PDA

View Full Version : Dominic Nahr (if he's not on your radar he should be)

emraphoto
06-15-2010, 04:10
http://dominicnahr.com/main/?cat=16

shyoon
06-15-2010, 04:38
Came across his work when a friend of mine met him in Africa. Breathtaking, powerful images.

elude
06-15-2010, 04:44
It's so academic. I'm sorry I think it's good work but that's all. Worth watching and DEFINITELY publishing.

emraphoto
06-15-2010, 05:05
academic? How so?

tomalophicon
06-15-2010, 05:12
Doesn't really strike me at all. But hey, that's not to say it's not good for others.

Rogrund
06-15-2010, 05:17
Great pictures. Thanks for the link.

Spyro
06-15-2010, 05:17
No argument, it is good work.
But to be honest I cant help having the "done to death and back" reaction a little bit... very difficult to add anything new and meaningful to this type of photography.

emraphoto
06-15-2010, 06:24
I actually found it refreshingly non-cliche.

One must also take into account how amazing a feat it is to get the access he does and how very difficult it is to work in some of the regions.

I suppose that is what impresses me, gaining the access and trust in very difficult situations.

emraphoto
06-15-2010, 06:28
Some nice stuff from the streets of Melbourne Spyros, normally I shudder at the thought of "street" but you have the magic!

emraphoto
06-15-2010, 06:29
So back to the "academic" part?

wblanchard
06-15-2010, 07:14
Really nice work. I love his colors! I wish I could shoot as academically sound as he does.

Matus
06-15-2010, 14:03
This kind of images remind us of inconvenient truth that there is world much different than our living room where people fight in endless and often senseless wars and conflicts. I am pretty sure that these images strike strongly those who have have relatives or friends there.

Yes - for most of us just another few "academic" photos of just another conflict somewhere far away where people are suffering ...

Kudos to the photographer who dares to go to places where he may not return safely from.

One may not like the presentation or post processing, but the message is there ...

filmfan
06-15-2010, 14:12
I like this guy's photos. Thanks for the link.

Juan Valdenebro
06-15-2010, 14:33
Great shots... Some of them unforgettable! Thanks for the link... Wonderful color work!

Cheers,

Juan

photo_fred
06-15-2010, 15:10
"But to be honest I cant help having the "done to death and back" reaction a little bit..."
What hasn't been done to death and back.Still worth doing again though.Seeing everythings been done to death,maybe we should all stop doing this.
Nice photos.

TennesseJones
06-15-2010, 15:20
academic? i didn't feel so.
done to death? seems to expose places in the world where people are done to death.
i guess when you're tired of this you're tired of life, as somebody sort of said. which sadly exposes a lot of other questions.
thanks for the link, fascinating.

koniczech
06-15-2010, 18:06
All this talk of 'academic' and 'done to death'...
Is the judgment of this photographer purely on aesthetics? There are a lot more layers than that, I think. He's putting himself in these undesirable situations to report on things we take for granted. That, and he manages to mix up his perspectives quite a bit, in terms of his subjects and his personal perspective. It's enough for me to appreciate his work.

koniczech

Pablito
06-15-2010, 18:21
Formally rigorous and emotionally gut-wrenching. He knows how to move.

Spyro
06-15-2010, 23:07
Like I said, I think the guy produces high quality work without dropping the ball not even once. This should be enough. The problem is probably with me, I feel a little saturated and in need of something fresh.

Some nice stuff from the streets of Melbourne Spyros, normally I shudder at the thought of "street" but you have the magic!

I feel the same for my photography and street photography in general (saturated etc), but thanks heaps for the encouragement :)

shyoon
07-02-2010, 13:39
Dominic Nahr has become the newest Magnum nominee. Congratulations.

http://agency.magnumphotos.com/about/news#AGM2010

gdmcclintock
08-21-2010, 08:41
Nahr's work is standard Magnum fare for the international mass media marketplace: with striking composition and breathtaking color saturation, the photographs exploit the horrors of corruption, poverty and violence for those of us who can afford to purchase the magazines.