
09-20-2010, 06:02
::steps back::

we all so much want an affordable M9... are we so keen to abandon film after all...??

::ducks for cover::

emraphoto
09-20-2010, 06:02
Someone had asked 'manual focus, how?'

wouldn't focus confirmation and the already existing focus ring work?

arturo
09-20-2010, 06:03
To those regretting or complaining about the fixed lens: I think this is a constraint imposed by the OVF. I would be too complicated, particularly for a first attempt, to build a zoom optical viewfinder.

Paul T.
09-20-2010, 06:03
No?

read through, and you'll see people understand this very well. Why wouldn't the screen show a distance scale, too? So, you don't mean no, you mean "I don't think so, but I don't really know."

Everyone expects a M9 at $2000 by these manufactuers, but it isn't going to happen. Then Fuji finally seems to get it right and people still complain...

Yup. We all have an addiction to comparing prices with our discount GF1s or second hand M6s or hexar AFs. Much as I'd like to pay $900, it ain't gonna happen for a Cult Camera - like this will become.

tom.w.bn
09-20-2010, 06:08
No?

read through, and you'll see people understand this very well. Why wouldn't the screen show a distance scale, too? So, you don't mean no, you mean "I don't think so, but I don't really know."

Someone wrote "Why do camera manufacturers believe we like to buy cameras that we need to hold at arm's length? ".

My answer was, that you have a distance scale in the viewfinder so there is no need to look at the screen. So "No" is the right answer. No?

M like Leica M6
09-20-2010, 06:13
To those regretting or complaining about the fixed lens: I think this is a constraint imposed by the OVF. I would be too complicated, particularly for a first attempt, to build a zoom optical viewfinder.

The wonderful Canon VT had that in 1957.

jsrockit
09-20-2010, 06:13

You don't have to hold them at arm's length.

M like Leica M6
09-20-2010, 06:15
Someone wrote "Why do camera manufacturers believe we like to buy cameras that we need to hold at arm's length? ".

My answer was, that you have a distance scale in the viewfinder so there is no need to look at the screen. So "No" is the right answer. No?

Well, looking into the viewfinder to see a digital scale or watch a digital display... instead of a simple scale?

Paul T.
09-20-2010, 06:15

He is well aware that there is a distance scale in the viewfinder, he's quoted a statement to that effect. So we're not getting any further, are we?

The lack of distance scale on the lens is a pain, but again, it's functionally pretty similar to the hexar AF, perhaps better for manual focusing - the truth is, we don't know, and it's pretty subjective. I've seen people praise the GF1's manual focus, personally I find it useless.

rover
09-20-2010, 06:16
Great buzz for a new toy. I am very interested in how it comes out. And what else comes out in the mirrorless world. Not giving up the E-P1 though until I am sure this is something better... but it sure looks very promising.

And wow, there are 80 people viewing this one thread. Talk about getting some internet traffic!!!!

kshapero
09-20-2010, 06:21
here is the brochure:

http://finepix.com/x100/en/pack/pdf/x100_English_0906.pdf

tom.w.bn
09-20-2010, 06:24
He is well aware that there is a distance scale in the viewfinder, he's quoted a statement to that effect. So we're not getting any further, are we?

The lack of distance scale on the lens is a pain, but again, it's functionally pretty similar to the hexar AF, perhaps better for manual focusing - the truth is, we don't know, and it's pretty subjective. I've seen people praise the GF1's manual focus, personally I find it useless.

I don' know what someone is aware of so let's stop this.

Manual focussing with the Hexar AF is slow btw and the scale on the Hexar lens is small and useless too. When I wanted to use scale focussing I had a printed scale in my photobag where I looked up what I wanted and dialed that distance into the Hexar. I lived with all the flaws of the Hexar and still love it. The Fuji looks interesting and if the flaws are there where I don't care then it's very interesting.

igi
09-20-2010, 06:27
Well, looking into the viewfinder to see a digital scale or watch a digital display... instead of a simple scale?

I guess they can't put any more numbers on that lens barrel.. I mean look how thin that lens is;)

They probably don't want old people (the market) complaining that they could not read microscopic distance scales:D

Paul T.
09-20-2010, 06:29
I don' know what someone is aware of so let's stop this.

I lived with all the flaws of the Hexar and still love it. The Fuji looks interesting and if the flaws are there where I don't care then it's very interesting.
I agree with both of those statements. But just because we don't find a flaw a deal-breaker, it doesn't mean it's non-existent. Personally, I'm mroe bothered about having aperture on the lens, than a distance scale, but that's just me.

I just hope that this camera functions as seamlessly as the Hexar AF - on a digital, particularly with contrast detect AF, there's so much more to get wrong.

Colin Corneau
09-20-2010, 06:36
It'll be a success regardless. Many people love the 35mm focal length. Interchangable lenses aren't everything in this type of camera.

Amen...completely agree.

antiquark
09-20-2010, 06:38
Lets start talking about what will be fixed in the Fuji X200 ... :angel:

ferider
09-20-2010, 06:39
I agree with both of those statements. But just because we don't find a flaw a deal-breaker, it doesn't mean it's non-existent. Personally, I'm mroe bothered about having aperture on the lens, than a distance scale, but that's just me.

I just hope that this camera functions as seamlessly as the Hexar AF - on a digital, particularly with contrast detect AF, there's so much more to get wrong.

Let's see what it does, Paul ... in theory, with the hybrid viewfinder, they could even overlay a digital RF "patch" over the optical viewfinder. Just a question of firmware now :)

I'm sold. The hybrid viewfinder and 35/2 equ. is something I've been waiting for quite a while now ....

antiquark
09-20-2010, 06:39

Actually, I think the electronic display paves the way to interchangable lenses. The framelines in the viewfinder are electronic, so they can easily change in size depending on the lens.

bobby_novatron
09-20-2010, 06:41
Cool toy! Can't wait to see one in person. If there's this much buzz about it, chances are Fuji's going to be backlogged for orders well into 2011.

I agree -- it would have been great to have a changeable lens mount, but it's a "livable" compromise. If the Fujinon lens is excellent, and the user-interface is good, Fuji will have a real winner on their hands.

PKR
09-20-2010, 06:43
The industrial design is absolutely consistent with the recently-released MF folders.

Yes, I'm sure the same design team was involved. Having owned a number of Fujifilm cameras, I can say they are some of the best cameras I've used. Fuji lens quality is really good.

I currently have an S5 (Nikon built) that is all Nikon outside. The extended dynamic range on the S5 is at the cost of resolution. It's a fair trade. I wonder how the "new" processor will handle the upper bandwidth "blow-out"? This camera is more "Fuji-like" than other current "consumer" products. I wonder who the builder is? Maybe the same as the folder?
p.

bobby_novatron
09-20-2010, 06:50
BTW there's a X100 promotional video, if anyone's interested. It's a "development announcement" by Fuji. The video has the most annoying sound-effects I've ever been subjected to, but it's otherwise interesting:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/engadget/videos/1854/

igi
09-20-2010, 06:53
Fujinon lenses have the sexiest logos :)

Pickett Wilson
09-20-2010, 06:55
The video does sell the sizzle.

rover
09-20-2010, 06:57
Cool toy! Can't wait to see one in person. If there's this much buzz about it, chances are Fuji's going to be backlogged for orders well into 2011.

You have to keep in mind that this is a Development Announcement. In other words, this camera does NOT exist, yet. I guess the announcement is that Fuji will announce this camera in early 2011. Until then....

PKR
09-20-2010, 07:00
Brilliant Common Sense, how Canikon could miss doing this defies all logic but is perfectly predictable.

But the really great news is where this type of camera will be in 2012-2013 after the majors see the validation of the concept.

In the meantime, maybe I'll pick up an $1100 X1 next Summer ;-)

You nailed it Frank! Watch for the response from the other camera companies ..

Frank, check out the "Camera Work" thread. I posted a link to some of your stuff. p.

PKR
09-20-2010, 07:01
Sony APS-C sensor?

M like Leica M6
09-20-2010, 07:03
You nailed it Frank! Watch for the response from the other camera companies ..

This should be the motto of the day.

semilog
09-20-2010, 07:05

Two reasons.

1. Lens size. That lens does not have a lot of room for a focusing scale.
2. Moving mass. Coupling a focus scale would require either a mechanical linkage, increasing the mass that needed to be moved during focusing, or an electronic linkage, which would unquestionably increase the size of the lens.

I prefer this design – especially if they give me a 2 m preset that can be activated through the Fn button next to the shutter release.

ampguy
09-20-2010, 07:06
Fuji makes their own. Their tiny ones for p&s models are amazing.

I think they call them Exmor Super CCDs.

Sony APS-C sensor?

Pickett Wilson
09-20-2010, 07:12
Will the X100 finally kill the film camera on RFF? :angel:

RayPA
09-20-2010, 07:12
You have to keep in mind that this is a Development Announcement. In other words, this camera does NOT exist, yet. ....

Me thinks that Fuji DT has been lurking on RFF (from the DPReview article):D:
"Other cameras on the market look to fill the need for the ultimate ‘compact’ professional camera, but the Fujifilm development team believe that, having listened to the marketplace, the FinePix X100 offers a number of technical developments that will set this camera apart from other contenders."

Who else has been screaming so loudly for some of these features? No doubt based on the response here, this camera will come to fruition. :D

/

semilog
09-20-2010, 07:13
Sony APS-C sensor?

That's the rumor, and if so, it's fantastic news. The Sony EXMOR sensor is IMO still the best APS-C sensor on the market, lagging the D700 by only about a stop, and nearly equalling it in DR, in a far smaller package. Falk Lumo's testing is fascinating reading (http://falklumo.blogspot.com/2009/12/lumolabs-sensors-of-nikon-d700-d5000.html) if you're technically-minded.

If Fuji have merely equalled the performance of the imaging pipeline in the K-x (either by using a Sony sensor or with a proprietary design), I'll be ecstatic.

The custom(-ized?) sensor with eccentric microlenses suggests that Fuji are taking this project very seriously, i.e., that it is not intended merely as a boutique project, but as the first step in a campaign.

RayPA
09-20-2010, 07:13

no. and why would anyone wish for such a thing?? :angel:

/

Pickett Wilson
09-20-2010, 07:14
Not a wish, just an observation.

semilog
09-20-2010, 07:18

Can't speak for you, but I am LOVING the idea of having an X100 next to the M6 in my bag. They'd be fast friends, I think.

Frankie
09-20-2010, 07:21
It is nice ot have it in the viewfinder, but again the main advantage of the DOF scale on the focus ring is that you can pre-focus before raising the camera to your eyes. Very important for stealth in street photography.

Use AF, AFL if you must...after setting a small aperture. All three features are supported in the X100.

JayGannon
09-20-2010, 07:22

:bang::bang::bang:

JoeV
09-20-2010, 07:24
What I find interesting is that the camera seems be be squarely aimed at the rangefinder market, not in mere styling (like the EP-1/2 and GF-1) but more importantly in functionality, where it counts. The video gives this away, in the part where they describe the new viewfinder system, they compare it against "standard" viewfinders wherein they provide a 3D illustration of ... a rangefinder system, but without actually calling out the name "rangefinder".

This new hybrid VF system is almost to a tee that fantasized by many of us here on RFF over a year ago, just after we were disappointed by the EVF/LCD paradigm of u4/3, wishing for the best of both worlds. I'm guessing someone at Fuji lurks herein.

Given that Fuji's current MF folder is made by CV, any chance the X100 is also?

This is really interesting from a marketing perspective, since at the outset they seem to be targeting the "professional" market, who's standard viewfinder of choice is the SLR optic. Clearly they've painted a big target across the logo of Leica, and this is the first shot across the bow.

~Joe

ampguy
09-20-2010, 07:25
could make a serious dent in the u4/3, and smaller (s90, lx3/5, grd) growth though ...

kermaier
09-20-2010, 07:27
Actually, I think the electronic display paves the way to interchangable lenses. The framelines in the viewfinder are electronic, so they can easily change in size depending on the lens.

Also, presumably, they can change in size to compensate for FoV change with focus distance, as well as correct for parallax -- with perfect accuracy at all distances. No more questions about framelines optimized for 1m vs. 2m or whatnot....

::Ari

PKR
09-20-2010, 07:28
Fuji makes their own. Their tiny ones for p&s models are amazing.

I think they call them Exmor Super CCDs.

I knew that Fuji made the small stuff and maybe even the image processor (more likely another foundry if the run is small), but I didn't think their fab was producing an APS-C ? Nikon is just moving away from Sony with their own Fab making the FX sensors. You know Nikon and Fuji are on very friendly terms. If you know for sure I would like to know the source. I figured the sensor might even be a Fuji designed, Nikon produced product? I know that Fuji designs all of their sensors, I'm asking about the foundry.

PollitowuzHere
09-20-2010, 07:29
Reading the link in spanish previously posted, they say the lens has a reverse telephoto design, similar to the one used in the Olympus XA.

Brian Sweeney
09-20-2010, 07:30
Will it kill film at RFF- No. Not going to happen.

With as fast as Digital cameras turn over, a lot of people will be replacing their Digital with one. They may supplant their Film camera with one, but not dump it.

When the last roll of film on the planet gets exposed, I'm sure some RFF members will raise funds, buy a molecular resequencer, and start producing film themselves.

Paul T.
09-20-2010, 07:32
None of the mirrorless CDAF cameras have a focusing scale on the lens. This would be the first such camera to indicate the distance, in this case in the viewfinder.

Absolutely. THis alone is a big step forward and a major functional advantage over the GF1 and EPs... add the viewfinder, and these are two huge improvements over the competition, that people here, and elsewhere, have been demanding for years. THey certainly deserve praise for that.

Given it has some key similarities, I wonder if it might have come from the same design house that produced the hexar AF and the Contax G series..

FPjohn
09-20-2010, 07:32
The frame of the vf window is evocative. I'm provoked by the possibility of having both a fully capable "direct view" and a digital rf camera in the same body. 'Must resist!

yours
FPJ

PKR
09-20-2010, 07:34
That's the rumor, and if so, it's fantastic news. The Sony EXMOR sensor is IMO still the best APS-C sensor on the market, lagging the D700 by only about a stop, and nearly equalling it in DR, in a far smaller package. Falk Lumo's testing is fascinating reading (http://falklumo.blogspot.com/2009/12/lumolabs-sensors-of-nikon-d700-d5000.html) if you're technically-minded.

If Fuji have merely equalled the performance of the imaging pipeline in the K-x (either by using a Sony sensor or with a proprietary design), I'll be ecstatic.

The custom(-ized?) sensor with eccentric microlenses suggests that Fuji are taking this project very seriously, i.e., that it is not intended merely as a boutique project, but as the first step in a campaign.

Ya.. I agree as to the Sony product. It's likely a "tweeked" Fuji specific version of the famous Sony APS-C sensor. It's a proven product. The S5 uses a very unusual design for the split pixel sensor, but it' a product of the Sony Fab too, to my knowledge.

M like Leica M6
09-20-2010, 07:39

As the X100 is NOT a rangefinder camera, will it finally kill the rangefinder camera on RFF? :angel:

It's also not a rangefinder, it's not an EVIL (electronic viewfinder interchangeable lens) camera, what is it?

A UPO, and unknown photographing object. :D

ywenz
09-20-2010, 07:48
Hmm looks like amazing camera on paper.

I'm not entirely down with that top cover though.. It looks like all melted.. They should have made the edges crisper.

I'm sure this thing will be expensive.. This is NOT competition to the m4/3 cameras. around $1.5K I feel.

Bobfrance
09-20-2010, 07:51
Now I've finally stopped hyperventilating, I'd just like to say.

I WANT ONE!

That is all.

Steve_F
09-20-2010, 07:56
I want one too.....

409 posts in 17hrs on this thread. People are very interested....

Steve.

Strevo
09-20-2010, 07:58
There is one thing I can absolutely guarantee about this camera. There will be shortages in the UK for a long, long time. Fuji are notorious for short supplying products no matter how popular they are.

Frankie
09-20-2010, 08:03
more pics of the cam here (http://news.cnet.com/2300-17938_3-10004897.html?tag=mncol)

They say a picture is worth a thousand words...indeed.

First, naysayers must now realize the X100 is far more than just an announcement. The display unit, with hands-on fondling, must function and not just a working prototype.

The VF pictures shows different dataset than the brochure...meaning user configurable? It can even project a grid.

Yes, the LCD shows different dataset yet again...meaning user configurable as well?

PKR
09-20-2010, 08:06
more pics of the cam here (http://news.cnet.com/2300-17938_3-10004897.html?tag=mncol)

It looks smaller than an M series? More like an older fixed lens film camera .. Fuji, Minolta, Olympus..no?

jsrockit
09-20-2010, 08:15
It looks smaller than an M series? More like an older fixed lens film camera .. Fuji, Minolta, Olympus..no?

Sure does...

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2010/09/20/Photokina-7_540x360.jpg

This camera just keeps getting better and better... :D

Frankie
09-20-2010, 08:22
They say a picture is worth a thousand words...indeed.

First, naysayers must now realize the X100 is far more than just an announcement. The display unit, with hands-on fondling, must function and not just a working prototype.

The VF pictures shows different dataset than the brochure...meaning user configurable? It can even project a grid.

Yes, the LCD shows different dataset yet again...meaning user configurable as well?

After some image sharpening, the out-of-focus sliding switch shown in picture number 6 says: AF, AF-S, AF-C.

tom.w.bn
09-20-2010, 08:29
Sure does...

This camera just keeps getting better and better... :D

Camera and the girl: very nice.

The good thing about this camera is that it's not available. Focussing your GAS attacks on something that is not available is good for your bank account. Hopefully it's really slow and has a lousy picture quality. Otherwise the GAS attack will continue.

Fuchs
09-20-2010, 08:34
I like, I love, I want.

DITTO

Last Thursday I sold my Contax G2 + Planar 35/2. Moments prior to getting asleep, I asked for a Contax G2, or at least an Hexar AF, gone digital . Looks like we're at it.
But "Early 2011"??? MY GOSH So much time!!
:D

back alley
09-20-2010, 08:39
does that lens read 35mm?

tom.w.bn
09-20-2010, 08:41
does that lens read 35mm?

In that photo it looks like a 35. But here it's clear that it's a 23

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2010/09/20/Photokina-2_540x341.jpg

imokruok
09-20-2010, 08:46
I'll take two. One to use, one to admire. :)

gavinlg
09-20-2010, 08:55
FYI Fujifilm has said that the sensor in this camera will have the best image quality of any digital camera they've produced yet - including dynamic range.

For everyone whining about a focussing scale on the lens - learn how to use a digital camera properly. If you want to scale focus change the focus activation button to the 'AF-L' button on the back, set the lens to your chosen aperture (f5.8 or f8 or whatever) and use that back AF-L button to focus on something around 1-1.5m away. In doing this, you've set and fixed the focus to that distance, left the aperture to cover DOF from there till infinity, and you have NO af lag when you press the shutter. It's exactly the same in result as using the focus scale on a lens, no harder. Besides that there IS a focussing scale INSIDE the viewfinder, which will ALSO be viewable on the rear LCD, meaning you won't have to put the camera up to your eye. Fixed. Done. Gone. No more complaining about it.

Edit: The reason that the lens will probably have a focus by wire mechanism is because it's significantly less mechanically complex to design than a mechanical solution, meaning they can make the lens far smaller. It's probably harder to link parallax adjustment in a body and lens that small too - much easier to just have it done electronically.

I'd rather have the wire focus and a smaller package with similar functionality thankyou very much. Size is one factor that truly matters for this camera.

morgan
09-20-2010, 08:59
Suddenly January seems a long way off...

Ronald_H
09-20-2010, 09:01

Ahem, Leica M's also don't have zoom finders. Why not just show the frames for 35-50-90 (equivalent) like my M2? That should be possible. For teles you can always switch to the EVF, something you cannot do with an M at all...

phisto
09-20-2010, 09:01
Not sure if anyone has posted this link in pages before this but here's the mini site:

http://www.finepix-x100.com/

batterytypehah!
09-20-2010, 09:02

Two different bodies. Look at the strap lugs.

LeicaFoReVer
09-20-2010, 09:03
Camera and the girl: very nice.

The good thing about this camera is that it's not available. Focussing your GAS attacks on something that is not available is good for your bank account. Hopefully it's really slow and has a lousy picture quality. Otherwise the GAS attack will continue.
I would take the girl :D

Well its look is truly authentic!!! so much similarities to leica-m cameras, very cute! they even put the marker for sensor surface, like the film surface...

Oh man thanks fuji!

Arjay
09-20-2010, 09:05
A very interesting camera concept - an EVIL camera w/o interchangeable lens.

However, it's exciting to read between the lines of what we know up to now:

The camera's hybrid viewfinder just needs different frame data and an expanded software, but no different mechanical parts, and it would be useable with a true EVIL design.
It has been said the camera's lens design is a retrofocus design, and that the camera's sensor features offset microlenses. So, the sensor is optimized for a certain light angle of incidence. Combine that with a retrofocus spec, and you might get a specification for a series of interchangeable lenses that could be optimized for that sensor.
Another interesting aspect is the fact that the fastest specified shutter speed is 1/4000s. It's fairly improbable that such a speed can be obtained using a leaf shutter. I suspect the design will use a focal plane shutter - which might also be read as an indication that this design might have the potential for a migration to be the basis of a true EVIL camera system.

Viktor Sebastian
09-20-2010, 09:08

Not to mention the autofocus selector switch.
It looks like it is still firmly in the prototype phase.

CameraQuest
09-20-2010, 09:12
I just started a Fuji X100 forum.

This camera seems to have captured a lot of fan's imagination.

Stephen

tapesonthefloor
09-20-2010, 09:18
There's the focus selector, with MF option. Guys... that's a focus ring. On the lens. A manual focus ring, with what amounts to an augmented-reality optical viewfinder. This camera is a firmware release away from being a true rangefinder.

Or am I crazy? I might be crazy.

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2010/09/20/Photokina-15_540x737.jpg

ywenz
09-20-2010, 09:22
It looks like it's a servo driven MF. In Optical VF mode, there will be an LED on the side to indicate focus achieved.

Frankie
09-20-2010, 09:24
Just can't stop the hunger for more specifications...so, I applied some basic photogrammetry:

Flange to Sensor Plane = 26mm [Brian Sweeney take note...]
Filter size = 46mm [I happen to have a nice wide angle rubber hood...in stock.] :D

The X100 body is 127mm wide (5"), 12mm (1/2") less than an M-body; body thickness [not counting the front grip, LCD and VF protrusions etc.] is ~31mm, 2mm less than the M.

tapesonthefloor
09-20-2010, 09:28
It looks like it's a servo driven MF. In Optical VF mode, there will be an LED on the side to indicate focus achieved.

That's the best news I've heard so far. This is looking like an extremely usable camera to me, and I thought I had pretty specific (read: strange) needs.

PKR
09-20-2010, 09:32

Stephen

Many have been asking for this kind of camera for some time. The success of the Canon G9,10,11 should have been obvious to many camera manufactures.

Fuji was listening and in a position to deliver as requested. My guess is this is the first in a line of high end compact cameras from Fuji. I'll buy one, and likely up grade as the newer variants are released.

Listening to ones customer base can result in a successful product line and profits. Fujifilm didn't get to their position in the camera/film business by being stupid. Now look at Kodak, a company who ignores it's customer base and treats them poorly.

Tell me you don't see the difference..

bigeye
09-20-2010, 09:34
I sold all my cameras this morning and I'm standing outside of B&H. There is a line around the block. News trucks and a couple of mounted police just showed up... Everyone is still pretty cool, but there are quite a few glassy-eyed folks milling about. The cops just lowered their plexi faceshields. Every few minutes the door opens and shouts go out. It's all or nothing, "hell no, we won't go!". I will be able to make good pictures, if I can just get one of these cameras...

Sent from my iPhone

Jaime M
09-20-2010, 09:35

But there looks like 2 cameras! One 35mm lens, big strap lugs and the MF, AF-S, AF-C dial on left position

And the other one 23mm lens, little strap lugs, and the MF, AF-S, AF-C dial on right position

Maybe both are pre-production, maybe prototipes, or maybe an epic fail :D

starless
09-20-2010, 09:36
Probably around the $1500 mark?

tom.w.bn
09-20-2010, 09:36
We don't know anything about the important facts like picture quality or responsiveness. But I must admit that this is one of the most beautiful camera designs I have seen for a while.

tom.w.bn
09-20-2010, 09:37
But there looks like 2 cameras! One 35mm lens, big strap lugs and the MF, AF-S, AF-C dial on left position

And the other one 23mm lens, little strap lugs, and the MF, AF-S, AF-C dial on right position

Yes. I was wrong. Two different design models.

vincentbenoit
09-20-2010, 09:41
None of the mirrorless CDAF cameras have a focusing scale on the lens. Doesn't have to be on the lens. A thumbwheel would work. But at least it should be labelled with a distance scale to allow for prefocusing without having to look in the viewfinder or on the rear LCD screen. This is essential for street photography. Such a basic feature is available on the Sigma DP1/2.

Vincent

jsrockit
09-20-2010, 09:42
Manual focus is not essential for street photography... fast AF works just fine as well.

M like Leica M6
09-20-2010, 09:45

Yes, one of them is already a chinese copy :D

They did something similar in the movie industry some years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvd3kaupZ60

coelacanth
09-20-2010, 09:48
Probably around the $1500 mark?

Multiple Japanese articles are reporting expected MSRP of 120,000 - 150,000 yen so that sounds about right.

RayPA
There's the focus selector, with MF option. Guys... that's a focus ring. On the lens. A manual focus ring, with what amounts to an augmented-reality optical viewfinder. This camera is a firmware release away from being a true rangefinder.

Or am I crazy? I might be crazy.

I've been looking at that ring wondering the same thing. Is it confirmed that it's a MF ring?

Doesn't have to be on the lens. A thumbwheel would work. But at least it should be labelled with a distance scale to allow for prefocusing without having to look in the viewfinder or on the rear LCD screen. This is essential for street photography. Such a basic feature is available on the Sigma DP1/2.

I'm with you on this, Vincent. A focus/distance scale was one of the first things I looked for on the lens. It would have been a very nice addition indeed.

/

tapesonthefloor
Manual focus is not essential for street photography... fast AF works just fine as well.

Depends on if you're looking for a decisive moment or the decisive moment, I suppose. AF takes the art away from me, and turns the whole business into a guessing game. Personally, if I can't turn a focus wheel with my eye pressed against an optical viewfinder, it ain't photography.

But that's my opinion. I know it differs from most.

M like Leica M6
09-20-2010, 09:50

Stephen

Stephen, does Mr. Kobayashi have something similar, too, with a true rangefinder and M lens mount? Maybe with a "ZI" on it? Pleeeaaaasse....

tapesonthefloor
09-20-2010, 09:50
I'm with you on this, Vincent. A focus/distance scale was one of the first things I looked for on the lens. It would have been a very nice addition indeed./

How about an audible, beeping distance scale, where A440 = 2M? :D

wgerrard
09-20-2010, 09:51
The video does sell the sizzle.

The narrator sounds like the guy who does the safety videos for United.

Frankie
09-20-2010, 09:51
......My guess is this is the first in a line of high end compact cameras from Fuji. I'll buy one, and likely up grade as the newer variants are released.

An M9 plus any Leica 35mm lens will set you back $10,000.

For that money, you can afford to buy the X100 now [said to cost ~$1800], add a wider- or zoom-lens version later...and then some.

ywenz
09-20-2010, 09:55
Strange.. there are definitely two versions of the X100 from the pics we've seen one with 35mm lens one with 23mm lens. WTF!?

Pickett Wilson
09-20-2010, 09:55
The M9 killer? ;)

Pickett Wilson
09-20-2010, 09:56
ywenz, actually, I don't think there are ANY versions yet. It's an exercise in lust provocation. :)

ywenz
09-20-2010, 09:58
ywenz, actually, I don't think there are ANY versions yet. It's an exercise in lust provocation. :)

No there are different body and different lens. Lenses have different FOV and different size aperture ring tabs.

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2010/09/20/Photokina-1_540x469.jpg

PKR
09-20-2010, 10:03
Multiple Japanese articles are reporting expected MSRP of 120,000 - 150,000 yen so that sounds about right.

This camera is up for grabs next year. Today Silver is approaching $21/oz and Gold is close to $1,300/oz. What do you expect the exchange rate to be next year with a dollar losing value daily?

The value of gold and silver don't change. Only the relationship of the value changes, as it relates to the fluxuating value various world currencies. It's taking more dollars to buy the same amount of gold or Nikons, than it did last year at this time. And yes, the Yen changes too.

https://online.kitco.com/scripts/cgi-bin/texten.pl

M like Leica M6
09-20-2010, 10:03
Depends on if you're looking for a decisive moment or the decisive moment, I suppose. AF takes the art away from me, and turns the whole business into a guessing game. Personally, if I can't turn a focus wheel with my eye pressed against an optical viewfinder, it ain't photography.

I think we are similar. :)

AF, matrix-metering, many fps... that sounds like Kyūdō, the traditional japanese art of bow shooting, with a rocket launcher. Or driving a Ferrari with an automatic gearbox - and a chauffeur.

Am I getting old? Or wise?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4136/4819809363_bea542a784_o.jpg

jsrockit
09-20-2010, 10:04

A pretty narrow view of what photography is... I don't see much difference between fast AF and zone focus honestly. I know I prefer manual focus with an M, but I'm certainly not going to say that when I use AF I'm not making photos ...

The art is not in tools used, but the finished image (to most people viewing the image).

jsrockit
09-20-2010, 10:08
Strange.. there are definitely two versions of the X100 from the pics we've seen one with 35mm lens one with 23mm lens. WTF!?

Prototype 1 and Prototype 2? I would go with the one in the brochure... by 35mm they probably meant equivilent on the one and actual on the other.

Miserere
09-20-2010, 10:09

That's the whole point of rangefinders, that the OVF doesn't zoom, it has frame lines. An interchangeable lens X100 would keep the same OVF, but the photographer would have the option of seeing through the lens by switching to EVF view.

semilog
Prototype 1 and Prototype 2? I would go with the one in the brochure... by 35mm they probably meant equivilent on the one and actual on the other.

Pretty obvious that that's what's going on here.

tapesonthefloor
A pretty narrow view of what photography is...

Definitely. But I'm a pretty narrow guy, and photography can be whatever I want it to be. Fortunately for us all, I am both unable and unwilling to impose that definition on anyone else.

xayraa33
09-20-2010, 10:11

Maybe it is secretly an interchangeable lens camera :)

Pickett Wilson
09-20-2010, 10:13
By the time this camera is actually introduced, it will never live up to the hype it has received from those lusting after it!

semilog
09-20-2010, 10:18
Definitely. But I'm a pretty narrow guy, and photography can be whatever I want it to be. Fortunately for us all, I am both unable and unwilling to impose that definition on anyone else.

I think that we all have to adapt to our tools, to their strengths and weaknesses, to a greater or lesser extent.

Many of us have a very, very tight relationship with our MF rangefinders, and I daresay that this is especially so with Leica M's.

Perhaps we should remember that all tools require compromise. Even our beloved rangefinders!

This new camera offers some things that the film and even digital M's never offered.

Real-time DOF preview.
DOF scales in the finder.
Focusing to 10 cm.
Perfect parallax correction, all the way down to 10 cm.
Real-time in-finder histogram.
In-finder display of aperture and shutter speed.
etc.

All of this is potentially very useful.

If I can have one or two scale-focus presets (even *just* 2 m would do), I'm good to go.

coelacanth
09-20-2010, 10:24
I really hope this E/OVF hybrid will become a new trend and adapted to other large sensor compacts.

PKR
09-20-2010, 10:24
Maybe it is secretly an interchangeable lens camera :)

Not likely, but maybe in a second or third generation. The camera(s) we are looking at are prototypes. Until you can put your hands on one or read several reviews, it's a guessing game. Who knows, there may be some major advance in the chip driving the AF servo by the time the camera is in production.

It's foolish to get too carried away at this point. But, since it's Fuji, a major player.. there will likely be a camera of this type on the market next year.

I have no idea as to the cost. i would hope under $2,500, given the price point and their claim of "professional" in the description. It could be a lot more. $1,700 would fit both Pro and Amateur markets. Who knows what the dollar vs. Yen will be next year?

Matus
09-20-2010, 10:25
This camera was compared to fuji MF fixed focal cameras, but I do not think that this is a reasonable comparison especially because this camera is digital. I do not doubt the quality of the lens or of the body to make it clear. But the sensor will be old at the time it will be released. With a film camera you would just buy a new film once it would hit the market. With digital in 2 - 3 years you have a camera in hand which, if you want to get a newer model, you will get very little $$$ for and money wise you start from beginning. Realizing this I would be willing to invest less to digital camera than to equivalent film camera (just forget the huge differences in workflow here). So I do not expect buyers standing in a queue if the price will be around $1500. Whether the camera Fuji is preparing for us can be made for less is something I do not know.

Still - this camera jut may be the last nail in the coffin of my resistance going to Photokina this year.

coelacanth
09-20-2010, 10:29
Looks like my Fujica will meet her granddaughter in the spring.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_kWxeki68O7I/TJeMfRkB0cI/AAAAAAAAAwo/oImkk4pMzP8/s400/10%209%3A30%3A56%20AM.jpg

ywenz
09-20-2010, 10:30
This camera was compared to fuji MF fixed focal cameras, but I do not think that this is a reasonable comparison especially because this camera is digital. I do not doubt the quality of the lens or of the body to make it clear. But the sensor will be old at the time it will be released. With a film camera you would just buy a new film once it would hit the market. With digital in 2 - 3 years you have a camera in hand which, if you want to get a newer model, you will get very little $$$ for and money wise you start from beginning. Realizing this I would be willing to invest less to digital camera than to equivalent film camera (just forget the huge differences in workflow here). So I do not expect buyers standing in a queue if the price will be around $1500. Whether the camera Fuji is preparing for us can be made for less is something I do not know.

seriously are we really going to start the digital vs film talk again?

PKR
09-20-2010, 10:31
Still - this camera jut may be the last nail in the coffin of my resistance going to Photokina this year.[/quote]

Matus; Please go to Photokina and shoot some photos of the cameras and report back. Get your hands on some of these "vapor" cameras and tell us what you think. I'll send you beer money!

pkr

Miserere
09-20-2010, 10:32
For the ones, speaking Spanish: http://www.dslrmagazine.com/digital/camaras-de-telemetro-y-especiales/fujifilm-x100-toma-de-con-2.html
I made my way through it, thanks for having Spanish in school for five years, after all, it gave me something...
In short:
-Viewfinder is humongous. They compare it to Leica M.

Allow me to correct you (Spanish is my mother tongue). Valentin Sama says at first sight, [the VF] reminds one in regards to clarity, cleanness and luminosity to the best that's found in cameras such as the M.

That's still high praise!

:)

btgc
09-20-2010, 10:34
Remember, X100 is great news also for those who will not pre-order one. It may happen that market sees good offers from those who will dump their current gear to rush for X100.

Pickett Wilson
09-20-2010, 10:36
btgc, that's what I was thinking. The classifieds should just fill up now with cool, low priced gear!

damien.murphy
09-20-2010, 10:37

I'd imagine the product images are knock-ups. A 23mm lens on APS will net you a 35mm field of view in 35mm film terms

coelacanth
09-20-2010, 10:38
btgc, that's what I was thinking. The classifieds should just fill up now with cool, low priced gear!

+1. I think you'll be able to score GF1, DP1/2 and possibly even some X1 for a good price real soon. (and of course other premium compacts like Canon G series)

Matus
09-20-2010, 10:39
seriously are we really going to start the digital vs film talk again?

No (!) , not my intention. I only commented on a specific camera comparison.

RF_newbie
09-20-2010, 10:39
Get yours ordered today!! ;)
http://www.precision-camera.com/main/fuji-finepix-x100-pre-order-deposit.html

Pickett Wilson
09-20-2010, 10:45
Wow. That was quick. lol

coelacanth
09-20-2010, 10:46
If it really ends up at $1500 MSRP, Fuji will have my money in the spring. Probably it will come down to 1200-1k mark by the "X200" release.

I'd expect Fuji'll releases the second, probably a bit "budget" version like E-PL1 for Oly against E-P1/2 in a 10-12 months time. Then full version up in 1-1.5 years, or do DP1/2 type of system expansion concurrently. Or if they think there is a big enough market, they might bring interchangeable lens version as advanced model.

Haha, I'm already thinking of future-future models. :p But yeah, if the X100 is below/around $1500 mark, I'll be pre-ordering one.

coelacanth
09-20-2010, 10:46

Wow. "Delivery scheduled to start approximately January 17, 2011" Is this for real?? :eek:

ywenz
09-20-2010, 10:47

They are using dpreview's pictures on their site. That can't be legit.

Pickett Wilson
09-20-2010, 10:50
Looks like someone in marketing at Precision camera has been reading this thread!

Matus
09-20-2010, 10:54
I am just wondering - are FX sized sensors still THAT expensive that this camera could not have one? Sony A850 and Canon 5D MarkII are both about costs €1700 - €1800 as of now ... just a thought.

jsrockit
09-20-2010, 10:55

Understood and applauded. :D

PKR
09-20-2010, 10:55
It looks fine. Probably not a lot different than using your forefinger to change shutter speeds on an M.

Do you think this camera has an actual shutter? It doesn't need one or a mirror for that matter.

If the exposure action is totally electronic (my hope) it will be very quiet. My P6K has no shutter, I'm not sure about the 4/3 models. I guess the Leica's do use a shutter in the M8 and M9?

semordnilap
09-20-2010, 10:57
Remember, X100 is great news also for those who will not pre-order one. It may happen that market sees good offers from those who will dump their current gear to rush for X100.

And... that if this is successful, it won't be the last camera of its kind. More ovf/evf combinations will pop up, at different prices... exciting indeed!!!

coelacanth
09-20-2010, 10:59
Looks like the battle of SLR vs RF (I know it's not the right terminology for this kind of camera, but you get the idea) of 21st century is really heating up now.

I bet in 3-5 years time, I'll be able to afford a full-frame EVIL, O/EVF hybrid or RF digital.

Pickett Wilson
09-20-2010, 11:00
Why same digital cameras use mechanical shutters:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledge-center/why-digital-cameras-have-mechanical-shutters.html

ywenz
09-20-2010, 11:01
Do you think this camera has an actual shutter? It doesn't need one or a mirror for that matter.

If the exposure action is totally electronic (my hope) it will be very quiet. My P6K has no shutter, I'm not sure about the 4/3 models. I guess the Leica's do use a shutter in the M8 and M9?

Unless Fuji made significant advancements with this camera, the current sensor technology requires a mechanical shutter for stills purpose.

Pherdinand
09-20-2010, 11:14
this is as close as it gets to the Hexar AF.
Excellent.
Finally a digital camera whos interface (and specs) i seem to like!
Now, of course, nothing is perfect... The hexar af's excellent active double IR autofocus would be nice to have in this body.- would give an edve over all the silly focus-hunting SLR's...

tom.w.bn
09-20-2010, 11:34
Maybe the version with the 23mm lens is the APS-C model and ther version with 35mm lens is the full format 24mm x 36mm model, AKA the M9 killer. :eek:

What a nice thought. Let's make a rumor out of it.

chambrenoire
09-20-2010, 11:36
35mm x 1.5 (APS-C sensor) = 52,5mm
23mm x 1.5 (APS-C sensor) = 34,5mm

Maybe they are releasing a semi-wide and a short tele versions?
:)

I would like a wide angle version, a X100W or something.. 24 or 28mm with a f/2.0-2.8 aperture.

Matus
Maybe the version with the 23mm lens is the APS-C model and ther version with 35mm lens is the full format 24mm x 36mm model, AKA the M9 killer. :eek:

Obviously posting too much on this forum has also some side effects :p

PKR
Unless Fuji made significant advancements with this camera, the current sensor technology requires a mechanical shutter for stills purpose.

What prevents a "frame-grab" from working with an APS-C ? It just needs a storage buffer and some fast LSI ?

Pherdinand
09-20-2010, 11:38
ditto. i'm not a fan of the retro look at all. something more modern with the contours of the leica cl, minolta cle, zeiss ikon, hexar rf, and contax g would have been greatly preferred.

then you should get the sony nex stuff. Definitely not retro looking, and good.

PKR
09-20-2010, 11:42
I am just wondering - are FX sized sensors still THAT expensive that this camera could not have one? Sony A850 and Canon 5D MarkII are both about costs €1700 - €1800 as of now ... just a thought.

Nikon's cost for a FX is rumored to be about $400. I don't know if this figure involved Sony or Nikon's new Fab. And I'm not sure the price point is for the latest 24MP sensor.

ywenz
09-20-2010, 11:45
What prevents a "frame-grab" from working with an APS-C ? It just needs a storage buffer and some fast LSI ?

without a mechnical shutter to "cut-off" light, grabbing snap-in-time data from a sensor will be blurry, due to the fact that the pixels are still gathering light.

ampguy
09-20-2010, 11:53
I would like to volunteer to test one of these out, and write up a review on my blog. Complete with low light images of my cats.

Don Parsons
09-20-2010, 11:58
Wow, 20 pages this quick.

I, for one, would like it to have interchangeable lenses. a 24 2.8, 50 1.4 and an 85 1.8.

I'd get one and never look back....

Doug
09-20-2010, 12:01
The shutter is a question... I haven't seen any mention of the shutter by Fuji except to say it has little/no lag time. The shutter speed dial goes to 1/4000, which I think would eliminate a leaf shutter. But why put a focal plane shutter in a fixed-lens camera? Maybe this custom sensor can indeed capture without a mechanical shutter...

In a related issue, Fuji says there's a 3-stop ND filter... Is this a glass filter that is moved into the light path, or another trick of the sensor?

alexnotalex
09-20-2010, 12:01
I wonder what we'd all get into if fuji sold a gazillion of these and everybody had one?

PKR
09-20-2010, 12:02
without a mechnical shutter to "cut-off" light, grabbing snap-in-time data from a sensor will be blurry, due to the fact that the pixels are still gathering light.

Okay, I understand. How is the no-shutter frame grabbed in a 1.7 sensor?

Frame grabbing was done long ago with a delay line and a good sized buffer. I don't know what would be required with the current size memory dump done with a capture. it's a little out of my league, though I do understand the technology.

alexnotalex
09-20-2010, 12:02
and what about good old digital zoom to turn the 35ish into a 50ish? I could live with 9MP...

tom.w.bn
09-20-2010, 12:12
and what about good old digital zoom to turn the 35ish into a 50ish? I could live with 9MP...

When my calculation is right then you crop 70% away on either side of the frame when you go from 35mm to 50mm. That's in total approx. 50% of the megapixels. That's 6 and not 9MP. Or am I wrong with my calculation?

MartinP
09-20-2010, 12:18
Measuring my carry-around Zorki-1 (which is about the same size as a Barnack Leica II) with the 35mm CV pancake lens on it . . . comes to pretty much the same size as this Fuji. Very very pocketable - actually even smaller as I forgot about the accessory v/f on top of the Zorki.. A hell of a lot of people use 35mm equivalent for the majority of their pictures, so it's an excellent minimalistic idea in my opinion.

If only the X1 had had a pop-up viewfinder instead of a pop-up flash . . . .

febreeze-showered
09-20-2010, 12:26
Man, that thing's sexy. If I had to pick, I probably would go with the 35.

umcelinho
09-20-2010, 12:28
jackpot. :) poor Leica.

jsrockit
09-20-2010, 12:46
If only the X1 had had a pop-up viewfinder instead of a pop-up flash . . . .

I don't get this line of reasoning... the external viewfinder for the X1 is bigger and brighter than anything Leica had in the Minilux and CM. It looks good with the Ext VF too... like a Leica Digital Standard. If they put in the camera it would change the camera's size and would be small and relatively useless.

alexnotalex
09-20-2010, 12:54
When my calculation is right then you crop 70% away on either side of the frame when you go from 35mm to 50mm. That's in total approx. 50% of the megapixels. That's 6 and not 9MP. Or am I wrong with my calculation?

you're righter than me. I could probably live with 6.

jan normandale
09-20-2010, 14:20
This is the digital version of the Yashica GSN

I'm getting both!

SimonSawSunlight
09-20-2010, 14:24
looks about right to me... finally a digital option. :)

xayraa33
09-20-2010, 14:52
I'm getting both!

If this Fuji camera is priced right , it will certainly be a hot seller Jan.
I wonder why it took these camera firms so long to get the idea?

jan normandale
09-20-2010, 14:59
xayraa33, I'm joking! I'd get a Yashica but I think the Fuji will be about $2.000.00 +/-. I've got a couple of film cameras now and I don't really need more. I use the digital I have for sketches, so I don't need two.

It's an interesting market response from Fuji though, I'm glad they decided to provide a RF digital at a price point that will interest people. I'm sure this will lead to a product that will permit interchangeable lenses in due course.

Mister E
09-20-2010, 15:07
I'm ready to buy, but where is the black version?

agfa100
09-20-2010, 16:44
Check this video out on the X100 this is even more slick then it looks.....

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/19/fujifilm-intros-finepix-x100-12-3mp-aps-c-based-camera-with-hyb/

It's about 1/4 down the page...

Enjoy, I know I did....

wbill

Japan---Exposures
09-20-2010, 16:46
I'm surprised not to see a post by Dirk from Japan Exposures yet!

Hello Keith!

Juan Valdenebro
09-20-2010, 16:57
So, does it use real manual focus and a double image rangefinder?

I saw the video and can't be sure...

Cheers,

Juan

semilog
09-20-2010, 17:03
I'm ready to buy, but where is the black version?

I'm ready to buy, too, but where is the Hermes version in chartreuse ostrich skin?

gavinlg
09-20-2010, 17:05

Cheers,

Juan

No. It's autofocus, and has a manual focus ring so therefor must have some sort of manual focus assist.

Juan Valdenebro
09-20-2010, 17:10
No. It's autofocus, and has a manual focus ring so therefor must have some sort of manual focus assist.

Thanks, I just saw your post in the other thread...

Does a camera like that (with aperture control) but with real manual focus through a rangefinder (and flat fix lens) exist?

Cheers,

Juan

Alpacaman
09-20-2010, 17:11

I'm now confused. Why can't an AF lens have real manual focus? I don't see why not, plenty already do.

Edit: Oh wait, I see. I misinterpreted "real manual focus" as to mean mechanical focus linkage, not RF focus. Disregard this comment.

Leigh Youdale
09-20-2010, 17:15
But wait a minute!
I got all excited and frothy too when I read about this - and then I realised I have a Bessa R3A in my car's glove box with the 40/1.4 Nokton lens and about the only thing that the Fuji X100 does "better" is that it's digital. (Assuming digital is 'better')
In every other respect the Bessa is as competent - even better in that it allows lens changes. Great viewfinder, auto or manual exposure, manual focus (sure, that's a killer if you need auto - not!) compact size, excellent prime lens (faster than the Fuji).
But the Bessa uses film.
I like film!
So, sure, the Fuji is an interesting development but my money (whatever it costs) is staying in the bank because I've already got a camera that does the same thing (except for digital and I can scan the negs). What I would lay out for is the Fuji GF670W!

But it surely tipped a bucket on Leica's announcement (whatever that was).

Frankie
09-20-2010, 17:15

Cheers,

Juan

From my experience...and logical deduction:

There is no third [infinity] window, no second [illumination] window, only the OVF window...so, no RF patch, no adjustments, no CLA, no frameline arguments...

The OVF is just for viewing...use AF for focusing.

Alternatively, use the EVF for viewing, focusing [there is a mini-frameline for the AF aim point (?)], DoF...even histogram chimping.

The EVF should work exactly like the Pany or Oly EVF, via AF or manual turning of the lens focusing ring (?); or thumb dial [located where your right thumb would normally be].

The EVF at 1.4M dots is likely the Epson 800 x 600 x 3 (RGB) 12u EVF panel.

See: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0910/09101501epsonhtpspanel.asp

gavinlg
09-20-2010, 17:17
Nope, not since the fixed lens rangefinders of 30-40 years ago.

I expect the AF of this camera to be very competent.

Frankie
09-20-2010, 17:22
......I like film!
So, sure, the Fuji is an interesting development but my money (whatever it costs) is staying in the bank because I've already got a camera that does the same thing (except for digital and I can scan the negs).

You forgot one thing...film/processing/scanning are recurring downstream costs. In my part of the world, it is ~$1/exp for B/W.

We cannot make film, even you process/scan your own, there are still 2/3 the cost to pay...assuming your time has no value, or you enjoy the tasks.